Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Dark Brotherhood - somewhat disturbing

• Blackwing_Soul
    Blackwing_Soul
    ✭✭✭
    Too many mmos (even this one sometimes) force you into the role of a shining white knight when honestly all I want to do is shank a fool. Thank you, Blade of Woe. Thank you.
  • WolfingHour
    WolfingHour
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not bothered by the gruesomeness of the blade of woe, but find it underwhelming that even though we are highly efficient assassins, we don't get to kill our marks using other means.

Poisoning, choking, pack of wild wamasu...

I'm not asking to redo hitman inside ESO. Just a little variety would be nice.
  • IzzyStardust
    IzzyStardust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well; we are an assassins’ guild.

I’m sure if you prefer to smother people with a guar pet, Sithis would be okay with that.
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When they launched the necromancer class, I don't think this is what they meant
  • IzzyStardust
    IzzyStardust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phinix1 wrote: »
    Don't use the blade of woe.

There is that option, of course. It means not using it will not allow me to gain achievements connected to it, but I guess I could skip those.

Just pretend you're helping a friend scratch an itch with it and they are so satisfied that they fall over from pure happiness!

B)

Nice.
  • worrallj
    worrallj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone giving OP a hard time:

ESO dark brotherhood is quite different from past games.

Because ESO was done "Theme park style," people tend to get shunted into these questlines even if they're not very enthusiastic about it.

Also in past games you could actually turn the DB in to law enforcement if you decided to, plus they never even approached you unless you went and did a murder on your own. In ESO they are not subtle about it at all. There's a whole zone with nothing to do in it but assassinate randos.Takes all the fun out of it IMHO.
  • deepseamk20b14_ESO
    deepseamk20b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You run around and kill people and creatures. Did you think killing another living being meant sunshine and rainbows would come out of the wounds? You want to assassinate people but not make it look like you’re assassinating people? If you can’t handle violence like that you shouldn’t be playing the game or any game like it.
    Hey everyone! Look! It's a signature!
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is there so much necroing lately of old threads? And where do these people find these threads?!
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • twilightwarrick
    twilightwarrick
    ✭✭✭
    oh for gods sake. better go play teddy bears picnic
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean there's an option to turn off the assassination camera in the camera options.
    PvP needs more love.
  • morrowjen
    morrowjen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that the DB animations disturb people. I can understand the psychological aspect of murdering an npc (as opposed to just killing them in a straight up battle) bothering people but the animations themselves seem pretty tame to me. The final big kill animation at the end of the DB questline is one of the most satisfying ones I've ever experienced (it never gets old).

Of course, if you want something like "Dark Brotherhood/Thieves Guild for good guys" you probably need to play Skyrim and install the mod(s) for that. Mods are one of the things that make regular TES games so much fun but playing online you lose that ability to dictate and change content to suit your preferences.

• nhisso
    nhisso
    ✭✭✭✭
    So you're playing a game where you kill people and creatures all day long but get triggered by the DB animation? LOOOOOL!!!!!!
    This generation.
  • Anti_Virus
    Anti_Virus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the necromancers are at work in this thread.
    Power Wealth And Influence.
  • EölMPK
    EölMPK
    ✭✭✭
    Being very honest here, I cant see a problem to have a enable / disable button for those animations.
    I love this dlc tho.
    Eöl[MPK]
    PS4
    Grungebr - Altmer magicka templar
    Eölbr - Dunmer magicka necro
    Drizztbr - Khajiit stamina nb
    "In my thoughts and in my dreams, they're always in my mind
    These songs of hobbits, dwarves and men, and elves
    Come close your eyes, you can see them too...
    "

• wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ausmack2014 I. I have to admit that being a HSP I found DB felt like I was going against my nature. I try very hard to not step on ants. I dont watch violent movies or horror etc

I must say that I did cringe at times doing the DB but I got used to it after telling myself over and over that I was only killing pixals not real persons. It was a lot of fun once i let go of that and embraced my khajiit's inner assasin.

take a walk on the dark side 🐾
  • JiKama
    JiKama
    ✭✭✭✭
    a guild member of mine said there's an option to disable the BoW cutscenes. It doesn't bother me all too much, but I can see how it could bother some. Just browse the settings and it should be there somewhere :P
  • SharranAes
    SharranAes
    ✭✭✭
    Necromancer class in full swing, necroing years old threads :O

Anyways, since it is necroed; Glad to see the game developers didn't cave and give us a rainbow gun turning the target into a pink fluffy rabbit based on this complaint

