The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Please disable dueling in cities and around wayshrines

• dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes I get a bit annoyed when someone asks me to duel inside the bank... like... can't they see I am already duelling here!!@ Take a ticket & get in line buddy!
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And other busy areas. The lag on consoles at peak times is getting out of hand.

PC master race 60-80 FPS in main cities so I dont mind dueling anywhere. And If youre disturbed by loud noices and flashy things... Go play chess not a video game? ;) /D-bag off

But to be constructive. Lets add dueling finder, something like dungeon finder. People that want to duel wont be forced to run arround main cities to find someone to fight them. Let us choose do we want to fight with someone using CPs or without CPs, maybe class filter to. Let people to watch duels like spectators on arena. This would be fun and could rly help both sides.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hugely annoying and I'm with you Op. I agree guards should attack the winning dualist after the kill. Or just block it entirely in towns.

Places like Craglorm during this event are lagging anyways with everyone doing Writs and suddenly people are dualing there too.

Nice one guys. Nice one. Walk like 200 metres and it wouldn't be so bad..
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
  • Cdub2382
    Cdub2382
    ✭✭✭
    Not really, Undaunted is all about dungeons as the highest challenge.

Once again, alot of dueling goes on infront of the enclaves because alot of people need to go there regularly, which just contributes to the lag issues and the main reason why dueling needs to be disable in cities, around wayshrines and other busy areas(Undaunted Enclaves are a perfect example).

I will guaranteed get dashboarded in Elden Root if I go to the Undaunted Enclave at peak NA times. Mornings it's not so bad.
  • Shadow_Viper_vX
    Shadow_Viper_vX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aye, perfect example of why dueling needs to be disabled near busy areas like the Undaunted Enclaves
  • Quigster
    Quigster
    ✭✭✭
    The world we live in. "I don't like it so no one should have the freedom to do it!"

The world we live in. "I'll do whatever I want and I don't care if it disturbs others. Because I can. My freedom".

Agreed. Somewhere along the way freedom became twisted into entitlement.
    (50) Quigster Bosmer Stamplar
    (50) Lorithar Lightcrest Altmer Mag Sorc
    (50) Tanius Magnitus Argonian Magplar
    (50) Kalethar Redguard Stamplar
    (50) Ra'Jo Darkstrike Khajiit Stamblade
    (50) Gen Maximus Imperial Stam DK
    (50) Jakon Fenrif Redguar Stam Sorc
    (50) Revus Meredor Dunmer Mag DK
    (50) Gorath the Silent Orc Stamblade
    (31) Bjorn Ironhand Nord Stamplar
    (28) Lord Devin Woodhearth Breton Magblade
    Altaholic, CP 600+
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quigster wrote: »

It is a fine line.

People should feel and be absolutely free to do whatever they want so long as it doesn't harm others.

Ideally people should also avoid disrupting (rather than disturbing) others (without good cause, eg. protest) especially if the thing they want to do can be done somewhere where it won't.

I say disrupt rather than disturb because disturbance is more subjective and even today many would find eg. two guys kissing in public disturbing, but not actually disruptive.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerouyn wrote: »

It is a fine line.

People should feel and be absolutely free to do whatever they want so long as it doesn't harm others.

Ideally people should also avoid disrupting (rather than disturbing) others (without good cause, eg. protest) especially if the thing they want to do can be done somewhere where it won't.

I say disrupt rather than disturb because disturbance is more subjective and even today many would find eg. two guys kissing in public disturbing, but not actually disruptive.

English is not my native language, sorry for using "disturbing", "disrupting" is more adequate, I agree.

And yes it is a fine line.
    For instance : the Elden Root Bank is my "home" in ESO, always has been. Just love that place - and everything is there : banks, merchants, crafting stations. And since I'm DC, and it's an AD capital, prior to One Tamriel, it was mostly empty most of the time.
    Since One Tamriel, it's packed with players, and worse than that, it's a very popular duelling place. It's so damn disrupting ! It's so hard to concentrate on inventory management and trading and crafting with all the light effects in the background and duellers running all over the place !

I tried to talk to the duellers. But it's like...
    - Hey guys, could you please duel somewhere else ?
    - But it has such a nice atmosphere !
    - I agree ! That's why you shouldn't ruin it with your duels...
    - But we like to duel here because of the atmosphere !
    - But you're ruining my nice atmosphere...

