The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Eidetic Memory Bugs/Comments/Help

• MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have found a book titled "[the] ghost fleet 3" somewhere in the area N of Skulltooth Coast (closer to the skyshard there) while doing The Missing Prowler quest. It was glowing, and when I grabbed it, it vanished and I got the objective change from "check east" to "check on the quatermaster", but it did not go to inventory/ding as read. I checked the eidetic memory and could not find anything resembling it.

I have abandoned the quest and retraced, but it was no longer there. Anyone has an idea [snip]?

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on June 20, 2022 6:02PM
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wolf2017 wrote: »
    Yes, it is
    TP Shrine, follow the path to the ship wreck
    coord : 32.50x72.25
    I'm not sure what coordinates you're using for this, by the way, but where I found it was at [34.26, 65.31]. Or [0.343, 0.652].
    abvh8q9l0p7y.png
    4xdha47ygxhy.png
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • wolf2017
    wolf2017
    ✭✭
    Troodon80 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what coordinates you're using for this, by the way, but where I found it was at [34.26, 65.31]. Or [0.343, 0.652].

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by wolf2017 on June 20, 2022 6:01PM
    Regards

WFX
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone knows where is the Adwig's Journal? I looked all over his hangout and could not locate it.

I saw a book titled something like "the ghost (or hidden?) fleet 3" a short distance away, and it vanished after reading, but it is not listed in Eidetic at all.
    Edited by MreeBiPolar on June 20, 2022 8:56PM
  • Djennku
    Djennku
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know if the books we couldn't get are available now and their locations? Also any post quest ones?
    @Djennku, PCNA.

Grand Master crafter, all styles and all furnishing plans known pre U41.
    Vamp and WW bites available for players.
    Shoot me an in-game mail if you need anything, happy to help!
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aussie500 wrote: »
    Actually they fixed Falkfyr's Page 7, it is sitting next to Falkfyr's Complete Report.
    I'm well aware. I grabbed it as soon as the update hit. And in the same patch where they fixed that, they introduced another bugged book you cannot get if you completed the quest before the entry was added to Eidetic Memory. It seems like we'll never be truly free of bugged books.

Still say that an account-wide Eidetic Memory is the best way to "fix" this. I could just log on to another character and redo the quest to get the missing book.

Please visit this thread
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7516100

And this thread
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7627262

Thanks
    Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if you wanted to specifically quote me. I have seen both. I actually posted in the first topic. Comment #7.

@jle30303 had, at least in my opinion, the best overall idea for account-wide lorebooks:
    jle30303 wrote: »
    I agree with the OP, with the following stipulations:

(1) Lorebooks specifically giving progress for the Mages Guild, should remain character specific. Crafting motifs should also remain character specific.

(2) Books that actually grant a skill point upon being read for the first time should be separated out into a different category, and should also remain character specific. (I believe these are all in the vanilla-game content anyway, not in DLC? Have any skill books been added by DLC, and are any in DLC-only areas?)

(3) All other Eidetic Memory books should be account-wide.
    Shalidor's Library (Mages Guild levelling books) and motifs should remain character specific. Skillpoint lorebooks should be put into a new category (or moved to Shalidor's Library) and made character specific. All other Eidetic Memory should be account-wide. All the ones mentioned for character-specific are not an issue, currently, since they're not one-off books. You can read them multiple times in the overworld, they don't disappear and don't go to your inventory, and can be read either as standalone books/pages or from bookshelves. The issue has always been quest related Eidetic Memory books.

Fixing them would obviously be great, so that each page, note, or book, has a post quest location. But at this point I would personally prefer account-wide, since that also future-proofs any books implemented in new content as well; if there's a bugged book, relog/create a new character and go do the quest again. It's not the best solution, perhaps, but it's one that would allow for workarounds.

@Troodon80 PC | EU
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
  • Djennku
    Djennku
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if you wanted to specifically quote me. I have seen both. I actually posted in the first topic. Comment #7.

