The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Stop saying necro-potence

• Arthg
    Arthg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rouven wrote: »
    Get ready for this.

Necropolice!

Made that up all by myself. Cause this whole necrosurrecting business is illegal in some parts of the country. You can work yourself up to Necrofficer with your own squad.

Ahaha, well found!

I for one plead guilty of not checking the thread's date - loved thinking bout this "issue", though :)
    PC/EU. NoCP PvP. sDK Orc IRL. Flawless tamperor. Pro scrub.
  • RavenRoxie
    RavenRoxie
    ✭✭✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »
    Its pronounced as like incompetence

Say it with me please...

Neh-craw-poe-tense.

Seriously you people are driving me nutz. You know who you are.

There is no voice in game....

So, I am forced to believe that this post is directed to the voices inside your head....

And the voices inside your head, seem to say NECRO-POTENCE, exactly the same as I do. :)

giphy.gif
    Phantogram DC | Wood Elf | Magicka Nightblade/ | DPS | 856cp
    False Paradox | AD | Wood Elf | Non Combative Nightblade | Crafter | 856cp
    @RoxieParadoxx | Twitch | Twitter
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Arthg wrote: »
    The issue lies with whether suffixes are stress-imposing or not.

"Polis" (from the Greek work meaning city) is a stress-imposing suffix: it requires the previous syllable to be stressed.
    All English words ending with "-polis" feature a stressed syllable before it.

As a prefix, "necro" will therefore adapt its pronunciation on whether the suffix is stress-imposing: it'll be pronounced "neck-roe" in "necromancer", "***", etc. but "ne crop" in "necropolis".

So now the question boils down to figuring out whether "potence" is a stress-imposing suffix or not.

In English, "potence" is not a stand-alone word, because of "potency", so arguing it should be pronounced " poe t@nse" ("@ being a schwa, i.e. the sound in the second syllable of, say, mountain") is going to be difficult.

We do have two words with "-potence" as a suffix, though: "omnipotence" and "impotence".
    These two words help us solve the issue, because they don't have the same number of syllables - yet in both instances, the preceding syllable is stressed ("omNIp@t@nce", "IMp@t@nce").
    The odds are therefore that "-potence" is a stress-imposing suffix.

Ergo: the OP's right: ne-crop-@t@ns, as in "incompetence".

You could also say that potence is a possessive form of potent when combined with a prefix.

"He is omnipotent" describes "him".

"His omnipotence" belongs to "him".

"He is necropotent" may sound nonsensical, but it works in the context of this fake word.

"His Necropotence", again nonsensical outside of fictional situations, but still suggests "he" possesses it.

In that situation, I wouldn't emphasize the "crop" part of the word. It's still two words being jammed together.

And, pronouncing "tence" like "tains" just sounds extra weird. I don't think that's going to catch on.
  • mesmerizedish
    mesmerizedish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    srfrogg23 wrote: »
    Necropolis is a root word combined with a suffix word. "Necro" and "Opolis" (pronounced "ah-Po-Liss"). When you combine the root word with its suffix, the O drops off of "Necro" and is replaced by the Op of "Opolis" to get that "Ne-Crop-olis" sound (also the same for "Meh-Trop-olis").

How is polis not a root word?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polis

Polis is one of the roots. Necropolis is not, as the person you're quoting suggests, an English word formed from cobbling together two Greek roots. It's a descendant of the original Greek νεκρόπολις, which you can see stresses the first omicron (words in Ancient Greek were stressed on the syllable that carries the written accent).

"Necropotence" is a made-up word and can be pronounced however you will. But many in this thread are trying to justify one pronunciation or the other based on ideas that are actually 100% false, and I'd take anything said with a grain of salt.
    Faulgor wrote: »
    Necropolis is a root word combined with a suffix word. "Necro" and "Opolis" (pronounced "ah-Po-Liss"). When you combine the root word with its suffix, the O drops off of "Necro" and is replaced by the Op of "Opolis" to get that "Ne-Crop-olis" sound (also the same for "Meh-Trop-olis").

How is polis not a root word?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polis

Polis is one of the roots. Necropolis is not, as the person you're quoting suggests, an English word formed from cobbling together two Greek roots. It's a descendant of the original Greek νεκρόπολις, which you can see stresses the first omicron (words in Ancient Greek were stressed on the syllable that carries the written accent).

"Necropotence" is a made-up word and can be pronounced however you will. But many in this thread are trying to justify one pronunciation or the other based on ideas that are actually 100% false, and I'd take anything said with a grain of salt.