It's hard to tell who has to back out, isn't it ? I can argue that they could duel somewhere else, they'll argue that I can craft & trade somewhere else too...

Well obviously in this case the duellers "win", because they can... I wish they couldn't, though...

ZOS should give us proper, full featured bankers and merchants for our homes. Then I could do all my stuff in my quiet home sweet home. Without damm duellers...

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on April 7, 2017 10:11PM
  • Quigster
    Quigster
    ✭✭✭

It is a fine line.

I agree, it is a fine line. I don't mean to derail the OP's thread, but somewhere along the way certain people feel they are "allowed", "entitled" or otherwise permitted to do whatever they want even if it impacts others. They gray area has been how much impact is allowable. Our local PD recently starting citing people who drive with their windows down and music playing so loud you can hear it from a block away. I talked to one officer after he wrote the ticket. The driver of the vehicle felt it was his right to listen to his music however loud he wanted. The cop's reply was pretty simple: you can listen to your music, you are not allowed to make other people listen to it. If you feel you should be allowed to make others listen to it, show up in court and tell the judge that. The real breakdown in the system is where the guy got the idea in the first place that he can make others listen to his music. Too bad it has come to the point that cops have to teach people what their parents should have taught them. All right, I am done...

Tangent finished, derail over, back to topic. Move dueling to outside the cities, like WoW did. Or perhaps confine it to the arena. If it is confined to the arena, I think people who want to duel will start gathering there, and therefore find others with a similar mindset.
    Altaholic, CP 600+
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS should give us proper, full featured bankers and merchants for our homes. Then I could do all my stuff in my quiet home sweet home. Without damm duellers...

That's also my plan. Next crown store sale I will grab the banker and then avoid towns except for quest pick ups and drop offs.

And this is something ZO are probably worried about. Ghost towns give the impression of a game being deserted and unpopular.
  • AinGeal
    AinGeal
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever happened to the mega server "watching" how you play and ensuring that those similar to you are the ones "seen"? If you never duel, shouldn't you not even see those that frequently duel?
  • LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean sure as long as it's only on consoles and not pc. Don't take something away from us b/c their machines can't handle it.
    Edited by LadyLavina on April 7, 2017 10:27PM
    PC - NA @LadyLavina 1800+ CP PvP Tank and PvP Healer
  • Quigster
    Quigster
    ✭✭✭
    AinGeal wrote: »
    Whatever happened to the mega server "watching" how you play and ensuring that those similar to you are the ones "seen"? If you never duel, shouldn't you not even see those that frequently duel?

I know I haven't been playing that long, just over a couple years, but was this every really a "thing"? Watching play style and matching the environment? Was not aware of that.
    Altaholic, CP 600+
  • Shadow_Viper_vX
    Shadow_Viper_vX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The world we live in. "I don't like it so no one should have the freedom to do it!"

The world we live in. "I'll do whatever I want and I don't care if it disturbs others. Because I can. My freedom".

Sadly, this would be a non-issue if people would just use some common sense and be more considerate of others
    Edited by Shadow_Viper_vX on April 9, 2017 10:54PM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's also my plan. Next crown store sale I will grab the banker and then avoid towns except for quest pick ups and drop offs.

What are you going to do with a merchant that doesn't repair and a banker that doesn't let you access your guild bank and guild store ?

• LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really wish they would prohibit at the city wayshrines, undaunted enclave, inside buildings and at guild traders. Anywhere else I don't care. Seems the immature can't control themselves and take joy in making others lag and crash. Nothing but spamming abilities on top of everything thinking it's cute. If you only realized what an idiot you actually looked like with no repect. Things like this make me despise the human race....lol
  • MacCait
    MacCait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Perhaps a new LAW should be passed within the walls of cities. Dueling is restricted to the wilds of the country, banned from busy cities and wayshrines. I personally much prefer dueslling out in the country, picking beauty spots just as the Samurai of old ;)
  • Runschei
    Runschei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't really bother me at all as I rarely see more than 2-3 duels going on around the typical crowded shrines I tend to visit.
  • Floki_Vilgerdarson
    Floki_Vilgerdarson
    ✭✭✭✭

Your individual freedoms are regulated by law and/or code of conduct in a game or in life. Once you start "knowingly" and "intentionally" disturbing other people, your individual freedom goes out the door and you are charged with a crime or violation depending on many factors.

