Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How do you PC people even play?

ArchMikem
ArchMikem
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
This is going to be a VERY dumb topic, but I'm genuinely curious as I have no experience at all with PC MMO gameplay.

How do you guys even play ESO on PC? Like, I noticed the abilities are cast using the number keys, so I'm assuming it's the keys above A, W, S, and D. But trying that myself as practice, trying to hit the keys imagining that I'm trying to move around and cast something just feels incredibly awkward on my hand. Do you literally make stuttering stop and go movements cause you're constantly taking your finger off the forward key to cast an ability? Or is this just a matter of do it enough and it becomes habit sort of thing?

As an Xbox One player it seems fairly simple to me as movement is on the left side of the controller using the left thumbstick and all the abilities are cast using the right hand buttons, so you can cast without worrying about your movement. Though I pre-emptively bought ESO through Steam when it was on-sale as a sort of safety net in-case something goes wrong with the Console, I just feel odd about the control layout difference.
CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I had the other issue when my account got transferred to xb1 took me awhile to get use to I still think keyboard is easy and better then controller
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    157876.jpg
  • Vanzen
    Vanzen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Logitech G13 + WoW steel series gaming mouse.
  • Mady
    Mady
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    razer-naga-molten-usp-2.png

o:)
    Edited by Mady on July 25, 2016 8:06AM
    Discord HypeSquad Member
    Official AlcastHQ Discord Server: discord.gg/alcasthq
    Feel free to join!
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daemonios wrote: »
    157876.jpg

That looks incredibly awkward as well actually. I'm not good with the 3x3 numpad, and Hell that mouse has a 3x4. O.o
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Jar_Ek
    Jar_Ek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Practice grasshopper
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    This is going to be a VERY dumb topic, but I'm genuinely curious as I have no experience at all with PC MMO gameplay.

How do you guys even play ESO on PC? Like, I noticed the abilities are cast using the number keys, so I'm assuming it's the keys above A, W, S, and D. But trying that myself as practice, trying to hit the keys imagining that I'm trying to move around and cast something just feels incredibly awkward on my hand. Do you literally make stuttering stop and go movements cause you're constantly taking your finger off the forward key to cast an ability? Or is this just a matter of do it enough and it becomes habit sort of thing?

As an Xbox One player it seems fairly simple to me as movement is on the left side of the controller using the left thumbstick and all the abilities are cast using the right hand buttons, so you can cast without worrying about your movement. Though I pre-emptively bought ESO through Steam when it was on-sale as a sort of safety net in-case something goes wrong with the Console, I just feel odd about the control layout difference.

mouse for direction. mouse buttons for standard attack and block.

i'm left handed so i have the arrow keys for movement and dodge and assigned all skills and pots etc to the number pad keys.

all activity can be done smoothly.
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At some point I tried this device (razer nostromo), and got hooked on using it for any game. It fits the left hand perfectly and has directional pad for your thumb as well as various trigger buttons and more than enough keys for all abilities, menus and add on functions

razer-nostromo-gallery-1.png
  • Wolfshead
    Wolfshead
    ✭✭✭✭
    157876.jpg

One of the best mouse on market atlest i think so i have one just like this + Logitech G510s those to with few macro work really good :)
    If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled; for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    That looks incredibly awkward as well actually. I'm not good with the 3x3 numpad, and Hell that mouse has a 3x4. O.o

There's nothing "awkward" about it. All 12 buttons go under your right thumb, which you aren't using when you're using a mouse in your right hand. I have all my skills + weapon swap + dodge roll on the mouse, while my clumsy left hand only does W/S/A/D and the occasional synergy/interaction. Takes a day to get used to it and I can play any of my 4 active characters and never miss a skill all while running around.
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's all about practice really, you can be really good with any controller setup given time.

Controllers or gaming mice are more efficient at pressing buttons than a traditional keyboard and mouse set up. Mice are easier to aim than the joysticks on a gaming controller though.
  • Vipstaakki
    Vipstaakki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh? Its rather easy to use WASD - keys while you use skills at the same time. You need to practice your fingers.
  • SanTii.92
    SanTii.92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At some point I tried this device (razer nostromo), and got hooked on using it for any game. It fits the left hand perfectly and has directional pad for your thumb as well as various trigger buttons and more than enough keys for all abilities, menus and add on functions

What on earth is that? Quite curious

Edit.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YGgMhf-oOvM
    Uhm, really interesting. Have you played Eso with it? Can you walk diagonally with the thumb or you got to use the keys? If so,do you have enough room for skills, quickslot, crouch, sprint, tab target?
    Edited by SanTii.92 on July 25, 2016 8:45AM
    When the snows fall and the white winds blow,
    the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives.

