The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Craft Bag Lore

staracino_ESO
staracino_ESO
✭✭✭✭
With such a big change coming to the game (it even has a unique model when you are digging through it), I would like for there to be some official lore as to the nature and existence of this crafting bag. As far as I know, I have never heard of a bottomless bag or bag of holding in the Elder Scrolls lore. I would be very interested to see something from the official lore master on this bag.
  • InvitationNotFound
    InvitationNotFound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    f**k yeah. and a whole quest line where you will be rewarded with the bag.and don't forget some fancy achievements (e.g. you just lost 1000 ore in your bag).
    We want firing off Dark Exchange in the middle of combat to feel awesome... - The Wrobler
    You know you don't have to be here right? - Rich Lambert
    Verrätst du mir deinen Beruf? Ich würde auch gerne mal Annahmen dazu schreiben, wie simple die Aufgaben anderer sind. - Kai Schober

Addons:
    RdK Group Tool: esoui DE EN FR
    Port to Friend's House: esoui DE EN FR - Library: DE EN
    Yet another Compass: esoui DE EN FR
    Group Buffs: esoui DE EN FR
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And so it were that the peoples of Tamriel needed to hold stuff . One Master craftsman stepped up this challenge , thinking tirelessly , day and night .... "By the two moons I've got it !" "I'll make a bag!"

-Fin
  • Khilseith
    Khilseith
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to know why "Cyrodiil" isn't a jungle like it's supposed to be and why it's called Cyrodiil before Talos named it that... before Tiber Septim even existed.

Correct me if I'm wrong and don't give me dragon break ***. A dragon break is a minor difference to canonize choices.
    Edited by Khilseith on May 26, 2016 7:58PM
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is interesting, but is there any lore than explains the limitless chests etc. in Skyrim? Sure you don't carry those around, but surely it should get full eventually.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »
    That is interesting, but is there any lore than explains the limitless chests etc. in Skyrim? Sure you don't carry those around, but surely it should get full eventually.

Do we really have to explain away everything ? Can't people just make things up ? My parents kept me busy for hours when I was a kid that asked how the light went off in the refrigerator . They said a little man runs out real quick and shuts it off . Ya know how many hours I spent opening and closing that thing to spot the elf ...?

Just use your imaginatio
    n .

nevermind I forget some people like everything tied to lore . Doesn't bother me so have at it .
    Edited by Rohamad_Ali on May 26, 2016 8:15PM
  • staracino_ESO
    staracino_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »

Choosing to ignore coding as the culprit, I would be satisfied with this had they not endeavored to make the crafting bag have its own unique model. It just makes me feel like it should have its own story.
  • staracino_ESO
    staracino_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to know why "Cyrodiil" isn't a jungle like it's supposed to be and why it's called Cyrodiil before Talos named it that... before Tiber Septim even existed.

There is a book about this: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Subtropical_Cyrodiil:_A_Speculation
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bottomless bag was invented by Sheogorath to hide all the children of Tamriel and have them work at his cheese processing plant so he could compete against the giants for the role of Goudest Cheesemonger.

It really is a large plant. Impatient? Probably.

signing off
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The craft bag is a meta feature. Or else you can start lore-explaining how you fit 20 swords, 30 pieces of armor, 90 loaves of bread, 500 bottles of potions and a lot of other crap into your backpack.
    Edited by khele23eb17_ESO on May 26, 2016 8:05PM
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • Khilseith
    Khilseith
    ✭✭✭

There is a book about this: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Subtropical_Cyrodiil:_A_Speculation

I was trying to find that to double check and I didn't see it earlier.
  • staracino_ESO
    staracino_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    The craft bag is a meta feature. Or else you can start lore-explaining how you fit 20 swords, 30 pieces of armor, 90 loaves of bread, 500 bottles of potions and a lot of other crap into your backpack.

For our regular bag, you would have to ask M'Aiq. He has his own suspicions about this.
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With such a big change coming to the game (it even has a unique model when you are digging through it), I would like for there to be some official lore as to the nature and existence of this crafting bag. As far as I know, I have never heard of a bottomless bag or bag of holding in the Elder Scrolls lore. I would be very interested to see something from the official lore master on this bag.

It's in the same obscure tome that explains why the Vestige can carry around 100 separate helmets at once.
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I was trying to find that to double check and I didn't see it earlier.

