The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Please disable dueling in cities and around wayshrines

• Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dpencil wrote: »
    ZOS needs to do something to actually incentivizes people dueling in other locations like Hammerdeath Arena. Until there's a way for duelers to find sparring partners without needing to go to cities, it's not really fair to force them out of the only places they can find people.

If dueling could only take place in certain locations such as arenas, then that is where those who want to duel would go.

I agree with the OP that dueling is a problem in cities and around wayshrines, as was always going to be the case. Those who duel with friends and guildmates generally have no problem finding quiet places for it, it's mainly those who want to pester every passing stranger and show off in front of an audience that insist on dueling in the most popular locations.
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally don't duel, but the people who do should be able to do so anywhere imo. Though their dueling, and the system load it generates, should not ruin anyone else's game. Not blaming the dueling players, but I've had massive frame-drops and freeze-ups at times on PC even though my build should be able to handle ESO on max. settings and then some. And this really only happens in busy zones with lots of people running around, trying to off each-other.

With the flood of new users (and mechanics?) that will reach us in June, I hope ZoS is doing something to spread the sever load. Or w/e else is needed to up the performance. :)
    Edited by Saturnana on March 26, 2017 10:54AM
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If somebody duels in a place where they shouldn't -- because it's otherwise too busy -- I often stand in the dueling circle, on horseback, or otherwise mildly grief them.

I hope you are aware of the fact that such offences are reportable, and eventually will lead to a temporarely ban. This is the same griefing people had, when players threw mud-balls on people that was dyeing their gear/costumes. People got punished for that & people will get punished for griefing duels, too.

I've never heard of anyone being banned for mounting up inside a dueling circle. How would you be able to tell the mounted player was griefing the duelists? Mounting is a function that can be done almost anywhere. It's not the same as throwing mud-balls at someone using a dye station--that is obvious griefing.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Khajiit she says "nope" :smiley:
    DKUR9Tk.png

Edited by altemriel on March 26, 2017 11:06AM
  • Shad0wfire99
    Shad0wfire99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since about 90% of the duels I decline (auto-decline ftw) are followed by whispers calling me a "coward" or something along those lines, yeah, I'd love for dueling to be restricted to the middle of nowhere. Mars, maybe.
    Edited by Shad0wfire99 on March 26, 2017 11:12AM

XBox NA
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Eh, the only thing I think is that people shouldn't be able to duel inside of small enclosed places, such as a bank. At that point they are just trying to grief others.
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • FleetwoodSmack
    FleetwoodSmack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love threads like these... Look. I run on a potato. I don't lag near wayshrines (Rawl'kha or otherwise).
    Tabbycat wrote: »
    Eh, the only thing I think is that people shouldn't be able to duel inside of small enclosed places, such as a bank. At that point they are just trying to grief others.

Leave the bar fights alone. :expressionless:
    Edited by FleetwoodSmack on March 27, 2017 6:42AM
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies!
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS should have kept this silly activity in the PVP areas where it belongs.
  • Amadis001
    Amadis001
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like all the color and noise of dueling in and around the Undaunted enclaves and major crafting centers. It's fun to get back to town with a full inventory after a couple of hours of questing and find all the hustle and bustle. Yes, it's laggy. I llive with it.
    // Amadis of Gaul -- DK Nord (Lvl 50 CP 1000)
  • Floki_Vilgerdarson
    Floki_Vilgerdarson
    ✭✭✭✭
    The duel kids just want an audience, pretty sad. They love to set up in the most laggy areas and spaz out.

I say let the mudballs fly and give them the attention they want so badly. "Look at me Mom".

If mudballs fail then just ride your mount around on top of them for the entire duel. You can completely hide their body in my Guar.

If you block a public road or block a premise open to the public with your garbage duels I will run you over!

Floki the Freight train
  • Indigochild3rdi
    Indigochild3rdi
    ✭✭✭
    Tholian1 wrote: »
    alexkdd99 wrote: »
    ZOS

I don't understand why the guards don't get involved and attack the duelers for disturbing the peace. That would certainly discourage it from happening on top of wayshrines in the cities.

