The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Battlegrounds: Dead on Arrival?

• Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say, i hate to be right, but im not
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMA | vDSA | vMoL | ALL Vet 4 Man Dungeons

• Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone want to change their vote now that BGs have been on PTS?
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:

• Poliwrath
    Poliwrath
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - BGs are going to be awesome
    If theres enough ppl queuing to where premades are fighting each other, and solo/duos are fighting each other then itll be fine. Otherwise you get 4qs stomping pugs so ppl just stop playing. If thts the case on live theyre gonna die pretty quick to where only a few 4qs will be fighting each other over and over
    Edited by Poliwrath on April 25, 2017 6:33PM
  • Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poliwrath wrote: »
    If theres enough ppl queuing to where premades are fighting each other, and solo/duos are fighting each other then itll be fine. Otherwise you get 4qs stomping pugs so ppl just stop playing. If thts the case on live theyre gonna die pretty quick to where only a few 4qs will be fighting each other over and over

which was one of my concerns and something thats being reported on the PTS right now.

sure when live goes live we'll see more people queueing but for how long? how many crushing premade vs 1/2 pug/pug defeats are people going to tolerate before saying screw it?
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    PvE:

• IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rickter wrote: »
    Does anyone want to change their vote now that BGs have been on PTS?

Battlegrounds are still under NDA. You can only talk about class balance of existing 4 classes.

Edited by IxSTALKERxI on April 26, 2017 3:41AM
    NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One more thing:

Can anyone explain to me where a by design 33% to 67% loss ratio is going to motivate players?

I mean that would be the ideal with match making. In reality it´s only going to be worse for anyone not in the top 5% of the playerbase.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No - BGs are DOA
    It'll be hypehypehype for the first weeks. Then "Meh, I'm travelling back to Cyrodiil, see you!"
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • Dyride
    Dyride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how much extra server load is going to come with Breath of life "Smart healing" an 180° arc?
    Edited by Dyride on April 26, 2017 4:14PM
    V Є H Є M Є И C Є
      Ḍ̼̭͔yride

Revenge of the Bear

ØMNI
      Solongandthanksforallthef
      Revenge of the Hist
      Revenge of the Deer

Remember the Great Burn of of the Blackwater War!

#FreeArgonia
    1. SPE825
      SPE825
      ✭✭✭
      No - BGs are DOA
      All of these issues aside, it'll probably be pre-mades that ruin it for most people. In SWTOR, pre-mades were what made sick of PvP there. I mean there's not a lot you can do about it though. If you separate them, then it'll be huge waits to just play. Just realize if you PUG, you'll most likely get stomped.

With how bad the dungeon queue is, I'm curious to see how successful they are in creating a better queue system here as well.
    2. Rickter
      Rickter
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      SPE825 wrote: »
      All of these issues aside, it'll probably be pre-mades that ruin it for most people. In SWTOR, pre-mades were what made sick of PvP there. I mean there's not a lot you can do about it though. If you separate them, then it'll be huge waits to just play. Just realize if you PUG, you'll most likely get stomped.

With how bad the dungeon queue is, I'm curious to see how successful they are in creating a better queue system here as well.

premades/stacked teams are already a problem on the PTS but its not getting major visibility because people essentially think its the sample size.

the problem is: that "sample size" are the most enthusiastic BGers in the game. sure some like myself will make it regular when the update goes live but right now, those enthusiastic premades are going to be the foundation and backbone that keeps BGs going.

meaning: premades stomping pugs all day. and can you believe people in this thread like @paulsimonps said the queue system was going to filter for that? as if he ignored the dungeon finder track record ZOS already has. . .lol
      RickterESO
      PC | NA | DC
      YouTube
      PvE:

3. Rohaus
      Rohaus
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Matchmaking will most likely not be all that great... based on my experiences of battlegrounds in WoW, mini-games in Age of Conan, and structured PvP in GW2... I'd say there indeed will be pros and cons... fun times and bad times...

If it winds up where a pug team gets pitted against an organized team... it'll end up with both sides not having a lot of fun... losing badly ends up with team members sitting on the sidelines doing nothing... which means winning side will get bored...

