Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

PTS Feedback Thread for Sorcerer Balance Improvements

• Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flak wrote: »
    I still can't get over the insane nerf on Stamina, stamsorc in particular. I'm talking from an endgame PvE perspective here and I am aware that things are different in PvP. Still I think there has to be a way to balance it in Cyro without ruining it in PvE.

Has anyone at ZOS looked at the trialleaderboards and checked how many Staminaplayers are in an average group?
    It's already very rare, Staminachars have alot of disadvantages compared to Magicka, they have to stay melee, they are squishier, their rotations are harder, they have no shields and using the same pool for skills and defense.

So yes, Stamsorc and StamDK did a bit more damage than their Magicka Counterparts, but shouldn't there be some reward at least for playing a significantly harder class?
    How can you compare a Class that can sit in 20m range from the fight with a 20k shield and effectively only uses 5 skills to a class that stays right at the boss and uses a channeled spammable that can't even be blockcasted?

If this patch goes live the sides will be flipped on damage aswell and Stamina will be banished from endgame.

They need to find a way to keep it pve exclusive then, just like they did with Lightning splash for Sorcerers.
    Stamina is super brutal in pvp due to their bursty nature and increasing their damage would be overkill. They need something that can hardly be used against players, maybe a 4 meter poison pool or something.

Trapping webs could become something like that.
    Edited by Dracane on January 8, 2017 3:09AM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

My debut album on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@Gleandra/videos
    Options
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I still can't get over the insane nerf on Stamina, stamsorc in particular. I'm talking from an endgame PvE perspective here and I am aware that things are different in PvP. Still I think there has to be a way to balance it in Cyro without ruining it in PvE.

Has anyone at ZOS looked at the trialleaderboards and checked how many Staminaplayers are in an average group?
    It's already very rare, Staminachars have alot of disadvantages compared to Magicka, they have to stay melee, they are squishier, their rotations are harder, they have no shields and using the same pool for skills and defense.

So yes, Stamsorc and StamDK did a bit more damage than their Magicka Counterparts, but shouldn't there be some reward at least for playing a significantly harder class?
    How can you compare a Class that can sit in 20m range from the fight with a 20k shield and effectively only uses 5 skills to a class that stays right at the boss and uses a channeled spammable that can't even be blockcasted?

If this patch goes live the sides will be flipped on damage aswell and Stamina will be banished from endgame.

Yeah you forgot stamblades. But i agree with you. Its not just stam sorcs though. Rearming Trap was the strongest DoT all stam builds had. Now its nerfed by almost a third. We won't be seeing stam builds in trials if they don't change anything.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
    Options
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »

They need to find a way to keep it pve exclusive then, just like they did with Lightning splash for Sorcerers.
    Stamina is super brutal in pvp due to their bursty nature and increasing their damage would be overkill. They need something that can hardly be used against players, maybe a 4 meter poison pool or something.

With the destro buffs I think the damage will be on par in pvp tbh.
    Stamina a revert of rearming trap will go a long way. A buff to survivability too. Although at this point it seems hopeless. I don't see any easy way to buff stamina without increasing their damage output in pvp. So i think stam will just vanish from endgame PvE once again. Oh well it was a fun 3 patches! LOL
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Stamina a revert of rearming trap will go a long way. A buff to survivability too. Although at this point it seems hopeless. I don't see any easy way to buff stamina without increasing their damage output in pvp. So i think stam will just vanish from endgame PvE once again. Oh well it was a fun 3 patches! LOL

We shall see. They said, they have more things coming.
    Although their goal was to close the dps gap between magicka and stamina in the favor of magicka, as it was inferior when it comes to numbers. Seems like they've accomplished this, so maybe you shouldn't be too optimistic.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

Options
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

We shall see. They said, they have more things coming.
    Although their goal was to close the dps gap between magicka and stamina in the favor of magicka, as it was inferior when it comes to numbers. Seems like they've accomplished this, so maybe you shouldn't be too optimistic.