I like to think of it like the Wild West. Back then you could blow someone away whenever you wanted in the middle of town as long as it was an agreed duel. A test of honor. Police didn't get involved because it was common to handle your problems with death. Same as these times I suppose. If two people want to duke it out to the drag who are the guards to get involved.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if a radius around high traffic spots like shrines, guild traders, banks, undaunted enclaves and such that prevented duel invites within the radius could help reduce interference for both agendas here.

Same familiar spots, just moved over "there" a little. The issue seems to be duels happening on top of more duels, on top of economy transactions and character load ins, all in the same spot. I don't think dueling needs a city-wide ban; you see the more sensible duelers fight in spots that will have less outside interference anyway.

I wish the arena had rewards of some kind for fighting there, but that's going to get covered in battlegrounds I guess.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS needs to do something to actually incentivizes people dueling in other locations like Hammerdeath Arena. Until there's a way for duelers to find sparring partners without needing to go to cities, it's not really fair to force them out of the only places they can find people.

They could send them to their own instance for the duel...

or me.

Just wait for battlegrounds in Morrowind. That's supposed to get that urge fixed for people.

But, you will still always have those too lazy and who just want to own noobs who accidentally agree to a duel, not to mention those weird crazies that just duel everyone and don't care if they get owned.

FYI, they duel around the wayshrines because they can resurrect for free there, no soul gem usage or waste of the soul skill.
    This part seems like a major oversight. Other games have pvp not cause item durability damage and not cost anything to resurrect. I bet they could do that here if they actually tried. That would get people to move away from wayshrines a bit if they actually pay attention to those mechanics, but could be too little too late or too different from normal pve.

I really hate item durability losses and resurrect taxing anyway. We don't need those things since whatever killed us likely can kill us again just as easily, or we should be able to reposition for better tactics, and all it does is add a lot of annoying time to running back to where you were from the wayshrine.
    I'm surprised they don't have us respawn from a pond in coldharbour back in the tutorial every time as the lore says we should, or form a puddle of goo where we die and force us to respawn on that spot only or back in coldharbour. That would make sense.
    Edited by Mystrius_Archaion on March 27, 2017 8:59PM
  • Shadow_Viper_vX
    Shadow_Viper_vX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If somebody duels in a place where they shouldn't -- because it's otherwise too busy -- I often stand in the dueling circle, on horseback, or otherwise mildly grief them.

I hope you are aware of the fact that such offences are reportable, and eventually will lead to a temporarely ban. This is the same griefing people had, when players threw mud-balls on people that was dyeing their gear/costumes. People got punished for that & people will get punished for griefing duels, too.

Purposely dueling in cities and around busy areas in an attempt to cause lag is an even worse form of griefing/trolling.
  • Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think people should be able to duel where ever they want. and as far as performance. . . i mean, that was there before dueling. Like, why is Maw of Lorkhaj sooooo laggy? theres no dueling in there.

If it breaks immersion, just pretend its a bar fight. . . or that a fight broke out to defend a Lady's honor!
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMA | vDSA | vMoL | ALL Vet 4 Man Dungeons

• Shadow_Viper_vX
    Shadow_Viper_vX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rickter wrote: »
    I think people should be able to duel where ever they want. and as far as performance. . . i mean, that was there before dueling. Like, why is Maw of Lorkhaj sooooo laggy? theres no dueling in there.

If it breaks immersion, just pretend its a bar fight. . . or that a fight broke out to defend a Lady's honor!

But a guard should still break up such a fight, as far as immersion goes.

Performance is the main reason not to allow dueling in cities and around wayshrines/other busy areas, which I agree as a whole performance needs to be fixed. Seems the anti-bot fix way back in the day may have really screwed up performance. Feng Rush actually explains it extremely well in one of his videos.
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

They could send them to their own instance for the duel...

or me.

Just wait for battlegrounds in Morrowind. That's supposed to get that urge fixed for people.

But, you will still always have those too lazy and who just want to own noobs who accidentally agree to a duel, not to mention those weird crazies that just duel everyone and don't care if they get owned.

FYI, they duel around the wayshrines because they can resurrect for free there, no soul gem usage or waste of the soul skill.
    This part seems like a major oversight. Other games have pvp not cause item durability damage and not cost anything to resurrect. I bet they could do that here if they actually tried. That would get people to move away from wayshrines a bit if they actually pay attention to those mechanics, but could be too little too late or too different from normal pve.

