The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Anyone playing in 4k on a 980Ti?

Rainwhisper
Rainwhisper
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm looking at 4k, 60 Hz G-Sync monitors, with the understanding that eventually I'll be upgrading my graphics card. In the interim, does anyone have experience with ESO at 4k on an nVidia 980 Ti?

• bennysbeastb16_ESO2
    it wont sustain 60 fps @ 4k ;D simple as that..
    *** Intel Core i9-7940x ***
    *** MSI Ventus 2080TI ***
    *** 32 GB DDR4 2400Mhz ***
    *** Creative Zxr Soundcard ***
    ***2TB M2 nvme SSD ***
    *** Corsair 1200W PSU***
    *** Windows 10 x64 ***
  • Rainwhisper
    Rainwhisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    45 would be fine for me. I don't PvP.
  • Aca2017
    Aca2017
    ✭✭✭
    I have a new system coming, being built now... 1080 Ti dual-SLI. My monitor is a 4K model. Looks like the 1080 Ti 11Gb cards are backordered, so it could be a couple of weeks.

In any event, I will update once I get hands-on, and let you know how it works.
  • MeGa84
    MeGa84
    Soul Shriven
    Running ultra settings @ 2k DSR with sweetFX and a few other enhancements on a 970.

It does usually run at 60 fps and looks great.

Can you confirm a 980ti can't run it on 4k with good fps? If I upgrade that would be close to my goal....

• JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rainwhisper, I used to have a 980 Ti and played ESO fine at 4K. This was before Morrowind so I cannot say if that area would perform well with a 980 Ti, but I suspect it would definitely stay above 45 fps, except in busy cities. I don't remember it dropping below 60 fps except in busy cities. I did not use any reshade or sweetfx enhancers.

When you get to heavily populated areas, the game is CPU limited and most any setup will struggle to maintain 60 fps unless draw distance is reduced. I use Votan's Adaptive Video settings addon (http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1239-VotansAdaptiveVideo-Settings.html) to have the draw distance dynamically adjusted so that will out in the wild I am at 100 draw distance, but it drops in cities to keep frame rate more stable.

EDIT: I am an idiot! When I had the 980 Ti, I had two of them in SLI. So, my comments above were with two in SLI. Sorry, I should not post so early in the morning. Only one card probably would struggle in 4K at max settings.
    Edited by JasonSilverSpring on June 27, 2017 9:20AM
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    980 won't handle 4K, not really, it's gonna be stressed, you'll want a 1070 or better.
  • Aca2017
    Aca2017
    ✭✭✭
    Aca2017 wrote: »
    I have a new system coming, being built now... 1080 Ti dual-SLI. My monitor is a 4K model. Looks like the 1080 Ti 11Gb cards are backordered, so it could be a couple of weeks.

In any event, I will update once I get hands-on, and let you know how it works.

Update: System is in, have had a chance to play in moderately graphically intensive content (dolmen farming).

2xSLI 1080 Ti, 3840x2160, all graphics settings maxed (but "grass" off). Ambient FPS (just standing around, not doing anything) between 60 and 80, depending on the distance to the "horizon" (somewhat lower FPS outdoors in open terrain). FPS in mass combat, between ~30 and ~40. My game sessions so far have not been at peak times, so not a huge number of players in view, but lots of particle system activity.

The game is gorgeous on a large display at this resolution. I expect 2xSLI 980 Ti would be playable, especially with slightly detuned graphics settings.

Hope that helps.
  • DanStartheFirst
    DanStartheFirst
    ✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    980 won't handle 4K, not really, it's gonna be stressed, you'll want a 1070 or better.

A 1070 is on par with a 980 Ti and yes a 980Ti can do 4K 45 fps with ark nvm eso so I would imagine at least 45 fps with a game that is less demanding

Edit: This is with highest stable overclock I could get with the reference cooler
    Edited by DanStartheFirst on July 7, 2017 6:20AM
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apart from whether or not a 980 will be able to handle 4K, unless you're upgrading your GPU in the short run I suggest waiting with purchasing a monitor. People around me have done several purchases with 'future-proofing' in mind, but that generally just made things more expensive for them. I.e. buying a fancy CPU that had better specs than what they needed at the time, with the idea that they'd need/want those specs to be able to enjoy their PC longer. But by the time those fancy CPUs would actually be put to full use, the rest of the PC wasn't nearly up to par and other expensive parts needed replacements.

