The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Auction House

• jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ScottK1994 wrote: »
    grom1024 wrote: »
    my world chat sales bit was not a boast. it was a demonstration of how it is possible to make good sales without being in a trade guild - because there seems to be a widespread delusion, amongst the proponents of an auction house, that the only way you can make good sales is by paying a fee to be in a trade guild...that is not the case.

same for buying stuff - a year or so back i need 1 recipe for the full set. i was in a couple of social guilds at the time and offered 20k if anyone could find it for me, no luck - was in wayrest a few days later did a world shout and was offered it for 100 gold. that is a functional system.

auction houses can be gamed and are gamed by people (there are a couple of particularly eloquent ones in this thread) who see trade as an integral part of the game. the gold made is how you keep score. the system as it stands could be gamed but it would be incredibly difficult to do - probably impossible for one person. it works, keep it as it is but fix the ui.

Guild stores and chat sales works for items that universal. But about about niche items (level 20 sets for example), try to sell them in guild store or on the chat. You would have found your recipe much faster on AH just because it is possible to put low demand items and still sell them. Games happen on AH, but I do not see them as game stoppers. There are greater problems on the marked IRL, but we live with it.

i only trade, mats, recipes and motifs - never considered low level gear as a revenue source - i either npc or deconstruct it. as for the recipe on an ah - would i have found it quicker? impossible to say.

yes markets irl are gamed and we live with it - we have no choice.

This is exactly the problem. Because guilds are small partitioned markets, it only makes sense to sell items only needed by many, so at least someone would buy. But in my travels, I come across of items I would have used at appropriate level. For set items, only if set is complete. For now, I'm selling it to NPC or deconstruct. Because buying this items would make sense only as set at appropriate level. Larger markets would make it possible gather sets or find items needed for exact character situation. This will be greater choice for both buyers and sellers. Now buyer and seller choice is restricted. There are only few sale strategies that works.

i don't see this.

the only gear i buy - ever - is top end (cp160) jewellery and that is only because i can't craft it.

all of my alts get by on drops for the first 20 or 30 levels then i craft sets. the sets last 10 lvls easily. my current played alt is still using lvl40 armour set (5 hundings rage 4 kvatch gladiator) - weps are cp160 admittedly. i don't see the point in either buying or crafting low lvl gear sets you'ii only have for a few hours - and that is why i never considered low level gear as a revenue stream. when i think about selling stuff i always ask myself the same question - would you buy it?

i do take your point (to an extent) about a full low level set of gear - it may be an attractive proposition to a new player. but what price are you going to sell it at - full set of gear is going to take some time and effort to assemble and there is no guarantee that you will sell it, no guarantee that you will find new player with enough gold to make it worth your while.

Without an auction house at least

a specious remark at best

even with an auction house there is no guarantee that the new player will have the gold to buy it or that it would sell anyway. or do you think that you just dump all your junk in an auction house and somehow it will sell? really? join a few social guilds and look at the rubbish in the guild stores and see how much of that sells.
  • grom1024
    grom1024
    ✭✭✭
    i do take your point (to an extent) about a full low level set of gear - it may be an attractive proposition to a new player. but what price are you going to sell it at - full set of gear is going to take some time and effort to assemble and there is no guarantee that you will sell it, no guarantee that you will find new player with enough gold to make it worth your while.

You miss the point. I do not have to find the entire set and put it on the sale. I just need to put only pieces I find. Other players also put pieces they find on AH. It is buyer will check AH if there is complete set of pieces at needed level and will buy them all. When many sells and many buys at one place - this is possible. With guild stores - this is not possible. Very few will browse stores for few hours for the armor set that expires in few hours.

Also crafter will have place to sell, if I craft level 20 blue hunding in breton style, I know that someone will buy it if market is large enough. Low level people would rather buy for reasonable price rather than spend precious skill points for professions. They even will not manage to research enough traits at this level. Now crafters only could take specific orders.
  • alexkdd99
    alexkdd99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stealthbr wrote: »
    Here's an idea: keep the Guild Traders and the entire system as it is, but introduce an NPC in every major city that, when interacted with, allows a player to search for the item they want and that NPC, perhaps for a fee, tells the player where to find it. The NPC does not tell how much of said item is available at the location(s) or how much it costs, only where the player can find it. An Item Scout.

