Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for Weapon Ultimates

• Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darlon wrote: »
    Did a small test (will do a bit more later, on more different targets and situations).

Target: Giant in wrothgar
    Character: template magicka sorc, no monster set (only 1 piece, didn't want any procs))
    Skills used: Power surge (for spell damage buff) + ultimate (shooting star and Fiery rage)

Made the screenshot after the ultimate was finished. I think I was a second to late with meteor.

1. Shooting star: slightly more damage over a bit longer duration, smaller AoE area.

lNRIYT2.png

2. Fiery rage: Damage is a lot closer to shooting star after 2.6.1. Damage is done in a shorter timespan.

L2C7giX.png

So this update was definitely an imrovement (difference was between skills was about 40k before the patch). Still meteor is cheaper (200 vs 250, 170 vs 213 for a sorc) and has better utility (bonus magicka when slotted etc). Destro ultimate is not quite there yet
    look at the crit chance between the 2, shooting star would be a lot stronger
    #MOREORBS
  • Rykmaar
    Rykmaar
    ✭✭✭
    Nifty2g wrote: »

Yup. Noticed that too.

ES is more than not quite there yet.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nifty2g wrote: »
    Darlon wrote: »
    Did a small test (will do a bit more later, on more different targets and situations).

Target: Giant in wrothgar
    Character: template magicka sorc, no monster set (only 1 piece, didn't want any procs))
    Skills used: Power surge (for spell damage buff) + ultimate (shooting star and Fiery rage)

Made the screenshot after the ultimate was finished. I think I was a second to late with meteor.

1. Shooting star: slightly more damage over a bit longer duration, smaller AoE area.

lNRIYT2.png

2. Fiery rage: Damage is a lot closer to shooting star after 2.6.1. Damage is done in a shorter timespan.

L2C7giX.png

So this update was definitely an imrovement (difference was between skills was about 40k before the patch). Still meteor is cheaper (200 vs 250, 170 vs 213 for a sorc) and has better utility (bonus magicka when slotted etc). Destro ultimate is not quite there yet

Agreed.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • SanTii.92
    SanTii.92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Decrease destro cost by 50, add that to the shield ult and we would have a very healthy weapon ultimates balance
    When the snows fall and the white winds blow,
    the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives.

Arg | Pc Na | Factionless Mag Warden.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why the least used weapon of all, destro, has the worst ultimate. The 2s wind up is ridiculous. Seriously 2h is better in every way without considering the windup...

Base skill needs to return resources, all of them, on each death. While it's wind up is still horrible, that at least makes the additional morphs much more enticing

As for the 2h ultimate itself, I don't use 2h so I'm not gonnna comment outside of the destro comparison.

Because ZoS does not think it's the worst ultimate.

And I bet their metrics do not show it as the least used weapon. In fact, I bet their metrics show it as the most commonly used weapon - it's not like magicka DPS are packing a resto staff.

It's crystal clear in light of the past year of patches/updates that ZoS thinks the Destro staff is in a good place. They are sadly mistaken, but that is nevertheless their belief.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why the least used weapon of all, destro, has the worst ultimate. The 2s wind up is ridiculous. Seriously 2h is better in every way without considering the windup...

Base skill needs to return resources, all of them, on each death. While it's wind up is still horrible, that at least makes the additional morphs much more enticing

As for the 2h ultimate itself, I don't use 2h so I'm not gonnna comment outside of the destro comparison.

And I bet their metrics do not show it as the least used weapon. In fact, I bet their metrics show it as the most commonly used weapon - it's not like magicka DPS are packing a resto staff.

It's crystal clear in light of the past year of patches/updates that ZoS thinks the Destro staff is in a good place. They are sadly mistaken, but that is nevertheless their belief.

And that's my children, is why you NEVER trust in statistics.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Rykmaar
    Rykmaar
    ✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »

I work in analytics (love my job). Analytics are a thing :)

They showed that they have stats on things, but if they can't dig down on those, the data is useless.

Like showing us that HA is used a lot is nice, but if you can't see what percentage of those are wearing Black Rose you may miss the mark in terms of confirming or disproving your hypothesis.