Arg | Pc Na | Factionless Mag Warden.
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wolfshead wrote: »
    157876.jpg

One of the best mouse on market atlest i think so i have one just like this + Logitech G510s those to with few macro work really good :)

Macros are against the TOS. I wouldn't go advertising it.
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    sAnn92 wrote: »

What on earth is that? Quite curious

It's called Razer Nostromo, intended for the left hand (placed to the left of your keyboard), and mouse is used with right hand.

When gaming on a laptop, it's not very convenient to use the laptop keys, since your mouse placement will usually be to the right of the laptop, so your left hand and shoulder would be off center if you use WASD on the laptop keyboard. Before discovering this nostromo device, I used bluetooth numpad with left hand for directional movement etc.
  • stevepdodson_ESO888
    stevepdodson_ESO888
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    all these pictures of the type of mouse people use that macro actions to the keys actually violate ZOS terms (if you read the small print) and is considered cheating...
    but so many people cheat on PC (cheat engine to farm vMA, gap closing exploits to enter Keeps, using one low-level char so everyone can run through Sanctum to farm gear that drops at their character level...the list goes on) and that is your answer to how they play
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    all these pictures of the type of mouse people use that macro actions to the keys actually violate ZOS terms (if you read the small print) and is considered cheating...
    but so many people cheat on PC (cheat engine to farm vMA, gap closing exploits to enter Keeps, using one low-level char so everyone can run through Sanctum to farm gear that drops at their character level...the list goes on) and that is your answer to how they play

You don't have to use macros with an MMO mouse. In fact, I don't see much point in doing so, as the benefits would be puny: at most you could macro sequences of skills, but then you have to take into account targeting (certain skills require you to aim at your target) and input lag (for animation cancelling, you can't just do it any time you want, certain skills need to actually go off before you use another skill or block cancel them) and changing conditions (if you chain a series of 3 or 4 skills and something happens that forces you to block or react in a way that's not macroed, the macro will only make your performance worse). In any case, I certainly don't use macros on my Logitech G600. I've also never downscaled vSO (and finished it at CP160) or vMoL (and finished it at CP160).

Nice job of generalizing the whole PC player base as cheaters. Now crawl back in your troll cave, would you?
    Edited by daemonios on July 25, 2016 8:56AM
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just use my PS4 controller and Logitech G13 for quick access to menu options and have a small wireless keyboard and Logitech 502 for menu navigation. I hate using the controller UI, so I opt for using DS4Tool and Xpadder to program the controller to work using the PC UI.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I started PC gaming I had no idea what I was doing. My boyfriend at the time had me try call of duty, and I ended up shooting the floor because the controls seemed so unnatural to me. I couldn't coordinate any of my movements! Then I began to play Minecraft and that's what taught me the controls. It's second nature now, it just takes getting used to as with all platforms. I was able to move on to RPG games, movements are smooth and I really enjoy it. I usually don't need to take my finger off the movement keys to cast abilities. Finger gymnastics! Any stuttering stop and go movements is from lag >:) I've never played RPG games on console, and I'm sure I would be just as awkward trying to play on console as you are on PC. It just takes time.
    PC/EU DC
  • Captain8504
    Captain8504
    ✭✭✭
    Or hell do like I do...get a program that binds keys to your ps3/4 or Xbox 360/one controller...there problem solved.
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just use a standard keyboard and a Logitech Performance MX mouse.. my hand is too big for all those fancy mouse shortcut buttons.. Practice makes perfect pal :)
  • paulmettersb16_ESO
    Logitech G13 and a razer naga mouse.

Logitech G13

W,S,A,D bound to the analog thumbstick on the G13

G1,G2,G3 weapon swap bar 1, bar 2

G8-G12=abilities, G13=ultimate, G14=quickslot

G15=jump

Razer Naga

side keys

1=mount
    7=Dodge roll
    8= Environment interact
    9=Player interact
    10=sprint
    11=crouch
    12=synergy

Only ever really use the keyboard for typing and commands that i don't really need to bind (character, journal etc)

I've used this set up for virtually every single mmo i've played. Fluid movement all the time, all major commands readily accesible.

