The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Dark Brotherhood - somewhat disturbing

ausmack2014
ausmack2014
✭✭✭
I'm probably going to be a voice in the wilderness here, but I have to say that I find certain aspects of Dark Brotherhood to be disturbing.

The whole 'run around and knife people in the back' thing in particular. While I've had no issue in the past with sneaking and stealing (which is quite fun) I find the graphics for the DB assassinations to be very confronting. Was it really necessary, in this age of excess and graphic violence online, to add this disturbing level of cutaway?

As I say, I'll probably be in the minority with this opinion, but it is getting to the stage for me that I probably won't continue with the DB guild line because of this. I just wish there was an option to not have these cutaways show.

PS: I knew it was an iffy opinion to post, since so many people enjoy this sort of visceral graphic gaming. Yes, I did indeed play Skyrim for a little while - not for long as my computer at the time couldn't really handle it. I don't recall it being so bloodthirsty but perhaps time has glossed over the memory. I won't stop playing this very enjoyable game because of one small aspect, and as has been suggested, I can avoid it personally. I was literally just voicing an opinion on that small aspect. Its fine if you disagree, but if you could do it without being a poopoohead that would be nice.
Edited by ausmack2014 on June 7, 2016 7:19AM
  • SleepyTroll
    SleepyTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't use the blade of woe.
    Options
  • Foxesz
    Foxesz
    ✭✭✭
    I just wish there was an option to not have these cutaways show.
    In most cases you can loot the body after the kill. However you can immediately press E after pressing X to loot the body and "skip" the kill animation. Not guaranteed to always work as there isn't always loot, but it's something. :)
    I'm a roleplayer through and through, questions regarding that are always welcome!
    Options
  • ausmack2014
    ausmack2014
    ✭✭✭

There is that option, of course. It means not using it will not allow me to gain achievements connected to it, but I guess I could skip those.
    Options
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm probably going to be a voice in the wilderness here, but I have to say that I find certain aspects of Dark Brotherhood to be quite disturbing.

The whole 'run around and knife people in the back' thing in particular. While I've had no issue in the past with sneaking and stealing (which is quite fun) I find the graphics for the DB assassinations to be very confronting. Was it really necessary, in this age of excess and graphic violence online, to add this disturbing level of cutaway?

As I say, I'll probably be in the minority with this opinion, but it is getting to the stage for me that I probably won't continue with the DB guild line because of this. I just wish there was an option to not have these cutaways show.
    Didn't you see the rating of the game? It's even at the bottom of the forums.
    #MOREORBS
    Options
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm probably going to be a voice in the wilderness here, but I have to say that I find certain aspects of Dark Brotherhood to be quite disturbing.

You're not alone my friend.
    Options
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oddly enough, found sticking the blade through someone's head, kind of disturbing too, considering how many npc & monsters killed during other quests. Guess the non DB quest kills are not quite as personal, if that is the right way to describe it.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
    Options
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree with the OP, that there is not really a need for such graphics in any game, but it is not the main story line and nobody is forced to play the Dark Brotherhood DLC. There have been more offensive games out there and it is a personal choice whether to avoid what you find offensive or not.

The rating does not mean that no-one has the right to be offended, we all have different opinions on what we like or do not like to see in a game. I also think this level of imagery is a sign that we are relying less on our own imaginations and more on modern games to supply every little detail to us.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
    Options
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I take it youve never played an Elder Scrolls game before. Because lobbing heads and limbs off or just down right eviscerate an NPC has been something Bethesda loves to add to its games. Skyrim constantly showed animations in which your character would "finish" and NPC off with a brutal killing blow that often saw someone lose their heads, legs and arms.

This game is also NOT for kids. Its rated M for Blood and Gore, Sexual Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Violence. If you were looking for a game that WASNT containing these things. Youve come to the wrong place.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
    Options
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first used the Blade of Woe on PTS I just sat there at my keyboard for a few seconds thinking "did that really just happen??" With my mouth slightly open.

