The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[Player Suggestion] Weapon Dye, Transmogrification, and Trait Rerolling

TheBastion
TheBastion
✭✭✭
Greetings again, ZOS!

All told, it’s been roughly a year (give or take a few months) since I drafted up my last Player Suggestion. Given that, as of One Tamriel’s launch, most of what I suggested was put in-game – even if by sheer coincidence. Because of this, I cannot help but feel a strong sense of hope that your team reads these suggestion threads and relays them to the development team to see where they might fit, if even feasible to do so.

With that said, in the spirit of civil discussion and being able to suggest things using the proper channels, I would like to put forth another slew of suggestions your way to see if they are at all feasible to integrate into the game.

This suggestion comes in three main parts:

Weapon Gilding (Weapon Dye)
A Transmogrification/Transmutation System
Trait Rerolling on Crafted, Dropped Gear (Set or Otherwise)

First off, let’s start with the most basic:

Weapon Gilding:
(or allowing players to dye their weaponry)

What is Weapon Gilding—or the term Gilding, in general?

Gilding is a term in metallurgy and blacksmithing which relates to using any particular soft metal (i.e. gold, copper, bronze, brass) to ‘color’ another metal object by way of using crushed granules of the soft metal and applying it to the surface of the metal object they'd like to color, and then heating it for the ‘essence’ of those soft metal granules to stick to it.

In contemporary settings, some blacksmiths (like those in Man-At-Arms: Reforged, to those who are familiar) use a brass wire-wheel as an example to apply a brassy color to their otherwise plain steel creations.

Another method in blacksmithing is applying black oxide to a metal to give it a darker grey, perhaps even black color.

While yet another way is simply heating a metal to a certain temperature until they retain a color different from the plain white-grey of steel.

What does this all mean? Simply, weapon dyeing is not impossible. I’m not particularly sure at this point if this is in the works with your development team. If it is, then it’s all well and good and this can certainly be ignored as being a redundancy. If not, I’ve simply given some ways for it to be done without having to break the lore of the game – which I understand is very dear to most if not all of us.

A last thing on this subject, I understand that the reason why ZOS didn’t want to entertain the idea of dyeing weapons: it’s because you don’t want players running around using hot pink blades, swords, hammers and the like.

But for that, I offer a counter-argument: With the addition of VR16's Rubedite and Ruby Ash, players are already running around with bright red metal and wood, so I – in civil fashion – would like to call that argument out, as you sort of shot yourself in the foot with that. (It's all good, though. :smile: )

As for why this might be a thing: We can already dye our armor, clothing, costumes, and shields. Weapons are the only thing that we can’t. I personally feel it would be good continuity to do so.

Moving on to the next point:

A Transmogrification/Transmutation System:

In the first place, what does Transmogrification mean in the context of an MMORPG? Well, Transmogrification is the system by which the game allows a player to swap the appearance of a certain item (albeit with some limitations and within reason) to that of another.

This thought occurs to me as a roleplayer, rather than simply as one who enjoys the game’s content. So, in all honesty, I don’t imagine this will affect the PvE/PvP crowd much, but it may also benefit them. Because who doesn’t want to look good while running dungeons and trials and smacking around your enemy Alliance, right?

I don’t mean to make comparison, but a number of MMORPGs (and I do understand that Matt Firor has made the distinction that ESO is an RPG, plain and simple) are already making use of transmogrification systems.

Some in the form of:
• Costume tabs where you can set an outfit out of collected appearances once unlocked;
• An NPC who can change the appearance of a worn item for in-game currency (i.e. gold);
• An item in the hands of the player that can be used to transmute the appearance of a worn item to one you have already collected;
• And then some.

If this idea is at all feasible, I would like to suggest that this be added to the game. How this might be done, I can only guess as your development teams are the experts on the matter. However, I can certainly provide examples, some of which include:

• Make a ‘Convert to Another Motif’ function, not unlike those afforded by Digital Imperial Edition players who get the option to Convert to Imperial Style;
• Make it so that those who have certain motifs unlocked can simply change their items to look like another by using the crafting stations, with a style material (and another material cost, if your developers deem it fit) as the reagent;
• On that same vein, it does not impede any mechanics in the game and allows for crafting to remain relevant as some motifs require that you have raised a crafting skill passive to Rank 10, which requires that you max out the crafting line, anyway.

