Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

Dark Brotherhood - somewhat disturbing

• Ethromelb14_ESO
    Ethromelb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do understand what the OP is getting at, and as a parent, it's for this very reason that I don't allow my children to play these types of games. However, I'm an adult, and to me it's nothing different from going to see a horror movie - except it's interactive. If I can't handle it, don't get it. That's why we have the option. The question is: How many of us are willing to sacrifice our mental comfort for the sake of playing some new content? It appears to me ... quite a few.

This is why we have options. People should not straddle the fence, by wanting to voice their conscience, while at the same time continuing to play the very thing that's troubling them. That's like you complaining about getting dirty in the mud, and yet we still see you swimming.

I'm also perplexed at how anyone could not have known what to expect with content revolving solely around the Dark Brotherhood. Does not their reputation precede them, even in the real world. So come on ... We knew what we were in store for. I saw not threads or posts requesting for Dark Brotherhood not to be too violent. I'm just saying ...

Otherwise, while we're at it, let's talk about all the other successful titles and franchises like Call of Duty, Fallout, GTA, The Evil Within, and Wolverine.

I think, ZoS, offered just the right amount of gruesome without going too far beyond what other games have.
    Edited by Ethromelb14_ESO on June 7, 2016 5:20PM
    Motto: Make deceivers believers.

Strength of character is not a physical thing. -E
    Walking a mile in someone else's shoes, has nothing to do with the path taken. -E

An accusation of elitism, is an indirect recognition of one's own inferiority. -E

The best way to prove someone wrong, is to do better yourself. -E

I keep forgetting to remember to get a photographic memory.
    Options
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Feel free to go back to fishing, picking flowers and catching bugs!

You should not mock alchemists. Alchemy is the heart of the DB business... after all where do you think all those poisons come from? :P DB/MT has always had alchemy as one of its most important skills.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
    Options
  • dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm probably going to be a voice in the wilderness here, but I have to say that I find certain aspects of Dark Brotherhood to be disturbing.

The whole 'run around and knife people in the back' thing in particular. While I've had no issue in the past with sneaking and stealing (which is quite fun) I find the graphics for the DB assassinations to be very confronting. Was it really necessary, in this age of excess and graphic violence online, to add this disturbing level of cutaway?

As I say, I'll probably be in the minority with this opinion, but it is getting to the stage for me that I probably won't continue with the DB guild line because of this. I just wish there was an option to not have these cutaways show.

PS: I knew it was an iffy opinion to post, since so many people enjoy this sort of visceral graphic gaming. Yes, I did indeed play Skyrim for a little while - not for long as my computer at the time couldn't really handle it. I don't recall it being so bloodthirsty but perhaps time has glossed over the memory. I won't stop playing this very enjoyable game because of one small aspect, and as has been suggested, I can avoid it personally. I was literally just voicing an opinion on that small aspect. Its fine if you disagree, but if you could do it without being a poopoohead that would be nice.
    If you find THAT disturbing... wait for what I had in mind for a new DLC. XD
    Earthdawn Game Master Role Play Quotes by me:
    "If it looks like a bear, if it feels like a bear, smells and tastes like a bear, then be VERY aware, it could be something ENTIRELY different..."
    "Be careful what you wish for, you might get plenty of it..."
    Options
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You should not mock alchemists. Alchemy is the heart of the DB business... after all where do you think all those poisons come from? :P DB/MT has always had alchemy as one of its most important skills.

Poisons can be bought from the merchant in the thief's den for example - there are more ways than just alchemy to get to them.
    Edited by Lysette on June 7, 2016 6:32PM
    Options
  • dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, go back to playing candy crush then. This is a watered down PG version of Elder Scrolls already ffs.
    Of a watered down version of a watered down version of the books, indeed.

As said, if only he could think of what I had in mind... :P
    "If it looks like a bear, if it feels like a bear, smells and tastes like a bear, then be VERY aware, it could be something ENTIRELY different..."
    Options
  • Justice31st
    Justice31st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, go back to playing candy crush then. This is a watered down PG version of Elder Scrolls already ffs.