Buying the monitor in advance will mean you're spreading the costs of several bigger purchases over a larger period of time, instead of having to pay both your GPU and monitor at once. Maybe that's the whole point, and in that case I'd say go for it. But if you have the option and patience to wait, I suggest doing so. Any monitor you see today will almost certainly be cheaper in a couple of months, or you'll be able to buy a slightly better model than current ones for about the same price (technology keeps advancing, after all :wink:).
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • DanStartheFirst
    DanStartheFirst
    ✭✭✭
    Was doing some 4K testing with my SC 980 @ stock speeds 25-45 fps in cities and a steady 70 fps where there are no other players around. So I would say 4K on a 980 Ti totally playable unless you pvp/stream.
  • Kanar
    Kanar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play on a 4k freesync monitor with an and r9 290 (over clocked, but still weaker than all cards mentioned in this thread). Solo is 55-60 fps. Group battles in dungeon or dolmen is 25 -30 which is still playable. I don't notice any jitters or stuttering. Just have to adjust your settings. For example, AA is unneeded at 4k 28", turn shadows down, and adjust draw distance and particles.
  • mettallus
    mettallus
    Soul Shriven
    Make sure you VSYNC is turned off. I play on a 980gtx hybrid @4k resolutions all day long doing PvP only. works just fine.
  • DanStartheFirst
    DanStartheFirst
    ✭✭✭
    Kanar wrote: »
    I play on a 4k freesync monitor with an and r9 290 (over clocked, but still weaker than all cards mentioned in this thread). Solo is 55-60 fps. Group battles in dungeon or dolmen is 25 -30 which is still playable. I don't notice any jitters or stuttering. Just have to adjust your settings. For example, AA is unneeded at 4k 28", turn shadows down, and adjust draw distance and particles.

Yeah draw distance and particles are the real killer setting if you don't have a decent cpu
  • THWIP71
    THWIP71
    ✭✭✭✭
    I play on a Titan X 12GB Hybrid (Maxwell) @ 2560x1440p / 60fps on a 60" Samsung 4K TV. The Titan X is capable of 4K/60fps on some games, but the constant lag/stuttering issues with ESO, make it necesary to step down to 1440p to achieve a stable(ish) framerate and performance.
  • Ahmbor
    Ahmbor
    ✭✭✭
    I have a new system coming, being built now... 1080 Ti dual-SLI..

He falls for the SLI meme...

Even a old GTX780 can play ESO in 4k with 50~fps. With everything on max. ESO is CPU heavy, not GPU.
  • bennysbeastb16_ESO2
    Ahmbor wrote: »

Even a old GTX780 can play ESO in 4k with 50~fps. With everything on max. ESO is CPU heavy, not GPU.

your talking sh*t dude, nvidia 1080 check video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc_bIRzuLmI u can clearly see that it uses over 6gb of vram @ 4k which your 780 only has 3gb.. so .....id like to see a video of you doing it,... b funny to watch.
    also 1080 allot more powerful that 980ti, let alone your 780..lmao
    Edited by bennysbeastb16_ESO2 on July 18, 2017 9:17AM
    ***2TB M2 nvme SSD ***
    *** Corsair 1200W PSU***
    *** Windows 10 x64 ***
  • DanStartheFirst
    DanStartheFirst
    ✭✭✭

your talking sh*t dude, nvidia 1080 check video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc_bIRzuLmI u can clearly see that it uses over 6gb of vram @ 4k which your 780 only has 3gb.. so .....id like to see a video of you doing it,... b funny to watch.

cant even get over 35% gpu usage with my card idk what kinda potato that guy was using, must've been running more than one game
    Edit: also only hit 2100mb of vram usage in the exact same spot as the guy in the vid letting all textures load ect
    Edited by DanStartheFirst on July 19, 2017 9:47AM
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That guy needs to Git gud . Wth is this ?
  • GrigorijMalahevich
    GrigorijMalahevich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 1080ti kills it, np. View distance though...

On 2k I can max everything possible and get 60min fps in cities, but sometimes it has to load for a millisecond - when you turn around after entering a city.

on 4K view distance kills fps and ultra settings - difficult to have constant 60fps
    PC/EU 800 CP.
    PvP MagSorc.
    Pedro Gonzales - Mag Sorc EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/CB6j6
    Valera Progib - Stam Sorc DC vMA Flawless Conqueror clear https://i.imgur.com/eYgpXG2.png
    Valera Pozhar - Mag DK EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/jrsuK
    Valera Podlechi - Mag Templar AD vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/N0BYq
  • InvitationNotFound
    InvitationNotFound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, I think the most important part is your CPU.