I predict that it will at least allow players a level of freedom to express themselves in that they want to play content in the game, thus needing to make use of certain set items out in the world. However, they might not approve of the appearance of these items and would prefer that they looked like something else. In a game like ESO, that boasts a wide array of racial motifs, I feel that it would make sense to allow a player to diversify their ensemble as they see fit.

With that, I feel Transmogrification could enhance the game, rather than impede or hamper it. I’d like to believe that I speak on behalf of many players when I say that adventurers like to look impressive while delving dungeons and facing down the dastardly denizens of the dark.

On to my last point:

Trait Rerolling on Crafted, Dropped Gear:
(Set or Otherwise)

For this note, I would first like to firmly say that ZOS gave the players much freedom and power in the form of allowing us to upgrade our gear, even up to the Epic and Legendary levels through the use of Tempers.

I daresay that being able to reroll traits on gear should be a small issue, if it would ever become one at all.

Let me give you an example:

Say you’ve been farming a particular dungeon, and the item you wanted finally dropped to complete your set. Only one problem: the trait is Well-Fitted or Prosperous, rather than Divine that you were looking for. Even a minute detail like that can be frustrating for anyone.

With that said, I propose being able to reroll traits on items.

How can it be done? Again, I’m no expert on the matter; I leave that to the developers at ZOS. However, I can again provide an example and suggestion:

• Through crafting, with one catch being you must have that trait you want to add researched before you are able to reroll the said trait onto the item in question;
• and you must have a trait material;
• Another is the same suggestion, only that you need to have both the trait you want to add and the trait already on the item before you can reroll it.

With a system like this in place, I feel that it does not impede the game’s content and relevance of gear from dungeons and the world itself. In fact, I feel that it simply hopes to mitigate the level of frustration a player might feel when they find a set piece they need, but has a trait different than the one they were looking for and hoping on. One will still need to farm and conquer these dungeons, but you won’t need to break your back looking for an item with a specific trait anymore.

You only need to reroll the trait and you're good to go.

In any case, I think I’ve rambled on long enough. I leave this thread in the hands of my fellow players and see what they have to say on the matter. If you have anything you'd like to clarify or add, please feel free. This thread is for open discussion.

Whatever you think, whatever you feel – let’s be heard!

Thank you very much, guys! [T]7
Edited by TheBastion on October 21, 2016 2:32PM
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just from reading the title and nothing else I can say I agree with you. All 3 of those suggestions are things that this game needs and I hope they will be implemented at some point!
  • TheBastion
    TheBastion
    ✭✭✭
    KaiVox22 wrote: »
    Just from reading the title and nothing else I can say I agree with you. All 3 of those suggestions are things that this game needs and I hope they will be implemented at some point!

Thanks for the vote of confidence; reading it isn't a bad thing either way, though :wink:
  • MetSnau
    MetSnau
    ✭✭
    I agree with your suggestions, I think the game could benefit quite a lot from them.
    TheBastion wrote: »

I feel specifically that this game needs a better appearance system badly if they're wanting to do things like sell crown-only motifs. One of the best appearance gear systems I have seen was essentially another tab of equipped gear that overwrote the appearance of the actually equipped gear. This made mixing and matching extremely simple, and I think that game even had it set up to disable if PvP content was entered.

• TheBastion
    TheBastion
    ✭✭✭
    MetSnau wrote: »
    I agree with your suggestions, I think the game could benefit quite a lot from them.

I feel specifically that this game needs a better appearance system badly if they're wanting to do things like sell crown-only motifs. One of the best appearance gear systems I have seen was essentially another tab of equipped gear that overwrote the appearance of the actually equipped gear. This made mixing and matching extremely simple, and I think that game even had it set up to disable if PvP content was entered.

