The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Shields shouldn't stack, and recasting them shouldn't refresh

• Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »
    DHale wrote: »
    I have not stacked shields since dark brotherhood a four second period of two shield is not worth it. They are knocked off in a few seconds anyway. Any stamina user with a two hander can bust all but the bast sorcs down in a few seconds. I play on na pc and there are three sorcs I truly fear the arcane, force siphon, irylias, and German who has another name. There are a few other good ones but with a two hander stam sorc or stam DK it is manageable for most experienced players.

Thank you. I mean with CP cost reduction removed stacking shields will not be even viable.

Even in the current meta - and I made a post about this - casting 2 shields is such a resource waste for what turns out to be 4-5 second shield which gets burst down so fast.

So many people complaining that just need to learn how to burst Sorcs. It's not that hard. Just root a Sorc and force them to waste Stam and they can't survive at all. That's just one spam strat I see people use that is very effective.

that is just not true.
    everything in that comment is just not true.

I've mained a Sorc since year 1 - yes it is.
    Drishtan wrote: »
    I have not stacked shields since dark brotherhood a four second period of two shield is not worth it. They are knocked off in a few seconds anyway. Any stamina user with a two hander can bust all but the bast sorcs down in a few seconds. I play on na pc and there are three sorcs I truly fear the arcane, force siphon, irylias, and German who has another name. There are a few other good ones but with a two hander stam sorc or stam DK it is manageable for most experienced players.

Thank you. I mean with CP cost reduction removed stacking shields will not be even viable.

Even in the current meta - and I made a post about this - casting 2 shields is such a resource waste for what turns out to be 4-5 second shield which gets burst down so fast.

So many people complaining that just need to learn how to burst Sorcs. It's not that hard. Just root a Sorc and force them to waste Stam and they can't survive at all. That's just one spam strat I see people use that is very effective.

You ever see a sorc run amberplasm? You cant run them out of stam period.

Bone pirate got a nerf but amberplasm didnt???

Thats balanced for sure....

I run several PvP builds - Amberplasm was one of them with Pirate Skeleton

Unless some Sorc you're playing puts Stam regen on every piece they can - I don't know what you're talking about.

Running spell power and 1 regen glyph still nets just at 1200. Go fight a DK or someone really good at root rotations and you'll run out very fast against them especially with poisons.

The only thing that needs to be removed or nerf hammered is Pirate Skeleton. I don't use it anymore because it feels like cheating.

You should start playing other classes instead of coming here to dimiss other's opinions that look for class balance. Because that was we were promised BALANCE.

No nerfs to sorcs, but nerfs to the other 3 classes = NO BALANCE

You should start by L2P your existing classes and playing Sorc also. Going on PTS helps too. Then talk about balance.

You need to l2p what's coming, this is PTS and not live. On live NBs play one way, on PTS that way's not working anymore
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Silly simply silly,

Obviously doing both would be Overkill, but that's what you want isn't it?

what's "Overkill" is the ability to cast those shields like that constantly and survive large groups of people attacking you in pvp and also pve.
    it is overpowered.

What about spamming Ambush or Fear? That's not OP?

What fear? That skill is dead for stamblades, there's no way to use it anymore

U crazy bro? Fear is a dead skill? Its the best CC in the game.

How much does fear cost for a stamblade? Were's the way to recover MAGICKA to cast it reliable? Because without SS, theres no way it's gonna be a reliable skill.

It is a great skill, but in a class that has no way to convert stam into magicka, is nearly useless

You still have recovery you know. I have under 900 magicka recovery and don't use SA on live and I have 0 problems fearing, cloaking or using shadow image when needed.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Silly simply silly,

what's "Overkill" is the ability to cast those shields like that constantly and survive large groups of people attacking you in pvp and also pve.
    it is overpowered.

How much does fear cost for a stamblade? Were's the way to recover MAGICKA to cast it reliable? Because without SS, theres no way it's gonna be a reliable skill.

It is a great skill, but in a class that has no way to convert stam into magicka, is nearly useless

You still have recovery you know. I have under 900 magicka recovery and don't use SA on live and I have 0 problems fearing, cloaking or using shadow image when needed.