@jle30303 had, at least in my opinion, the best overall idea for account-wide lorebooks:
    jle30303 wrote: »
    I agree with the OP, with the following stipulations:

(1) Lorebooks specifically giving progress for the Mages Guild, should remain character specific. Crafting motifs should also remain character specific.

(2) Books that actually grant a skill point upon being read for the first time should be separated out into a different category, and should also remain character specific. (I believe these are all in the vanilla-game content anyway, not in DLC? Have any skill books been added by DLC, and are any in DLC-only areas?)

(3) All other Eidetic Memory books should be account-wide.
    Shalidor's Library (Mages Guild levelling books) and motifs should remain character specific. Skillpoint lorebooks should be put into a new category (or moved to Shalidor's Library) and made character specific. All other Eidetic Memory should be account-wide. All the ones mentioned for character-specific are not an issue, currently, since they're not one-off books. You can read them multiple times in the overworld, they don't disappear and don't go to your inventory, and can be read either as standalone books/pages or from bookshelves. The issue has always been quest related Eidetic Memory books.

Fixing them would obviously be great, so that each page, note, or book, has a post quest location. But at this point I would personally prefer account-wide, since that also future-proofs any books implemented in new content as well; if there's a bugged book, relog/create a new character and go do the quest again. It's not the best solution, perhaps, but it's one that would allow for workarounds.

I personally really like that idea. Makes it so that if you miss a bok or they fix the quest later on, you can still get the book collected.
    @Djennku, PCNA.

• Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So, after a year and a half, still no news on A Tale of the Dauntless Bananas?
    SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Holger30 wrote: »
    Systres Tomes and Scrolls:
    Adwig's Journal - could not find, /should/ be related to the The Missing Prowler quest, and by contents, supposed to be in Adwig's "home", but again, I could not find it at all despite scouring the whole place for 2 hours. Suspect it spawns underground.

Dreadsails Communique - same, except supposedly at the ship you firebomb or docks nearby. Again, not found despite scouring the whole place X times.

--

Ode to the Nose of a Woman - the letter you are given to deliver to Aurelia, I think a post-quest was added.

--

Letter from Aurelia Jourvel - SNEAKILY given to you by Isobel at the start of her 2nd quest (The Lost Symbol), in quest inventory, vanishes once you progress to 1st stage, dunno if/where's a post-quest.

Kiv's Journal - the same quest, it's one of the dropped trail marks, unmissable I think, you have to grab (and it autoreads) it for quest to progress and tell you where to go next (unless it's possible to skip it and just beeline to the endpoint?)

Letter from Julles Laurdon - same, required to progress.

Kiv's Notes - clearly the same quest, not found, no idea where they could even be, as you go thru several zones. Most likely, either in Port Hunding or Belkarth, but could not find despite scouring all over, either. Note that the room you confront Kiv in is inaccessible once you leave it, but it doesn't seem to be there.

--

Aurelia's Letter - the final Isobel's quest, it's in the Gonfalon inn.

Letter from Vetitia Marcott - same quest, don't recall the location

--

Note to Cynric - the Race for Honor (Garick's Rest delve quest), under one of three rugs when you look for the key. Missable if you grab the key first, dunno about post-quest.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dragonnord wrote: »

Sadly, no. At least not published news.

I hate to mention it, but Tome of the Undaunted was inaccessible for over five years, so the wait might be much longer.

Lorebook access is clearly not a priority, whether that’s in the initial quest creation, QA testing, or fixes for bugs. I don’t think there’s been a time since One Tamriel that a lorebook hasn’t been inaccessible for someone. And just when they seem to be getting better about lorebook QA, they get worse, bugging 7-year-old books and introducing even more bugged entries with companions and Tales of Tribute.