I really hate item durability losses and resurrect taxing anyway. We don't need those things since whatever killed us likely can kill us again just as easily, or we should be able to reposition for better tactics, and all it does is add a lot of annoying time to running back to where you were from the wayshrine.
    I'm surprised they don't have us respawn from a pond in coldharbour back in the tutorial every time as the lore says we should, or form a puddle of goo where we die and force us to respawn on that spot only or back in coldharbour. That would make sense.

They duel around wayshrines because that is where it is easiest to find people to fight. You get a free rez when you die in a duel, and your armor isn't damaged in PvP.
    PC/EU DC
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Although I don't really care whether or not they ban duelling in certain areas (it never really bothered me). I was just thinking how cool it would be if they added big gladiator arenas in the major cities for duelling, hell you can even go into the grandstand and watch if you like.
  • Shadow_Viper_vX
    Shadow_Viper_vX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MattT1988 wrote: »
    Although I don't really care whether or not they ban duelling in certain areas (it never really bothered me). I was just thinking how cool it would be if they added big gladiator arenas in the major cities for duelling, hell you can even go into the grandstand and watch if you like.

I believe one already exists in Wrothgar
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dueling should've never be added in this free for all presentation.

There has to either be designated areas or phase ppl out while they duel
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • KingJ
    KingJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No keep dueling in towns just fix the game. Also we have to many people in cities as is now even without dueling having to many people in one area adds crazy lag.
  • butternutbutt
    butternutbutt
    ✭✭
    Isn't this what Battlegrounds will be for?
  • Eshelmen
    Eshelmen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most towns already have predetermined(by the players of course) duel locations.

I can understand the lag here and there but being on console as well, it's not nearly as bad as a year ago, before dueling was even a thing.

Don't like duels? Cool, just turn off invites. But relocating us when most of us are clearly out of the way, is a little extreme.

Edited by Eshelmen on March 30, 2017 4:25PM
    PC and PS4 EP only player
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    ✭✭✭
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If duelling outside designated duelling areas the duellants will be transported into a ransom pocket dimension where no one can interfere. No accidental healing, no bumbing into neutral NPC's and players, no creating lag and or light and sound pollution.

If however you are interested in an audience there are arena's you can go to and fight for glory and exposure there.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Alpheu5
    Alpheu5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Or troll by healing them?

If you are, in fact, being serious, I have some bad news...
    Dalek-Rok - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Shād - Argonian Nightblade || Dalek-Shul - Argonian Templar || Dalek-Xal - Argonian Dragonknight || Mounts-the-Snout - Argonian Warden || Dalek-Xul - Argonian Necromancer || Two-Spires - Argonian Arcanist || Dalek-Nesh - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Kör - Argonian Dragonknight
    Don't incorporate bugs into your builds, and you won't have [an] issue.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    ✭✭✭
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eshelmen wrote: »
    Most towns already have predetermined(by the players of course) duel locations.

I can understand the lag here and there but being on console as well, it's not nearly as bad as a year ago, before dueling was even a thing.

Don't like duels? Cool, just turn off invites. But relocating us when most of us are clearly out of the way, is a little extreme.

Nobody is suggesting relocating people who are out of the way. But in cities and around wayshrines people are typically not out of the way. The wayshrine in Vulkhel's Guard is a typical favourite for dueling and it's a dratted nuisance there. People also choose to duel in Belkarth in Craglorn which is a performance nightmare for many players anyway.
  • Annalyse
    Annalyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the time it doesn't bother me too much, but I really dislike it in Rawl'kha because the area by the wayshrine is a bit of a cramped space with the guild traders forming a barrier, and it makes things really chaotic. It also seems to cause the trader NPCs to take longer to load for me. On days when I happen to arrive with no duels everything looks great, but on days with multiple duels I'll be standing by the guild trader for awhile before the NPC finally appears.

That said, it doesn't really seem to lag me much so it's more of a mild annoyance. Would be nice if there was some sort of duel-free zone around wayshrines though.
    Edited by Annalyse on March 30, 2017 5:31PM
  • Dark_Aether
    Dark_Aether
    ✭✭✭✭
    The world we live in. "I don't like it so no one should have the freedom to do it!"

Dueling is not the problem, the game's performance is. ZOS needs go to optimize their game, not take away player's freedom. And if your system cannot go above 40 fps while you're out in the wilderness, you should think about lowering your settings, duels are not the problem.