But this is, of course, the Dark Brotherhood. I don't relish the violence, not even a little. But they are a Guild of contracted murderers. And this game is rated M for mature.

Now, this doesn't explain the leap from the violence you've seen in the rest of the game to this, because as stated this seems more personal. More intimate if you will in the way people are dispatched with the blade.

But you can just choose to dispatch with your weapons too if it makes you uncomfortable. It can be a little gratuitous so I can understand where you're coming from, OP.
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
    Options
  • Jhunn
    Jhunn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    The rating does not mean that no-one has the right to be offended, we all have different opinions on what we like or do not like to see in a game. I also think this level of imagery is a sign that we are relying less on our own imaginations and more on modern games to supply every little detail to us.
    People are too easily offended. It's a game and you're pretty much over-analyzing the DB cut-scenes.
    Edited by Jhunn on June 6, 2016 12:20AM
    Gave up.
    Options
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is that option, of course. It means not using it will not allow me to gain achievements connected to it, but I guess I could skip those.

Just pretend you're helping a friend scratch an itch with it and they are so satisfied that they fall over from pure happiness!

B)
    Options
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen worse
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
    Options
  • Nemeliom
    Nemeliom
    ✭✭✭✭
    You killed thousands of people, animals, you stole, lied, betray, and you worry about an animation? o.0
    Baradur Morker - Level 50 Bosmer Nightblade
    Le-Duck - Level 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Boom-Stormer - Level 50 High Elf Sorcerer
    Nemeliom the Great - Level 50 Redguard Warden
    Crazy Little Maggie - Level 50 High Elf Templar
    Options
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nemeliom wrote: »
    You killed thousands of people, animals, you stole, lied, betray, and you worry about an animation? o.0

Those animations are a bit more graphic than regular kills:

- blood gushing
    - blood gargling
    - throat slits
    - head kebabs
    phairdon wrote: »
    Oddly enough, found sticking the blade through someone's head, kind of disturbing too,...

So yeah, some ppl might be a bit disturbed to say the least...

"The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
    Options
  • SG_Celerrimus
    SG_Celerrimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to just straight up disagree with you. I love the animations for the assassinations, and I think they fit in well and feel at home in this game. Skyrim had animations very similar. Also, this game is rated 'M', so I see no issue with it.
    Options
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear.

http://www.imperial-library.info/content/kiss-sweet-mother
    Edited by Tabbycat on June 6, 2016 12:54AM
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
    Options
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is disturbing, but it is fitting. That is why only one of my characters, who I made specifically to be an assassin of the Dark Brotherhood, does it. My other characters didn't even do the first quest (which nets you the Blade of Woe).

Considering they are a cult that assassinate people for a living, it has to be somehow disturbing.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
    Options
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wish there were two options you could take: join the Dark Brotherhood and participate in their activities, or fight against them.
    Like in Skyrim if you chose to kill Astrid instead of the captives.
    Options
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am glad that the content based on assassination has actual assassination in it. I was expecting something Disney-fied to suit people like the OP.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

Options
  • Forumer-in-Prison
    Forumer-in-Prison
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but this is an Elder Scrolls game.

Also, this KILL MOVE animation has been requested here on the forums for like... "A Million..." times.

We finally got it.
    Siblings-in-Prison

Lore:
    At a time of chaos and turmoil, children from all across tamriel have been taken by an evil Argonian Thieves guild. They were raised in captivity, forced to learn their captors evil ways and endured the harsh environment of Black Marsh. The intentions of the evil guild is still unknown till this day.

Amisdt the events surrounding the formation of the Ebonheart Pact, a brave few has escaped their captors and ran off as far away as they can, eventually landing on the shores of khenarthi's roost.

Armed with the skills and the scars they have endured during their captivity, these brothers and sisters in chains has vowed revenge on their Argonian captors and their allies.