@Joy_Division

I'm really hoping that significant changes are coming in U13 as they claim will happen. Reporting deficiencies and providing feedback doesn't appear to work with things that don't match ZoS' own opinions.

If the changes aren't significant and useful, it'll unfortunately be my ticket out. Maybe sooner if the RNG boxes get really disgusting.
    Edited by Rykmaar on September 23, 2016 2:52PM
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rykmaar wrote: »

They showed that they have stats on things, but if they can't dig down on those, the data is useless.

Like showing us that HA is used a lot is nice, but if you can't see what percentage of those are wearing Black Rose you may miss the mark in terms of confirming or disproving your hypothesis.

Totally agree.
    With these "HA user" number, they need to analyze how many black rose, reaction and other are used, and how is the death/victory/time in combat these users have, and so many other data. 531cp player aren't just good player, they are only capped player. They aren't one and only one population, you need to take in account all the parameter and keep the relevant one.
    That's the difference between raw number and statistic science.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joy_Division

I'm really hoping that significant changes are coming in U13 as they claim will happen. Reporting deficiencies and providing feedback doesn't appear to work with things that don't match ZoS' own opinions.

If the changes aren't significant and useful, it'll unfortunately be my ticket out. Maybe sooner if the RNG boxes get really disgusting.

I'm actually a "half-full" type of person, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. The last balance update somehow managed to make the Eclipse ability even worse and those RNG crates are a huge waste of money and Zos should feel ashamed of ripping off their best customers who will buy them.
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the Destro I really think the elemental rage morph should be on the base skill, it would make the eye of the storm morph more viable for PvP and then it allows to redo the one morph and add a utility effect or buff/debuff for PvE, this will also justify the huge cost.

I mean you keep telling us there are 'ice, shock and fire' versions, but seen as all the skills are the same the elemental bonuses should apply anyway, not be a morph.

If I could have eye of the storm last a little longer while using a lightning staff I'd use it in PvP hands down, and if the other morph gave a buff/debuff or added some sort of utility I bet a lot of people would consider this in PvE too, meteor still outperforms this for the cost difference.

If people wanted to use the ultimate you wouldn't get all this 'I'm forced to use the destro' cause it would perform well, but I still think it's slightly lacking for the 250 cost, either that or drop it to 200.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @Wrobel @ZOS_RichLambert
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a destro staff user who has used nothing but destro staff, despite it being the worst weapon of them all (but no other choices), I will keep my Banner & Meteor ultimates any day.

Sorry but you done furbed up our ultimate. Destro staff is way too high cost, way too low damage, and offers nothing, nothing, nothing at all else, while my other ultimates have loads of other secondary effects.

Not only is it lackluster in damage, it's quite frankly also boring. At least using my other ultimates will give me synergies, CC effects, ult return, + to my damage dealt etc. Destro ult is grinding up that huge 250 ult to cast it, few seconds of damage and that's it. Boring, uninteresting, lackluster, unimaginative.

And the difference between the 3 staves is also almost not even visible. Lightning staff & inferno staff both give + damage, and lightning staff even gives more + damage than inferno ...

This isn't ready to go to live at all.
    Edited by Carbonised on September 23, 2016 6:20PM
  • sparafucilsarwb17_ESO
    sparafucilsarwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope the devs surprises us by making the destro ulti useful, I can't help but feel that magicka players are being shafted once again and it really saddens me.
  • Rykmaar
    Rykmaar
    ✭✭✭
    From the AMA yesterday:

"[–]ZOS_eWrobel 10 points 15 hours ago
    A key feature to the destruction staff ultimate that helps differentiate it is the huge area it affects. This is hard to see on the PTS since there isn't a lot of large scale pvp or dungeon running. We're definitely paying close attention to this ultimate and will buff it further if required.
    permalinksaveparentreportgive goldreply

[–]artfulalibiImperial 7 points 12 hours ago
    What is the point of a "large" aoe if the number of targets it can effect is capped?
    permalinksaveparentreportgive goldreply"

That actually makes me a little more disappointed.

Edited by Rykmaar on September 24, 2016 12:10PM
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the AMA yesterday:

A key feature to the destruction staff ultimate that helps differentiate it is the huge area it affects. This is hard to see on the PTS since there isn't a lot of large scale pvp or dungeon running. We're definitely paying close attention to this ultimate and will buff it further if required.