Account-wide Eidetic Memory would solve some of this, but not all - it wouldn’t have helped the Undaunted situation or the Dauntless Bananas (for players with a roster full of non-AD characters) or Rite of the Scion.
  • wolf2017
    wolf2017
    ✭✭

Hey

iirc you can get it if someone has it in its house as furnishing
    I'm Dagerfall Alliance and it's how I got it
    Regards

WFX
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wolf2017 wrote: »

Hey

iirc you can get it if someone has it in its house as furnishing
    I'm Dagerfall Alliance and it's how I got it
    As far as I'm awar, that only works for players on PC-EU, as the Dauntless Bananas -- and its members -- is a PC-EU guild.

PC-NA would potentially be able to do it as members from the EU guild have access to NA, but would require members of the guild to be active on NA. I don't know whether the book was added as a Collectible to the account or sent via mail specifically to their PC-EU accounts. But other servers/platforms, for example, would be out of luck on that front.

@Troodon80 PC | EU
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

I hate to mention it, but Tome of the Undaunted was inaccessible for over five years, so the wait might be much longer.

Lorebook access is clearly not a priority, whether that’s in the initial quest creation, QA testing, or fixes for bugs. I don’t think there’s been a time since One Tamriel that a lorebook hasn’t been inaccessible for someone. And just when they seem to be getting better about lorebook QA, they get worse, bugging 7-year-old books and introducing even more bugged entries with companions and Tales of Tribute.

Account-wide Eidetic Memory would solve some of this, but not all - it wouldn’t have helped the Undaunted situation or the Dauntless Bananas (for players with a roster full of non-AD characters) or Rite of the Scion.

But why they don't add it? Is it on purpose? Because they have added/fixed books reported AFTER the Tale of Undaunted Bananas. So, how come?

I have tagged @ZOS_Kevin five times now with no success. Why avoiding the tag and request for update on this book?

I really don't understand.
    SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone knows where is (or if) The Purities of Mania accessible post-quest?
    (Ember's recruitment quest, it's said to be in the Tor Draioch Arcane Library which is locked out afterwards.)
  • tim77
    tim77
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone knows where is (or if) The Purities of Mania accessible post-quest?
    (Ember's recruitment quest, it's said to be in the Tor Draioch Arcane Library which is locked out afterwards.)

haven't seen one. but maybe you can enter again if you group with someone who is currently in there?
    let me know if you need s.o. to test, have 2 chars left which need to get ember anyway
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

But why they don't add it? Is it on purpose? Because they have added/fixed books reported AFTER the Tale of Undaunted Bananas. So, how come?

I have tagged @ZOS_Kevin five times now with no success. Why avoiding the tag and request for update on this book?

It was the same story with Tome of the Undaunted - other books got fixed, but not that one, despite constant attempts to bring it to the devs’ attention via in-game reports and the forums.

I have no idea how they prioritize these things. There doesn’t seem to be much rhyme or reason sometimes.
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭

It was the same story with Tome of the Undaunted - other books got fixed, but not that one, despite constant attempts to bring it to the devs’ attention via in-game reports and the forums.

I have no idea how they prioritize these things. There doesn’t seem to be much rhyme or reason sometimes.

That's a story with nothing in common besides it being a book, because the unsigned Tome was initially getting replaced by the signed one once you do the quest, so the fix certainly involved lots of stuff to tweak, not just adjusting spawn coordinates. And for books (or other items) which drop under objects, it is also more complicated than that, because there are usually other issues causing clipping/collision failures.

As for how they get prioritized, hard to tell because unfortunately, there is nothing even resembling a bug tracker, but it's clear there are literally tens of thousands of bugs of the same order as the books. Some of those are getting fixed sneakily, with no mention in patch notes at all, e.g., a box and a barrel near the enchanting/jewellery building in Mournhold getting their justice flag set last patch.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

That's a story with nothing in common besides it being a book, because the unsigned Tome was initially getting replaced by the signed one once you do the quest, so the fix certainly involved lots of stuff to tweak, not just adjusting spawn coordinates. And for books (or other items) which drop under objects, it is also more complicated than that, because there are usually other issues causing clipping/collision failures.

