The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Crash on Launch after patch

• tonemd
    tonemd
    ✭✭✭✭
    NVM I see that those are just min specs
    Edited by tonemd on March 8, 2016 8:07PM
  • nordmeyerx
    nordmeyerx
    ✭✭
    nudel wrote: »
    I really hope this new fix is the answer.

That sounds to me like a crash in-game. We are all experiencing the crash on launch which is because our video cards can only support DX 10.0 and below.

Face it... we have to buy a new video card to play the game (which could also mean a new power supply, and possibly a new chipset for the motherboard too?)

I'd like to be able to say that Zenimax cares about you as an individual, but they could frankly give a rats ass less if you can play the game today. It would have to be a mass exodus on an enormous scale for them to do anything about this, which, as far as we know might be impossible at this point.

I will agree that this doesn't exactly go a long way towards building a strong and loyal customer base, but frankly, they couldn't give a sh**.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey guys, just want to make sure everyone saw this thread over here: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/251748/game-crashing-issues

Edit: Whoops, just noticed that @nudel posted this thread earlier. Sorry about that!
    Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on March 8, 2016 8:20PM
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • nordmeyerx
    nordmeyerx
    ✭✭
    Hey guys, just want to make sure everyone saw this thread over here: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/251748/game-crashing-issues

Edit: Whoops, just noticed that @nudel posted this thread earlier. Sorry about that!

Gina, thanks for the reply. Makes me *almost* want to retract my above statement, but not completely. ;)

I have one question about this though:

"Note that we have upgraded the ESO graphics engine to be DirectX 11 specific as per the 2.3.5 patch notes, and are no longer supporting graphics cards that are not compatible with DX11."

What does that actually entail? Will the game not launch? Does it crash upon launch? Will graphics not render whole or completely? Will the game lag? Will it run, but if we have issues you won't "support" us?

I'd like to know what "no longer supporting graphic cards that are not compatible" means exactly.
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nordmeyerx wrote: »
    I really hope this new fix is the answer.

That sounds to me like a crash in-game. We are all experiencing the crash on launch which is because our video cards can only support DX 10.0 and below.

Face it... we have to buy a new video card to play the game (which could also mean a new power supply, and possibly a new chipset for the motherboard too?)

I'd like to be able to say that Zenimax cares about you as an individual, but they could frankly give a rats ass less if you can play the game today. It would have to be a mass exodus on an enormous scale for them to do anything about this, which, as far as we know might be impossible at this point.

I will agree that this doesn't exactly go a long way towards building a strong and loyal customer base, but frankly, they couldn't give a sh**.

Incorrect. Some are experiencing the crash for that reason. However, I most certainly am running DX11 and still crash at launch. Another user in this thread is running DX12 and reporting crash on launch. For myself, the video card has little to do with it.
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious, what's the latest C++ package that we should use for W10?
    I got "2010" when clicked on the link ESO site provided, but there's 2015 VC package as well on the other page?
    Edited by maboleth on March 8, 2016 8:27PM
  • nordmeyerx
    nordmeyerx
    ✭✭
    However, I most certainly am running DX11 and still crash at launch.

I am also "running" DX11, but my card will only support DX 10.0 and lower. Do you mean that your card can actually support DX11 and it's still crashing?

I'd love to be wrong on this and have it be something they could fix. I'm not holding out hope though.

On the plus side I could just quit playing ESO and just try to get as many forum badges as I can.

• nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    However, I most certainly am running DX11 and still crash at launch.

I am also "running" DX11, but my card will only support DX 10.0 and lower. Do you mean that your card can actually support DX11 and it's still crashing?

I'd love to be wrong on this and have it be something they could fix. I'm not holding out hope though.

On the plus side I could just quit playing ESO and just try to get as many forum badges as I can.

Well my card fully supports DX11 and yes it still crashes. I have run DxDiag and under supported versions, DX11 is clearly listed. If you're unsure if your card specifically supports it, go to start menu, type "dxdiag" into the search bar sans quotes. Execute the application and then look at both "DirectX Version" under the System tab and "DDI Version" under the Display tab. Both should list 11 or higher.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager

Gina, thanks for the reply. Makes me *almost* want to retract my above statement, but not completely. ;)

"Note that we have upgraded the ESO graphics engine to be DirectX 11 specific as per the 2.3.5 patch notes, and are no longer supporting graphics cards that are not compatible with DX11."

What does that actually entail? Will the game not launch? Does it crash upon launch? Will graphics not render whole or completely? Will the game lag? Will it run, but if we have issues you won't "support" us?

I'd like to know what "no longer supporting graphic cards that are not compatible" means exactly.

Fair question. If you try to launch the game without having DX11, you'll receive a Windows error saying that you don't meet the requirements, and will not be able to log in (in other words, you won't be able to get in and just use poor graphics, or crash out of the game).
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Fair question. If you try to launch the game without having DX11, you'll receive a Windows error saying that you don't meet the requirements, and will not be able to log in (in other words, you won't be able to get in and just use poor graphics, or crash out of the game).