How many points in CP recovery? magicka pool size? HA or medium? Gear?
    Edited by Xvorg on April 27, 2017 10:03PM

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Silly simply silly,

it is overpowered.

@IzakiBrotherSs I'm going to assume it's HA... well, bad news, constitution is gonna be nerfed next patch.

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juhasow wrote: »
    Does anyone who complaining here at sorcerers shields beeing OP and calling for total nerfs played atleast 5 minutes on PTS to check how new changes affected shieldstacking ?

I am asking without any sarcasm and irony seriously.

Have you played the other classes with the same exact nerfs sorcs got and the nerfs their class got as well???

Really I wait!!!

It's very rude to answer question with question. That rudness can suggest that Your answer is no :wink:
    Edited by Juhasow on April 27, 2017 11:02PM
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kilandros wrote: »
    Does anyone who complaining here at sorcerers shields beeing OP and calling for total nerfs played atleast 5 minutes on PTS to check how new changes affected shieldstacking ?

Played MagSorc in Battlegrounds extensively on PTS. It's top dog.

Mag Sorc is top dog in content without CP's and with high nerfs to costs ? Interresting.
    Still I am wondering where is the catch :wink:
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Akimbro wrote: »
    Then under your premise shouldn't dots do the same then? Not being able to reapply them before they expire??

Yes ! Also heals shouldnt heal You until enenmie will take off amount HP that was healed. Balllllllanseee
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I want shield mechanics brought down to earth as much as the next guy, but those ideas aren't my personal preference.

I would rather have shields completely separated​ from the player's mitigation. Yes they should be boosted by Bastion but absolutely not Hardy and Ele Defender. Additionally, they should not be able to be buffed by Major/Minor Protection or whatever other buffs they have access to.

Additionally, any DOTs applied to an un-shielded player should not be soaked by a newly-applied damage shield.
    Edited by Solariken on April 27, 2017 11:20PM
  • Kalante
    Kalante
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nerf necropontence too! It's funny how so many sets have gotten nerfed except this one.
    Edited by Kalante on April 27, 2017 11:49PM
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anti_Virus wrote: »
    Feanor wrote: »
    Sure. Nerf shields (again). If my Sorc gets a reliable burst heal instead I do not complain.

Twilight Matriarch.

Sorry....

So essentially every Sorc should be forced to run a pet build. Oooookaaay.

Not if you don't want reliable healing.

Yes I get it would be more to your taste if all Sorcs just died without giving so much fight. Sorry they hurt you.

No no no no, you can still stack hardend ward and healing ward, I was just saying that you do have a reliable Burst heal.

Lets not mention pets and Cyrodiil PVP as 'viable' anymore can we? Lets see you try it.

that is just not true.

Unless some Sorc you're playing puts Stam regen on every piece they can - I don't know what you're talking about.

Running spell power and 1 regen glyph still nets just at 1200. Go fight a DK or someone really good at root rotations and you'll run out very fast against them especially with poisons.

The only thing that needs to be removed or nerf hammered is Pirate Skeleton. I don't use it anymore because it feels like cheating.

You should start playing other classes instead of coming here to dimiss other's opinions that look for class balance. Because that was we were promised BALANCE.

No nerfs to sorcs, but nerfs to the other 3 classes = NO BALANCE

No nerf to Sorcs = no balance? Lol. I bet if Nightblades or whatever you play got buffed you wouldn't be here.

It's irrational people incapable of coherent discussion that have tunnel vision that ruin games because all they do is complain complain complain until they get their way.

All you see is nerf and all of a sudden the sky is falling and everything is broken.

MMOs are NEVER balanced. Ever.

Go ahead and flame on man but removing cost reduction and recovery is a nerf to Sorc but you , and most people raging without even playing the patch, obviously do not play Sorcs.

Mageblades rely on cloak mostly so they have to be casting it each 3 secs to be alive.

Mageblade playing stye at this moment is ranged, so neither CW, Fear, and refreshing path is worth slotting

jackie-chan-whut.jpg
    So you thing melee mageblade is viable? DW/SB/destro?