As for how they get prioritized, hard to tell because unfortunately, there is nothing even resembling a bug tracker, but it's clear there are literally tens of thousands of bugs of the same order as the books. Some of those are getting fixed sneakily, with no mention in patch notes at all, e.g., a box and a barrel near the enchanting/jewellery building in Mournhold getting their justice flag set last patch.

I can say at least that the unsigned tome did not ever exist on the pedestals where the signed copies are for any of my 18 characters going back at least to 2016-2017 in my personal experience and longer than that according to others. I’m not sure when it existed there and was meant to be replaced by the signed tome, but it was not there at all for me since at least One Tamriel. For all of my characters the unsigned version never existed in the game world at all. The fix was apparently to add it to a different location permanently. If they needed five+ years to come to that conclusion and code the fix, that’s an enormous problem, to my mind. That’s due to the huge difference in order between fixing a book and fixing a barrel in terms of goals set for us within the game. They don’t give us a collection of barrels in our journal like they give us an Eidetic Memory to collect. To give us the Eidetic Memory with a counter tracking it in our journals is to give us a collection to complete, a visible goal to achieve, and care therefore must be taken to make and keep it achievable. The fact that the EM has been impossible for so many players to complete for the majority of the game’s lifespan because they won’t prioritize lorebooks much more than barrels speaks for itself.

I am aware that some players are in a lucky situation where they have gotten books others can’t (I can get the Bananas lorebook myself, for example, despite my collection being impossible to fill for other reasons), but this new patch also just yoinked a seven-year-old lorebook out from under a lot of us as well, which I think probably greatly increased the number of players who can’t finish their EM. And things cannot really be said to be getting any better on the lorebook front, in terms of numbers - they’re bugging more than they fix these days. That’s a real shame, imo, since it speaks to the fact that the process of creating and maintaining EM entries has been faulty in this way for so long and is not getting any more productive, with not just many new bugged entries but also old lorebooks being newly bugged with each patch. I understand there will always be bugs with any game, especially a living one like an MMO, but if they are not improving the processes that have continually generated the same bugs year after year after year, no headway will be made. They will always be stuck in this cycle of trying to clean up yesterday’s books as well as today’s. That’s enormously problematic when the EM is presented as a collection to be filled but is left impossible to complete.
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can say at least that the unsigned tome did not ever exist on the pedestals where the signed copies are for any of my 18 characters going back at least to 2016-2017 in my personal experience and longer than that according to others. I’m not sure when it existed there and was meant to be replaced by the signed tome, but it was not there at all for me since at least One Tamriel. For all of my characters the unsigned version never existed in the game world at all. The fix was apparently to add it to a different location permanently. If they needed five+ years to come to that conclusion and code the fix, that’s an enormous problem, to my mind. That’s due to the huge difference in order between fixing a book and fixing a barrel in terms of goals set for us within the game. They don’t give us a collection of barrels in our journal like they give us an Eidetic Memory to collect. To give us the Eidetic Memory with a counter tracking it in our journals is to give us a collection to complete, a visible goal to achieve, and care therefore must be taken to make and keep it achievable. The fact that the EM has been impossible for so many players to complete for the majority of the game’s lifespan because they won’t prioritize lorebooks much more than barrels speaks for itself.

It doesn't. But you are free to think that eidetic memory should have developer priority over everything else, and nothing that is easier to fix should be until every last book is.

• GeneralEU
    GeneralEU
    ✭✭✭
    Adwig's Journal - could not find, /should/ be related to the The Missing Prowler quest, and by contents, supposed to be in Adwig's "home", but again, I could not find it at all despite scouring the whole place for 2 hours. Suspect it spawns underground.

Dreadsails Communique - same, except supposedly at the ship you firebomb or docks nearby. Again, not found despite scouring the whole place X times.