What is the point of a "large" aoe if the number of targets it can effect is capped?

Like i´ve written before - they´re overvalueing aoe radius by a ton.

What use is a large aoe radius if it does not kill stuff. It´s a spacing tool for 250 ultimate (which achieves spacing with pitiful dmg).
    On the other hand a banner provides almost the same area while healdebuffing. A negate provides freaking silence for double the duration. Veil and nova both buff the friendly players inside them.

The only version of the spell where wrobel is right is elemental rage on ice staff - and that one is harmful in pve because you want npcs to clump up together (which nullifies any large radius arguments again). Also ice staff is absolutely useless in pve anyway.

The problem is the freaking leadcombatdesigner really thinks any player is going to choose this giant pile of elemental poopoo over any ultimate because it has an additional 1 or 2 meters aoe radius.
    That´s freaking lunatic. That´s the same level of lunacy as if apple were to announce the iphone8 not only without headphone jack but without a display because siri is going to read out everything for you.
    How can any sane person in charge look at this and think it´s fine. How would anyone get the impression magica builds were in need of another aoe ultimate in the first place.
    Edited by Derra on September 24, 2016 12:53PM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody cares about its "large" area.
    It hast a 2 second summoning time. Nobody will be in the area anymore when this thing finally starts ticking.

And especially for dungeons... NOBODY is using a 250 cost ultimate that only deals damage, not even against trash mobs.
    Same goes for pvp. Neither Area of effect, nor damage is an excuse for this cost.
    There is nothing that Elemental storm has, that makes it any better than all these other low cost weapon ultimates with 150 max cost.

Elemental Storm can have the same cost. There's nothing wrong with that.
    I know exactly what all this is about. It's in the same boat as "we want firing off dark exchange during combat feel awesome"
    They want that " OMG he has reached 250 ultimate and now anihilation is raining from up above"

But this is simply not the case. :)
    Edited by Dracane on September 24, 2016 11:46PM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Rykmaar
    Rykmaar
    ✭✭✭
    It hast a 2 second summoning time. Nobody will be in the area anymore when this thing finally starts ticking.

And especially for dungeons... NOBODY is using a 250 cost ultimate that only deals damage, not even against trash mobs.
    Same goes for pvp. Neither Area of effect, nor damage is an excuse for this cost.
    There is nothing that Elemental storm has, that makes it any better than all these other low cost weapon ultimates with 150 max cost.

I know exactly what all this is about. It's in the same boat as "we want firing off dark exchange during combat feel awesome"
    They want that " OMG he has reached 250 ultimate and now anihilation is raining from up above"

Yeah, been saying that for weeks now.

The second that *** pops, a stam build is going to roll out, bar swap, and shoot you in the face with an arrow (or even better, use his cheaper, more damaging bow ulti).

In PvP and even in PvE, Meteor is significantly better.

Terrible design decision. Terrible.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The second that *** pops, a stam build is going to roll out, bar swap, and shoot you in the face with an arrow (or even better, use his cheaper, more damaging bow ulti).

Yep :neutral:
    We don't need to argue, that elemental rage is really the most useless ultimate every created for pvp. It truly is.
    Eye of the storm could be considerable, but not with 250 ultimate cost.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

We don't need to argue, that elemental rage is really the most useless ultimate every created for pvp. It truly is.

I don't get why ZOS is so stubborn on this one.

Nobody can be this stupid.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minalan wrote: »

Don't be so insulting Milan.
    I'd say, they are afraid or so. They don't want Destruction staff to be competive.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

But is it all that uncommon for one morph to be useful in pvp and the other not?

Every morph doesnt have to be pvp focused, right?

What i see here is the stationary morph is an area denial effect useful in defensive situstions or against pve opponents who will move into its area. Someone asked why have large area if there is a cap - for covering a larger area with spread out enemies. It wont be useful in pvp except in very rare circumstances but the damage yield is getting closer to worthwhile.

Then the mobile morph with a 2 seconds time to get in position has uses in both pvp and pve.

Its still not what i wanted.., dont need another ssck of damage imo, but having one morph thats better pve not useful pvp isnt to me a compelling criticism.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »

But is it all that uncommon for one morph to be useful in pvp and the other not?