Oh... yeah, I always chocked that up to climate change and simple deforestation.
    Clearing land for farms and stuff.
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Correct me if I'm wrong and don't give me dragon break ***. A dragon break is a minor difference to canonize choices.

There is a book in game that speculates that Cyrodiil's change from jungle to what it is now was gradual, as the White-Gold tower resonated with the needs and the wishes of the humans that were from colder climate and now had control of it (while before it resonated with the needs and wishes of the Ayleids, who were used to the warmer, tropical climate).

I am very fond of that explanation because I like the idea of things that are widely accepted as fact by the people of Tamriel being just myths. Still, that explanation is just another a theory, written by an npc in a book I found in one of the Morrowind maps.

I too very much dislike everything to be explained by dragon breaks, but because I think that's no fun even if it is a plausible and lore-accurate explanation.
    Edited by Abeille on May 26, 2016 9:02PM
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • Legoless
    Legoless
    ✭✭✭✭
    As far as I know, I have never heard of a bottomless bag or bag of holding in the Elder Scrolls lore.
    Ever heard of King Orgnum's Coffer?
  • staracino_ESO
    staracino_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Legoless wrote: »
    As far as I know, I have never heard of a bottomless bag or bag of holding in the Elder Scrolls lore.

That is not quite what I had in mind. It magically produces something, and unless King Orgnum has it, the amount it produces at a time is certainly finite. Good find, though.
  • ThePaleItalian
    ThePaleItalian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW has a bank for every single toon you have.

I like what ESO is doing with this. They are going to slowly go to more things like this because of how the game has grown and more and more mats and motifs drop. Its a great idea for someone like me who is a plus member and picks everything he can.

Hopefully they don't charge too much on the Crown Store for them. I wouldn't mind if they are 500 crowns, hopefully they don't go over 1000.
    Conan, what is good in life?
    Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.

PS4 Screen Name: The_Pale_Italian
    ZweiHandler - Orc DK Tank
    Solstice StormHaven - Magika Sorc
    Oba Nobanaga - Stam NB
  • staracino_ESO
    staracino_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    f**k yeah. and a whole quest line where you will be rewarded with the bag.and don't forget some fancy achievements (e.g. you just lost 1000 ore in your bag).

I actually would like there to be a small quest for all pets/mounts/costumes you buy from the crown store. Just a small one like the quest we did for the cake. I know many people just want to have it instantly when they buy it, which is fine. But I wish there was at least an option to learn some of the lore/get the feeling of actually earning the item.
  • Legoless
    Legoless
    ✭✭✭✭
    Legoless wrote: »

That is not quite what I had in mind. It magically produces something, and unless King Orgnum has it, the amount it produces at a time is certainly finite. Good find, though.
    Point being, the general idea of a bottomless chest isn't new to TES.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's bigger on the inside!
    No, wait, maybe that's something else...

If you want some lore for why we can store 4,294,967,296 items in the craft bag, first tell me what the lore is for storing 140 stacks of 100 in your existing (not very big) backpack. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
    For our regular bag, you would have to ask M'Aiq. He has his own suspicions about this.
    "M'aiq wonders why merchants boast of spacious bags, but never how much weight they carry."
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • TrueNord47
    um why? its a bag you put stuff in. dont need its life story.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I actually would like there to be a small quest for all pets/mounts/costumes you buy from the crown store. Just a small one like the quest we did for the cake. I know many people just want to have it instantly when they buy it, which is fine. But I wish there was at least an option to learn some of the lore/get the feeling of actually earning the item.

That would at least make all the prices seems slightly less absurd (but not much)
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Characters without bags can carry 28000 iron ingots. That seems more problematic to me.

The crafting bags are like the banks. How come I can deposit something in a guild bank Daggerfall and another player can withdraw it a second later in Coldharbour? If you want it to make sense, just say that the bags contain nothing. They are just portals to a storage space somewhere else. You can summon the item when you need it so long as you have a bag for that storage location. Each character on your account has a bag linked to that shared storage area. That same logic can also be applied to guild banks and personal banks. It also helps make bank assistants make sense.

There are a lot of portals in TES.
    Edited by DaveMoeDee on May 31, 2016 1:38PM
  • LindsC
    LindsC
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think that the backpack/crafting bag are enchanted. They are made to be weightless through the enchantment