The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.4 is available.

Why not an account wide lore for books ?

Rishikesa108
Rishikesa108
✭✭✭✭✭
This would make sense. In fact, some books (many unfortunately) are bugged if they are not accidentally read during the quests related to them. If there was account wide knowledge, they could be acquired simply by doing the quests with other characters. ZOS ... either you give us account wide knowledge of books, or you fix ALL the bugged books once and for all. Please. Thank you
Edited by Rishikesa108 on February 7, 2022 12:48AM
Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
  • Mushroomancer
    Mushroomancer
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't really see the point in making knowledge that the character alone can have account-wide. Achievements make sense because they are not tied to the rules of the in-game world, they are a set of arbitrary "arcade-ish" rewards.

[snip] it's probably best if they just fix all of the bugged books. I feel it's the right call regardless of the account-wide debate, it's just unjustifiable at this point that so many books have been bugged for years now.

[Edited for Baiting]
    Edited by Psiion on February 7, 2022 1:22AM
    PC | EU 1600+ CP

Chews-On-Shrooms - Argonian (EP) | Healer Warden
    I know I have a problem, leave me alone:

Nirya Urayel - Altmer (EP) | Healer/Magicka Templar
    Ulen Favel - Dunmer (EP) | Magicka Nightblade
    Anise Favel - Dunmer (EP) | Magicka Dragonknight
    Vivienne Rielle - Breton (EP) | Hybrid Healer/Magicka Necromancer
    Gaspar Rielle - Breton (DC) | Magicka Sorcerer
    Ulfgar the Foul - Nord (EP) | Tank Necromancer
    Plays-With-Chains - Argonian (EP) | Tank Dragonknight
    Sonje the Wild - Nord (EP) | Tank Warden
    Brutus Lovidicus - Imperial (EP) | Tank Nightblade
    Velms Ienith - Dunmer (EP) | Tank Sorcerer
    Cassius Lanius - Imperial (EP) | Tank/Stamina Templar
    Shakar-gro-Khazgur - Orc (DC) | Stamina Dragonknight
    Liette Nightwind - Bosmer (AD) | Stamina Nightblade
    Ja'khar the Salty - Khajiit (EP) | Stamina Necromancer
    Saadia al-Tava - Redguard (EP) | Stamina Sorcerer
    Gwinas Hemp-Burner - Bosmer (EP) | Stamina Warden
    Grand Master Crafter, All Dungeon HM up to Stonethorn, vCrag HM, vDSA, vMA, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vHOF HM, vAS+2, Gryphon Heart, vBRP, vSS HM (Extinguisher of Flames),
    vKA HM (Shield of the North), vRG 1/3HM
    Options
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    how about no?
    after years of everyday whining and a billion threads,zos decided (very bad imo) to give to people-who obviously dont play,dont have time,dont care- some (if not 98%) account wide achievements

now you asked more, what's next? maybe unlock the achievement from areas,arenas or vet dungeons that you never step foot in? why dont ask this?
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

Options
  • SeaUnicorn
    SeaUnicorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuz some lore books give progression on crafting
    Options
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaUnicorn wrote: »

Of course not motifs lorebooks.
    Of course I am speaking about Eidetic memory books
    Of course.
    Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
    Options
  • SeaUnicorn
    SeaUnicorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not talking about Motif books, I am talking about Skill Books, they are Eidetic Memory and listed as a category under it alongside with all the rest of Eidetic memory books.

scxqehh6qmdt.png
    Options
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaUnicorn wrote: »
    It's not just crafting, it's all skill lines (or a lot, anyway). I understand that they offer progression, but I would also say that if you're using the RNG of whether or not you can find any of those books in any given 24 hour period in order to, for some reason, exclusively level your skill lines... you'll be waiting a very long time. One option is to make them account wide. This fixes all bugged book issues past, present (as of writing), and future. But I also agree wholeheartedly that they should fix the bugged books.