Seriously, the combat animations are already most immature I have already seen in an supposedly mature game for awhile now. How did ESO even get an mature rating? You can't even buy skooma lol?
    "The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you."
    Options
  • mike_de
    mike_de
    ✭✭✭
    All Brotherhood quests in all elder scrolls games are deeply disturbing. I don't know how Bethesda get their age certification for minors in Germany with that. ;)

It's shows, no tester ever played any Brotherhood quests in Oblivion and Skyrim. In my opinion, it depends on role playing, and the view your char has on the world, if you play the quest lines, or not.

So I am very relaxed about that. If somebody wants to play, it, he should do it. If you don't like it, don't play it or ... even don't buy it. I am against censoring video games. They should be sold and shown, as the developers intended them to be.
    Options
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do understand what the OP is getting at, and as a parent, it's for this very reason that I don't allow my children to play these types of games. However, I'm an adult, and to me it's nothing different from going to see a horror movie - except it's interactive. If I can't handle it, don't get it. That's why we have the option. The question is: How many of us are willing to sacrifice our mental comfort for the sake of playing some new content? It appears to me ... quite a few.

This is why we have options. People should not straddle the fence, by wanting to voice their conscience, while at the same time continuing to play the very thing that's troubling them. That's like you complaining about getting dirty in the mud, and yet we still see you swimming.

I'm also perplexed at how anyone could not have known what to expect with content revolving solely around the Dark Brotherhood. Does not their reputation precede them, even in the real world. So come on ... We knew what we were in store for. I saw not threads or posts requesting for Dark Brotherhood not to be too violent. I'm just saying ...

Otherwise, while we're at it, let's talk about all the other successful titles and franchises like Call of Duty, Fallout, GTA, The Evil Within, and Wolverine.

I think, ZoS, offered just the right amount of gruesome without going too far beyond what other games have.

This is a role-playing game. And the very essense of rpgs is giving players a choice.
    Imo there just should be all kinds of new content, not just "good" or "evil", but on the other hand, TG and DB were available for players in previous games and they do expect to find these factions in this one.
    Then there's another thing. DB was a part of TES universe for a while, and was playable in the last 2 games. Its here to stay, so to speak. And s we all know, DB is an assassins sect. Imo, showing such faction in more ligh-hearted way would much more twisted that any gore. Like... Do you think that murder should be shown as a nice and pleasant thing?
    From roleplay perspective, its a nice way to flesh out the character's personality and their drama, for example. Will they enjoy their killing sprees or regret accepting DB's offer? Joining DB might be like a deal with Devil, considering that (questline spoiler)
    Sithis claims souls of his worshippers, even if they betrayed him.
    Of course, M-rated games are not meant to be played by children. But not everything in the world should be children-friendly, and this is why we have rating systems.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
    Options
  • dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    But WHAT is so disturbing about it???
    We do FAR worse, on the streets alone.
    Options
  • Commish
    Commish
    ✭✭✭
    I'm probably going to be a voice in the wilderness here, but I have to say that I find certain aspects of Dark Brotherhood to be disturbing.

The whole 'run around and knife people in the back' thing in particular. While I've had no issue in the past with sneaking and stealing (which is quite fun) I find the graphics for the DB assassinations to be very confronting. Was it really necessary, in this age of excess and graphic violence online, to add this disturbing level of cutaway?

As I say, I'll probably be in the minority with this opinion, but it is getting to the stage for me that I probably won't continue with the DB guild line because of this. I just wish there was an option to not have these cutaways show.

PS: I knew it was an iffy opinion to post, since so many people enjoy this sort of visceral graphic gaming. Yes, I did indeed play Skyrim for a little while - not for long as my computer at the time couldn't really handle it. I don't recall it being so bloodthirsty but perhaps time has glossed over the memory. I won't stop playing this very enjoyable game because of one small aspect, and as has been suggested, I can avoid it personally. I was literally just voicing an opinion on that small aspect. Its fine if you disagree, but if you could do it without being a poopoohead that would be nice.

