The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Auction House

• ScottK1994
    ScottK1994
    ✭✭✭
    ScottK1994 wrote: »
    The fact that it comes up often at all is a big thing

not really because its the same few people every time...

I doubt that.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The more these threads are made the more people grow tiresome looking at an entire page of the same topic.

There's like 3 trading threads on the first page. God forbid you think this idea goes unseen or forgotten about.

Speak for yourself. The more these threads are seen the more people are reminded that not everyone agrees with the current system for the player economy.

and there have been posts on this from the beginning. have they changed the trading system yet ? no. so 50 more threads about the same thing arent going to change it.

By that logic the people asking for Text Chat on Console should of given up. The players asking for Small Scale PvP should of given up and those asking for the removal of Veteran Ranks should of given up.

Considering youre not a ZOS employee and have absolutely no means of speaking on behalf of them. To say this will never change is laughable.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • ScottK1994
    ScottK1994
    ✭✭✭
    The more these threads are made the more people grow tiresome looking at an entire page of the same topic.

There's like 3 trading threads on the first page. God forbid you think this idea goes unseen or forgotten about.

Speak for yourself. The more these threads are seen the more people are reminded that not everyone agrees with the current system for the player economy.

and there have been posts on this from the beginning. have they changed the trading system yet ? no. so 50 more threads about the same thing arent going to change it.

By that logic the people asking for Text Chat on Console should of given up. The players asking for Small Scale PvP should of given up and those asking for the removal of Veteran Ranks should of given up.

Considering youre not a ZOS employee and have absolutely no means of speaking on behalf of them. To say this will never change is laughable.

It's clearly just because they're severely profiting and manipulating, like real sociopaths!
  • grom1024
    grom1024
    ✭✭✭
    This is one case where real world analogies like this fall apart. In the real world, the people who own the gas station kiosks don't strip Walmart bare and resell the stuff at a higher price. In the game, they would strip Walmart bare and offer it back to Walmart at a higher price.

Because you just could not even in this game. You could only target certain narrow categories of goods and even on those goods you could not maintain absolute monopoly. None of those goods that you have mentioned earlier is absolutely critical to gameplay, and most of them could be farmed with some efforts even by casual players. It is just nice to have.

Also, you will be able to pull this trick only one or two times. After you pull it first time, the price will stabilize at level you put it back. People are not idiots and if something has high price on AH, they will not offer it cheap. If you interfere too much with sales by undercutting, they will just start selling this specific category on chat. And even undercutting cannot be absolute because you will just not able to check AH every millisecond. Developers will have to add some defence just for performance reasons.

Also, AH does not have to be carbon copy of AH from other games. Simple preventive measures like limiting buys and sells to 100 positions per day from AH for account will significantly reduce your ability to play the market. Developers could think more of such measures to reduce risks that you have outlined. But instead you are insisting on that AH would be broken independently of implementation.

The problem with current scheme is the lack of diversity on the market. And that is natural result of idea of a lot of small markets. Only big markets could sustain diversity. Also there is major usability problems for buyers and sellers. Anything that stays between buyer and seller is just bad user experience.

From what I see, only few pro traders benefit from the current the scheme as it allows them to speculate due to price difference in isolated markets while spending a lot of time on it. All others and especially casual players will benefit from AH. Your eloquent defence of the current system just shows that how greatly you benefit from its defects.
    Edited by grom1024 on July 23, 2016 3:45PM
  • Glyntt
    Glyntt
    I can think of few things that would cause me to unsub and/or lose interest in ESO right now but an Auction House would do it.

One of the best things about this game is (if you enjoy trading) the trader system. You actually have to work to find items, join the right guilds to sell them, etc. It requires effort. It's a game unto itself. And that's the problem for some folks I guess. They'd like a zero-effort gimme system that destroys what we have now, devalues literally every item in the game, all while making market manipulation 1000% easier. Just. so. they. don't. have. to. search.

I will NOT support an Auction House in ESO. Keep our system unique please.

• grom1024
    grom1024
    ✭✭✭
    Glyntt wrote: »
    I can think of few things that would cause me to unsub and/or lose interest in ESO right now but an Auction House would do it.

One of the best things about this game is (if you enjoy trading) the trader system. You actually have to work to find items, join the right guilds to sell them, etc. It requires effort. It's a game unto itself. And that's the problem for some folks I guess. They'd like a zero-effort gimme system that destroys what we have now, devalues literally every item in the game, all while making market manipulation 1000% easier. Just. so. they. don't. have. to. search.