Adwig's Journal:
    Can confirm bugged

Dreadsails Communique:
    It can be obtained during the "Missing Power" quest, you cannot touch the other notes (otherwise it disappears) in the zone and you have to look around between the wrecks.
    ifd06e89s6f6.jpg
    pa18gy8j6lj0.jpg
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭
    GeneralEU wrote: »

Adwig's Journal:
    Can confirm bugged

Dreadsails Communique:
    It can be obtained during the "Missing Power" quest, you cannot touch the other notes (otherwise it disappears) in the zone and you have to look around between the wrecks.
    ifd06e89s6f6.jpg
    pa18gy8j6lj0.jpg

Dang. That's exactly the spot where I had some OTHER readable (that "ghost/hidden fleet 3" I mentioned) that did not "tick" instead. And after abandoning and retaking the quest, it was no longer there.

• GeneralEU
    GeneralEU
    ✭✭✭
    GeneralEU wrote: »

Adwig's Journal:
    Can confirm bugged

Dreadsails Communique:
    ifd06e89s6f6.jpg
    pa18gy8j6lj0.jpg

Dang. That's exactly the spot where I had some OTHER readable (that "ghost/hidden fleet 3" I mentioned) that did not "tick" instead. And after abandoning and retaking the quest, it was no longer there.

Looking at how easy it is to lose a note or add to our EQ, I am not surprised why people want to share these things as with achievements.
  • Welanduz
    Welanduz
    ✭✭✭
    lonewolf26 wrote: »
    Good news for those who may have missed the "Letter from Lady Arabelle"
    With the High Isle update the note now appears post High Isle prologue quest and is readable on a table in the tent near the quest turn-in spot.

Thx for this info! But i'm old and can't remember where the quest turn-in-spot was.
    So, for all like me :smile: ): The tent is east of Vivec.

greetings,
    Welanduz

Das Leben ist einfach zu kurz um es wirklich ernst zu nehmen!
  • GreenbeanLover
    GreenbeanLover
    Soul Shriven
    Does anyone know a post quest location for "By the Master's Mace"? The wiki is saying Abagarlas but that is only accessed during a Fighters Guild quest. Couldnt find anything on it so I thought I'd ask here.

-Thanks
  • Djennku
    Djennku
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know a post quest location for "By the Master's Mace"? The wiki is saying Abagarlas but that is only accessed during a Fighters Guild quest. Couldnt find anything on it so I thought I'd ask here.

-Thanks

Check the earth forge. Any fighters guild pages you may have missed should be there
    @Djennku, PCNA.

• MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭
    ... Apparently, if you get a tribute upgrade clue on your non-primary, you are SooL.
  • Daniel141182
    SO any location post quest for these
    Note to cynric
    Dreadsail communique
    Adwigs journal
    Royal messangers fate
    rite of scion?
  • tim77
    tim77
    ✭✭✭✭
    apart from
    • Royal messangers fate
    ... I'm missing these, but i expect they are all bugged, either in the first place or post quest:
    • Adwig's Journal
    • Kiv's Notes
    • Letter from Vetitia Marcott
    • Note to Cynric
    • Ode to the Nose of a Woman

damn, i was so close. just missed 2 books before the chapter, which were both fixed with the chapter...

Edited by tim77 on August 4, 2022 5:19PM
  • Djennku
    Djennku
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am still missing Journal of Justiciar Avanaire from Summerset, and with the recent update, it had me unlearn a few books, all of which I could obtain again except for the Royal Messenger's Fate from Wrothgar.

The current chapter I am missing these 6 which are bugged, two of which I failed to realize were in my inventory to be read (note to cynric I never found). They are as follows:

-Adawig's Journal
    -Dreadsails Communique
    -Kiv's Notes
    -Letter from Vetitia Marcott
    -Mysteries of the Aetheric Ammonite
    -Note to Cynric
    -Ode to the nose of a Woman
    @Djennku, PCNA.