They kept the names branded to them by the evil reptiles as a reminder of all the pain and torment they have suffered, and have joined the Aldmeri Dominion as a means to an end... Paint Tamriel with Argonian blood.
      [*] Close-to-Prison | Khajiit | Cat of Life
      [*] Sliced-in-Prison | Bosmer | Suction Blade
      [*] Hunk-in-Prison | Breton | Hunky Blade
      [*] Muse-in-Prison | Altmer | Healing Babe
      [*] Hot-in-Prison | Breton | HotBod Killer

Options
    • Mojmir
      Mojmir
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I think it's actually an ineffective way to be an assassin, it should be quicker,cleaner,and quieter.
      Options
    • Teridaxus
      Teridaxus
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Well, you sure will like the final db main quest then
      Options
    • GrumpStump
      GrumpStump
      ✭✭✭
      Personally, I think it should be even more realistic. There's nothing worse than a bloodless kill.

GrumpStump
      ESO+ Subbed until December 2019
      Options
    • Wreuntzylla
      Wreuntzylla
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Nifty2g wrote: »

Didn't you see the rating of the game? It's even at the bottom of the forums.

Sure, but up until now it has been cya gloss. Prior to this patch, children, sexual violence, gore and general depravity were almost nonexistent. I this patch, you start with a human trafficking of a child quest... When ZoS embraces Sithis, ZoS uses hands and legs...
      Options
    • AmberLaTerra
      AmberLaTerra
      ✭✭✭✭
      I think their should be more of these animations in the main game myself, I mean we are using brutal weapons in swords, maces, daggers, and bows the sheer lack of blood and gore in the main game is more unrealistic and offensive to the idea of true immersion into the game world.

Let's face it combat with the weapons in this game in real history was a bloody and gory business, it was not clean and bloodless. The only weapons that come close to their real effects are staffs or enchanted ones what will occasionally leave a kill burnt to a pile of ash or froze in a pillar of ice.

Give us more realistic effects of our weapons to make the immersion more real.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

CP 365 Nord DK DPS EP
      CP 365 Imperal DK Stam Tank EP
      Level 9 Imperial Stam Templar EP
      Cp 365 Khajiit Stam Blade EP

For the glory of the Pact
      Options
    • WhoThenNow7
      WhoThenNow7
      ✭✭✭
      I'm on Xbox so I haven't played it yet, but I'm actually REALLY looking forward to that kind of thing. I loved the kill animations in skyrim and was a little disappointed to not see something like that in ESO. This dlc will probably hit home for me. Sorry you don't like it; and not trying to be a jerk, but honestly the game ratings are there for a reason. If you prefer something that isn't graphic, I'm sure there's an MMO rated T somewhere out there... I mean what did you expect though?
      Options
    • Kalante
      Kalante
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      i love gore in video games. the more gore the better. muh immersion.
      Edited by Kalante on June 6, 2016 1:42AM
      Options
    • Troneon
      Troneon
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      I feel like im playing assasins creed one again except it's a cheap repetitive version over a decade old :D

Honestly you could buy assasins creed one on steam for way cheaper and get more of a game and content than DB DLC lol

Not saying it's bad for ESO overall but for sure it's almost identical in assassins creed one gameplay and design, especially the sacraments..

Assassin's_Creed_cover.png
      Edited by Troneon on June 6, 2016 1:44AM
      PC EU AD
      Master Crafter - Anything you need!!
      High Elf Magicka Templar Healer/DPS/Tank
      Trials / Dungeons / PVP / Everything
      Options
    • LadyNalcarya
      LadyNalcarya
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Well, if you scroll the page down, you'll see this:
      esrb.gif
      And your char is already a cold-blooded murderer, if he/she joined DB. Graphics or lack of them dont change much.
      Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
      Options
    • Ajaxduo
      Ajaxduo
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I find that these animations are far from 'disturbing'. I mean sure you impale, slit throats and stab your victims but there is no overly 'graphic visual' (the blade of woe simply clips into the targets model). By which I mean there is no entry points, decapitation, etc - unlike Skyrim. I am not complaining however, I am content with what we were given and it fits the rating which the game was given. If I want truly graphic gore I will play Doom, Mortal Kombat or something like that :p
      - - -
      GM of Verum Aeternus, PC EU
      - - -
      Options