Free legal advice from Floki.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your individual freedoms are regulated by law and/or code of conduct in a game or in life. Once you start "knowingly" and "intentionally" disturbing other people, your individual freedom goes out the door and you are charged with a crime or violation depending on many factors.

Thank you.
    Wanna make a "law" and take someone to court for a behaviour in a video game ?
    We're talking respect and manners here. Law is a totally different frame, not applicable here. I particularly like the "intentionally" and "knowingly" part of the statement. How do you prove that ? Can you read other people's minds ? Doesn't work here (and doesn't work in life either, most times).

• Floki_Vilgerdarson
    Floki_Vilgerdarson
    ✭✭✭✭

Thank you.
    Wanna make a "law" and take someone to court for a behaviour in a video game ?
    We're talking respect and manners here. Law is a totally different frame, not applicable here. I particularly like the "intentionally" and "knowingly" part of the statement. How do you prove that ? Can you read other people's minds ? Doesn't work here (and doesn't work in life either, most times).

I am sorry life has been hard on you as you stated above. I was making an "analogy" to real life hoping people would understand the concept is the same.

Floki
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Artemiisia wrote: »
    I dont duel, but I actually love that people do it close to the public from a roleplaying side of it, in real life people get into bar fights, fights over women/men, fights over who has the biggest car (mount) and so on

And it doesn't break your immersion that people can duel right infront of a City Guard without the guard breaking up the brawl in the streets?

I don't care for dueling, but it has no impact on my immersion. Why shouldn't differences be resolved with duels?
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah, lag near undaunted is unreal.
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Sadly, this would be a non-issue if people would just use some common sense and be more considerate of others

I don't think it is "common sense." It is an empathy deficit. It isn't your common sense that tells you not do do that. It is empathy with those who could be negatively impacted.
  • Kay1
    Kay1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And this is something ZO are probably worried about. Ghost towns give the impression of a game being deserted and unpopular.

Yeah because the 3-4 guys like you that are annoyed of people killing each other for fun in a video game that is intended to have fun is going to have ZOS worried, yeah they are currently all talking in their big private room and debating about how duelists are making people quit the game.
    K1 The Big Monkey
  • Shadow_Viper_vX
    Shadow_Viper_vX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    Artemiisia wrote: »
    I dont duel, but I actually love that people do it close to the public from a roleplaying side of it, in real life people get into bar fights, fights over women/men, fights over who has the biggest car (mount) and so on

And it doesn't break your immersion that people can duel right infront of a City Guard without the guard breaking up the brawl in the streets?

I don't care for dueling, but it has no impact on my immersion. Why shouldn't differences be resolved with duels?

Guards...
  • Shadow_Viper_vX
    Shadow_Viper_vX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This only further compounds the performance/lag issue that has already been affecting the game from long long ago with the anti-bot measures patch.

https://youtu.be/IzFS4RKA5uc?t=663

Explained in the video alot better than I can/could, important bit starts around 12 minutes.

Need to keep spreading the word on this, work together to keep a light shined on the lag/performance issues and get them addressed/fixed once and for all.

And what's explained in the video doesn't just affect Cyrodil(PVP), but the entire game as a whole.
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just make dueling/fighting an offense if spotted, you know; how it logically is in any civilised society over the last 3000+ years. I.e. so if a guard sees you they will get involved. That will solve a lot of problems.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • zuto40
    zuto40
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rev Rielle wrote: »
    Just make dueling/fighting an offense if spotted, you know; how it logically is in any civilised society over the last 3000+ years. I.e. so if a guard sees you they will get involved. That will solve a lot of problems.

so youre telling me when i summon a greater storm atronach a guard is gonna walk up to me and say, "hey uh you cant summon demons here"? nah sorry they arent gonna do that lol
    Stamblade- Legate
    Tank/Heals Templar- Sergeant
    Magic DK- Corporal
    Stam DK- Sergeant
    Stamplar- Corporal

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy8uqORxhlrMh8oz2230s9g