I've built a new PC last year with a gtx 1060. First I've played on an old monitor with a mediocre resolution (not even 1080p). Afterwards I've switched to 4k. The frame rate approximately stayed the same.

According to feedback I've received from other players (one having 2x gtx 1080 (or 1060 at that time, not so sure right now)) the graphic card didn't matter that much and CPU was what was having a huge impact on performance, at least if it is anything decent.

So if you build a new PC or if you have a decent graphic card (and want to improve something) you should focus on the CPU imho. Get something with a higher frequency rate instead of more cores.

regarding my pc's specs:
    32gb ram (doesn't really matter)
    GTX1060 G1 GAMING 6GD
    Intel CPU Core i7-6700K 4.0 GHz

While standing still I get around 90fps in wrothgar (or however this city's name is spelled).
    In PvP I'm around 20-70 fps, depending on the situation.

All of this with max graphics (except water reflection, which is only set to high) on 4k.

Again, the guy with the two gtx 1080 had approximately the same fps.
    We want firing off Dark Exchange in the middle of combat to feel awesome... - The Wrobler
    You know you don't have to be here right? - Rich Lambert
    Verrätst du mir deinen Beruf? Ich würde auch gerne mal Annahmen dazu schreiben, wie simple die Aufgaben anderer sind. - Kai Schober

Addons:
    RdK Group Tool: esoui DE EN FR
    Port to Friend's House: esoui DE EN FR - Library: DE EN
    Yet another Compass: esoui DE EN FR
    Group Buffs: esoui DE EN FR
  • bennysbeastb16_ESO2

I've built a new PC last year with a gtx 1060. First I've played on an old monitor with a mediocre resolution (not even 1080p). Afterwards I've switched to 4k. The frame rate approximately stayed the same.

According to feedback I've received from other players (one having 2x gtx 1080 (or 1060 at that time, not so sure right now)) the graphic card didn't matter that much and CPU was what was having a huge impact on performance, at least if it is anything decent.

So if you build a new PC or if you have a decent graphic card (and want to improve something) you should focus on the CPU imho. Get something with a higher frequency rate instead of more cores.

regarding my pc's specs:
    GTX1060 G1 GAMING 6GD

While standing still I get around 90fps in wrothgar (or however this city's name is spelled).

All of this with max graphics (except water reflection, which is only set to high) on 4k.

im lost on who your refrencing 'the guy with sli' ? if its in regards to the video i posted, he has 1 gfx card, the numbers in the top corner are the cpu cores 1-4 5-8, if you look closely, also 1060 has 6gb vram, same as 980ti.. 1080 has 8gb vram and 1080ti has 11gb, any1 that pushing 4k textures on max, will b pushin over 6gb of vram, meaning your card performance will dramitically drop, which means your fps do too, doesnt matetr how demanding the game is to CPU, if you dont have the power to produce the gfx, and all those particles etc. You wont get 60fps, Plain and simple,,.

* and as you can see from my signature, im talking from experience, **
    * *and ive had 780/780ti/980 sli/ and the 980ti (card im at now)..

***2TB M2 nvme SSD ***
    *** Corsair 1200W PSU***
    *** Windows 10 x64 ***
  • DanStartheFirst
    DanStartheFirst
    ✭✭✭

regarding my pc's specs:
    GTX1060 G1 GAMING 6GD

im lost on who your refrencing 'the guy with sli' ? if its in regards to the video i posted, he has 1 gfx card, the numbers in the top corner are the cpu cores 1-4 5-8, if you look closely, also 1060 has 6gb vram, same as 980ti.. 1080 has 8gb vram and 1080ti has 11gb, any1 that pushing 4k textures on max, will b pushin over 6gb of vram, meaning your card performance will dramitically drop, which means your fps do too, doesnt matetr how demanding the game is to CPU, if you dont have the power to produce the gfx, and all those particles etc. You wont get 60fps, Plain and simple,,.

* and as you can see from my signature, im talking from experience, **
    * *and ive had 780/780ti/980 sli/ and the 980ti (card im at now)..

On an old forum post i read back in the day basically same question that started this thread except it was about 780Tis. People were running 4k max settings with their 3gb of Vram getting decent fps and using 2.1-2.9Gb of vram. Eso isn't the vram hog that gta is. For ex im pushing 9gb of vram usage in gta @1080P ~65% gpu usage. In eso @1080 i use 1.2gb of vram ~ 25% gpu usage
    Edited by DanStartheFirst on July 21, 2017 4:49AM