I get what you are saying and have delayed starting this DLC myself for those reasons. I understand people enjoy this level of graphic violence and that is their choice, but I believe what you put in your head, your mind, stays there. It doesn't go away. I'm not saying it has a negative affect on people or makes them do crazy things.
    I just don't want those images in my head.

I played and enjoyed Skyrim & still do, but only did Dark Brotherhood once. Having to choose one of those three hooded, pleading captives at the start to kill, especially with what is in the news in this day and age is just not a game to me, and I don't find it fun.

I think one big difference in types of players is that many are there for the action of combat and many for the story. I love the story and I find my characters taking on some aspect of me as I engage in that story. I find it hard to let go of some of the moral implications of my characters actions, since it reflects to some degree a part of me.

Of course I don't mind farming the poisons mats and selling them at outrageous prices for the first few weeks of the release. And I have no problem squishing big bugs to earn lots of gold!
    Options
  • dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Commish wrote: »
    I get what you are saying and have delayed starting this DLC myself for those reasons.
    I believe i am the one who has troubles finding anything disturbing in it.
    Must be my autism, i cannot relate to such things as fear or horror...?
    Options
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Commish wrote: »

I get what you are saying and have delayed starting this DLC myself for those reasons. I understand people enjoy this level of graphic violence and that is their choice, but I believe what you put in your head, your mind, stays there. It doesn't go away. I'm not saying it has a negative affect on people or makes them do crazy things.
    I just don't want those images in my head.

I played and enjoyed Skyrim & still do, but only did Dark Brotherhood once. Having to choose one of those three hooded, pleading captives at the start to kill, especially with what is in the news in this day and age is just not a game to me, and I don't find it fun.

I think one big difference in types of players is that many are there for the action of combat and many for the story. I love the story and I find my characters taking on some aspect of me as I engage in that story. I find it hard to let go of some of the moral implications of my characters actions, since it reflects to some degree a part of me.

Of course I don't mind farming the poisons mats and selling them at outrageous prices for the first few weeks of the release. And I have no problem squishing big bugs to earn lots of gold!

Well, I solved that task in Skyrim by "over-achieving" as Astrid put it - those were all bad people, and I took all their lives and good, treated them equally. If I would have chosen just one, and let the others get away with their doings, this would have been unfair - so I killed all 3 of them.
    Options
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skyrim has kill cam too. I find this addition to be pretty gosh darn cool.
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
    Options
  • finalkingdom
    heh i never minded any form of gore in games but i guess it wouldn't hurt if they made an option to remove the gore of the animation for those a bit more sensitive to those kind of things. At the same time the game is rated M for a reason sop its the kind of things you need to expect from the game.
    Options
  • dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Man, anyone remembers Soldier of Fortune?
    You could blow someone's head off, or his leg, pretty nifty, that game was, for being so far back in time.
    Options
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its almost like this content isnt for some of you. And you might just have to wait your turn for something that speaks to you and your characters.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
    Options
  • dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me, @Korah_Eaglecry ?
    Options
  • Commish
    Commish
    ✭✭✭
    heh i never minded any form of gore in games but i guess it wouldn't hurt if they made an option to remove the gore of the animation for those a bit more sensitive to those kind of things. At the same time the game is rated M for a reason sop its the kind of things you need to expect from the game.

I understand it's rated "M" for a reason. I'm not naive, and that's not the issue. I would not deny others the content.
    It may just be the way my brain works, but I can recall images from years/decades ago that I would just as soon forget. The older I get the more choosey I get about what I add to the collection up there.
    Options
  • dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    But still you are offended in some way by what you see?
    How does that work from a rational point of view?

In everyday's life, FAR more horrible things happen, but you are offended by a virtual happening?
    This i can't understand, I'm sorry.
    Options
  • Commish
    Commish
    ✭✭✭
    But still you are offended in some way by what you see?
    How does that work from a rational point of view?

In everyday's life, FAR more horrible things happen, but you are offended by a virtual happening?
    This i can't understand, I'm sorry.