Whichever way they go, I think we can all agree that a Transmogrification system would help enhance the game by way of on-demand aesthetics, for roleplayer or content-adventurer alike.
    Edited by TheBastion on October 21, 2016 5:36PM
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the outfit system in LOTRO had it right

Your character sheet had one tab for the gear that was equipped. This is where all your armor and bonuses applied from it resides.

Then there were multiple outfit tabs available and you could wear one outfit at any given time. You basically took any piece of gear you liked the look of and put it into the outfit tab. Rather than slot the gear, it just copied the appearance. You could then move the actual gear out of your inventory into a bank/another toon or player/delete it/whatever. Then that copy of the gear in your inventory tab could be dyed with whatever dyes you had.

This allowed you to mix and match any pieces of armor or cosmetic items you had into some really nice and unique costumes.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am for being able to remove traits as some sort of master crafter ability. Perhaps each craft could have advanced quest lines to unlock other skills??? Like trait removal, jewelry, etc. EQ2 did something like that and it reenergizes a crafting community that had been maxed out and stagnant for years.
    Thasi - V16 Magblade Vampire PC/NA
  • emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always hated the transmog of WOW but for most it is all they can relate to. EQ2 had an appearance slot for all equipment items that overroad just that, appearance.
    Thasi - V16 Magblade Vampire PC/NA
  • jeremiah911
    jeremiah911
    ✭✭✭
    #1 - No objections with weapon dyeing. I personally don't care for it, but I'm sure others do so I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be implemented.

#2 - I couldn't agree more. ESO is in desperate need of a transmog system / update to their gear aesthetics. You don't have to be a RPer to care about your characters appearance so I think a lot of players, no matter how big or small, care about their characters appearance.

#3 - I would absolutely love this implementation with one cheviot; to re trait an item you have to be a Master Crafter (all traits researched) and once you re trait an item, it is now BoP. At some point MMO's / RPG (however ZOS would like to classify ESO) will realize that players quit games or rage because they don't get the item they were looking for. Look at the RNG affect in all the vMA threads. Anyways, I don't mean to get side tracked, but item #3 would be a huge positive addition to ESO.
    Edited by jeremiah911 on October 21, 2016 6:11PM
  • TheBastion
    TheBastion
    ✭✭✭
    #1 - No objections with weapon dyeing. I personally don't care for it, but I'm sure others do so I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be implemented.

#2 - I couldn't agree more. ESO is in desperate need of a transmog system / update to their gear aesthetics. You don't have to be a RPer to care about your characters appearance so I think a lot of players, no matter how big or small, care about their characters appearance.

#3 - I would absolutely love this implementation with one cheviot; to re trait an item you have to be a Master Crafter (all traits researched) and once you re trait an item, it is now BoP. At some point MMO's / RPG (however ZOS would like to classify ESO) will realize that players quit games or rage because they don't get the item they were looking for. Look at the RNG affect in all the vMA threads. Anyways, I don't mean to get side tracked, but item #3 would be a huge positive addition to ESO.

Nothing more to add to this. You brought up a lot of good points, sir. [T]7
  • SanderBuraas
    SanderBuraas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see someone write up suggestions in a proper fashion. I support all of them. They would greatly improve the game, and rerolling would rid of the current trait frustration.
  • TheBastion
    TheBastion
    ✭✭✭
    Smepic wrote: »
    Nice to see someone write up suggestions in a proper fashion. I support all of them. They would greatly improve the game, and rerolling would rid of the current trait frustration.

Good to see that I'm not the only one who noticed the current trend of frustration regarding traits.

What about all you others? Let your voice be heard!
  • phreatophile
    phreatophile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1.) Weapon Dye: Yes!

2.) Transmog: Oh, Hell yes!

3.) Retrait: Please, by the Divines, save us from this misery, Yes!!
  • Ubung
    Ubung
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with all your points especially the transmogrify option. While they are doing that I hope they give us the option to have two shoulders showing on the monster set shoulders.
  • GhostwalkerLD
    GhostwalkerLD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings again, ZOS!

