Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

How do you PC people even play?

• nordsavage
    nordsavage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been a console player for many years but I switched to PC during the ESO beta waiting for console release. I ended up staying on PC. It takes a while for keyboard action to become reflex and for your hand muscles to reshape so you do not fatigue as fast but just like a controller it becomes instinct and muscle memory. I personally spit the difference and use a Logitec Trackball M570 mouse. It feels natural to roll my thumb and I seem to be able to turn varying directions to react faster than many. It has left, right, clickable wheel and two more index finger buttons that I use for weapon swap and ultimate. I use the WASD and 1-5 buttons for abilities. While there is nothing wrong with consoles I have found many advantages to using a keyboard in a game like this. I still use an Xbox controller for shooters and most other games.

By the way controllers are very much functional for PC as well and I will throw one on for node farming and fishing.
    I didn't choose tank life, tank life chose me.
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's actually pretty easy if you set your skills up correctly.

For example having your spammable on key 2 would be awkward as hell while trying to move around, so I usually put a skill which I only have to recast every so often (trap beast for example) and put my spammable on Key 4.

Then again this is coming from a guy who spent 5 years playing traditional MMO's with a laptop trackpad...
    Edited by Voxicity on July 25, 2016 10:26AM
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like the look of that Naga Hex :smile: Problem is that Razer makes their stuff pretty small :smile:
  • sparafucilsarwb17_ESO
    sparafucilsarwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Steel Series Merc Stealth keyboard with Logitech G502 mouse. Works great.
  • mildlylucid
    mildlylucid
    ✭✭✭
    I just use an ordinary keyboard and mouse (got them for free some time back :D).

I generally run sideways when hitting abilities but that's mainly because I'm circling whatever I'm hitting.
    I also thumb spam X to get them synergies.

Personally I really can't fathom how you could accurately target anything on a console.... Playing ratchet & clank back in the day I only used the omniwrench because I didn't need to care about which way my guy was facing too much ;)
    Another day, another deathtrap.
    PC | NA | CP: 690+
    Main: Littlewill (50) - Khajiit Dragonknight Tank
    Alts:
    Bajzhli-do (50) - Khajiit Stamina Dragonknight DPS
    Tlanir Dro'flayn (23) - Dunmer Magicka Nightblade DPS
    Morgayne Dalodrel (21) - Breton Magicka Templar Healer
    Tumande Stormwatch (20) - Altmer Magicka Sorcerer DPS
    Tamdril Merilyn (5) - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight DPS
    Bjorngrim Ingensen (5) - Nord Warden Tank
    Gwynereth Bonecrusher (4) - Bosmer Stamina Warden DPS
  • RDMyers65b14_ESO
    RDMyers65b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, as someone who has used a PC exclusively for gaming since 1984, I have a similar question about how anyone can use a controller. Don't you find it very limited? We are are used to what we know.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, as someone who has used a PC exclusively for gaming since 1984, I have a similar question about how anyone can use a controller. Don't you find it very limited? We are are used to what we know.

It is actually limited yeah. It feels like having the right and left bumpers AND triggers in addition to the traditional four colored buttons was a god send to developers. lol Although having the Swap Weapon Bar action linked to the right directional pad is my only complaint since I have to either use my left thumb to do it, thus sacrificing my movement for crucial seconds, or my right which takes my view off whatever I'm fighting if I'm still moving around. So then I have to swap weapons and then reposition again.

I REALLY want to try ESO on PC, but I have four characters on Xbox I don't want to give up on/neglect. I really wish ZOS allowed more cross platform transfers.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • The Uninvited
    The Uninvited
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have large hands, no problems. :D
    Pandora's Promise (rip) | LND | Pactriotic | IKnowWhatUDidLastWinter's | The Uninvited |

Ride the paranoia | All life is pain | Only the grave is real
  • Sylveria_Relden
    Sylveria_Relden
    ✭✭✭✭
    I usually ask the same question of anyone who plays with controllers- I suppose it depends on what you're used to.