It can't be complicated. Complicated and the buying and selling of goods isn't amicable.

You guys wouldn't be wanting this system in real life anyway. Need to find toilet roll. The shop down the road only has Lamborghini parts and candy. The next store you find has worn shoes and clown dolls. The next again store sells poison and food right next to eachither. Well guess what. You've *** your pants by the next shop but it does have toilet roll. Now you need detergent.

Except that is not how it is in this game. In any major hub you can find the same exact items. All this going on about can't find what you need is crazy. Either you want it dirt cheap and refuse to just pay for it or you want some obscure item that nobody else has a use for. And I think the market is doing fine on consoles as I pull in 100k+ in sales daily. Might miss a day here or there but it most definitely is not dieing as you are claiming. The market in this game is probably more realistic than most others. It is all supply and demand if you can't find an item there is obviously no demand for it so this problem couldn't be wise spread and effecting as many people a you think our a market for said items would emerge
  • grom1024
    grom1024
    ✭✭✭
    alexkdd99 wrote: »
    Here's an idea: keep the Guild Traders and the entire system as it is, but introduce an NPC in every major city that, when interacted with, allows a player to search for the item they want and that NPC, perhaps for a fee, tells the player where to find it. The NPC does not tell how much of said item is available at the location(s) or how much it costs, only where the player can find it. An Item Scout.

It can't be complicated. Complicated and the buying and selling of goods isn't amicable.

You guys wouldn't be wanting this system in real life anyway. Need to find toilet roll. The shop down the road only has Lamborghini parts and candy. The next store you find has worn shoes and clown dolls. The next again store sells poison and food right next to eachither. Well guess what. You've *** your pants by the next shop but it does have toilet roll. Now you need detergent.

Except that is not how it is in this game. In any major hub you can find the same exact items. All this going on about can't find what you need is crazy. Either you want it dirt cheap and refuse to just pay for it or you want some obscure item that nobody else has a use for. And I think the market is doing fine on consoles as I pull in 100k+ in sales daily. Might miss a day here or there but it most definitely is not dieing as you are claiming. The market in this game is probably more realistic than most others. It is all supply and demand if you can't find an item there is obviously no demand for it so this problem couldn't be wise spread and effecting as many people a you think our a market for said items would emerge

If we take real word analogy, currently we have kiosks at gas stations. There are a lot of them, but choice is limited. Because only few people visit each of them. So only very generic goods could be offered.

With AH will have mega-mart which more people visit, so it has huge selection of goods as it could carter very specific needs.

You insists that everything that could not be found by browsing gas station kiosks is not actually needed. But mega-marts prove otherwise. There is a demand for goods that are not economical to sell at gas station kiosk. You just need to increase amount visitors.

The larger the market the more diversity it could afford. This is 101 of economics.
  • ScottK1994
    ScottK1994
    ✭✭✭
    i think half of these threads will go away once they introduce chat to the consoles.

Perhaps. The method of finding a trading guild is running up to someone, opening their profile and messaging them asking if they have a trading guild haha but it doesn't solve the issue of being able to find stuff. I know it's easier for 160 stuff but the rest is a bit miffy
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You miss the point. I do not have to find the entire set and put it on the sale. I just need to put only pieces I find. Other players also put pieces they find on AH. It is buyer will check AH if there is complete set of pieces at needed level and will buy them all. When many sells and many buys at one place - this is possible. With guild stores - this is not possible. Very few will browse stores for few hours for the armor set that expires in few hours.