All told, it’s been roughly a year (give or take a few months) since I drafted up my last Player Suggestion. Given that, as of One Tamriel’s launch, most of what I suggested was put in-game – even if by sheer coincidence. Because of this, I cannot help but feel a strong sense of hope that your team reads these suggestion threads and relays them to the development team to see where they might fit, if even feasible to do so.

With that said, in the spirit of civil discussion and being able to suggest things using the proper channels, I would like to put forth another slew of suggestions your way to see if they are at all feasible to integrate into the game.

This suggestion comes in three main parts:

Weapon Gilding (Weapon Dye)
    A Transmogrification/Transmutation System
    Trait Rerolling on Crafted, Dropped Gear (Set or Otherwise)

First off, let’s start with the most basic:

Weapon Gilding:
    (or allowing players to dye their weaponry)

What is Weapon Gilding—or the term Gilding, in general?

Gilding is a term in metallurgy and blacksmithing which relates to using any particular soft metal (i.e. gold, copper, bronze, brass) to ‘color’ another metal object by way of using crushed granules of the soft metal and applying it to the surface of the metal object they'd like to color, and then heating it for the ‘essence’ of those soft metal granules to stick to it.

In contemporary settings, some blacksmiths (like those in Man-At-Arms: Reforged, to those who are familiar) use a brass wire-wheel as an example to apply a brassy color to their otherwise plain steel creations.

Another method in blacksmithing is applying black oxide to a metal to give it a darker grey, perhaps even black color.

While yet another way is simply heating a metal to a certain temperature until they retain a color different from the plain white-grey of steel.

What does this all mean? Simply, weapon dyeing is not impossible. I’m not particularly sure at this point if this is in the works with your development team. If it is, then it’s all well and good and this can certainly be ignored as being a redundancy. If not, I’ve simply given some ways for it to be done without having to break the lore of the game – which I understand is very dear to most if not all of us.

A last thing on this subject, I understand that the reason why ZOS didn’t want to entertain the idea of dyeing weapons: it’s because you don’t want players running around using hot pink blades, swords, hammers and the like.

But for that, I offer a counter-argument: With the addition of VR16's Rubedite and Ruby Ash, players are already running around with bright red metal and wood, so I – in civil fashion – would like to call that argument out, as you sort of shot yourself in the foot with that. (It's all good, though. :smile: )

As for why this might be a thing: We can already dye our armor, clothing, costumes, and shields. Weapons are the only thing that we can’t. I personally feel it would be good continuity to do so.

Moving on to the next point:

In the first place, what does Transmogrification mean in the context of an MMORPG? Well, Transmogrification is the system by which the game allows a player to swap the appearance of a certain item (albeit with some limitations and within reason) to that of another.

This thought occurs to me as a roleplayer, rather than simply as one who enjoys the game’s content. So, in all honesty, I don’t imagine this will affect the PvE/PvP crowd much, but it may also benefit them. Because who doesn’t want to look good while running dungeons and trials and smacking around your enemy Alliance, right?

I don’t mean to make comparison, but a number of MMORPGs (and I do understand that Matt Firor has made the distinction that ESO is an RPG, plain and simple) are already making use of transmogrification systems.

Some in the form of:
    • Costume tabs where you can set an outfit out of collected appearances once unlocked;
    • An NPC who can change the appearance of a worn item for in-game currency (i.e. gold);
    • An item in the hands of the player that can be used to transmute the appearance of a worn item to one you have already collected;
    • And then some.

If this idea is at all feasible, I would like to suggest that this be added to the game. How this might be done, I can only guess as your development teams are the experts on the matter. However, I can certainly provide examples, some of which include:

• Make a ‘Convert to Another Motif’ function, not unlike those afforded by Digital Imperial Edition players who get the option to Convert to Imperial Style;
    • Make it so that those who have certain motifs unlocked can simply change their items to look like another by using the crafting stations, with a style material (and another material cost, if your developers deem it fit) as the reagent;
    • On that same vein, it does not impede any mechanics in the game and allows for crafting to remain relevant as some motifs require that you have raised a crafting skill passive to Rank 10, which requires that you max out the crafting line, anyway.

