The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

[Player Suggestion] Weapon Dye, Transmogrification, and Trait Rerolling

• Hardicon
    Hardicon
    all very good ideas and i would like to add two more. Allow us to save known builds and gear setups. I play a dps/healer templar just allow me to save my two builds and when i switch the game automatically puts the correct gear on.

Also give us some bank sorting function so i can keep my gear together and sorted. Just allow to sort by sets or allow us to move stuff in the bank to where we want it so i dont have to go searching all over my bank for gear.
  • MaxwellC
    MaxwellC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I definitely want this. I feel my stamina character looks amazing and if I can replicate that on my mag dk or get rid of the ugly looking armor some set pieces require me to wear, then more to it!
    不動の Steadfast - Unwavering
    XBL Gamer Tag - Maxwell
    XB1 Maxwell Crystal - NA DC CP 800+ Redguard Stamina DK
    XB1 Max Crystal - NA DC CP 800+ Brenton Magicka DK
    PC Maxwell-Crystal - NA DC - CP 200+ Brenton Magicka DK 「Retired」
    Band Camp statements: To state "But this one time I saw X doing X... so that justifies X" Refers to the Band camp statement.
    Coined by Maxwel
    l
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weapon dyes, ZOS, weapon dyes. It doesn't need any fancy explanation or backstory or defense. We can already dye fully metal armors, scales, whatever it may be that our armor is crafted from and it stays in place no matter how battered we are. We already have the option of running around as a bright pink and blue nuisance to the eyes, and most elect not to look like metallic cotton candy.

Instead almost all of us at max level are being made to run around with cherry red weapons, some of which end up looking like a pathetic christmas tree on our backs (ancient elf staff anyone?)

As for the other suggestions, I have no particular feelings on the 'transmog' and trait rerolling sounds... ech.
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
  • ldzlcs065
    ldzlcs065
    ✭✭✭
    Very good proposals! While for transmogrification I've an idea to make it unique and in accordance with existing mechanics: simply allow us craft costumes of know styles.
  • jeremiah911
    jeremiah911
    ✭✭✭
    Hardicon wrote: »
    all very good ideas and i would like to add two more. Allow us to save known builds and gear setups. I play a dps/healer templar just allow me to save my two builds and when i switch the game automatically puts the correct gear on.

Also give us some bank sorting function so i can keep my gear together and sorted. Just allow to sort by sets or allow us to move stuff in the bank to where we want it so i dont have to go searching all over my bank for gear.

I couldn't agree more with these two suggestions. Great catch!
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Add style changing to that too. There's so many times I wish I could change the style of crafted as well as dropped set gear.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Pepper8Jack
    Pepper8Jack
    ✭✭✭
    I would even be fine with the reroll on traits to still be RNG. AS it is, too many potentially valuable drops become decon material simply due to a garbage trait. Having a chance to reroll it would at least be a hope that it'll be useful. It could even be a nice gold sink as well
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TheBastion

Hate to burst any bubble but think Zos recently said no to transmorfing anything.
  • Annalyse
    Annalyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love these ideas, especially weapon dyeing. I'm so sick of being stuck using Glass on everything because I don't want red weapons. Even if they only had a limited set of dyes for weapons in metal colors I would be a very happy person.
    Wolfshead wrote: »
    I agree on both Weapon Gilding (Weapon Dye) and Trait Rerolling on Crafted, Dropped Gear (Set or Otherwise) but not on A Transmogrification/Transmutation System for i dont know about you but is all Costumes the same as transmogrification at least to me it is same i dont know what else you want to transmogrification to be honest consider that you can bascially craft all race styles + more if you get craft books so you can bascially gear Char as you want.

The common problem now is sets. One Tamriel introduced multiple sets that are wanted much more than the sets you can craft. The problem is that they are drops in styles that you might not want. On top of this, there are multiple new motif styles introduced with every new major update, and people want to be able to use them. But if you are wearing a set drop, you can't use the fancy new motifs.

Costumes would be fine if they had costumes for every motif style. Currently costume choices are very limited and I personally don't care for most of them as I prefer an armor look.

I would love to be able to use a new motif on an existing set, even for a high gold cost, or to be able to change the look of a high level basic set to the lower level version (the higher level stuff is so ugly).
  • Solus
    Solus
    ✭✭✭✭
    TheBastion wrote: »
    Greetings again, ZOS!