Also crafter will have place to sell, if I craft level 20 blue hunding in breton style, I know that someone will buy it if market is large enough. Low level people would rather buy for reasonable price rather than spend precious skill points for professions. They even will not manage to research enough traits at this level. Now crafters only could take specific orders.

i think you mean guild trader..... the kind of activity you describe already happens in guild stores - without much success.
    as for new players not being able to craft - how do you think people got by when the game started? lvl 20 blue hunding? you would probably make more selling the mats to a dedicated crafter than selling the set to someone who probably would not have the gold to make it worthwhile.
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

If we take real word analogy, currently we have kiosks at gas stations. There are a lot of them, but choice is limited. Because only few people visit each of them. So only very generic goods could be offered.

---snip---

The larger the market the more diversity it could afford. This is 101 of economics.

we call them petrol stations here but the reason they are stocked the way they are is down to careful market research - specifically what is someone likely to impulse buy when they are getting petrol.

i think you need to resit the course

• grom1024
    grom1024
    ✭✭✭

---snip---

we call them petrol stations here but the reason they are stocked the way they are is down to careful market research - specifically what is someone likely to impulse buy when they are getting petrol.

You could impulse buy anything, even micro-wave oven. It might have given out smokes 5 min ago. But diversity set of offers is not free to maintain (cost of shelve space, cost of contracts, etc.). So petrol station could not afford to offer you microwave oven for impulse buy. But bigger shops could, because more people visit.

And you snipped out the core argument: comparison with mega-marts, considering that you left all quotes above, that looks strange.

Let say 0.01% of visitors will buy certain position.

If shop have 100 visitors per day, you will sell 0.01 item per day. So you will sell about 3.5 items per year.
    if shop have 100000 visitors per day, will sell 10 items per day. So you will sell about 3500 items per year.

But seller will have to pay the similar cost of maintaining positions in both cases. AH is the place with a lot of visitors. So it would make sense to post greater diversity of items there and they will sell unlike current situation with guild stores.

Production would come from loot for most items, if price of loot on AH - taxes will be lower than NPC price, people will not just sale it. For crafted items, few will sell below component cost+30% .

• ScottK1994
    ScottK1994
    ✭✭✭
    Post above me is a load of nonsense
  • grom1024
    grom1024
    ✭✭✭
    Post above me is a load of nonsense

That is what people who lack arguments would say.
  • ScottK1994
    ScottK1994
    ✭✭✭
    Fine. In what way does a shop sell one item per 100 hundred costumers? Even in petrol stations they're selling an item 100% of the time lol(the petrol but I shouldn't have to say that)
    Edited by ScottK1994 on July 22, 2016 9:13PM
  • grom1024
    grom1024
    ✭✭✭
    Fine. In what way does a shop sell one item per 100 hundred costumers? Even in petrol stations they're selling an item 100% of the time lol(the petrol but I shouldn't have to say that)

Pertol stations in my country have kiosks with some goods like simple snacks, water or other drinks, pens, journals, etc. Not everyone buys it, but some buy. Overall such sales are profitable. Maybe your country forbids it, I do not know.

• jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

---snip---

You could impulse buy anything, even micro-wave oven. It might have given out smokes 5 min ago. But diversity set of offers is not free to maintain (cost of shelve space, cost of contracts, etc.). So petrol station could not afford to offer you microwave oven for impulse buy. But bigger shops could, because more people visit.

And you snipped out the core argument: comparison with mega-marts, considering that you left all quotes above, that looks strange.

Let say 0.01% of visitors will buy certain position.

If shop have 100 visitors per day, you will sell 0.01 item per day. So you will sell about 3.5 items per year.
    if shop have 100000 visitors per day, will sell 10 items per day. So you will sell about 3500 items per year.

But seller will have to pay the similar cost of maintaining positions in both cases. AH is the place with a lot of visitors. So it would make sense to post greater diversity of items there and they will sell unlike current situation with guild stores.