I'm not optimistic at all for once. I am for Curse though, I'm sure they'll do better than Haunting Curse. Its just strange that magicka is already vastly superior in AoE dps and that they've buffed the single target dps to the point where it out parses stamina. That just doean't make sense. Especially that they wanted to lower the ceiling, right now, all magicka builds are doing more damage than before, maybe even too much. So stam is out classed by mag in single target, in AoE and in survivability. Doesn't seem balanced to me. Whats the point of running stam in trials now? They used to offer some BIG single target burn, it was literally the only reason people brought 1 or 2 stam into trials. Now mag is better at it.
    Stam sorcs took the biggest nerf for no apparent reason btw. 75% nerf on hurricane and 30% on trap.
    I think this patch unbalanced things even more in pve. One tamriel was almost perfect. A slight buff to stam survivability and things were perfect. But no ffs
    So ya i'm not optimistic.
    Edited by Izaki on January 8, 2017 5:33AM
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
    Options
  • Birdovic
    Birdovic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As you mention Trapping Webs, I remember now how they butchered it and my beloved Mephalas Monster Helmet (loved it on my mag Sorc and DK heavy attack fun builds :smiley: ) in Staminas Favour.

What did we get instead?
    Very few builds use Spawn of Mephala anymore simply because there are Sets with more DPS (let's take Kra'gh as example).

And trapping Webs? While it allowed DW Sorc to use a good spammable outside of Force Pulse, it now is a travesty that scales on stamina that snares for a couple seconds in a small radius before it blows up, effectively warning everyone standing close to it with the ticks moving around. I

In Short: Its useless as hell and only ruined the magicka version it was before.

What you suggested is the best thing that could happen.
    Just keep the radius, increase duration to 10sec and let it do DoT each second before the explosion at the end happens (DoTs shouldn't be too strong due to the explosion happening). The explosion is a good indicator at the same time, so you know when to refresh it.
    The Spider Synergy can stay the same like that.
    spiders are good for PvE additional damage and for tanks that use Alkosh.
    And the Fear Morph is obviously better for PvP, but I think a instant damage synergy like Flood Lightning does, is also a good option, just with poison instead.
    Options
  • Kas
    Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i didn't really have the opportunity to test it in open-world pvp, but imho the greatest change seems to be that setting pets to passive now ports them to you. if this works reliably in cyrodiil, it can be a dream for 1vX / 2vX players that would liek to use pets - even when around obstacles. velocious curse gone seems quite bad for non-pet builds, though. Ill test more when there are EU copies, but playing againt templars (stam and mag, especially stam with shuffle though) seems really bad and even against mag dks it felt way worse than on live.... unlessyou unleashed the pets, that is.

so far, i'm pretty optimistic from a magsorc perspective for both, pve and pvp. it is VERY hard to tell, though without char copies, EU ping and different situations (duels vs cyrodiil, target dummy vs trials with raidbuffs, etc)

PS: ice staff seems liek another potent tool, but it's impossible to test because I
    1) certianly won't use it to tnak in pve and taunt with heavy attacks xD
    2) think it's potential in pvp goes strongly in the direction of temporary situations when many players are able to focus you. it's a situation where damage shields really suck (compared to forms of defense like dodge roles) and I can really see myself block+streak through those and then weapon swap to another bar where I reg magicka and rely on shields again (and hopefully was able to move in a away that I'm not focused as much anymore). but those situations don't occur on pts.

FInally I am a bit afraid that you can now build extremely cancerous support sorcs in heavy armor + ice staff for large-scale pvp. but then again, who cares abotu the state of large-scale pvp in the face of eye of the storm?
    Edited by Kas on January 8, 2017 1:04PM
    @bbu - AD/EU
    Kasiia - Templar (AR46)
    Kasiir Aberion - Sorc (AR38)
    Dr Kastafari - Warden (~AR31)
    + many others
    Options
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kas wrote: »
    i didn't really have the opportunity to test it in open-world pvp, but imho the greatest change seems to be that setting pets to passive now ports them to you . if this works reliably in cyrodiil, it can be a dream for 1vX / 2vX players that would liek to use pets - even when around obstacles. velocious curse gone seems quite bad for non-pet builds, though. Ill test more when there are EU copies, but playing againt templars (stam and mag, especially stam with shuffle though) seems really bad and even against mag dks it felt way worse than on live.... unlessyou unleashed the pets, that is.

so far, i'm pretty optimistic from a magsorc perspective for both, pve and pvp. it is VERY hard to tell, though without char copies, EU ping and different situations (duels vs cyrodiil, target dummy vs trials with raidbuffs, etc)

PS: ice staff seems liek another potent tool, but it's impossible to test because I
    2) think it's potential in pvp goes strongly in the direction of temporary situations when many players are able to focus you. it's a situation where damage shields really suck (compared to forms of defense like dodge roles) and I can really see myself block+streak through those and then weapon swap to another bar where I reg magicka and rely on shields again (and hopefully was able to move in a away that I'm not focused as much anymore). but those situations don't occur on pts.