All told, it’s been roughly a year (give or take a few months) since I drafted up my last Player Suggestion. Given that, as of One Tamriel’s launch, most of what I suggested was put in-game – even if by sheer coincidence. Because of this, I cannot help but feel a strong sense of hope that your team reads these suggestion threads and relays them to the development team to see where they might fit, if even feasible to do so.

With that said, in the spirit of civil discussion and being able to suggest things using the proper channels, I would like to put forth another slew of suggestions your way to see if they are at all feasible to integrate into the game.

This suggestion comes in three main parts:

Weapon Gilding (Weapon Dye)
    A Transmogrification/Transmutation System
    Trait Rerolling on Crafted, Dropped Gear (Set or Otherwise)

First off, let’s start with the most basic:

Weapon Gilding:
    (or allowing players to dye their weaponry)

What is Weapon Gilding—or the term Gilding, in general?

Gilding is a term in metallurgy and blacksmithing which relates to using any particular soft metal (i.e. gold, copper, bronze, brass) to ‘color’ another metal object by way of using crushed granules of the soft metal and applying it to the surface of the metal object they'd like to color, and then heating it for the ‘essence’ of those soft metal granules to stick to it.

In contemporary settings, some blacksmiths (like those in Man-At-Arms: Reforged, to those who are familiar) use a brass wire-wheel as an example to apply a brassy color to their otherwise plain steel creations.

Another method in blacksmithing is applying black oxide to a metal to give it a darker grey, perhaps even black color.

While yet another way is simply heating a metal to a certain temperature until they retain a color different from the plain white-grey of steel.

What does this all mean? Simply, weapon dyeing is not impossible. I’m not particularly sure at this point if this is in the works with your development team. If it is, then it’s all well and good and this can certainly be ignored as being a redundancy. If not, I’ve simply given some ways for it to be done without having to break the lore of the game – which I understand is very dear to most if not all of us.

A last thing on this subject, I understand that the reason why ZOS didn’t want to entertain the idea of dyeing weapons: it’s because you don’t want players running around using hot pink blades, swords, hammers and the like.

But for that, I offer a counter-argument: With the addition of VR16's Rubedite and Ruby Ash, players are already running around with bright red metal and wood, so I – in civil fashion – would like to call that argument out, as you sort of shot yourself in the foot with that. (It's all good, though. :smile: )

As for why this might be a thing: We can already dye our armor, clothing, costumes, and shields. Weapons are the only thing that we can’t. I personally feel it would be good continuity to do so.

Moving on to the next point:

A Transmogrification/Transmutation System:

In the first place, what does Transmogrification mean in the context of an MMORPG? Well, Transmogrification is the system by which the game allows a player to swap the appearance of a certain item (albeit with some limitations and within reason) to that of another.

This thought occurs to me as a roleplayer, rather than simply as one who enjoys the game’s content. So, in all honesty, I don’t imagine this will affect the PvE/PvP crowd much, but it may also benefit them. Because who doesn’t want to look good while running dungeons and trials and smacking around your enemy Alliance, right?

I don’t mean to make comparison, but a number of MMORPGs (and I do understand that Matt Firor has made the distinction that ESO is an RPG, plain and simple) are already making use of transmogrification systems.

Some in the form of:
    • Costume tabs where you can set an outfit out of collected appearances once unlocked;
    • An NPC who can change the appearance of a worn item for in-game currency (i.e. gold);
    • An item in the hands of the player that can be used to transmute the appearance of a worn item to one you have already collected;
    • And then some.

If this idea is at all feasible, I would like to suggest that this be added to the game. How this might be done, I can only guess as your development teams are the experts on the matter. However, I can certainly provide examples, some of which include:

• Make a ‘Convert to Another Motif’ function, not unlike those afforded by Digital Imperial Edition players who get the option to Convert to Imperial Style;
    • Make it so that those who have certain motifs unlocked can simply change their items to look like another by using the crafting stations, with a style material (and another material cost, if your developers deem it fit) as the reagent;
    • On that same vein, it does not impede any mechanics in the game and allows for crafting to remain relevant as some motifs require that you have raised a crafting skill passive to Rank 10, which requires that you max out the crafting line, anyway.

I predict that it will at least allow players a level of freedom to express themselves in that they want to play content in the game, thus needing to make use of certain set items out in the world. However, they might not approve of the appearance of these items and would prefer that they looked like something else. In a game like ESO, that boasts a wide array of racial motifs, I feel that it would make sense to allow a player to diversify their ensemble as they see fit.