Production would come from loot for most items, if price of loot on AH - taxes will be lower than NPC price, people will not just sale it. For crafted items, few will sell below component cost+30% .

i snipped the bit i did because i did not want to comment on it.

i don't think you understand the concept of impulse buying. if my microwave stops i will go to a specialized trader - because i will get a better deal. this is not an impulse purchase. on the other hand i am filling my car up with petrol because i'm going on a long journey - look there is a cd from a band i like i'll get that to listen to on the journey - that is an impulse buy.
  • grom1024
    grom1024
    ✭✭✭
    i don't think you understand the concept of impulse buying. if my microwave stops i will go to a specialized trader - because i will get a better deal. this is not an impulse purchase. on the other hand i am filling my car up with petrol because i'm going on a long journey - look there is a cd from a band i like i'll get that to listen to on the journey - that is an impulse buy.

Impulse bying is a feature of buyer rather than of good. Weak ago I seen couple at 50s impulse bought 56" 3D TV while they were looking for frying pan. Normal shops promote impulse buying as much as other places. Especially at sales events.

Motivation of buyer is completely irrelevant to my argument. Important is exposure of items to buyers and cost of maintaining
    this is exposure. For petrol stations kiosks due to low exposure they could only keep very popular items, impulse buying or not. Mega-marts have high exposure and could sell niche items with profit.
  • ScottK1994
    ScottK1994
    ✭✭✭

Impulse bying is a feature of buyer rather than of good. Weak ago I seen couple at 50s impulse bought 56" 3D TV while they were looking for frying pan. Normal shops promote impulse buying as much as other places. Especially at sales events.

Motivation of buyer is completely irrelevant to my argument. Important is exposure of items to buyers and cost of maintaining
    this is exposure. For petrol stations kiosks due to low exposure they could only keep very popular items, impulse buying or not. Mega-marts have high exposure and could sell niche items with profit.

But they're selling oil every time? If someone goes to a shop they're usually looking for an item. Just like every person who visits your guild trader wants something
  • grom1024
    grom1024
    ✭✭✭
    But they're selling oil every time? If someone goes to a shop they're usually looking for an item. Just like every person who visits your guild trader wants something

You are going into irrelevant direction. You would sell jute at 8g w/o problem, but anything more niche-specific is not going to sell with current system. For selling niche goods (for example, level 20 chest item sets), there should be high amount of visitors and you need to gather all pieces in your guild. This is just not going to happen.

The larger economy size, the greater diversity. The current economics has very poor diversity and boring, unless you just like to move few goods around. Mats, recipes, cp160 items sets. Almost all other items sells bad not because of lack of potential customers, but because they are not aware of sale position or purchasing and coordinating sale require too much efforts. Set items require buying all pieces at the same time. I would have bought some just look how set bonus works if not for other reason.
  • ScottK1994
    ScottK1994
    ✭✭✭

You are going into irrelevant direction. You would sell jute at 8g w/o problem, but anything more niche-specific is not going to sell with current system. For selling niche goods (for example, level 20 chest item sets), there should be high amount of visitors and you need to gather all pieces in your guild. This is just not going to happen.

The larger economy size, the greater diversity. The current economics has very poor diversity and boring, unless you just like to move few goods around. Mats, recipes, cp160 items sets. Almost all other items sells bad not because of lack of potential customers, but because they are not aware of sale position or purchasing and coordinating sale require too much efforts. Set items require buying all pieces at the same time. I would have bought some just look how set bonus works if not for other reason.

I agree. I think if the guild trader system is going to stick there has to be some kind of noticeboard where you search items and it gives a list of traders and where with those items. Obviously not showing the price. If people are so worried about competition then make it by zone
  • grom1024
    grom1024
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I think if the guild trader system is going to stick there has to be some kind of noticeboard where you search items and it gives a list of traders and where with those items. Obviously not showing the price. If people are so worried about competition then make it by zone

The smaller market partition, the poorer diversity. No way around it. I would rather make global index. And I do not understand argument against prices.
  • ScottK1994
    ScottK1994
    ✭✭✭
    Me either, if things are cheaper that means your money is worth more
  • Conquistador
    Conquistador
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have grown tired of spending all day to find something. I just do without now. It's exhausting and stupid to have to zone everywhere to find an item.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With AH will have mega-mart which more people visit, so it has huge selection of goods as it could carter very specific needs.