However, and this is a pain-point for those of us who do collect them and have near complete collections... some of these books have been bugged for years and ZOS seems to be in no hurry to fix the core of the issue (why books that you read or are placed in your inventory under the quest section (which you read as it is placed into your inventory) are not marked in Eidetic Memory or why they would implement brand new books in old quests that you can now never get). Instead, every patch, ZOS introduces a host of new bugged books. I would honestly accept any solution that allows me to get the last 2-3 bugged books.
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
    Options
  • Gandalf_72
    Gandalf_72
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @Rishikesa108 and @Troodon80.

There are some discussions in which, for several years now, buggy books have been reported, which have never been fixed by ZOS:

Eidetic Memory Bugs/Comments/Help
    Eidetic Memory Bugs/Comments/Help, Volume Two
    My discussion

Please ZOS, give us account wide knowledge of books.
    or you fix ALL the bugged books once and for all. Please. Thank you
    I'm sorry.
    I honestly don't think it's plausible and realistic to wait a fix of all the bugged books.
    Instead, the idea proposed by @Rishikesa108 and @Troodon80 is the definitive solution!

PC | EU
    Options
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    method__01 wrote: »
    how about no?
    after years of everyday whining and a billion threads,zos decided (very bad imo) to give to people-who obviously dont play,dont have time,dont care- some (if not 98%) account wide achievements

now you asked more, what's next? maybe unlock the achievement from areas,arenas or vet dungeons that you never step foot in? why dont ask this?

If players aren't doing the content, how exactly are account wide achievements doing anything for them? You literally have to spend the time to earn the achievement on a character for it to be unlocked. So, you did spend that time, just maybe you didn't spend it on your main.

To the point of this thread though, having eidetic memory books account wide would be great. As others have pointed out there are bugged books and having an opportunity to unlock them properly on a second character would be awesome. But even further than that, there are very heavy RNG dependent books that have a chance of showing up in bookcases. Those, just like the monster trophy drops, are dependent on time played activating bookshelves than any level of skill. Activating one of those on an alt and still needing to do so on the primary character for an account is nonsense alongside other account wide achievements.

This should not include the books that advance the Mages guild skill line, or any motifs.
    Options
  • tohopka_eso
    tohopka_eso
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd prefer motifs more. Can't tell how may times I accidentally opened one up on the wrong character.
    Options
  • megasurge93
    megasurge93
    ✭✭✭
    I recently started lorebook hunting for the Eidetic Memory books and have discovered several already that seem to be bugged as mentioned. It might be nice to do the accountwide lorebook knowledge for these? I could see keeping Eidetic Memory itself something locked behind the quest for each character but the lorebooks themselves can be discovered. Or like mentioned, just fix the various bugged books. Either way would be great!
    "Illusion is the first of all pleasures." ~Oscar Wilde
    Options
  • Kidgangster101
    Kidgangster101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    how about no?

So let me get this right..... You say no because people didn't earn these achievements, skyshards, ect ect ect ect? You do realize to unlock these things on alts means they already accomplished them correct? Or are you forgetting that because you haven't got sun in the past year?

This game is a very casual laid back mmo..... So yes in fact you should cater to those players. As long as they complete things on one toon it shouldn't matter if they choose to unlock it for another.

Same with all the gear. If I do the hardest content in the game on my tank..... How can I put them in a shared bank to give the gear to my alt healer? My healer did nothing to "earn" the right to equip that gear. What about cp..... My newly created level 1 toon somehow knows he has over 1000 cp!? Yeah nice argument bud.

The fact is people have to take care of their family, or work, or God forbid they do something outside rather than sit inside to play the game everyday. Shame on them right!? Maybe they should quit their job so they can log in more!?

Just saying man players play games to escape a reality of real life. Maybe don't be so hard on a casual FREE TO PLAY game community........
    Options
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *Looks at Mage's Skill Line purchase in Crown Store*
    Options
  • BlissfulDeluge
    BlissfulDeluge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    how about no?

You know what? You're right. We SHOULD ask them to make every other achievement account-wide.