With that, I feel Transmogrification could enhance the game, rather than impede or hamper it. I’d like to believe that I speak on behalf of many players when I say that adventurers like to look impressive while delving dungeons and facing down the dastardly denizens of the dark.

On to my last point:

Trait Rerolling on Crafted, Dropped Gear:
    (Set or Otherwise)

For this note, I would first like to firmly say that ZOS gave the players much freedom and power in the form of allowing us to upgrade our gear, even up to the Epic and Legendary levels through the use of Tempers.

I daresay that being able to reroll traits on gear should be a small issue, if it would ever become one at all.

Let me give you an example:

Say you’ve been farming a particular dungeon, and the item you wanted finally dropped to complete your set. Only one problem: the trait is Well-Fitted or Prosperous, rather than Divine that you were looking for. Even a minute detail like that can be frustrating for anyone.

With that said, I propose being able to reroll traits on items.

How can it be done? Again, I’m no expert on the matter; I leave that to the developers at ZOS. However, I can again provide an example and suggestion:

• Through crafting, with one catch being you must have that trait you want to add researched before you are able to reroll the said trait onto the item in question;
    • and you must have a trait material;
    • Another is the same suggestion, only that you need to have both the trait you want to add and the trait already on the item before you can reroll it.

With a system like this in place, I feel that it does not impede the game’s content and relevance of gear from dungeons and the world itself. In fact, I feel that it simply hopes to mitigate the level of frustration a player might feel when they find a set piece they need, but has a trait different than the one they were looking for and hoping on. One will still need to farm and conquer these dungeons, but you won’t need to break your back looking for an item with a specific trait anymore.

You only need to reroll the trait and you're good to go.

In any case, I think I’ve rambled on long enough. I leave this thread in the hands of my fellow players and see what they have to say on the matter. If you have anything you'd like to clarify or add, please feel free. This thread is for open discussion.

Whatever you think, whatever you feel – let’s be heard!

Thank you very much, guys! [T]7

To add to your last point, maybe make it have a timer, like what is required for research, so not every single person day one of this being implemented has everything all at once. And make it so you cannot receive an item from a player so you can change traits for them. When you change traits it binds to your account, also make trait changing the very last passive in each tree, requiring you to master the craft before being a "master crafter" and able to change traits, because my understanding of the traits is the item is imbued with a certain gemstone, which gives it its trait. Only a master-crafter can un-imbue a trait from weapons/armor.

Just my two cents.

:]
    The-Pumpkin-King // Stamblade

https://www.twitch.tv/beenerschnitzel

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

My PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/GGWXsY
  • thomas1970b16_ESO
    thomas1970b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    LaiTash wrote: »
    Smepic wrote: »
    1.I agree.
    2. I do not agree.
    3. I do not agree.

Provide reasoning, just like the original post does.
    LaiTash wrote: »
    > trait rerolling

Now that we have that insane 100% set item drop rates i can't disagree more.

One hundred percent item drop rates? Players have to do the same dungeon for eighteen hours just to get the correct weapon and trait. This is silly. Why should obtaining viable gear be such a massive waste of time?

Use crafted gear, it's viable as hell. Yes, you must "waste" your time (if you think dungeon runs are waste of time then why even play this game?) to get the BiS gear. Otherwise, why can't we have /impulse9 slash command to just get all the BiS items instantly, no time wasted?

Right now i'm having a crafted tank gear and looted dd gear. The latter is absolute crap regarding traits, but know what? I'm doing fine. Of course i want something better, but i'm not going to cry over it and ask for insta win features like trait rerolling. Having a space for improvement is actually what keeps most people insterested in keeping playing.

You pretty much said what I would have said in my original post. Thanks! I mean it.
  • TheBastion
    TheBastion
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to thank everyone for the replies. Just to note, I did mention that this thread would be for open discussion and ideation. That means that every suggestion on the subjects at hand that you post (whether for things I may have overlooked or forgotten) is a legimitate suggestion in itself.

However, I urge others to keep it as civil as possible. I understand we as the playerbase often have very strong opinions about some things. I've already managed to glimpse these strong opinions regarding trait rerolling. That said, there is no need for hostility. If you don't like it, say that you don't and give your reasoning. This thread isn't for my enjoyment or benefit, but for ZOS should they choose to read it and all the content within - shared by all of us.

With that said, good job to everyone who's contributed to the discussion at hand. Again, I make no illusions that ZOS's implementation of the features that align with my suggestions in an earlier Player Suggestion is anything more than coincidence, but that doesn't stop me from being hopeful, nevertheless.