What i see here is the stationary morph is an area denial effect useful in defensive situstions or against pve opponents who will move into its area. Someone asked why have large area if there is a cap - for covering a larger area with spread out enemies. It wont be useful in pvp except in very rare circumstances but the damage yield is getting closer to worthwhile.

Then the mobile morph with a 2 seconds time to get in position has uses in both pvp and pve.

Its still not what i wanted.., dont need another ssck of damage imo, but having one morph thats better pve not useful pvp isnt to me a compelling criticism.

I agree, doesn't bother me in the slightest if one morph is for PvE and the other for PvP because it would cater to both.

The main problem is the cost and lack of utility effects compared to other ultimates which when compared are better, in every way.

• Birdovic
    Birdovic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Im sure people preferred a useful burst Ult for the Staves instead. In PvE, the staves arent as bad as in PvP.
    And there are enough more useful AoE Abilities than the Destro one(which are even cheaper), its not unique in any way, the elemental Part is almost meaningless.
    Edited by Birdovic on September 25, 2016 5:04PM
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course. That's how it is with most abilities.
    I was just pointing out, that elemental rage is 100% useless in pvp and eye of the storm is weak as well, due to the cost.

While eye of the storm has the potential to be good for pvp, it's not with this foolish uptime.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I'd say, they are afraid or so. They don't want Destruction staff to be competive.

Please explain to me why an AOE staff ability deserves TWICE the cost of a stam AOE instant ability with a knockdown...

When they are BOTH limited to hitting six people with AOE caps...

• Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Please explain to me why an AOE staff ability deserves TWICE the cost of a stam AOE instant ability with a knockdown...

When they are BOTH limited to hitting six people with AOE caps...

I'm on your side. But no insults please :)
    I know this ability is unfair and not well thought through.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When i look at all the various types of effects that are present in the destro staff passives and see a big honkin' sack of damage ultimate.... i get bored.

I mean, whats wrong with any or all of these:
    While running, including build time, all heavy attacks not just fully charged proc the effects.
    While running, gain additional spell pen...
    While running, any kills from any source spawn magica return.
    etc etc etc

IMX the biggest diff between my magica destro staff guys and my other non-destro guys is most often not "base attack does lotsa damage" but the sustain gains from weaves and well timed kills , sustain gains from hvy attacks and yeah the spell pen helps too.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Rykmaar
    Rykmaar
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing this week on ultimates, folks. Guess we're stuck with them as they are now, unless they plan to change them next week some more.

Get ready for one ult that no one will use, and another three that everyone will use.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    according to the latest patch notes,we might as well consider what's on PTS to be finalized

itscompton wrote: »
    So can we assume weapon ultimate's have been finalized since no changes were made in this patch?

For the most part, yes. It's unlikely we'll be making any additional changes to the Weapon Ultimates, barring any outstanding bugs.

Edited by Mojmir on September 26, 2016 8:22PM
  • PS4_ZeColmeia
    PS4_ZeColmeia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the AMA yesterday:

Ahhhhhhh I get it, the magicka players that are out of stamina get hit and as they slowly shuffle out of the aoe zone my cap of players keeps changing as less are in AOE...

No, but seriously AOE caps again. At least if the elemental effect wasn't capped that would be something...
    PSN: ***___Chan (3 _s)
    Hybrid, All-Role NB
  • AegisWolf
    AegisWolf
    ✭✭
    Maybe change the bow ultimate from a pure damage skill to a Scatter Shot on steroids, knocking back target and all targets in a line, for 12 meters or so, and snaring them for a larger percentage the more enemies you hit. Call it Overdraw, one morph reducing poison mitigation, other one eliminates the user's casting movement speed reductions for a period of time proportional to number of targets hit.

As for the destro staff ultimate, have the morph that doesn't follow you simply be steerable at a slow speed, but any users caught in it take pretty severe damage and become rooted while in the storm. User should remain in targeting screen, and steer the storm for the duration, remaining mobile but at a lesser speed. (Just to clarify, storm shouldn't move as fast as user can move cursor, storm would move at it's own speed, in the direction of the cursor)
    Edited by AegisWolf on September 26, 2016 10:37PM