I don't condone horrible things being done to people. I don't believe that when horrible things happen that they don't matter.
    I never once said I was offended.

And you are missing the point. I choose not to put imagery of horrible images in to my mind if I can help it. It's not a denial of it happening, I just don't to choose to live with it in my head.

When I hear a report, read a newspaper article, see a Cable News broad cast of some terrible event, I get the info I need to understand what has happened but I don't wallow in a 24 hour news cycle of the latest horrible/ traumatic/terrible event. If you read the research done on the capabilities of the human mind to deal with tragedy on a global scale you would know why it's not healthy.

In the same way I want to play the fantasy based games like ESO but choose to put a limit on how much and what I am willing to make a memory of. Again, if you read the brain research on how memories are made they are tied to heightened levels of emotions - joy, anger, happiness, excitement etc.
    There are just some things I try to avoid making memories of.

Because your right - there is enough of it in the real world that I can't avoid and have no choice in.
    Options
  • dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Commish I'm sorry, i did not put it right, I mean, you feel 'disturbed', as per the topic's title.

And thank you for explaining, it gives me some insight in the whole.
    Much appreciated. :)
    Options
  • Detector
    Detector
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fatality animation of BOW - it's cool. Need more brutal for ESO. Really.
    Edited by Detector on June 7, 2016 10:42PM
    Options
  • Van_0S
    Van_0S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't use the blade of woe.

There is that option, of course. It means not using it will not allow me to gain achievements connected to it, but I guess I could skip those.

OP, press block when you use blade of woe. It automatically cancels the animation and the target is dead at that instance.

Edit:
    I sometimes do this trick when there are many guards around.
    Edited by Van_0S on June 7, 2016 10:46PM
    Options
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It would be nice to have a toggle for gore. I don't care for gore in games because I always think it looks stupid. Violence is a different matter. The coolest ESO moment thus far is when the Orc King but a sword through that one guys chest. That was an awesome moment. However I'm not a fan of the animation where your guy taps your victim on the shoulder then stabs him repeatedly. That's the action of a thug, not an assassin.
    Options
  • EZgoin76
    EZgoin76
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find killing jackals in Alik'r Desert more disturbing. They sound like puppy dogs. Man that just ain't right.
    I want to change the world. I'm just to lazy to do it.
    Options
  • dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice to have a toggle for gore. I don't care for gore in games because I always think it looks stupid. Violence is a different matter. The coolest ESO moment thus far is when the Orc King but a sword through that one guys chest. That was an awesome moment. However I'm not a fan of the animation where your guy taps your victim on the shoulder then stabs him repeatedly. That's the action of a thug, not an assassin.
    TOGGLE, this I can DEFFO agree on.
    Good one, brother.
    +1 agree.
    Options
  • Commish
    Commish
    ✭✭✭
    TOGGLE, this I can DEFFO agree on.
    Good one, brother.
    +1 agree.

Agree
    Options
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »

Poisons can be bought from the merchant in the thief's den for example - there are more ways than just alchemy to get to them.

Yet alchemy has always been a staple skill for DB characters in the series. There's a reason they keep a spider in the pens, not only in this version of the game but in Skyrim as well. My only point is, no reason to knock alchemy. Its useful, and you can pick the stuff while you're killing things. That's what I do.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
    Options
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Et tu Brute?

No actually stabbing someone repeatedly -IS- the action of an assassin. An assassin wants to make sure he didn't botch the job, and run away before the mark is assured to be dead. There are historic accounts of this, and historic knowledge of training assassins underwent specifically to stab more than once. In fact, they would at times send more than one assassin, so that both (or more) could do the stabbing to make sure the job was done. While medicine wasn't what it is today, believe it or not people did survive stab wounds. Personally, I like the blade of woe animations, they really give it the right style I think. Its a lot better than the animation of overwing and looking away from the mark that you get from a heavy attack in this game.
    <And plenty more>
    Options
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

A watered down version of the other ES games.They got pretty rugged.lol.
    Options