I urge that you, dear readers and fellow players, espouse a similar view on things.

Thank you very much.
    Edited by TheBastion on October 23, 2016 7:58AM
  • Vythri
    Vythri
    ✭✭✭✭
    @TheBastion

Hate to burst any bubble but think Zos recently said no to transmorfing anything.

When and where was this? That would be incredibly disappointing if true, and completely nonsensical. Why waste time making all of these cool new motifs if all of the best gear are dropped sets anyway? It's just a waste of time and money on their part paying artists to come up with this stuff.

Plus the argument that people would use it to hide what monster sets they were using is invalid as well, due to the current costume system they already employ.

The only reason they may not want to allow transmog is because they don't want it to interfere with those costume sales in the crown store. If they actually make cool and detailed costumes that were unique though, then that wouldn't matter. People would still buy them.

Oh and one last thing that's semi-related. Can I get a damn hood that doesn't have a face mask with it? Can that be a thing for the love of God?
    Edited by Vythri on October 23, 2016 3:00PM
  • TheBastion
    TheBastion
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm. It seems this was summarily moved by ZOS moderators to the appropriate forum. As before, this remains to be a thread for open discussion. I'd like to continue reading your thoughts and suggestions on this matter, including possible clarifications and additions to the suggestions I've already posted in the original.

Whatever you think, whatever you feel–let’s be heard! \[T]/
    Edited by TheBastion on October 23, 2016 7:16PM
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all the drop sets I'd definitely like to see some sort of Transmog system or way to create your own costume out of armors.

I've been wanting weapon dyes since they first put out dye in the game, even if they restrict it to only metallic colors or particular colors so we don't see really out there weapon colors (one of the excuses they used against implementing this in the past).

As for trait re-rolling, even though it would make my life easier, I'd say no. Making gear even easier to get would just give people even less reason to repeat content. I think making stuff tradable in your group is enough. The only changes I'd like to see is prosperous gone - it's the only completely useless trait in the game - and I'd like to see drop rates tinkered with so you aren't getting training gear at cap.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gambling crates and furniture crafting is far more important :/
  • TheBastion
    TheBastion
    ✭✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »
    With all the drop sets I'd definitely like to see some sort of Transmog system or way to create your own costume out of armors.

I've been wanting weapon dyes since they first put out dye in the game, even if they restrict it to only metallic colors or particular colors so we don't see really out there weapon colors (one of the excuses they used against implementing this in the past).

As for trait re-rolling, even though it would make my life easier, I'd say no. Making gear even easier to get would just give people even less reason to repeat content. I think making stuff tradable in your group is enough. The only changes I'd like to see is prosperous gone - it's the only completely useless trait in the game - and I'd like to see drop rates tinkered with so you aren't getting training gear at cap.

On weapon dyes:
    - I think that's fair; simply restricting the dyes you can put on your weapon to the grey/silver, gold/brass, green/orichalcum spectrum. Honestly, I feel like they have a base to work with in terms of which dyes ought to work, considering some of the metals have an 'out there' feel to them already.
    - Voidsteel makes your weapons' metal parts (i.e. the blade) have a navy blue color. If I'm not mistaken, Calcinium gives a bone-white/flesh color. Rubedite obviously gives that deep cherry red color to our weapons. Though I'm no expert, I'm pretty sure those are pretty out there, as far as metal color is concerned.

On trait re-rolling:
    - You make a fair argument about it, all things considered. In retrospect, it does make it so running content is simply a redundant thing once you've obtained what you need. But again, I think this is something for the developers to look into. Whether or not this could be feasible at all is up to them, based on the feedback the playerbase gives. One avenue being this thread of mine.
    Edited by TheBastion on October 24, 2016 4:29AM
  • woodgolemb14_ESO
    Both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton approve of this post.
  • TheBastion
    TheBastion
    ✭✭✭
    Both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton approve of this post.

That one thing they can agree on, I imagine? What a world we live in!
  • Doomslinger781
    Doomslinger781
    ✭✭✭
    Please put in transmog...

I just dropped $100 on crowns, and SERIOUSLY struggled with committing that last $50, because there is no transmog.

I'm sure that sounds silly to some, but honestly, when you spend weeks or months grinding for motifs through dailies, or checking dwemer pots, or even spending cash on the Imperial Edition dlc (or any other motif dlc for that matter), it's frustrating to have to throw away the appearance you worked for in order to be endgame-competent. Obviously ZoS knows appearance is important to their players, because it's such a big part of their game, but with the lack of transmog, an important part of my enjoyment and drive has been denied.

