Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I have a couple noob questions again :)

Deathgiggle
Deathgiggle
✭✭✭
Sorry for the noob questions but the tutorial only goes so far. I always try to google the answer first but the discussions I find are not always informative for the new player. As an example I tried to google my question about crafting armor and gear but most discussions I found were talking about high level stuff.
If you find yourself with a spare minute, could you please answer one or two of these please. I appreciate it in advance :)

1. As far as crafting goes, are there any perks to it other than making your own gear? Like in World of Warcraft, my Warlock needed certain professions to be competitive in end game content. As an enchanter I could give myself higher level enchants that could not be bought from other players. They later changed that but in the beginning you had to have certain professions to get that DPS edge. So I'm wondering in ESO, if being able to craft my own medium armor or weapons will give me any advantage over just say buying it from someone else?

2. I'm only level 7 and I'm still in the noob zones. Along the way I've been finding wood and ore to mine and I've been saving it up. Is it worth the bank space to save it at this level and is it worth anything on the open market? Like as far as value how much does a stack of wood or metal sell for?

• InvitationNotFound
    InvitationNotFound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my opinion on this:
    1) there are different professions.
    in general you can buy items from other players in case you don't want to craft. some of the skill lines offer some additional things you still might want to have.
    a) clothier, woodworker, blacksmith:
    start as early as possible with researching traits. you will need an item with the trait you want to research (go to the crafting station to do so). this will allow you to craft set items later on in the game. e.g. some sets require that you have all 9 traits researched on the set item you want to craft.
    b) enchanting:
    harder to level but less painful than researching 9 traits on each item. you'll be able to craft glyphs that are way stronger then the glyphs from npcs / loot drops.
    c) alchemy
    allows you to craft stronger potions than the ones found as loot or in npcs.
    furthermore, there is a passive skill that increases the duration of the effects gained by potions. so you might want to go for those passives.
    d) provisioning
    of course, the food is better than the stuff found in loot or bought from npcs. again there are passives that increases the duration of the effect, so you might want those passives.

2) i doubt you have enough resources to properly level with them. if you want to go for those crafting skills you might want to deconstruct looted items as you will gain skill points this way (and the mats retrieved from deconstruction can be used to craft new items)

hope that helps.
    We want firing off Dark Exchange in the middle of combat to feel awesome... - The Wrobler
    You know you don't have to be here right? - Rich Lambert
    Verrätst du mir deinen Beruf? Ich würde auch gerne mal Annahmen dazu schreiben, wie simple die Aufgaben anderer sind. - Kai Schober

Addons:
    RdK Group Tool: esoui DE EN FR
    Port to Friend's House: esoui DE EN FR - Library: DE EN
    Yet another Compass: esoui DE EN FR
    Group Buffs: esoui DE EN FR
  • Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. every item a player can make can be traded, there are a few passives that benefit the crafter directly (increased duration of buff food/drink for example) there are no crafter only weapons/armour or enchants like in WOW
    2. cant answer that one really as I dont trade alot, there is a market for pretty much all crafting resources but wether you consider it a worth while profit margin I couldnt say.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter if you craft your gear yourself or buy it. However, Alchemy and Provisioning have passives increasing the duration of potions, food and drink buffs. The first one is particularly important: there's a cooldown on potions longer than their duration, so you want the minimize the break between one running out and drinking the next.

Material prices differ depending on platform, server and type of material, so it's best to ask in zone or guild for the going prices. Raw materials usually sell well because they can be refined for tempers, certain alchemy ingredients are also always in high demand.
  • Deathgiggle
    Deathgiggle
    ✭✭✭
    ok that answers the basics of what i needed to know. If I read it right, I can buy pretty much anything crafted but a couple of professions like Alchemy and Provisioning give certain passives from having leveled them.