He's insanely good with any nightblade... let's just leave it there.
  • Syrusthevirus187
    Syrusthevirus187
    ✭✭✭✭

you do that allready, you completely remove our stealth, and in the patch notes it says that the damage from stealth atacks were removed.

[/quote]

Wow really? They removed all damage from stealth attacks?
    That just seems crazy.....
    Or maybe you read it wrong.

• NightbladeMechanics
    NightbladeMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

But are they top dog due to shield stacking specifically, or because of Streak, Dark Conversion, innately high burst due to multiple unblockable or undodgeable nukes layering into a single global cooldown, and shields working in tandem?
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Excellence without elitism
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend
    NA/PC's original dueling and PvP community guild
    Now NA/PC's dueling, BGs, small scale, GvG, and general PvP community. We float just under 500 members. Mail me in game for an invite.

Apex Predator.

Here's a great thread collecting community ideas for PvP updates.

[MEGATHREAD] Feedback Threads for Class Reps

Class Representative Feedback Discords:
    Nightblade Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/t2Xhnu6

Dragonknight Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/UHtZhz8

Sorcerer Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/e3QkCS8

Templar Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/WvVuSw7

Warden Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/sTFY4ys

General Healing Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/6CmzBFb

TONKS!
    https://discord.gg/DRNYd39

Werewolf Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/aDEx2ev

Vampire Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/yfzck8Q
  • Kilandros
    Kilandros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

But are they top dog due to shield stacking specifically, or because of Streak, Dark Conversion, innately high burst due to multiple unblockable or undodgeable nukes layering into a single global cooldown, and shields working in tandem?

It's a combination, sure. There's nothing wrong with a class that has high mobility and high burst nukes layered into a single global cooldown. There is, however, something wrong with a class that has those things and access to the single best form of mitigation in the game. Sorc should be mobile and it should have high damage. It just shouldn't have those and the best defense.

Invictus
    Kilandros - Dragonknight / Grand Overlord
    Deimos - Templar / Grand Warlord
    Sias - Sorcerer / Prefect
    Short answer is DKs likely won't be seeing a ton of changes before we go live; this class is still quite powerful (as it should be being a tank), even after some of the adjustments we've made to other classes and abilities.

DK IS NOT JUST A TANK CLASS. #PLAYTHEWAYYOUWANT
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When they say a nerf to Constitution do they mean the resource return the health Regen or both?
    Edited by Waffennacht on April 28, 2017 1:04AM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When they say a nerf to Constitution do they mean the resource return the health Regen or both?

Heavy Armor
    Constitution: Reduced the Magicka and Stamina restored by this passive ability by approximately 42%.

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • NightbladeMechanics
    NightbladeMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It's a combination, sure. There's nothing wrong with a class that has high mobility and high burst nukes layered into a single global cooldown. There is, however, something wrong with a class that has those things and access to the single best form of mitigation in the game. Sorc should be mobile and it should have high damage. It just shouldn't have those and the best defense.

Have you played without Pirate Skeleton and Harness Magicka on PTS?

I haven't played my sorc on PTS, so I'm curious how sorc defense feels under those conditions. Sorc's power can be difficult to distinguish from its non-class crutches.
    Edited by NightbladeMechanics on April 28, 2017 2:25AM
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend
    Now NA/PC's dueling, BGs, small scale, GvG, and general PvP community. We float just under 500 members. Mail me in game for an invite.

Apex Predator.

Nightblade Discussion:

Dragonknight Discussion:

Sorcerer Discussion:

Templar Discussion:

Warden Discussion:

TONKS!

Werewolf Discussion:

Vampire Discussion:
  • Kilandros
    Kilandros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I haven't played my sorc on PTS, so I'm curious how sorc defense feels under those conditions. Sorc's power can be difficult to distinguish from its non-class crutches.

I refuse to use Pirate Skeleton on MagSorc on Live or PTS. But I do use Harness + Hardened and it's pretty godly on PTS.
    Invictus
    Short answer is DKs likely won't be seeing a ton of changes before we go live; this class is still quite powerful (as it should be being a tank), even after some of the adjustments we've made to other classes and abilities.