Languages such as English and ancient Greek have well-documented stress-assigning rules.

Take "νεκρόπολις", for instance. It's easy to see it is a compound word, formed of the adjective "νεκρός", meaning "dead", and the noun "πόλις", meaning "city". Why did the accent of "πόλις" drop? Because in ancient Greek, there can only be one, and because the stress goes as far to the left as it can, within the limits of proparoxytones (stress on the third last syllable) - only the last three syllables of a word can be accented. I'll spare you the details of why we know it comes from the adjective "νεκρός", and not the noun "νεκρός" ("corpse") - it might be boring, but therein lies the reason why the word is not stressed "νεκροπόλις" ;)

In English, a suffix like "-tion" for instance impose paroxytonic patterns (stress on the last but one syllable).

Of course, one can pronounce "necropotence" however one wants - it's still a pleasant intellectual exercise to infer a pronunciation from a pre-existing set of rules.

My vote still goes for the OP's pronunciation "ne-crop-@-t@ns", with "-potence" imposing a proparoxytonic pattern as in "impotence "and "omnipotence" - this would be in keeping with the fact that "omnipresence" is pronounced "OMniPREZ@ense", i.e. "omni-" pronounced differently. If "-potence" weren't stress-imposing, we would have "OMniPOtense"...

As a Latinist, I prefer "penultimate" and "antepenultimate," but yes :p

The distinction between "omnipotence" and "omnipresence" arises from "po" being a short syllable and "prae" being a long syllable. English is far less rigid, but when we grab these words wholesale we tend not to change too much. Both omnipotence and omnipresence though likely came to English through French, which interestingly doesn't really have much of an accent system in place at all.
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because this thread just keeps on coming back - I decided to do a fun experiment run the word through a text-to-speech program, not a crappy online one - but one for people dyslexia who can't read - in other words, professional software that doesn't usually mis-pronounce words.

Long story short - it seems to rely on the language and voice I pick. If I try to run it through on a UK accent, or as UK English with American Accent, it's pronounced how OP says it. Basically regardless of accent, using UK English always yields OPs version.

If I run it through US English, and American accent - it's pronounced how I originally thought which is 'neck-row poh-tense.' I tried the UK accent on US English and it just sounded like sped up nonsense.

Even technology cannot decide this one.
    Edited by lagrue on March 9, 2017 9:16PM
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lagrue wrote: »
    (...)

That's almost human ... guess the AI just keeps on getting better!
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rouven wrote: »
    Get ready for this.

Necropolice!

Made that up all by myself. Cause this whole necrosurrecting business is illegal in some parts of the country. You can work yourself up to Necrofficer with your own squad.

Ahaha, well found!

I for one plead guilty of not checking the thread's date - loved thinking bout this "issue", though :)

well for what its worth this thread was made 2 days ago, its not a necro thread.
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necro-potence.
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    lagrue wrote: »
    Because this thread just keeps on coming back - I decided to do a fun experiment run the word through a text-to-speech program, not a crappy online one - but one for people dyslexia who can't read - in other words, professional software that doesn't usually mis-pronounce words.

Long story short - it seems to rely on the language and voice I pick. If I try to run it through on a UK accent, or as UK English with American Accent, it's pronounced how OP says it. Basically regardless of accent, using UK English always yields OPs version.

If I run it through US English, and American accent - it's pronounced how I originally thought which is 'neck-row poh-tense.' I tried the UK accent on US English and it just sounded like sped up nonsense.

So I'm an English speaking American. That's...that's actually pretty accurate.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hmmm....

Meh tropolis

Metro politan

Neh cropolis

Necro politan

Necro potent

Necro potence

Sorted!!

Om nipotent

Om nipotence....

Oh *** :(
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm....

Meh tropolis

Metro politan

Neh cropolis

Necro politan

Necro potent

Necro potence

Sorted!!

Om nipotent

Om nipotence....

Oh *** :(

Omni potent

Omni potence

Sorted again. :)
    Edited by srfrogg23 on March 9, 2017 10:15PM
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nurcruhpootense?
  • Arthg
    Arthg
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"Polis" (from the Greek work meaning city) is a stress-imposing suffix: it requires the previous syllable to be stressed.

As a prefix, "necro" will therefore adapt its pronunciation on whether the suffix is stress-imposing: it'll be pronounced "neck-roe" in "necromancer", "***", etc. but "ne crop" in "necropolis".

So now the question boils down to figuring out whether "potence" is a stress-imposing suffix or not.