-Aes
  • Koronach
    Koronach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I find some people on here more disturbing. Using the games racism to hide their own and claiming it's "RPing" while hardly or ever touching the actual RP section of the forums.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    thread_necromancer_card_3.jpg
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It felt like somebody is using blade of woe on Server and blade got stuck inside, and so it jerks and lags when that killer is trying to take blade off the body.
  • Fata1moose
    Fata1moose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was actually hoping they could ramp up the violence with melee abilities. Destruction staves have burning to ashes and shocked skeletons so I always thought having something like dismemberment with melee weapons could make the combat feel more visceral. Obviously gore toggles are always welcomed in games for those that don't want it.
  • Firemantim
    Firemantim
    ✭✭
    Esoriel wrote: »
    xaraan wrote: »

All I would say is:

It would be a bigger problem IMO if the cult of assassins was not disturbing. Trying to make a group of people not seem that way that should is a really bad thing.

Turn off the kill animations, it's in settings.

And last: it's a mature game.

The DB just feels like something that should have been implemented in a way for players to oppose it or choose not to oppose it. Being able to investigate murders and find out who did it which would lead up to discovering the DB and then ways to take them out. I see it as a very disgusting and disturbing thing in the game that I would be more than willing to rally an army and march against, but I can't.

I think many players feel that there is no way to effectively oppose it as a player or none that I have seen yet. There is only the option of joining or not joining. You're going to see a lot of players in every town going around murdering and you can't do anything about it. I have never seen a guard successfully take out a player that got caught murdering. Its a DLC that players paid for and because the DB was offered that way instead of rather a new antagonist presence players could oppose through a story line then it seems counter productive to introduce a way for players to interrupt any kind of player controlled interactions associated with the DB. So because the DB was introduced like that, how could they give players who oppose the DB a way to effectively oppose it more than just going through a story line? I have to often see players murdering in town while I'm doing writs. My character witnessed an injustice and I can't even call guards to come to the area to intervene. It just feels like a helpless situation every time I see it.

Being able to "take them out" would work fine in a single player game, but just isn't feasible in a multiplayer game. You'd still have other players doing the storyline so even if there was a situation where you could take out the DB, it would feel like nothing was accomplished in the end.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don’t use the blade of woe simple or just don’t join the dark brotherhood in my experience I have never known assassins to be anything but blood thirsty it is what the dark brotherhood is all about skyrim assassins creed lmfao 😂
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And personally I love the blade of woe kill my vampire assassin is the dark brotherhood 😎
  • WacArnold
    WacArnold
    ✭✭✭
    You live sheltered lives?
    Xbox One - North American - Ebonheart Pact
    Anti-Pop Lv 50 Magicka Nightblade Dark Elf
    WacArnold Lv 50 Magicka Templar Argonian
  • Rain_Greyraven
    Rain_Greyraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koronach wrote: »
    Honestly I find some people on here more disturbing. Using the games racism to hide their own and claiming it's "RPing" while hardly or ever touching the actual RP section of the forums.

Oh finally we have all found the arbitrator of who is racist and who isn't...it's amazing how you can peer into someones thoughts to know their true intent.

I know I know...everyone you don't like is evil and must be destroyed.
    Edited by Rain_Greyraven on June 4, 2019 1:16AM
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard

So you want to be a game developer? Here is the best way to go about it.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anyone who doesn't like DB does not have to do it. I've completed the quest line and leveled it all the way on one character but have no interest in doing it on the other 14 because I didn't enjoy it.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Koronach
    Koronach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koronach wrote: »

Oh finally we have all found the arbitrator of who is racist and who isn't...it's amazing how you can peer into someones thoughts to know their true intent.

I know I know...everyone you don't like is evil and must be destroyed.

Sure, you can't tell me those people don't exist. By all means keep defending them though.
  • linoge63
    linoge63
    ✭✭✭
    It changes things a little if you overwrite who the target is in your minds eye.

-- Factory farm animal abusers

- Lab animal product testers

etc

Renaming and Reframing is a powerful tool used in NLP and Hypno and can be used copiously in vid games

Edited by linoge63 on June 4, 2019 1:31AM
  • DeathStalker_X
    DeathStalker_X
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, I'll have to check it out, lol! I haven't played much of DB, simply because I don't see a lot of purpose in stealing stuff once you're established in the game. I don't mind the assassinations so much, as long as they're not "decent" characters (I always hated the quests where you have to choose who dies).