I started playing video games with the Atari (original) and analog single button joystick, but when PC's with keyboards and mice came along, I learned how to navigate with them and got used to them rather quickly. Over the years, consoles have evolved dramatically, and so have controllers. PC's have the advantage of using controllers or the standard keyboard and mouse. Personally, I think the K&M has more precision and control available- and it also depends on the game. If it's programmed as a "port" then controllers will seem more natural, but if it's programmed natively keyboards and mice will seem more natural.

Usually you use the mouse as your "look" (mouselook) or view, and the keyboard as your directional "steering" or movement (traditionally WSAD) along with direct input functions (numbers 1-0 for actions/skills) etc.

I've tried using a controller for FPS games, for example- and I cannot aim as precisely as I can with a mouse. Again, it all depends on what you're used to, and higher end equipment provides better/more accurate response.
    TL;DR - If you got this far without reading the entire post you're either too lazy or suck at reading comprehension and probably don't belong in a public forum anyway. Just move along, you wouldn't understand.
  • Seri
    Seri
    ✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    How do you guys even play ESO on PC? Like, I noticed the abilities are cast using the number keys, so I'm assuming it's the keys above A, W, S, and D. But trying that myself as practice, trying to hit the keys imagining that I'm trying to move around and cast something just feels incredibly awkward on my hand.
    Practice mostly. I use different fingers for the same buttons, depending which combination I want pressed at once. Conversely I have no idea how anyone plays an RPG type game with a gamepad either - I find it the most clunky input method possible :tongue:
    BlackEar wrote: »
    Roechacca wrote: »

Macros are against the TOS. I wouldn't go advertising it.

Source? All I heard was it was a grey area and they have not explicitly told us it was forbidden.

J92M812.png

What does that have to do with macro's? It doesn't take a macro to left click and then immediately press any 1-5 key to start a skill, and then right click to block.
    Edited by Seri on July 25, 2016 11:36AM
    EP CP160+ Templar, Sorc, NB
    DC CP160+ Templar, Sorc, DK
  • Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Only got 2 side buttons for my mouse, corresponding to abilities 4 & 5. Using a standard EU keyboard, so QZSD for movement, A for quickslot, R for ultimates, W for swapping, left alt for dodge rollz.

And, well, for ESO a controller is fine, but good luck playing some MMOs with a controller, when you got 50+ abilities, and need a combination of 1, 2, 3, 4... with Ctrl, alt, Ctrl + alt, caps, etc.

Mostly a matter of getting used to it and finding a comfortable position.

__

On a side node @BlackEar , what linked is relevant to animation cancelling, not macros. As mentioned, AC is allowed, macros are not.
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
  • Reykice
    Reykice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seri wrote: »
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    How do you guys even play ESO on PC? Like, I noticed the abilities are cast using the number keys, so I'm assuming it's the keys above A, W, S, and D. But trying that myself as practice, trying to hit the keys imagining that I'm trying to move around and cast something just feels incredibly awkward on my hand.
    Practice mostly. I use different fingers for the same buttons, depending which combination I want pressed at once. Conversely I have no idea how anyone plays an RPG type game with a gamepad either - I find it the most clunky input method possible :tongue:

Source? All I heard was it was a grey area and they have not explicitly told us it was forbidden.

J92M812.png

What does that have to do with macro's? It doesn't take a macro to left click and then immediately press any 1-5 key to start a skill, and then right click to block.

Even the mice that allow stuff like multiple clicks so you weave easier do just that, make it easier so you don't have to get tired as fast... anyone can do that with no special anything its just more clicks so you get tired faster.
  • drakhan2002_ESO
    drakhan2002_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use what the other PC gamers have already pointed out...I use a Razer Naga Elite and a Razer Nostromo; using this combination is more like being a fighter pilot with all the commands at my fingertips. I can play more efficiently and I have more options available to me than the console controller by far.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

J92M812.png

That is about animation canceling, not macros.

You can animation cancel, but cannot use macros to do It. Comments from ZOS in the forums. Not hard to find, but on my phone right npw.

More to the topic, I use a G13 and a G600 mouse. No macros. On key, one action.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC players are not different from us console players on this topic.