FInally I am a bit afraid that you can now build extremely cancerous support sorcs in heavy armor + ice staff for large-scale pvp. but then again, who cares abotu the state of large-scale pvp in the face of eye of the storm?

Man I hope this is possible on console, I'm starting to like the sorc pets and this would make them so much more reliable for open world
    Edited by psychotic13 on January 8, 2017 2:11PM
    Options
  • TreeHugger1
    TreeHugger1
    ✭✭✭
    i didn't really have the opportunity to test it in open-world pvp, but imho the greatest change seems to be that setting pets to passive now ports them to you. if this works reliably in cyrodiil, it can be a dream for 1vX / 2vX players that would liek to use pets - even when around obstacles. velocious curse gone seems quite bad for non-pet builds, though. Ill test more when there are EU copies, but playing againt templars (stam and mag, especially stam with shuffle though) seems really bad and even against mag dks it felt way worse than on live.... unlessyou unleashed the pets, that is.

Please give me a quote,didn't see this in the patch notes.
    Options
  • cschwingeb14_ESO
    cschwingeb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Perma block ice staff magicka builds are going to be everywhere in PvP. It's not just a sorc thing. Having a skill that breaks block is going to be necessary. Good thing the best sorc block-ignorer just got nerfed. Magicka-melee blade here I come
    Edited by cschwingeb14_ESO on January 8, 2017 3:37PM
    Options
  • Kas
    Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭

there's nothing in the notes, you recognize it instantly when testing, though
    @bbu - AD/EU
    Kasiia - Templar (AR46)
    + many others
    Options
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's not too much trouble would you get a short clip showing it? Appreciate the feedback anyway, sucks being on console when PTS is out
    Options
  • dpencil
    dpencil
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Could you check with the skill devs if it's possible to have pets automatically switch targets to whatever mob you cast Daedric Prey on?
    Options
  • potirondb16_ESO
    potirondb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    opaj wrote: »
    I'm seeing a lot of folks make statements that seem to be grounded in assumption rather than testing the content, so spurred by one such comment I hopped on the PTS and tried some things out with the Ancient Knowledge passive.

I gave my new template character a CR 160 Inferno, Frost, and Lightning Staff, then checked the tooltips on a bunch of skills that had both single-target and AOE components. (The Frost Staff was a control group, used to get base values.)

- When equipped with an Inferno Staff, the single-target component of Crystal Blast, Summon Volatile Familiar, Haunting Curse, Mages' Wrath, and Overload gain a damage boost.

- When equipped with a Lightning Staff, the AOE component of Summon Volatile Familiar, Haunting Curse, and Mages' Wrath gain a damage boost.

- When equipped with a Lightning Staff, the AOE component of Crystal Blast and Overload do not get a damage boost. ( @ZOS_GinaBruno , I bugged this, but you may want to have the team look at how this skill interacts with the Ancient Knowledge passive. It should also be noted that, when testing Overload, the tooltips got finicky and stopped updating -- I had to confirm the damage changes by testing it on a target dummy.)

- The bonus will switch on the fly when you bar swapped. I cast Wall of Fire on the training dummy then swapped to my Lightning Staff bar to gain the bonus AOE damage. This is what I expected, but again, we have the PTS so we can actually test things. ;)

I'm looking forward to playing with lightning/inferno staff combos, though I'm mildly bummed about being shifted away from my dual-wield bar. I'm not seeing the appeal of Haunting Curse and the new Ultimate limit will probably get me to stop using Overload as my main magicka recharging skill, but hopefully this weekend some better players than I will really put these changes through their paces.

[EDIT]
    There appear to have been some errors with my testing. Corrections have been made.

It is true that the passive should stick to the weapon you apply them with. What's the use of casting on lighting bar if lighting bonus will stop to work once you barswap...

I already notice that the damage you receive from a bow dot is increase when you swap to your dw bar... but to be honnest it is really wierd... Not suppose to happend.