So if I just farm a bunch of gold, I can buy sets already made and not have to worry about becoming a woodworker of clothier? Cause I really don't care to level everything if I don't have to. Provisioning I would like cause I enjoy the food buffs and Alchemy I could stand because potions can be useful in many situations. I just don't wanna craft my own armor unless there are some needed sets that cannot be bought or it gives me some perk for making my own.
  • Curtdogg47
    Curtdogg47
    ✭✭✭✭
    I said when I started that I wasn't going to be a crafter. Well now I'm leveled to 50 in all crafting skills. It's worth it to level as you go. Just deconstruct armor and weapons. Right now you may not be interested in crafting but later you find it to be very important.
  • StamKnightblade
    StamKnightblade
    Soul Shriven
    Totally agree with Curtdogg47. I wish i had leveled mine from the start. Worth deconstructing anything spare just to gradually level up and start your researching as early as possible
  • Vonovosi
    Vonovosi
    ✭✭✭
    I would pick up all the matts that you can regardless of whether you are going to craft or not. equipment matts are an easy sell in trade guilds at any level if you want to make gold in-game. On NA PC I am in 4 big trade guilds, and sell a lot of refined matts. Raw matts sell for even more, but I refine to get all the improvement matts. Either way, farming matts is a good way to make gold. If you are on PC make sure to get a few addons if you are going to get in a trade guild or 2. Master Merchant and awesome guild store are must have for trading. They can be downloaded at http://www.esoui.com/addons.php
    VR16 Khajiit Stamina Nightblade=DPS-(AD)-PC NA-Kuwabatake Sanjuro
    VR16 Breton Sorcerer-DPS/Healer-(DC)-PC NA-Charles Baudelaire
    VR16 Altmer Sorcerer=DPS/Healer-(AD)-PC NA-Lottie Millhaven
    VR16 Dunmer Dragonknight-Tank-(EP)-PC NA=Cthulhu Hllalu
    VR16 Imperial Dragonknight-Tank-(AD)-PC NA-Leeroy Jhenkins
    VR16 Breton Magicka Templar-Healer/DPS-(AD)-PC NA- Nina Hagen
    VR16 Altmer Magicka Nightblade-DPS-(AD)-PC NA-J R Bob Dobbs
    LVL39 Redguard Stamina Templar-Tank-(DC)-PC NA-Wesley Willis
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't need to spend any skill points to level any crafting (well it helps with speeding up Provisioning, Alchemy and Enchanting).

So, you should decon all your mob loot after you sold enough to cover repairs. That alone will level your equipment crafting just fine

Research at least 2 or 3 traits on each piece of gear you use. Try to get that to 6, which will not take all that long to do. Then you can make the most powerful general purpose sets in the game. Getting to 6 on just the items you use will take you about a month to two months.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. As far as crafting goes, are there any perks to it other than making your own gear? Like in World of Warcraft, my Warlock needed certain professions to be competitive in end game content. As an enchanter I could give myself higher level enchants that could not be bought from other players. They later changed that but in the beginning you had to have certain professions to get that DPS edge. So I'm wondering in ESO, if being able to craft my own medium armor or weapons will give me any advantage over just say buying it from someone else?

-> At the current time, there is nothing in the game that can be crafted that cannot be obtained through trade. This includes enchants, potions, weapons, and armor. However, there are passive benefits within the professions themselves (for example, Medicinal Use in Alchemy) that will benefit your character in combat. You can level Alchemy and then respec your points so that you only have the passives you want, and not the ability to craft anything, if you so choose.

2. I'm only level 7 and I'm still in the noob zones. Along the way I've been finding wood and ore to mine and I've been saving it up. Is it worth the bank space to save it at this level and is it worth anything on the open market? Like as far as value how much does a stack of wood or metal sell for?

-> The prices of materials will vary from server to server and from console to PC. They are usually pretty comparable. Know that unrefined cloth, ore, and wood is going to sell for a higher value than refined materials, because every time you refine a stack of 10 ore/wood/cloth you have a chance at obtaining a temper, which is used to improve the quality of your gear. Gold tempers are extremely expensive. My best advice to you would be to save all of your unrefined materials and refine them when you have the passives in that craft to maximize your chances for tempers.

Answers in italics. Also worth noting is that some of the best gear in the game right now is crafted. Most endgame builds use a combination of crafted and dropped gear. Depending on what you want down the line, it can sometimes be very difficult to find the person who can make the right piece for you, but it's just a matter of time before you eventually do.
    Edited by Autolycus on July 26, 2016 8:21PM
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    @Deathgiggle: It should be pointed out that at lvl7 all you need is dropped gear. I wouldn't worry about being able to actually craft anything for your toon until mid to late 30's if even then. You out level gear so fast that it's just not worth the mats to craft at lower levels. Just keep deconstructing loot you don't use and crafting levels will creep up all on their own without you even noticing.
    Edited by Tarukmockto on July 26, 2016 9:33PM
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • Bakven
    Bakven
    ✭✭✭
    I would say that if you don't want to level crafting, then don't. But continue to collect mats. You'll want to refine them yourself to get some extra temper, rosin, etc... You can sell those or even just keep them for use later. If you need gear crafted, it's a lot easier and cheaper if you already have them mats as not all crafters will craft gear if you don't already have them, or they will make it very expensive to compensate for the loss of mats. the only think I would say you should put skill points into would be improvements. In the clothier, woodworking, and blacksmith, there's a skill which makes it cheaper (as in using less tempers) to improve your gear.
    EP NA Haderus
    Iscangar- Mageblade (retired pvp; pve only now)
    Emlyn Medresi - Magicka DK

Soon to come
    Vash'rassa- Stamblade
    -Tiffany - Stam DK
    Trokaar - Mageblade (vamp/Iscangar 2.0)