There is no challenge in the efforts to find item in guild stores for casual player like me. It is just repeating the same extremely simple and boring operations time and time again: a time wasting grind in its worst form. And I'm not against keeping guild stores like they are for those who like it. AH could additional selling place for players that do not want to waste their time on boring and tedious guild store checking activities. Currently, I'm just checking stores for my guilds, and looking for other guilds only if there is no needed mats in mine. Or if I feel lazy, just skip crafting writs for that days until mats will be up for acceptable price. Later happens more and more often.

Update: If you have fun searching guild stores, good luck to you. However, not everyone finds it interesting to role-play SQL query. Some like me have too much of it at work anyway. Why do you want reducing fun for others that want just usable place to trade and get done with it?
    Edited by grom1024 on July 23, 2016 4:36PM
  • snakester320
    snakester320
    ✭✭✭✭

sorry but the im going to unsub from the game is like 100 years old .. by my understanding ZOS must make most of there profit off the kiddies wanting mounts and costumes blah blah so even if 1000 ppl unsubed beacuse of a GLOBAL AH which in my opinion should be introduced to stop rich guilds controling the markets and making it easier for EVERYONE to sell and find stuff.. its really not going to hurt much look at EA they spit out crap regularly but still make money!!
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    wayfarerx wrote: »
    Above are some people with hundreds of thousands of gold and are worried that they'll seem less rich in a working system.

People say this a lot and it's nonsense. I'm in a good trade guild with a prime spot and I don't see any collusion or exploiting the system, just weekly raffles and such like any other guild.

What supporters of the global auction house overlook is that people like me will game the holy hell out of a global store front. I've done it in other MMOs and I'd do it here as well. I wouldn't need a guild or raffles or any of that nonsense, just me and a couple hours hacking some LUA and boom, your markets belong to me. The current system makes such market domination infeasible for the solo individual and difficult for large guilds. A global auction house would make it trivial for everyone.

Your cure is worse than the disease.

Wouldn't that get you a ban though ? Well, with ZOS, a 3 day suspension I guess....

You could fully automate the process and yes, that would be a TOS violation... but it's not necessary to do so. I was thinking of a modified Master Merchant addon to scan the AH and an extension to AwesomeGuildStore that would automatically surface the best deals. I'd keep a laptop running ESO around and every half hour or so run a scan of the AH, buy up any good deals and immediately realist them for higher prices.

And it would not just be me, hundreds of people would do this. Many of them wouldn't just play the buy-low-sell-high game either, they would actively seek to control entire chunks of the market. And as long as people were not automating the process there would not be a single suspension or ban.
    Edited by wayfarerx on July 23, 2016 4:35PM
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Interesting..... have none of you ever stopped to think for a second that the reason they opted for this system over an auction house is due to server limitations?
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

sorry but the im going to unsub from the game is like 100 years old .. by my understanding ZOS must make most of there profit off the kiddies wanting mounts and costumes blah blah so even if 1000 ppl unsubed beacuse of a GLOBAL AH which in my opinion should be introduced to stop rich guilds controling the markets and making it easier for EVERYONE to sell and find stuff.. its really not going to hurt much look at EA they spit out crap regularly but still make money!!

another specious argument..... rich guilds do not control the markets.
  • snakester320
    snakester320
    ✭✭✭✭

how so you have to bid on guild traders to my understanding so if you can afford to out bid another guild for the right to have a guild trader then you richer than the other guild so you get to sell your goods to the population where as other guilds dont!! thus being able to control the market as such..where as if there was a AH it would allow everyone to have a fair go at selling in the markets not just guilds with more money than others!! haters only hate because they stand to lose there market and it worries them!!
    Edited by snakester320 on July 23, 2016 5:06PM
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The fact that it comes up often at all is a big thing

not really because its the same few people every time...

I doubt that.

I don't. I've been here since PC early access.

What we usually get is a newbie who either hasn't seen the previous threads, or has decided that their one will make all the difference, who starts a new thread on the topic... and then comparatively quickly the same old names pile in. Occasionally even to the point of arguing around the OP.
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno how tight hold over gem markets in WoW equates to market control. In WoW it was really easy to just ask a guild mate to do it for you if you werent right financially.

I just don't understand the lack of interest in change, just because there's vast profit in terms of numbers. But the gold is worth far less

You can get a guildy to make you free things in every MMO, that doesn't mean a person can't have tight control over what is sold in an AH.