I predict that it will at least allow players a level of freedom to express themselves in that they want to play content in the game, thus needing to make use of certain set items out in the world. However, they might not approve of the appearance of these items and would prefer that they looked like something else. In a game like ESO, that boasts a wide array of racial motifs, I feel that it would make sense to allow a player to diversify their ensemble as they see fit.

With that, I feel Transmogrification could enhance the game, rather than impede or hamper it. I’d like to believe that I speak on behalf of many players when I say that adventurers like to look impressive while delving dungeons and facing down the dastardly denizens of the dark.

On to my last point:

Trait Rerolling on Crafted, Dropped Gear:
    (Set or Otherwise)

For this note, I would first like to firmly say that ZOS gave the players much freedom and power in the form of allowing us to upgrade our gear, even up to the Epic and Legendary levels through the use of Tempers.

I daresay that being able to reroll traits on gear should be a small issue, if it would ever become one at all.

Let me give you an example:

Say you’ve been farming a particular dungeon, and the item you wanted finally dropped to complete your set. Only one problem: the trait is Well-Fitted or Prosperous, rather than Divine that you were looking for. Even a minute detail like that can be frustrating for anyone.

With that said, I propose being able to reroll traits on items.

How can it be done? Again, I’m no expert on the matter; I leave that to the developers at ZOS. However, I can again provide an example and suggestion:

• Through crafting, with one catch being you must have that trait you want to add researched before you are able to reroll the said trait onto the item in question;
    • and you must have a trait material;
    • Another is the same suggestion, only that you need to have both the trait you want to add and the trait already on the item before you can reroll it.

With a system like this in place, I feel that it does not impede the game’s content and relevance of gear from dungeons and the world itself. In fact, I feel that it simply hopes to mitigate the level of frustration a player might feel when they find a set piece they need, but has a trait different than the one they were looking for and hoping on. One will still need to farm and conquer these dungeons, but you won’t need to break your back looking for an item with a specific trait anymore.

You only need to reroll the trait and you're good to go.

In any case, I think I’ve rambled on long enough. I leave this thread in the hands of my fellow players and see what they have to say on the matter. If you have anything you'd like to clarify or add, please feel free. This thread is for open discussion.

Whatever you think, whatever you feel – let’s be heard!

Thank you very much, guys! [T]7

All excellent ideas, particularly the weapon gilding/dyeing! I also think the trait-rerolling would be a godsend, but I doubt the devs would implement it due to their forced-grinding component. I.e. forcing you to do the same content until RNG blesses you with the 'proper' trait that you want.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • TheBastion
    TheBastion
    ✭✭✭
    All excellent ideas, particularly the weapon gilding/dyeing! I also think the trait-rerolling would be a godsend, but I doubt the devs would implement it due to their forced-grinding component. I.e. forcing you to do the same content until RNG blesses you with the 'proper' trait that you want.

Yes, well. I feel that the fact that you have to deal with the random chance of your item dropping, including the fact that the piece of armor is in the armor type (Light, Medium, or Heavy) that you want is enough RNG for this scenario. Of course, I'm simply a player, not a developer. I wouldn't know how lucrative or profitable it is for people to be frustrated by minute details like a wrong trait on the right piece of gear they were looking for.
    Edited by TheBastion on October 22, 2016 4:59AM
  • SanderBuraas
    SanderBuraas
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, well. I feel that the fact that you have to deal with the random chance of your item dropping, including the fact that the piece of armor is in the armor type (Light, Medium, or Heavy) that you want is enough RNG for this scenario. Of course, I'm simply a player, not a developer. I wouldn't know how lucrative or profitable it is for people to be frustrated by minute details like a wrong trait on the right piece of gear they were looking for.