We look at the mouse and keyboard and think about how tough it probably is to play ESO like that. They look at our controllers and think there is no way it'll work.

Both work perfectly fine. PC has more buttons to assign. That's honestly it.
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With an air of smugness.

:trollface:
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
  • Psyonico
    Psyonico
    ✭✭✭
    Since MMOs were originally created for PCs, the real question is, how do you play on a console?
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    like anything, you get good at it as you practice

i can say the exact same thing for playing with a controller; i'm bloody awful at it, and it feels so clunky and limiting
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Logitech G13 Advanced Gameboard

Now THIS looks interesting :smile:
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I use an XBox One controller, with chatpad and 2 paddles on back that can be mapped to any of the normal controller buttons....

Nl7uktF.jpg

The "A" button is Jump/Interact just like on Xbox... I tried just moving that to jump for awhile, which is why it's listed that way, but I couldn't stop jumping like a fool every 3 seconds trying to interact so it got changed back.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a multi button mouse similar to the one posted on the first page. Others use something like an Orb Weaver. I do know some solid players that just use the keyboard.

It varies. Personally, I have wondered how someone plays on Console with just a gamepad.
  • Smasherx74
    Smasherx74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just use a xbox 1 controller.
    Master Debater
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how it is on XB1, but on ps4 you have to either stop moving or take your right hand and push the button all the way on the other side of the controller just to change weapons. That's extremely awkward to me.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can say I use an easy combination on my budget Trust keyboard.
    MprNTID.jpg

In the right hand a simple budget cable mouse with 2 buttons and roll ball, nothing fancy :).
    elv_13506-500x500.jpg
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • EternalEther
    At some point I tried this device (razer nostromo), and got hooked on using it for any game. It fits the left hand perfectly and has directional pad for your thumb as well as various trigger buttons and more than enough keys for all abilities, menus and add on functions

razer-nostromo-gallery-1.png

Borrowing this from my roommate is the only way I am able to play. Growing up I only played console games so I had no experience with WASD movement. When I tried WoW 12 years ago (man I'm old) I could only do it by resting my left fingers on 1234 and using the mouse to move. In WoW and many other MMOs you can hold left and right mouse buttons to move forwards and steer with the mouse. With light and heavy attacks this is not possible in ESO. Luckily my roommate bought this and hated it so now I get to use it.

As the OP mentioned, I think I'd be stopping and stuttering if I tried to use a keyboard. That being said I can imagine using a controller to play this game.
  • Scamandros
    Scamandros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find console controllers to be really weird. I use mostly standard setup for keyboard, with some practice with rotating your hand it feels easy to maintain movement and use keys 1-5. I have target enemy and weapon swap keybinds inversed because it simply feels more natural to me. Have a cheap mouse with some extra buttons, but only have them set for push to talk and roll dodge as double tapping movement is rarely reactive enough.
    Aeryj
    Fantasia
    Blades of Vengeance

Mighty Eagle by serjustin19 for your viewing convenience.
    Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle.
    I fell out of my nest

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I screech I screech
    but no one hears me

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I started to wonder off
    I want to come back but lost my way.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I came face to face
    Of Mighty Lion

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I came to fall in love with Mighty Lion
    Who's claws is sharp and just

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Then suddenly
    Mighty Dragon Came

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Dragon roared aloud
    Who's mighty paws make earthquake
    that quivers underneath our feet

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Soon battle rages
    Between the Mighty Lion and Mighty Dragon

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    My heart grows heavy
    For who do I belong in Scourge PS4 EU

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I continue to battle.
    But Battle I must do within myself

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I screech, I screech
    Long and hard. I made a fuss

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Then suddenly
    As if I was dreaming

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I heard a screech
    But suddenly, I attack Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle had to defend

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I know I was fighting for Mighty Lion
    So I fought back.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I attack I attack
    But to no avail

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    The Mighty claws who's mighty claws
    Felt unnatural to me and very clumsy to me

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Why I have chosen to not stay with you
    I do not know. I am complicated at that.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I have destroyed Mighty Eagle
    My own kin in Scourge PS4 EU

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I crawled into a ball
    Weep to no avail