When ESO first came out i used xpadder for an xbox controller just to see and found it cumbersome as hell. haven't tried controller support since as i couldn't imagine all the commands being available on a controller and i'm so used to the G13 and Naga i couldn't imagine using anything else.
  • CherryCake
    CherryCake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I played ff14, the skills were on number keys since I dont have a gaming mouse so from 1 to 0 if I remember correctly (long ago and I dont play on PC)...however I SUCK at moving my character around with a mouse, I am bad at gaming in general and with a mouse its almost impossible for me :'(
    I like sweetrolls and I cannot lie
  • Reykice
    Reykice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You move with wasd and put skills on eqrfcxz so they are close and even 123 and mouse. Eso doesn't have that many skills... with a good keyboard you can press as many keys as you want so no issues.

Plus Light Attack Weaving, most mice have a button next to left click, a small one, ifyou keep it pressed it does like many clicks per second so keep it pressed, use skills and you have perfect weaving. So easy and nice...

The other advantage are the addons and the better graphics.
    Edited by Reykice on July 25, 2016 9:52AM
  • BlackEar
    BlackEar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roechacca wrote: »

Macros are against the TOS. I wouldn't go advertising it.

Source? All I heard was it was a grey area and they have not explicitly told us it was forbidden.

J92M812.png
    Bjorn Blackbear - Master Angler - Collector - Black Market Mogul - Ebonheart Pact - Exterminatus - EU.

Achievement hunter:

Visit my profile page to find out about which achievement I am currently hunting.

Check out Anemonean's thieving guide!
  • Flaminir
    Flaminir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Razer Naga Hex FTW!!!

If you don't want 12-15 buttons to confuse you on the side then this is virtually tailor made for ESO!

6 buttons on the side... 5 abilities + Ultimate! :) (EDIT: Just noticed the new V2 version pictured below now has 7! :)

There is a button on top that your finger sits over which is then perfect for weapon swap as well. Then just use keyboard for movement basically.

Think of it as a more ergonomic and accurate version of a controller but for a PC.

Simples! :)

Rzr_NagaHexv2_RGB_V5.jpg
    Edited by Flaminir on July 25, 2016 9:54AM
    GM of the Unholy Legacy
    EU/EP
    Sorcerer Flaminir (Magicka) / Staminir (Stamina)
    Templar Elixiia (Magicka/Healer) / Lotti Velooni (Magicka)
    DragonKnight Xalora Flaminar (Tank) / Unholy-Dragon-Toad (Tank)
    Nightblade Aimee Owlious (Magicka) / Myttens (Stamina)
    Warden: Frosti-Tute (Magicka/Healer) Boops-Many-Snoots (Stamina/Tank)
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone who has grown up on consoles and moved to PC for ESO, it is incredibly awkward and uncomfortable until your hands get used to it. Then you develop weird ways to rotate your hand without lifting a finger from the key so you can reach other keys. But mostly I use my middle finger for w and pointer and ring to hit abilities while moving. Change which fingers do pressing depending on which direction.
    Runefang wrote: »
    It's all about practice really, you can be really good with any controller setup given time.

Controllers or gaming mice are more efficient at pressing buttons than a traditional keyboard and mouse set up. Mice are easier to aim than the joysticks on a gaming controller though.

Completely agree on this, but I need to add controllers are also better for movement. 360 degree movement with a full gradiant of speeds versus 8 directional movement and 2 speeds via toggle (walk/run).

Depending on how a game is built, wasd may be better for movement and/or joystick better for aiming. For example, games that require sharp, sudden movement or games with aim/target assist or lock on. Many console games (with 3rd person perspective) also relegate aiming to the left stick, attacking in the direction of movement. In these types of games it is a large disadvantage to use keyboard and mouse, just like it is a large disadvantage to play an FPS with a controller (without aim/target assist).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.
  • Bonzodog01
    Bonzodog01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On top of this, a lot of PC players actually use an XBox controller plugged into their PC through the USB port. There is support for this in the PC version.
    Xbox One - EU - EP/DC
    Trying and failing to hold the walls of his Templar house up since 2015
  • KenaPKK
    KenaPKK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I use a Naga Hex and am a complete potato without it.

One of the best PvPers I know uses default keyboard commands for everything, and it completely baffles me.
    Kena
    Former Class Rep
    Former Legend GM
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I play with a 12+ side button mouse, however I only take advantage of those buttons and macros when I grind, because I get tired in my fingers from pressing the 1, 2 , 3, 4 and 5 button on my keyboard..

For all other content I just press button 1-5 for skills, R for ultimate, SPACE for jumping, CTRL for sneaking, Q for potion, X for actiating synergies and WASD for moving around.

It's pretty easy and much more accurate and faster than using a controller, once you get the hang of it. I love controllers though, for turning direction smoothly, it looks better :p but I don't use them in this game.