You insists that everything that could not be found by browsing gas station kiosks is not actually needed. But mega-marts prove otherwise. There is a demand for goods that are not economical to sell at gas station kiosk. You just need to increase amount visitors.

This is one case where real world analogies like this fall apart. In the real world, the people who own the gas station kiosks don't strip Walmart bare and resell the stuff at a higher price. In the game, they would strip Walmart bare and offer it back to Walmart at a higher price.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The more these threads are made the more people grow tiresome looking at an entire page of the same topic.

There's like 3 trading threads on the first page. God forbid you think this idea goes unseen or forgotten about.

Speak for yourself. The more these threads are seen the more people are reminded that not everyone agrees with the current system for the player economy.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • ScottK1994
    ScottK1994
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that it comes up often at all is a big thing
  • Averya_Teira
    Averya_Teira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wayfarerx wrote: »
    Above are some people with hundreds of thousands of gold and are worried that they'll seem less rich in a working system.

People say this a lot and it's nonsense. I'm in a good trade guild with a prime spot and I don't see any collusion or exploiting the system, just weekly raffles and such like any other guild.

What supporters of the global auction house overlook is that people like me will game the holy hell out of a global store front. I've done it in other MMOs and I'd do it here as well. I wouldn't need a guild or raffles or any of that nonsense, just me and a couple hours hacking some LUA and boom, your markets belong to me. The current system makes such market domination infeasible for the solo individual and difficult for large guilds. A global auction house would make it trivial for everyone.

Your cure is worse than the disease.

Wouldn't that get you a ban though ? Well, with ZOS, a 3 day suspension I guess....
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wayfarerx wrote: »
    Above are some people with hundreds of thousands of gold and are worried that they'll seem less rich in a working system.

People say this a lot and it's nonsense. I'm in a good trade guild with a prime spot and I don't see any collusion or exploiting the system, just weekly raffles and such like any other guild.

What supporters of the global auction house overlook is that people like me will game the holy hell out of a global store front. I've done it in other MMOs and I'd do it here as well. I wouldn't need a guild or raffles or any of that nonsense, just me and a couple hours hacking some LUA and boom, your markets belong to me. The current system makes such market domination infeasible for the solo individual and difficult for large guilds. A global auction house would make it trivial for everyone.

Your cure is worse than the disease.

Wouldn't that get you a ban though ? Well, with ZOS, a 3 day suspension I guess....

No, it wouldn't. He didn't really meant hacking, just creating an add - on to help manage the auction house. And taking control over the market is definitely not a ban worthy offense, I had a really tight hold over the gem market in WoW with a couple of friends, for years.
  • ScottK1994
    ScottK1994
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno how tight hold over gem markets in WoW equates to market control. In WoW it was really easy to just ask a guild mate to do it for you if you werent right financially.

I just don't understand the lack of interest in change, just because there's vast profit in terms of numbers. But the gold is worth far less
  • xilfxlegion
    xilfxlegion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have grown tired of spending all day to find something. I just do without now. It's exhausting and stupid to have to zone everywhere to find an item.

i love that attitude. i especially love that attitude when the sellers in the outlying spots price their stuff lower. i get some amazing deals that way.

you could probably visit every single trader in the game in about an hour, depending on what youre searching for. i have done this every day for over a year now, it isnt that hard.

• jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This is one case where real world analogies like this fall apart. In the real world, the people who own the gas station kiosks don't strip Walmart bare and resell the stuff at a higher price. In the game, they would strip Walmart bare and offer it back to Walmart at a higher price.

exactly this...
  • xilfxlegion
    xilfxlegion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more these threads are made the more people grow tiresome looking at an entire page of the same topic.

There's like 3 trading threads on the first page. God forbid you think this idea goes unseen or forgotten about.

Speak for yourself. The more these threads are seen the more people are reminded that not everyone agrees with the current system for the player economy.

and there have been posts on this from the beginning. have they changed the trading system yet ? no. so 50 more threads about the same thing arent going to change it.
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The fact that it comes up often at all is a big thing

not really because its the same few people every time...
This discussion has been closed.