• NightbladeMechanics
    NightbladeMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I refuse to use Pirate Skeleton on MagSorc on Live or PTS. But I do use Harness + Hardened and it's pretty godly on PTS.

Is it godly because alternating your two shields keeps you alive better than spamming one, or because of the sustain from harness?

Do me a favor. Remorph to dampen, play a while with that, and report back. I'm curious too see if your impression of sorc shield stacking is rooted in the mitigation from alternating shields under each other while under attack, or in the sustain obtained from harness making you feel like you can shield spam forever.

Harness is one of few sustain sources which still restores resources based on max stat, and the max magicka level where it pays for itself and hardened is in the low 40k range.
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend

Apex Predator.

Nightblade Discussion:

Dragonknight Discussion:

Sorcerer Discussion:

Templar Discussion:

Warden Discussion:

TONKS!

Werewolf Discussion:

Vampire Discussion:
  • Kilandros
    Kilandros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Is it godly because alternating your two shields keeps you alive better than spamming one, or because of the sustain from harness?

Do me a favor. Remorph to dampen, play a while with that, and report back. I'm curious too see if your impression of sorc shield stacking is rooted in the mitigation from alternating shields under each other while under attack, or in the sustain obtained from harness making you feel like you can shield spam forever.

Harness is one of few sustain sources which still restores resources based on max stat, and the max magicka level where it pays for itself and hardened is in the low 40k range.

I would have no problem dropping Harness entirely in Battlegrounds. I've been using it because I'm used to animation cancelling double stacking shields and weapon swapping.
    Invictus

• H4RDFOX
    H4RDFOX
    ✭✭✭
    Nerf shield stacking so one overrides the other? Wow, couldn't that same concept be used to justify nerfs to other classes/abilities and mechanics? I don't know, like no DOT/HOT/AOE stacking. If I have curse on me, maybe I shouldn't be hit by any other magicka based ability. I shouldn't have both sorc pets attacking me at once, that's OP. I should be in a 1v1 situation every time no matter how many players are in the battlefield, its OP to have Xv1. Ridiculous!
    #NoEasyProps
  • ofSunhold
    ofSunhold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make them longer, and they don't have to stack. They're six seconds, they require constant freaking maintenance and two precious slots on the ability bars, so sure: make them longer and I promise I'll only use one.

My magblade requests you start with Annulment/Harness Magicka, which would make wearing light armor a lot less suck. If Evasion's 20 seconds is too much to ask, I'll take Immovable's 15. Please and thank you.

But no, sorry, they need to refresh. No free window of unshielded sorc.
    Classes that don't need any class ability nerfs: Nightblades, Dragonknights, Sorcs, Templars, Wardens.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casting Hardened Ward followed by a Harness Magicka should simply displace the Hardened Ward. Furthermore, recasting a shield before it has expired should not return the shield to full.

#NERFSHIELDSTACKING

Let's make this happen. Incoming Sorc tears.

You should not be able to heal before you dropped under 30% health.

That´s about the same quality of post.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I challenge you to play with only one shield for a week (specifically without harness for sustain) on a built not utilizing more max magica than 40k. If you come back and still say you should not be able to refresh hardened ward - hey, you do you.

But before you do that - please try to think of ways to adress whats broken about sorc (harness stacking, pirate skeleton, dark deal) WITHOUT ruining the class when not using those.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Silly simply silly,

You're wrong. You need to L2P and stop crutching on OP shield stacking. In the long run I'm doing you a favor.

Well its not exactly a L2P issue, when its kinda the only viable form of defense that a Sorc has... They don't synergize well with heavy armor because they don't have any sustain tools outside of cost reduction and recovery, they don't have any class heals (outside of the Twilight and Surge).

Shield stacking used to be OP. Its pretty laughable now to what it used to be, to be honest. Everyone does much more damage than before, and shields haven't changed. I mean I can smoke through both shields on any class that I know how to play properly (except MagDK cause DoTs = free magicka for the Sorc and wearing down shields doesn't work when shielding is so easy). Its really never been a problem for me. In a 1v1, yes shields are very strong defensive mechanics. But as you probably know, they kinda suck when it comes to open world and when you have multiple people on you, much like Healing and very much unlike Resistances, % Mitigation and Block which always keep the same effectiveness and even less like Roll Dodge which becomes more effective the more incoming damage there is.