Kind of a pain.
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's not too much trouble would you get a short clip showing it? Appreciate the feedback anyway, sucks being on console when PTS is out

Because it's not true. Sorry @Kas I like you, but what you said regarding pet teleport is not true.
    It's still the same trash as on live, they do not port to you or anything. They just vanish without a trace as usual and you have to unsummon them first.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

Options
  • Kas
    Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭

afaik there's no "recall pets" button on console anyway, or is there?

Because it's not true. Sorry @Kas I like you, but what you said regarding pet teleport is not true.
    It's still the same trash as on live, they do not port to you or anything. They just vanish without a trace as usual and you have to unsummon them first.

nooooo :(
    but for me they always vanished for half a second only to appear right next to me. didn't test it extensively but happened about ~15 out of 15 times
    Edited by Kas on January 8, 2017 5:46PM
    @bbu - AD/EU
    Kasiia - Templar (AR46)
    + many others
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

but for me they always vanished for half a second only to appear right next to me. didn't test it extensively but happened about ~15 out of 15 times

They loose their ability to port when in combat. Outside of combat, they have a speed boost to keep up with you and they also port to you when you are too fast. Altough as soon as combat starts, they loose all of that.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

Options
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haunting Curse is just bad. Please revert it back to Velocious. The idea of auto-cast a second curse makes no sense at all!

Well, if it was 3.5 seconds then another explosion after an additional 3.5 seconds...

Maybe the patch notes had a typo.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
    Options
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No there isn't, but I remain hopeful they'll one day get round to it. Thanks @Dracane for clearing that up anyway, had my hopes up they were totally overhauling pets
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No there isn't, but I remain hopeful they'll one day get round to it. Thanks @Dracane for clearing that up anyway, had my hopes up they were totally overhauling pets

You are on Xbox, right ? :/ You can't have the pet dismiss addon that allows you to allocate your pet unsummons to keys. This is so essential for me, I couldn't play without it. But it would be much better if pets would just teleport to us if we commented them to stop.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

Options
  • TrinityBreaker
    TrinityBreaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minalan wrote: »
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    You guys can all rot in hell for killing magika sorc for pvp with this curse nerf.

Sub canceled, game uninstalled, forum posting over.

It was a good run guys, but ZoS is *** terrible, they ruin every play style they create.

Are you on xbox eu? Can i have your stuff plzkthx?

Jokes aside, no need to get this upset about 1 skill change that still has a chance to get reverted, just like the lightning staff one.

They. Never. Revert. Anything. My friend, we should already have a transition plan in place, I'm checking out SWTOR again. It's been awhile.

I hope I'm wrong about it, but I doubt it.

Yes, they once gave Altmer 3% more magicka regen (well deserved) but then they took it away in the 2nd pts week because people were complaining :)

They also gave khajiit 6% max stam(was very very happy), then they reverted it becuase khajiit carnage passive is "OP". :/
    Ebonheart for life.
    Xbox NA
    I am Dog Star.

Khajiit Stam Sorc - Ji'saad Ranajiradh AR 30
    Khajiit Mag DK - Kesjhad
    Khajiit Magblade - Ji'sava Ak'nir
    Fat Khajiit Stamplar - Dro'haniAk'nir - AR 36
    Khajiit Stam Dk - Diego Ri'jhad - AR 49
    Khajiit Magplar - Dro'nara Ak'nir
    Khajiit StamBlade - Ri'artharr Ak'nir
    Fat Khajiit Stamden - Dro'hani Warbreaker
    Argonian Stam DK - Tiberius Demetros
    Khajiit Stamplar - Diëgo Ri'jhad
    Fat Khajiit Stam DK - Drö'hani Ak'nir/Dances-With-Alkosh
    Khajiit Magden - Arctic Mayhem

Options
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You are on Xbox, right ? :/ You can't have the pet dismiss addon that allows you to allocate your pet unsummons to keys. This is so essential for me, I couldn't play without it. But it would be much better if pets would just teleport to us if we commented them to stop.

So on console i can't control me pet and can't call it back or resummon if it goes on a adventure?

Cool.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
    Options
  • Birdovic
    Birdovic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So on console i can't control me pet and can't call it back or resummon if it goes on a adventure?

Cool.