And the reason gold is close to worthless in this game is the overwhelming lack of decent gold sinks. Everything other MMOs use as gold sinks ZO$ has put behind a crown wall instead or simply isn't capable of providing. Reforge and trait changes to gear? Nope. Barber Shop? Give us you dollar$! Pets? More dollar$. Mounts? $$$. Disguises? $$$$$. That is why gold in this game is pretty worthless, you have nothing to spend it on other than to make even more gold. >.>
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

how so you have to bid on guild traders to my understanding so if you can afford to out bid another guild for the right to have a guild trader then you richer than the other guild so you get to sell your goods to the population where as other guilds dont!! thus being able to control the market as such..where as if there was a AH it would allow everyone to have a fair go at selling in the markets not just guilds with more money than others!! haters only hate because they stand to lose there market and it worries them!!

that's guild traders.....guild traders are not the whole market. you do realize that you can sell your stuff anywhere anytime to anyone?

you don't have to be in a trade guild to trade - you don't have to be in a guild to trade.....
  • ScottK1994
    ScottK1994
    ✭✭✭

that's guild traders.....guild traders are not the whole market. you do realize that you can sell your stuff anywhere anytime to anyone?

you don't have to be in a trade guild to trade - you don't have to be in a guild to trade.....

You do on console
  • xilfxlegion
    xilfxlegion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

the difference is a lot of people wanted that stuff. only you and like 4 other people give a crap about an auction house.
  • Neirymn
    Neirymn
    ✭✭✭✭

You do on console

Not for long, text chat is coming August 16. ;)
  • grom1024
    grom1024
    ✭✭✭
    Above are some people with hundreds of thousands of gold and are worried that they'll seem less rich in a working system.

People say this a lot and it's nonsense. I'm in a good trade guild with a prime spot and I don't see any collusion or exploiting the system, just weekly raffles and such like any other guild.

What supporters of the global auction house overlook is that people like me will game the holy hell out of a global store front. I've done it in other MMOs and I'd do it here as well. I wouldn't need a guild or raffles or any of that nonsense, just me and a couple hours hacking some LUA and boom, your markets belong to me. The current system makes such market domination infeasible for the solo individual and difficult for large guilds. A global auction house would make it trivial for everyone.

Your cure is worse than the disease.

Wouldn't that get you a ban though ? Well, with ZOS, a 3 day suspension I guess....

You could fully automate the process and yes, that would be a TOS violation... but it's not necessary to do so. I was thinking of a modified Master Merchant addon to scan the AH and an extension to AwesomeGuildStore that would automatically surface the best deals. I'd keep a laptop running ESO around and every half hour or so run a scan of the AH, buy up any good deals and immediately realist them for higher prices.

And it would not just be me, hundreds of people would do this. Many of them wouldn't just play the buy-low-sell-high game either, they would actively seek to control entire chunks of the market. And as long as people were not automating the process there would not be a single suspension or ban.

If there is account-wide limit 100 buy and sell deals per day, or 50 deals per day accumulated for 12 days max like enlightenment now, then your script will stop to work and load up servers with queries. And you assume that API would allow you doing it. It is not necessary so. Requiring human confirmation for sale or buy fill force you to sit near notebook, or violate ToS with perma-ban possibility by using third party program to skip this step. For each too-smart-for-own-good, there is possible improvement in the code that would make it worthless. Normal users will not notice such restrictions, only market players. They will have to play smart to squeeze any speculation income in such situation and focus on high-level goods.
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Text Chat and Small scale PvP was never stated as a NO and they always said that it was being looked at. Vet Rank system was never going to be permanent , but was there till they could get the CP system worked out. ( Refer to AuA segments of ESO-Live and the old "Road Ahead" segments).
    But, they (real Zos employees), have stated live, on camera, in 2014, that, No, There will be no auction house. Ever. This was brought up again on ESO-Live 4/24/15 AuA segment. So no, we dont speak for Zos, But Zos has spoken. More than once.. There will be no auction house.. Ever,,,
    Edited by wenchmore420b14_ESO on July 23, 2016 6:30PM
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • ScottK1994
    ScottK1994
    ✭✭✭
    senhavran wrote: »

You do on console

Not for long, text chat is coming August 16. ;)

Yeah I know, but it always feels longer waiting for something.. It's only 3 weeks but maybe if I froze myself in the Pentland hills and get a friend to wake me on release day. Butters is a good guy for things like that..

• Milicent
    Milicent
    ✭✭✭
    They won’t change it, if they centralize it, prices would go down, some people don’t want that.

And those people are likely the ones that spend more real money on the game, ZoS knows that and they won’t change a thing.

Welcome to practical capitalism.
    ————
    (\_/)
    ( O_o)
    o(“)(“)
  • grom1024
    grom1024
    ✭✭✭
    But, they (real Zos employees), have stated live, on camera, in 2014, that, No, There will be no auction house. Ever. This was brought up again on ESO-Live 4/24/15 AuA segment. So no, we dont speak for Zos, But Zos has spoken. More than once.. There will be no auction house.. Ever,,,

There is Russian proverb "water splits rocks", so we will keep trying. If you are so sure, then there is no need to be agitated :wink: So far only hardcore traders voiced for the current system, and they go so far as threaten to break the game for the rest of the players if AH is implemented. Typical FUD tactics.

• jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You do on console

let me get this straight....

you can't talk to other players on console?

really???

you bought into an mmo on a system that dosn't let you talk to other players?

an mmo? a massively multiplayer online game and you can't talk to other players???

/facepalm

and because of that you want to disrupt an economy that works perfectly well (and lets not overlook the fact that soon you will be able to talk to other players) because you use a system that is not fit for purpose?

your honour....

i rest my case.
  • snakester320
    snakester320
    ✭✭✭✭
    Love the excuse of text chat is the other way to sell yeah dredge though a wall of text trying to sell or buy:) yeah smart!! whats the point of text chat on the pc or for console ( when it arrives ) if its just going to be a wall of WTS WTB spams!! so why not juts put a AH or market board join every thing together makes it easier less messy and fair for all!!
  • ScottK1994
    ScottK1994
    ✭✭✭

You do on console

let me get this straight....

you can't talk to other players on console?

really???

you bought into an mmo on a system that dosn't let you talk to other players?

an mmo? a massively multiplayer online game and you can't talk to other players???

/facepalm

and because of that you want to disrupt an economy that works perfectly well (and lets not overlook the fact that soon you will be able to talk to other players) because you use a system that is not fit for purpose?

your honour....

i rest my case.

No because all the evidence points to the contrary and that the system is not suit to purpose unless the purpose is to allow it to be terrible
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Love the excuse of text chat is the other way to sell yeah dredge though a wall of text trying to sell or buy:) yeah smart!! whats the point of text chat on the pc or for console ( when it arrives ) if its just going to be a wall of WTS WTB spams!! so why not juts put a AH or market board join every thing together makes it easier less messy and fair for all!!

because it isn't a wall of wts/wtb spams..... you get a lot in major hubs true - but that's what people go there for.
  • snakester320
    snakester320
    ✭✭✭✭
    grom1024 wrote: »

There is Russian proverb "water splits rocks", so we will keep trying. If you are so sure, then there is no need to be agitated :wink: So far only hardcore traders voiced for the current system, and they go so far as threaten to break the game for the rest of the players if AH is implemented. Typical FUD tactics.

lmfao dont see them breaking anything what are they going to do raise the prices of everything LMFAO that will work for 10 minutes till they get undercut by ppl wanting to sell ..unsub and leave lmao may lose 5k and be replaced by another 5k!!! apart from fully crafted blah blah crap!!! most can be got out of 12man runs and ive seen some good sets there ... raise the prices of materials ppl will farm mats again and start to undercut them once again..its nothing more than empty threat !!
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scottk I thought you said you were done posting in here.

I have an account on XB1 as well and yes the lack of text chat is a pain. Due to the severe chat limitations, prices are all over the place. Potent Nirncrux is 35k at a vendor in Rawlkha and then its 8k in eldenroot. People unsure of prices are taking guesses and putting stuff up for sale based on a price they feel is right. Thats how it should be, it opens the door for bargains.

Whereas an auction house you see this:
    16,000, 15999, 15998, 15997, 15996 because the instant gratification kids that populate MMOs today just want a quick sale.

One of the reasons I came to ESO is because it was different from the other 20ish mmo titles ive played in the past. I loved EQ, channel selling, no AH...you had to work.

I guess its how we grew up with gaming. I believe in rewards behind hard work. Others want to be spoonfed selffishly because their content is more important than content for merchants (us, the group that enjoys haggaling, bargain hunting, maximizing our profit potentials).
    Edited by Makkir on July 23, 2016 7:20PM
  • ArcVelarian
    ArcVelarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AugustoCP wrote: »
    Does anyone else think we really, really should get a centralized auction house? It'd be just so much easier to find things.

No. We don't want or need one. We especially don't want to attract the gold farmers back. As it is, the economy makes this game unprofitable for them.

Murphy's Law of PvP : If it can be abused and or exploited, it will be abused and or exploited.
  • ScottK1994
    ScottK1994
    ✭✭✭
    I said I was going to stop replying to certain people if anything.

And its a complete lack of care about the community(edit, not from zenimax)which is one of the reasons I'm considering stopping this game. Ive met like four nice people out a few thousand, obviously some there was a social block but still this trading system is a hindrance to majority of newcomers.
    Only a minority of people want a system where it feels like trading and bartering of goods, most people want to sell items that aren't useful to them but useful to others and buy things they want in an convenient way.

Not many people find money or trading fun, I at least play games to avoid the realities of the world.

An AH is convenient and the trader system isn't and that is the only thing that really matters.
    Edited by ScottK1994 on July 23, 2016 7:32PM
This discussion has been closed.