There definitely would be enough rng if rerolling was introduced. Then you would only have to worry about getting the right type of armour or weapon. Obtaining set pieces should not be unnecessarily time consuming.
  • Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weapon dye - meh, why not?
    Transmog - yes, please!
    Trait reroll - HELL NO!
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firat two, sure. Trait reroll? No. Just no. You can complete almoat all content just fine with full prosperous and a training staf. Want the best? Farm it
    Edited by notimetocare on October 22, 2016 9:23AM
  • thomas1970b16_ESO
    thomas1970b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    1.I agree.
    2. I do not agree.
    3. I do not agree.
  • Wolfshead
    Wolfshead
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree on both Weapon Gilding (Weapon Dye) and Trait Rerolling on Crafted, Dropped Gear (Set or Otherwise) but not on A Transmogrification/Transmutation System for i dont know about you but is all Costumes the same as transmogrification at least to me it is same i dont know what else you want to transmogrification to be honest consider that you can bascially craft all race styles + more if you get craft books so you can bascially gear Char as you want.
    If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled; for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity
  • bedlom
    bedlom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely need weapon dyeing.
    That and to be able to name my bound, crafted gear would be amazing.
  • LegendaryArcher
    LegendaryArcher
    ✭✭✭✭
    #3 - I would absolutely love this implementation with one cheviot; to re trait an item you have to be a Master Crafter (all traits researched) and once you re trait an item, it is now BoP.

Interesting suggestion, since I myself have 9 traits researched on all gear and weapons. However, out of curiosity I asked in my BDO guild (the one with 50+ ESO quitters and 30+ quitters just because of vMA RNG). It seems to be a very rare thing to have all 9 traits researched on a toon. Actually, from the 40 people online there, I was the only one with 9 traits everywhere on one toon. Most people that want to craft seem to "cheat" by researching different things on multiple toons at the same time.

I don't think it would be worth it for ZOS to implement that in order to reach the 2% of the vMA RNG victims. It takes about a year of active researching to get all traits. But maybe it would be a great incentive for trait research.

But hey, at least it would provide some light in the end of the tunnel. vMA has been out for a year now and many people still don't have their desired weapon. Researching traits for a year might be worth it.
    Edited by LegendaryArcher on October 22, 2016 10:45AM
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates
  • LaiTash
    LaiTash
    ✭✭✭
    > trait rerolling

Now that we have that insane 100% set item drop rates i can't disagree more.
  • zuto40
    zuto40
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1: how to solve lore problem- Magic blacksmithing ;)

2: Matt firor is an idiot if he believes this is an rpg, it is an mmorpg regardless of what he thinks in firor land and the mmo aspect MUST come first for the games survival, if a game as childish and neglected as pirate101 can change gear's look(costed crowns in that game tho) then why cant ESO? makes all the new motifs pointless since the best gear is dropped gear

3: not a big problem but it would stop people charging millions for a sharpened new weapon
    Stamblade- Legate
    Tank/Heals Templar- Sergeant
    Magic DK- Corporal
    Stam DK- Sergeant
    Stamplar- Corporal

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy8uqORxhlrMh8oz2230s9g
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One poser I would ask the OP.

Should there be a difference between client-side private gear and server-side public gear ?
    1. Is the idea for you to look good in your own eyes.
    2. Is the idea to obfuscate the actual gear you are wearing so it cant be identified by others.
    3. Is the idea to show off to everyone...which may or may not laugh at your design choice.
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • jeremiah911
    jeremiah911
    ✭✭✭
    Rune_Relic wrote: »

Should there be a difference between client-side private gear and server-side public gear ?
    2. Is the idea to obfuscate the actual gear you are wearing so it cant be identified by others.
    3. Is the idea to show off to everyone...which may or may not laugh at your design choice.

I'm not OP but here are my thoughts on your questions:

1. I believe this simply comes down to having opinions. Character customization is huge to a lot of people and this includes weapons.
    2. Transmog has to do with using the styles you like on the set pieces you want. I like VO set bonuses but I like the Order of the Hour style the most. Transmog would allow me to have the best of both worlds.
    3. Not really sure how this applies to changing traits but #3 allows improvement in two game areas:

Crafting - a lot of crafters, including myself, feel more needs to be done to improve crafting / rewarding / incentivizing master crafters. Trait changing for crafters with all 9 traits researched with the item becoming BoP does this. You still need to run content to get the gear so that's not trivialized. Lastly I'll say crafting furniture in the next update does nothing to make crafting more rewarding. I respect the RP community but I've never brought a crafted Ruby Ash chair into vMA or any other content for that matter.