1-CP160 was great, but now as a dedicated player who wants to enjoy endgame content by using things like monster pieces and drop sets, I can't look the way I want!?!? I had awesome looking weapons crafted in just the styles I want, but now I've gotta use whatever silly looking instruments come with my new drop set. Honestly, it's killing my enthusiasm during these weeks of dropped set grinding. I invested so much time, and gold, and $ into the way I looked, and I was proud as hell. Now I'm just frustrated every time I get to the character selection screen, and I know I'm not the only one.

At this point, the appearance system and loot system are in major conflict with each other, and it IS a detriment to the game, but transmog would solve this. I implore the developers to do away with the tiresome idea that performance MUST be tied to appearance, like most other AAA MMOs have. Make it right, ZoS.

(As a side note, plenty of people float the idea that ZoS doesn't want to have transmog so that they can push costume sales. Who knows if that's true with all the silence on the matter, but out of principle, I refuse to make any costume purchases.)

Edited by Doomslinger781 on October 27, 2016 8:50PM
    Templar: Duncan Castlehoff (main)
    Sorc: Sabine Lumoria
    DK: Auderlant
    NB: Yggmeena
    Templar: Mukambei
    DK: Stegmon
    Sorc: Gruze Von Kruger
    NB: Gnarl Ballin
  • emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No transmog, or whatever WOW calls it

Simple, put in a mastercrafter ability to be able to re-design armor to a different style.
    Thasi - V16 Magblade Vampire PC/NA
  • Doomslinger781
    Doomslinger781
    ✭✭✭
    emily3989 wrote: »
    No transmog, or whatever WOW calls it

Simple, put in a mastercrafter ability to be able to re-design armor to a different style.

What you're describing IS transmog, you're just suggesting a particular way to go about it. Fine. So Yes transmog.
    Templar: Duncan Castlehoff (main)
    Sorc: Sabine Lumoria
    DK: Auderlant
    NB: Yggmeena
    Templar: Mukambei
    DK: Stegmon
    Sorc: Gruze Von Kruger
    NB: Gnarl Ballin
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes on all but #3. Only change trait on crafted gear. What would be the purpose on runnning vmsa then??? Then u just need to hope you get the weapon you looking for and then change trait.......just no.
  • Abob
    Abob
    ✭✭✭
    Give us freedom!!! We want to look cool!!!
  • Galenus_of_Pergamon
    Yes, ZoS, please bring coherence to the game's current crafting system and make it to where Master Crafters have more of a purpose (in consideration of end-game PvE and PvP) than making stylish outfits. We want stylist armor- not merely outfits (relatively speaking).

Many of us players would like to not have to sacrifice functionality for aesthetics, or vice versa. We want ours characters to be effective as possible and to look as good as possible, simultaneously!
    Edited by Galenus_of_Pergamon on November 2, 2016 5:28PM
    14 AD Characters all 730CP+ (more info coming soon)

Vivat Veritas
  • Oxkill
    Oxkill
    ✭✭
    I think that the game would really benefit from these ideas, and so our community. There are so many cool looking motifs that deserve to be used more. Looking for certain armor sets, even low tier, would encourage the players to travel even more for all the different zones.
    I would suggest even a wider collection of motifs to find in the game, if met certain requirements, more like pets and mounts collecting in WoW.
    Edited by Oxkill on November 4, 2016 11:00AM
  • TheBastion
    TheBastion
    ✭✭✭
    It heartens me to see the amount of support this idea seems to be getting.

Thank you all, and I hope you won't be the only ones to see and support this. Even those who decry it are welcome to give their feedback and reasoning as to why they don't like it.

Again, this is a thread for open discussion.

Whatever you think, whatever you feel--let's be heard! \[T]/
  • penek
    penek
    i really want something like transmog, or using items as "clothing" like in eq2 for example, because if not - i totally missing point of Event crafting style, because - why would anyone want it, if TOP items come from dungeons and\or trials?
    Edited by penek on November 7, 2016 7:05AM
  • Apherius
    Apherius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
  • FilteredRiddle
    FilteredRiddle
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love all of your suggestions; they're things I've wanted for quite some time. I'd be pretty psyched if they were introduced.
    Xbox One NA
    The Sentinels of Padomay
    Obsidian Guard (Social with PvX Events)

Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible and that it's always worth trying, and trying now. Gamers don't sit around.
    - Jane McGonigal