I wholeheartedly agree with the OP. Lorebooks, especially the Eidetic Memory should be made account-wide. Some lorebooks simply aren't available after completing certain quests, while others are straight-up invisible to some characters and visible to others.
    Former completionist with all achievements unlocked up until Update 29 (Flames of Ambition). Avid RPer, writer, and former Breton lover. Then Legacy of the Bretons was released and I realized just how boring and uninspired the Bretons are according to the writers.
    Options
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP, with the following stipulations:

(1) Lorebooks specifically giving progress for the Mages Guild, should remain character specific. Crafting motifs should also remain character specific.

(2) Books that actually grant a skill point upon being read for the first time should be separated out into a different category, and should also remain character specific. (I believe these are all in the vanilla-game content anyway, not in DLC? Have any skill books been added by DLC, and are any in DLC-only areas?)

(3) All other Eidetic Memory books should be account-wide.
    Options
  • Saieden
    Saieden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *Looks at Mage's Skill Line purchase in Crown Store*

This is the only real answer. They clearly can't simply decouple the tracking for lore books from Eidetic memory, and they won't remove any pay (3000 crowns per character) for "convenience" from the game, so that takes precedence.

We'll see when the achievement QnA post comes just how committed they are to the current implementation, which more and more feels to me like they're trying to make alt grinds even more dull and tedious to incentivise people to purchase these upgrades. It is a significant regression in QoL as it is on PTS, especially if you're on console, and basically wipes all the progress they've made in this regard imo.
    Options
  • Onyx_Werewolf_Gnome
    Onyx_Werewolf_Gnome
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree
    Options
  • tim77
    tim77
    ✭✭✭✭
    71xj2ellcdib.png

Agree. Like i wrote on another post. It's such a big missed chance... :(

Options
  • Mushroomancer
    Mushroomancer
    ✭✭✭✭
    jle30303 wrote: »
    (2) Books that actually grant a skill point upon being read for the first time should be separated out into a different category, and should also remain character specific. (I believe these are all in the vanilla-game content anyway, not in DLC? Have any skill books been added by DLC, and are any in DLC-only areas?)

There are books in Morrowind and Elsweyr that give levels for all three Warden and Necromancer skill-lines respectively. Other than that, I'm not sure about skill books for other lines.
    PC | EU 1600+ CP

Chews-On-Shrooms - Argonian (EP) | Healer Warden
    I know I have a problem, leave me alone:

Nirya Urayel - Altmer (EP) | Healer/Magicka Templar
    Ulen Favel - Dunmer (EP) | Magicka Nightblade
    Anise Favel - Dunmer (EP) | Magicka Dragonknight
    Vivienne Rielle - Breton (EP) | Hybrid Healer/Magicka Necromancer
    Gaspar Rielle - Breton (DC) | Magicka Sorcerer
    Ulfgar the Foul - Nord (EP) | Tank Necromancer
    Plays-With-Chains - Argonian (EP) | Tank Dragonknight
    Sonje the Wild - Nord (EP) | Tank Warden
    Brutus Lovidicus - Imperial (EP) | Tank Nightblade
    Velms Ienith - Dunmer (EP) | Tank Sorcerer
    Cassius Lanius - Imperial (EP) | Tank/Stamina Templar
    Shakar-gro-Khazgur - Orc (DC) | Stamina Dragonknight
    Liette Nightwind - Bosmer (AD) | Stamina Nightblade
    Ja'khar the Salty - Khajiit (EP) | Stamina Necromancer
    Saadia al-Tava - Redguard (EP) | Stamina Sorcerer
    Gwinas Hemp-Burner - Bosmer (EP) | Stamina Warden
    Grand Master Crafter, All Dungeon HM up to Stonethorn, vCrag HM, vDSA, vMA, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vHOF HM, vAS+2, Gryphon Heart, vBRP, vSS HM (Extinguisher of Flames),
    vKA HM (Shield of the North), vRG 1/3HM
    Options
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jle30303 wrote: »

There are books in Morrowind and Elsweyr that give levels for all three Warden and Necromancer skill-lines respectively. Other than that, I'm not sure about skill books for other lines.

There are two skill books for each class, and there are two skill books for each craft.

But for the class books, you'll only realize it when you are on that class. If you are on a different class, it will look just like a normal book.
    The Moot Councillor
    Options