But if you stick with it... you will get fun games...
      YouTube channel Rohaus Lives!
      Daggerfall Covenant
      VR16 DragonKnight
    4. paulsimonps
      paulsimonps
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      SPE825 wrote: »

premades/stacked teams are already a problem on the PTS but its not getting major visibility because people essentially think its the sample size.

the problem is: that "sample size" are the most enthusiastic BGers in the game. sure some like myself will make it regular when the update goes live but right now, those enthusiastic premades are going to be the foundation and backbone that keeps BGs going.

meaning: premades stomping pugs all day. and can you believe people in this thread like @paulsimonps said the queue system was going to filter for that? as if he ignored the dungeon finder track record ZOS already has. . .lol

Yes cause we have SOOOoo many people on the PTS for the system to work with.... I would go into more but the QQ in this thread is on a level on its own, and its under NDA.
    5. Rickter
      Rickter
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes cause we have SOOOoo many people on the PTS for the system to work with.... I would go into more but the QQ in this thread is on a level on its own, and its under NDA.

you can turn a blind eye all you want. but you know practically everything i listed in my OP is true.

youre going to run into super tanky cc tank/healer combos forcing a stale meta
      youre going to run into insta cheese/kill proc sets that are more powerful in noCP BGs, lets throw poisons here too
      youre going to run into premades dominating pugs and the more that happens the less pugs there will be

this isnt breaking the NDA - this is obvious foresight that people like you continue to supress so that BGs launches dead on arrival.

These are problems that already exist today which will only be magnified in a smaller setting. this is a controlled compact environment where cheese/meta enforcement like the above mentioned is going to make it very unenjoyable for most people.
      RickterESO
      PC | NA | DC
      YouTube
      PvE:

6. Rickter
      Rickter
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Im reviving this thread now that BGs have officially launched and there is no NDA

were BGs DOA? do you think the current iteration is "fun"? "fulfilling"? Is it what you hoped BGs would be?

RickterESO
      PC | NA | DC
      YouTube
      PvE:

7. Dracindo
      Dracindo
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No - BGs are DOA
      Personally, I would've created another thread, with a new poll, and link to this thread, to get a better view of how many people changed their opinion.
    8. Rickter
      Rickter
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Dracindo wrote: »
      Personally, I would've created another thread, with a new poll, and link to this thread, to get a better view of how many people changed their opinion.

You're probably right but honestly, I think there is valuable discussion that I want continued rather than referenced.

RickterESO
      PC | NA | DC
      YouTube
      PvE:

9. CyrusArya
      CyrusArya
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Im reviving this thread now that BGs have officially launched and there is no NDA

were BGs DOA? do you think the current iteration is "fun"? "fulfilling"? Is it what you hoped BGs would be?

They are extremely fun when the sides are somewhat evenly matched. 4v4v4 with pre mades is some of the most fun this game has to offer. If they allowed us to make our own 12 person matches with pre selected teams instead of random queing, BGs would be even better. Hopefully thats something they implement one day. The issues with lop sided team formations is a failure of the system and execution of BGs, not the design.

The only problems I see with the battlegrounds is how strong stacking proc sets are and how scoring is rewarded on kills. Should be based on damage done and not killing blows. But these issues are not nearly a big enough deal for them to be 'dead on arrival' or any other hyperbolic drivel like that.
      A R Y A
      -Atmosphere
      -Ary'a
      Czarya
      The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
      My PvP Videos
    10. timidobserver
      timidobserver
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭

I like battlegrounds. They have 2 major issues.

1. Match making is broken. They should have built a separate match maker for battlegrounds. The dungeon finder hasn't worked right since it was introduced, so using that for battlegrounds was a bad idea.

2. Proc builds are a bit too strong.
      V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
      V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
      V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
      V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
      V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

11. Rickter
      Rickter
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      CyrusArya wrote: »
      They are extremely fun when the sides are somewhat evenly matched. 4v4v4 with pre mades is some of the most fun this game has to offer.

Let's be real honest here - how often does this actually happen? I BG'd for 4 hours straight yesterday evening and not once was I in the desirable conditions you just stated.

It's few and far between, just like overworld cyrodiil tbh. Youre living and queuing for that one mythical moment of the day. if youre lucky youll get three.

and its because of the things i stated in this thread over and over as to why the experience is so intangible. thats all i was saying. I think BGs are a great idea. and I think they can be fun. Im not a zergling as you thnk, I solo BG or 3 man BG all day everyday. prior to that i was running 4-8 man sized groups. I know small scale and self sustain and balancing dmg and the fundamentals of core pvp. and BGs just arent fun. there are highlights, there are good matches, but the frequency is much too low to consider the overall experience enjoyable.

in its current state. and had more attention been brought to this instead of the rampant rejection of my opinion in this thread, we may have had a chance.
      RickterESO
      PC | NA | DC
      YouTube
      PvE:

12. Joy_Division
      Joy_Division
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I don't think Battlegrounds are nearly as dead as you make them out to be.

The biggest issues I have with them are bugs and Zenmiax's paradoxical stance of having CP be an integral part of characterize development, yet removing them for PvP. This leads to problematic balance concerns for all PvP on all platforms, something not just specific to Battlegrounds.

I do think it would be helpful for ZoS to add some sort of rating system because the most discouraging thing about BGs is when I que solo and wind up on a team of randoms against another team that has every member an AvA rank of 40+. I don't play other MMOs or online games that have a BG sort of system, but I think any game is a lot more fun for everyone involved when players of similar skill are matched up against each other.