Plus no need to be rude to every Sorc you meet.

Yup. I don't care about sorcs in open world. But as a stam NB and the higher tier magicka sorcs in a duel.... you know the the rest. In 1v1 a top shelf magicka sorc can basically hang back and keep shields up almost the entire duel without too much issue.

Thing is, with battlegrounds being true closed off small scale melee pvp, magicka sorcs could still pose an annoyance. With many players probably calling them "op".

If every other class is being balanced, then sorcs and their shields should be addressed to.
    Because they are, both stamina and magicka, they've had too much ZoS love.

Well stam sorcs only became "good" last year sometime in the Fall I think. Maybe late summer? And since then ZOS slightly toned down stam sorcs to what they are right now.

Magicka sorcs on the other hand.... Farm the gear, have enough CP, search Google and YouTube for a guide on skill rotations, and you'll be pretty much with shields up all the time and a nightmare in a duel. Even for another good player with another class.
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Silly simply silly,

it is overpowered.

@IzakiBrotherSs I'm going to assume it's HA... well, bad news, constitution is gonna be nerfed next patch.

@Xvorg Heavy armor stamblade? That's an insult.

6 medium 1 heavy. DW/2H.
    Edited by Izaki on April 28, 2017 9:36AM
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Witar
    Witar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silly simply silly,

what's "Overkill" is the ability to cast those shields like that constantly and survive large groups of people
    You should blame poorly balanced pirate skeleton set for that, not shields. But than again, templars can do even better in it.

It cannot be seen, cannot be felt,
    Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt,
    It lies behind stars and under hills,
    And empty holes it fills,
    It comes first and follows after,
    Ends life, kills laughter.
  • TipsyDrow
    TipsyDrow
    ✭✭✭✭

that is just not true.

LMFAO i am a DK and I constantly petrify and talons. Against a good sorc they never run out of stam...

You're a bad DK with a crappy build then.
    Oooh, what do we have here? Another scrumptious young plaything straight out of life and into my club? Mmm... you smell new, little boy, like fabric softener dew on freshly mowed Astroturf. Oh, I'm not frightening you, am I, duckling?
    Love, Mistress Pigtails
  • TipsyDrow
    TipsyDrow
    ✭✭✭✭
    Akimbro wrote: »
    Then under your premise shouldn't dots do the same then? Not being able to reapply them before they expire??

If they can't be purged, sure.

Class dots should not be purgable. They should haven never been prugable. Cleanse and purge make dot builds in pvp irrelevant. Cleanse and purge should only remove nagative debufs, not damage dots from classes. Just more poor design from this dev team.
    Oooh, what do we have here? Another scrumptious young plaything straight out of life and into my club? Mmm... you smell new, little boy, like fabric softener dew on freshly mowed Astroturf. Oh, I'm not frightening you, am I, duckling?
    Love, Mistress Pigtails
  • KingJ
    KingJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TipsyDrow wrote: »

that is just not true.

LMFAO i am a DK and I constantly petrify and talons. Against a good sorc they never run out of stam...

You're a bad DK with a crappy build then.
    A magdk will not defeat a equal skilled sorc unless with complete luck like the sorc lagged and couldn't switch bars to apply harness magic and the hardened half way down and that DK leap and proc a skoria at the same time and then couldn't use healing ward.Top Magdk know the best you can hope for is a draw against a magic sorc as a magdk.
  • FlyLionel
    FlyLionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    "What about spamming Ambush or Fear? That's not OP?" @grim_tactics

You can spam crit rush/any gap closer. What is your point? And who spams fear? You know that people get CC'd once and there is immunity after right?

Shields been in the game forever, without them mag sorc would be in heavy armour because there survivability would be worse than magnb. Now; with sustain changes imagine two stamina users or just two players in general against one magsorc..CC uptime at full+that much damage? Yikes, full spec into sustain check.
    Silly simply silly,

Edited by FlyLionel on April 28, 2017 12:53PM
    The Flyers