Yup, cant. Great how they just forgot/ignored to bring that function over to consoles :lol:
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool.

This should be no secret anymore :) You know it.
    Even with controls and addons, pets are a mess. But without the chance to give them any direction, they would be completely useless. So glad I decided to join PC in 2014
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

Options
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    opaj wrote: »
    I'm seeing a lot of folks make statements that seem to be grounded in assumption rather than testing the content, so spurred by one such comment I hopped on the PTS and tried some things out with the Ancient Knowledge passive.

I gave my new template character a CR 160 Inferno, Frost, and Lightning Staff, then checked the tooltips on a bunch of skills that had both single-target and AOE components. (The Frost Staff was a control group, used to get base values.)

- When equipped with an Inferno Staff, the single-target component of Crystal Blast, Summon Volatile Familiar, Haunting Curse, Mages' Wrath, and Overload gain a damage boost.

- When equipped with a Lightning Staff, the AOE component of Summon Volatile Familiar, Haunting Curse, and Mages' Wrath gain a damage boost.

- When equipped with a Lightning Staff, the AOE component of Crystal Blast and Overload do not get a damage boost. ( @ZOS_GinaBruno , I bugged this, but you may want to have the team look at how this skill interacts with the Ancient Knowledge passive. It should also be noted that, when testing Overload, the tooltips got finicky and stopped updating -- I had to confirm the damage changes by testing it on a target dummy.)

- The bonus will switch on the fly when you bar swapped. I cast Wall of Fire on the training dummy then swapped to my Lightning Staff bar to gain the bonus AOE damage. This is what I expected, but again, we have the PTS so we can actually test things. ;)

I'm looking forward to playing with lightning/inferno staff combos, though I'm mildly bummed about being shifted away from my dual-wield bar. I'm not seeing the appeal of Haunting Curse and the new Ultimate limit will probably get me to stop using Overload as my main magicka recharging skill, but hopefully this weekend some better players than I will really put these changes through their paces.

[EDIT]
    There appear to have been some errors with my testing. Corrections have been made.

It is true that the passive should stick to the weapon you apply them with. What's the use of casting on lighting bar if lighting bonus will stop to work once you barswap...

I already notice that the damage you receive from a bow dot is increase when you swap to your dw bar... but to be honnest it is really wierd... Not suppose to happend.

Kind of a pain.

The damage on sny tick is based on whatever you have equipped at tick. Its been that way on live for long time. So you can have the aoe anywhere but swap to dw or light staff as it ticks.

Same with all other passives or when slotteds like say the max mag gains, crit

The new light staff v aoe is same.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

Options
  • Elyu
    Elyu
    ✭✭✭
    My thoughts on the curse changes:

For pve, a small buff
    For pvp VERY BAD

Simple solution that satisfies both pvers and pvpers:

Add haunting curse effect to daedric prey morph. Leave Velocious curse as it is on live.

PvE will use daedric prey as it will have all the benefits of 'haunting curse', while the extra pet damage won't apply.
    PvP will use velocious as on live fr sustained pressure on targets in combination with proced frags.
    Pet sorc gets a small buff as they'll have to re-apply curse 1/2 as often, but it won't affect their ability to deal damage in any other way.

SIMPLES.
    Options
  • Kas
    Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They loose their ability to port when in combat. Outside of combat, they have a speed boost to keep up with you and they also port to you when you are too fast. Altough as soon as combat starts, they loose all of that.

ohh thanks. that must be it then in combination with the changes to getting out of combat faster.
    @bbu - AD/EU
    Kasiia - Templar (AR46)
    + many others
    Options
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did someone test and confirm whether the ancient knowledge 8% bonus apply only to destruction staff skills or also to all skills?
    Options
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah I'm on Xbox, I primarily duel though so it's not a huge disadvantage, in open world though yeah that would be so handy for us on console.
    Options
  • aLi3nZ
    aLi3nZ
    ✭✭✭✭
    That Curse nerf hits pretty hard. Sourc doesn't really have a spammable dps skill and now the rotation timing is kinda screwed as we are being pushed towards pets. I dislike toggles and pets because of how limited it makes you as far as how many avalible skills.

Pet build seems possibly the strongest now for duels at least which kinda sux. I think we are going to see more and more pet builds and I might just give it a go as well.
    Options