Edit: Sick and Tired of the 2v2v4 crap.
      Edited by Joy_Division on June 13, 2017 8:09PM
    13. Rickter
      Rickter
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I don't think Battlegrounds are nearly as dead as you make them out to be.

The biggest issues I have with them are bugs and Zenmiax's paradoxical stance of having CP be an integral part of characterize development, yet removing them for PvP. This leads to problematic balance concerns for all PvP on all platforms, something not just specific to Battlegrounds.

I do think it would be helpful for ZoS to add some sort of rating system because the most discouraging thing about BGs is when I que solo and wind up on a team of randoms against another team that has every member an AvA rank of 40+. I don't play other MMOs or online games that have a BG sort of system, but I think any game is a lot more fun for everyone involved when players of similar skill are matched up against each other.

This was an original intent. ZOS mentioned having separate ranking s in BGs. but somewhere that went out the window. And no, BGs are not dead right this instant. but how long will it survive the longer zos takes to address these concerns? right now, everyone that buys Morrowind wants to try it out. new players will run into this CHEESE and they will say "eff this, im going back to overworld cyro." when that kind of bleeding happens, there will be no one left to BG with.

THAT is my fear. THAT is why i am being so vocal. Im already hearing that EXACT QUOTE. ALREADY HEARING IT.

This is real.
      RickterESO
      PC | NA | DC
      YouTube
      PvE:

14. Feanor
      Feanor
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I don't say the BGs are dead. But I'm quite sure time is slowly running out for ZOS to fix at least the most blatant bugs, aka queuing and grouping. It's certainly not a stellar effort if you try to fix something for 3 weeks and always end up short. My take on BGs at the moment: Like so many things ZOS did, it's well meant, but not well done.
      Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
      Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
      All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
    15. Etaniel
      Etaniel
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Am I the only one super annoyed by people who leave and cause the bg to end, without any reward whatsoever? I mean who thought of that system at ZOS?
      Noricum | Kitesquad

Youtube

AR 41 DC DK

16. timidobserver
      timidobserver
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      Etaniel wrote: »
      Am I the only one super annoyed by people who leave and cause the bg to end, without any reward whatsoever? I mean who thought of that system at ZOS?

I usually don't because of the 20 minute timer, but I can understand someone leaving a 4 v 2 v 2.

17. Feanor
      Feanor
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

It's even better to land in a 2v2v1 and get booted out of the game after 30 seconds because it brightened on the engine that team sizes are not sufficient ...
      Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
      Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
      All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
    18. Etaniel
      Etaniel
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭

I usually don't because of the 20 minute timer, but I can understand someone leaving a 4 v 2 v 2.

I don't personnaly. The two 2 man teams can team up vs the 4 man.
      I've won a 2v3v3 before because my team mate was competent, and the opponents weren't. By leaving a game, you waste everyone's time.
      Noricum | Kitesquad

Youtube

AR 41 DC DK

19. timidobserver
      timidobserver
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭

I don't personnaly. The two 2 man teams can team up vs the 4 man.
      I've won a 2v3v3 before because my team mate was competent, and the opponents weren't. By leaving a game, you waste everyone's time.

2v3v3 is fine. Anybody can win that. 2v4v4 is not fine. The 2 team has very little chance of winning. Particularly if the 4 person teams are premades. I once got grouped with a level 39 vs two full premades of people who were all over Alliance Rank 40 and all in the top 20 of at least one leaderboard. There was no winning that. I personally don't usually leave any match because you save time be just taking it, but I do understand leaving a matchup like that.

Also, it's not a complete waste. It convinces you to leave negative feedback which may encourage zos to fix the issue.~~~~>https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/4233259#Comment_4233259
      Edited by timidobserver on June 14, 2017 3:13PM

20. DemonDruaga
      DemonDruaga
      ✭✭✭✭
      No - BGs are DOA
      Not able to play BG's with my friends was/ is the reason I think BG's will be a wasteland after the hype is gone, like IC was.
      When their products finally are finished and working, many people already lost interest because of the frustration they expirienced.
      Edited by DemonDruaga on June 15, 2017 5:36AM
      Ardor // Dunkelsicht // Pakt
    21. Iyas
      Iyas
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No - BGs are DOA
      Not able to play BG's with my friends was/ is the reason I think BG's will be a wasteland after the hype is gone, like IC was.
      When their products finally are finished and working, many people already lost interest because of the frustration they expirienced.

exactly
      Noricum/ Kitesquad/ PC/EU

Kitesquad Vol. 1

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6tGxK9KRrEI
    22. Dr.NRG
      Dr.NRG
      ✭✭✭✭
      No - BGs are DOA
      Not dead yet but already proc mania wonderland and infinity que. Soon to be dead, close enough saying dead on arival.