In English, "potence" is not a stand-alone word, because of "potency", so arguing it should be pronounced " poe t@nse" ("@ being a schwa, i.e. the sound in the second syllable of, say, mountain") is going to be difficult.

We do have two words with "-potence" as a suffix, though: "omnipotence" and "impotence".
    These two words help us solve the issue, because they don't have the same number of syllables - yet in both instances, the preceding syllable is stressed ("omNIp@t@nce", "IMp@t@nce").

You could also say that potence is a possessive form of potent when combined with a prefix.

"He is necropotent" may sound nonsensical, but it works in the context of this fake word.

"His Necropotence", again nonsensical outside of fictional situations, but still suggests "he" possesses it.

In that situation, I wouldn't emphasize the "crop" part of the word. It's still two words being jammed together.

And, pronouncing "tence" like "tains" just sounds extra weird. I don't think that's going to catch on.

Not sure I understood what you said about the possessive form, or how that would help infer a defendable pronunciation, but what I meant with the "mountains" example was that the vowel in those syllables ("-tains" and "-tence") is reduced to a schwa (just like the second <a> in "data") - with the caveat of regional accents, some of which will feature no observable vowels on a spectrogram in "-tains", only so-called "vocalic nasals". Bit technical and irrelevant.

The point is that the only words in English that contain "potence", i.e. "impotence" and "omnipotence", feature it as a stress-imposing suffix (stress on the syllable preceding it, "IM-" and "omNI-"), which supports the argument for a "neCROPotence" / "incompetence" pronunciation - and in those words, the two vowels of "-potence" are schwas.
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Not sure I understood what you said about the possessive form, or how that would help infer a defendable pronunciation, but what I meant with the "mountains" example was that the vowel in those syllables ("-tains" and "-tence") is reduced to a schwa (just like the second <a> in "data") - with the caveat of regional accents, some of which will feature no observable vowels on a spectrogram in "-tains", only so-called "vocalic nasals". Bit technical and irrelevant.

The point is that the only words in English that contain "potence", i.e. "impotence" and "omnipotence", feature it as a stress-imposing suffix (stress on the syllable preceding it, "IM-" and "omNI-"), which supports the argument for a "neCROPotence" / "incompetence" pronunciation - and in those words, the two vowels of "-potence" are schwas.

You're putting way too much thought into this. Gotta scale it back some. I'm talking about the "way back when" days of English class.

The subject, verb, adjective, preposition days of English class.

I'm talking about how you modify the words of a sentence to show their relationship to the subject of the sentence. It's either describing the subject, describing what/how the subject is doing it, or if it is a quality that belongs to the subject.

The possessive form of a word illustrates that something belongs to the subject. The same example as before:

"He is omnipotent" describes the subject.

"His omnipotence" describes a quality that the subject owns.

That's what I mean by "possessive form".

As far as why Necropotence should be pronounced Necro-potence. Potence is the possessive modifier of Potent. Potent is not relegated to being only a suffix in the English language so no need to modify the pronunciation of the prefix, "Necro".
  • Pwnyridah
    Pwnyridah
    ✭✭✭
    Na'cropa'tense is what you do in toilet, necro'potence is the power of the living over the dead.

Man i had a crazy na'crapa'tense after drinking last night vs. I just brought that dude back to life and he's part of my undead army (or undead bartender that helps me stop drinking to prevent na'cropa'tense).
    Edited by Pwnyridah on March 10, 2017 3:42AM
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pwnyridah wrote: »
    Na'cropa'tense is what you do in toilet, necro'potence is the power of the living over the dead.

Man i had a crazy na'crapa'tense after drinking last night vs. I just brought that dude back to life and he's part of my undead army (or undead bartender that helps me stop drinking to prevent na'cropa'tense).

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    ✭✭✭
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NightbladeMechanics
    NightbladeMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Uh-TAW-muh-tawn

Automaton

Gotta let it run over your tongue quickly like automobile.
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Excellence without elitism
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend
    NA/PC's original dueling and PvP community guild
    Now NA/PC's dueling, BGs, small scale, GvG, and general PvP community. We float just under 500 members. Mail me in game for an invite.

Apex Predator.

Here's a great thread collecting community ideas for PvP updates.

[MEGATHREAD] Feedback Threads for Class Reps

Class Representative Feedback Discords:
    Nightblade Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/t2Xhnu6

Dragonknight Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/UHtZhz8

Sorcerer Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/e3QkCS8

Templar Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/WvVuSw7

Warden Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/sTFY4ys

General Healing Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/6CmzBFb

TONKS!
    https://discord.gg/DRNYd39

Werewolf Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/aDEx2ev

Vampire Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/yfzck8Q
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now say it in whale, like Dory. Ten times real slow.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Pwnyridah wrote: »

"Ne-Crap-olis": City of Dead ***
  • Arthg
    Arthg
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're putting way too much thought into this. Gotta scale it back some. I'm talking about the "way back when" days of English class.