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Lost in my whirling thoughts
    My heart and mind is clouded

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I have served Mighty Lion over a year
    I thought Mighty Lion is were I belong anew

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I finally contacted
    Mighty Eagle

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle says they love me
    In reality I love them also.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I continued to clash
    At Mighty Eagle however

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    But clashing with Mighty Eagle
    Just not feel right

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I have made a wrong choice I now believe
    Terrible and unjust of what I did

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    For am I not a monster
    For attacking a faction who loves me instead

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I was wrong
    Mighty Eagle was right

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Come. Please take me back Mighty Eagle
    For I believe I now know

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Were I truly belong
    For indeed I thought

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    That Mighty Lion
    Is were I belong.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    O how I was so wrong Mighty Eagle
    I was gravely wrong and such a fool I was.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    You have met
    Princess Justine

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Princess Justine who attacked
    Mighty Eagle

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I know this was wrong
    And so to does Princess Justine

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    With our clashing together
    I now know were I truly belong in Scourge PS4 EU I believe.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Have you all not heard
    The famous saying. That is very wise and so very true?

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Let me repeat the famous saying
    that is very wise and so true

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    It is
    My Enemy, Enemy's, Enemy's
    Is my friend

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I come to thee Mighty Eagle
    And so to Princess Justine.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Who used to serve Mighty Lion
    But Now serve Mighty Eagle
    For the very first time in her career.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Princess Justine and are one in the same
    Were I go. She will go to. For she believes it is right choice

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    We are all yours
    O Mighty Eagle

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    No one else but you
    I feel peaceful. Unafraid

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I belong to you O mighty Eagle
    I am so relieved to hear myself to say that

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Princess Justine and I

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Now flies and fights alongside with Mighty Eagle
    Who's Mighty talons stand for sacred Freedom

Written by Serjustin19
    Written on this day
    September 27. The day when My troubled mind is not clouded no longer.
    In the year of my troubles end
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the keyboard for movement and one or two commands like sheathe/unsheathe and auto-run, and an old Logitech mouse (4 buttons plus wheel but I only use 2 plus the wheel routinely, plus the third button for activating synergies). I don't PvP or do competitive PvE so the mouse is fine for me so far as hotbar skills are concerned, I never use shortcut keys for those in any game.
    Edited by Tandor on July 25, 2016 2:15PM
  • missjackieb14_ESO
    missjackieb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Being someone who's played MMO's on the PC for the past 12 years, one gets used to playing on the PC rather than a console. I can't imagine playing ESO on XBox or Playstation. Dear lord, I'd be throwing that thing against the wall.
  • Etaniel
    Etaniel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't even know why people bother with a mmo mouse on eso, you only get 6 spells at once....
    I had about 4 times that many keys when I played wow, and I've always played everything on keyboard (quickslot and dodge on mouse > deathadder)

When you work on a pc and play on a pc, your hands get used to the keyboard, and it offers much more possibilities than a controller
    Noricum | Kitesquad

Youtube

AR 41 DC DK

• BlackEar
    BlackEar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asmael wrote: »
    Only got 2 side buttons for my mouse, corresponding to abilities 4 & 5. Using a standard EU keyboard, so QZSD for movement, A for quickslot, R for ultimates, W for swapping, left alt for dodge rollz.

And, well, for ESO a controller is fine, but good luck playing some MMOs with a controller, when you got 50+ abilities, and need a combination of 1, 2, 3, 4... with Ctrl, alt, Ctrl + alt, caps, etc.

Mostly a matter of getting used to it and finding a comfortable position.

__

On a side node @BlackEar , what linked is relevant to animation cancelling, not macros. As mentioned, AC is allowed, macros are not.
    Can you please link to the official ZOS response saying that? I post because I can not seem to find the official answer and a lot of people seem to know but can't post their source. @Asmael
    Edited by BlackEar on July 25, 2016 2:37PM
    Bjorn Blackbear - Master Angler - Collector - Black Market Mogul - Ebonheart Pact - Exterminatus - EU.

Achievement hunter:

Visit my profile page to find out about which achievement I am currently hunting.

Check out Anemonean's thieving guide!