RNG - how many more threads do we need to see about how bad RNG is? Yes, we would still need to run the content but trait changing would alleviate a lot of this. I will never agree with the player base that feels you need to grind content mindlessly over and over just to get the one specific item your looking for. That is artificial entertainment which is more frustrating than rewarding. Also, from my experience a lot of the people who say "go grind it, it's an MMO" either are operating on an outdated MMO concept or like to hold their RNG fortunes above everyone else.
    Edited by jeremiah911 on October 22, 2016 12:09PM
  • SanderBuraas
    SanderBuraas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1.I agree.
    2. I do not agree.
    3. I do not agree.

Provide reasoning, just like the original post does.
    LaiTash wrote: »
    > trait rerolling

One hundred percent item drop rates? Players have to do the same dungeon for eighteen hours just to get the correct weapon and trait. This is silly. Why should obtaining viable gear be such a massive waste of time?
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1.I agree.
    2. I do not agree.
    3. I do not agree.

> trait rerolling

One hundred percent item drop rates? Players have to do the same dungeon for eighteen hours just to get the correct weapon and trait. This is silly. Why should obtaining viable gear be such a massive waste of time?

Why should we have to get drops in the first place? They should put npcs that sell all drops for 100g

You fail to grasp the difference between viable amd best. Viable is me beating vmsa on my sorc with spriggan armor in all manner of trait.full perfect trait is what you want so easy
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rune_Relic wrote: »

I'm not OP but here are my thoughts on your questions:

1. I believe this simply comes down to having opinions. Character customization is huge to a lot of people and this includes weapons.
    2. Transmog has to do with using the styles you like on the set pieces you want. I like VO set bonuses but I like the Order of the Hour style the most. Transmog would allow me to have the best of both worlds.
    3. Not really sure how this applies to changing traits but #3 allows improvement in two game areas:

Crafting - a lot of crafters, including myself, feel more needs to be done to improve crafting / rewarding / incentivizing master crafters. Trait changing for crafters with all 9 traits researched with the item becoming BoP does this. You still need to run content to get the gear so that's not trivialized. Lastly I'll say crafting furniture in the next update does nothing to make crafting more rewarding. I respect the RP community but I've never brought a crafted Ruby Ash chair into vMA or any other content for that matter.

RNG - how many more threads do we need to see about how bad RNG is? Yes, we would still need to run the content but trait changing would alleviate a lot of this. I will never agree with the player base that feels you need to grind content mindlessly over and over just to get the one specific item your looking for. That is artificial entertainment which is more frustrating than rewarding. Also, from my experience a lot of the people who say "go grind it, it's an MMO" either are operating on an outdated MMO concept or like to hold their RNG fortunes above everyone else.

Ah I think you mistook my 3 points as being a reply to the OPs 3 points.
    They are unrelated.
    I was merely questioning....if style changes should be public (everyone sees them) or private (only you see them).
    We had a discussion which devolved into scimpy outfits at one time.
    Which begged the question.....if only you saw the changes...why does it matter ?
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • LaiTash
    LaiTash
    ✭✭✭
    1.I agree.
    2. I do not agree.
    3. I do not agree.

> trait rerolling

Use crafted gear, it's viable as hell. Yes, you must "waste" your time (if you think dungeon runs are waste of time then why even play this game?) to get the BiS gear. Otherwise, why can't we have /impulse9 slash command to just get all the BiS items instantly, no time wasted?

Right now i'm having a crafted tank gear and looted dd gear. The latter is absolute crap regarding traits, but know what? I'm doing fine. Of course i want something better, but i'm not going to cry over it and ask for insta win features like trait rerolling. Having a space for improvement is actually what keeps most people insterested in keeping playing.
    Edited by LaiTash on October 22, 2016 2:26PM