I'm talking about how you modify the words of a sentence to show their relationship to the subject of the sentence. It's either describing the subject, describing what/how the subject is doing it, or if it is a quality that belongs to the subject.

The possessive form of a word illustrates that something belongs to the subject. The same example as before:

As far as why Necropotence should be pronounced Necro-potence. Potence is the possessive modifier of Potent. Potent is not relegated to being only a suffix in the English language so no need to modify the pronunciation of the prefix, "Necro".

I'll start by saying that this is all a mind game, and that I'm not defending tooth and nail any sort of pronunciation.
    It's just for the sake of argument, and for the sake of applying well-documented phonological processes to a neologism (the combination of a Greek root, "necro", and a Latin one, "potent", is itself dubious) - for the sake of lulz, no more.

To state that "potence is the possessive modifier of potent" shows that, well, you must have been quite asleep during your English classes, I'm sorry to say.
    None of your "explanations" are related to pronunciation, and they're based either on a failure to grasp the grammatical issues at hand (the relationship between "potent" and non-word "potence" has got nothing to do with possessive modifiers, it's a matter of grammatical nature, of derivation), or on a failure to manipulate the metalanguage (perhaps you mean something other than "possessive modifier").

Because of the existence of "potency" (affixations of the root "potent" are indeed extremely interesting), "-potence" ONLY exists as a suffix ("impotence" and "omnipotence"). And in those words, both vowels of "-potence" are reduced to schwas.

Now.

You could also argue the contrary, because of... "prepotence".

This would lead to a *very* interesting discussion (on opaque and transparent derivations), which (un)fortunately has got no place on a video-game forum.

I'll leave it at that, then :)
  • SaRuZ
    SaRuZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All words were made up at some point :)
  • Rataroto
    Rataroto
    ✭✭✭✭
    necro-potence
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    exeeter702 wrote: »
    Its pronounced as like incompetence

Say it with me please...

Neh-craw-poe-tense.

Seriously you people are driving me nutz. You know who you are.
    Uh... no. The pronunciation is not "craw" but "crow". "Neh-crow-poe-tense" is the proper way.

Here's a Thesaurus link with sound so you can hear "necro" appropriately.

Class dismissed!

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/c9704b0e-d852-4def-a6e0-05cd8ea32c46
  • Churga_Hral
    Churga_Hral
    ✭✭✭
    Vive la nécropotence!
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'll start by saying that this is all a mind game, and that I'm not defending tooth and nail any sort of pronunciation.
    It's just for the sake of argument, and for the sake of applying well-documented phonological processes to a neologism (the combination of a Greek root, "necro", and a Latin one, "potent", is itself dubious) - for the sake of lulz, no more.

To state that "potence is the possessive modifier of potent" shows that, well, you must have been quite asleep during your English classes, I'm sorry to say.
    None of your "explanations" are related to pronunciation, and they're based either on a failure to grasp the grammatical issues at hand (the relationship between "potent" and non-word "potence" has got nothing to do with possessive modifiers, it's a matter of grammatical nature, of derivation), or on a failure to manipulate the metalanguage (perhaps you mean something other than "possessive modifier").

Because of the existence of "potency" (affixations of the root "potent" are indeed extremely interesting), "-potence" ONLY exists as a suffix ("impotence" and "omnipotence"). And in those words, both vowels of "-potence" are reduced to schwas.

Now.

You could also argue the contrary, because of... "prepotence".

This would lead to a *very* interesting discussion (on opaque and transparent derivations), which (un)fortunately has got no place on a video-game forum.

I'll leave it at that, then :)

Ah, I see. You paid a bunch of money for graduate level language classes and now you have nowhere else to use it outside of a museum or the classroom.

But, you've gotta do something with that information so you might as well impress people on an MMO forum.

Makes sense, I suppose. Far be it from me to interrupt your mind games.
  • Churga_Hral
    Churga_Hral
    ✭✭✭
    Necropotential

Necropotentiary

Necropotentiation

Necropotentate
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Necropolitician - A politician whose career is over but they keep coming back.

Necropolis - A major zombie city. Beware!
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only thing this thread has proven is the American English has failed as a language. People continuing to debate when we can use proper phonics is a pretty sad state of affairs.
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah. Necropolis!
This discussion has been closed.