Thanks for clearing that up. So all these crashes on launch are due to a bug then.
  • Billtheman
    Are you seriously say that we cannot use OPENGL anymore? Why would you do this?
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So if I click play or try to launch the executables and my screen goes black followed instantly by ESO's crash report forum then it likely isn't related to Direct X? Whatever is causing the crash is triggered before the game can even create a new user settings file.
  • prbaker
    prbaker
    Soul Shriven
    I was quite happy with no render distance and running in to fences and bushes that loaded in while i was trying to figure out what i was stuck on. I really don't understand why they don't give us the option to choose between 9, 10 or 11. I know it's possible. I've played games that do it.

I'm curious, what version of dx does everyone's computer run? Mine runs 10. http://strawpoll.me/7030227
  • NerfPlease
    NerfPlease
    ✭✭✭

its about if you havent DX11 installed

what about if you have DX11 installed, but havent videocard with DX11 support?

just crash?
  • goatlyonesub17_ESO
    goatlyonesub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have DirectX 10.1, so no more ESO for me until I can buy another computer, with a recently manufactured video card in it. I certainly hope that my account will remain in existence until I can get that done. I'm not sure how long it will take.
    "Argonians have fat, scaly tails." —Rissa Manyclaws.
    "Once upon a time there were three sisters: Delicious, Delightful, and Disgusting. Now, Delicious and Delightful were both very pretty girls..." —Brendalyn Jurarde.
    "I smell to the nobility." —Indrasa Avani.
    "A bargain with an animal is not a contract made." —Haderus Atrimus.
    "Redguard makeup for sale. Free samples. Secret ingredients. Unique application method. Lots of satisfied customers." —The Mudball Goblin (aka, Cognac Vinecroft)
    "Your armor looks like underwear." —Shuns-the-Knife.
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭
    prbaker wrote: »
    I was quite happy with no render distance and running in to fences and bushes that loaded in while i was trying to figure out what i was stuck on. I really don't understand why they don't give us the option to choose between 9, 10 or 11. I know it's possible. I've played games that do it.

I'm curious, what version of dx does everyone's computer run? Mine runs 10. http://strawpoll.me/7030227

Moving forward with DirectX 11 AND keeping DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 would require splitting the code base again. That's a problem for smaller development teams because it means they're working with practically two different game engines down the road. Any fixes implemented in one code base has to be copied over to the other code base and the difference between them would many times require that one of those fixes be overhauled to make it work the same way in the other code base. And then any differences in the implementation has to be properly noted with comments in the code that understandably explains the difference or if they have to work with that same piece of code again down the line they may not be able to tell what it is the code change was intended for. All of this translates into more man hours from developers and higher operating costs.

Developers like Blizzard can easily maintain all of these code bases because they're raking in fees for the base game, fees for the expansions, subscription fees, in game transaction fees, and more recently directly selling gold in-game.

The model to program in DirectX 11 is so drastically different from DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 that to use more advanced DirectX 11 features requires breaking backward compatibility with DirectX 9 and DirectX 10.

And DirectX 12 is way way more drastically different from DirectX 11 so if the development team for this game decides to use DirectX 12 down the line, which they've said they're looking into, there will be an even more drastic rewrite of the game that'll probably entail dropping DirectX 11 support.

Just putting that out there so that no one's surprised later.

What's peculiar about ZOS's change is that the vast majority of game developers will actually make an expansion or completely new game with the cutting edge features that charges another base game fee to recoup the port costs and still maintain the code base for the older games. It looks like ZOS decided to just charge a DLC fee instead and then drop support for the old code base.
    Edited by kenjitamura on March 8, 2016 9:36PM
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭
    Oops double post please delete >.<
    Edited by kenjitamura on March 8, 2016 9:35PM
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No updates on crashing ?
  • runningtings
    runningtings
    ✭✭✭
    This is a total joke, I was going to buy DLC for the first time and now this.
    The amount of money they will lose from us will be incredible.
    // DC / EU PC// Garión<< The Black >>
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They just get worse and worse, You would think they would update players regularly but no.
    There should be credit some crowns and for subscribers credit for days you couldn't play
    Edited by Krainor1974 on March 9, 2016 1:21PM
  • nordmeyerx
    nordmeyerx
    ✭✭
    According to what Gina said, it does not appear that a crash upon launch is something directly related to having a video card that does not support Direct X 11. The intent of the developers was that a message would display to you letting you know that your card is no longer supported. That, and the fact that people on this post have stated that they have fully compliant Direct X 11 video cards and still get the crash upon launch.

Since this forum post has now over 12k views to it, I have to imagine that this is a widespread issue. Although the e-mail post I received said that there was nothing else they could do for me, I have to imagine this is something that will get fixed. There was a post linked to by Gina and someone else saying that was the case, but I don't know if that means the launch crash or in-game crashes.

As for me, I will not run out and buy a new video card specifically to play ESO until I am convinced that it would resolve the crash, which at this point I am not.

So we wait, and see.
    Edited by nordmeyerx on March 9, 2016 3:07PM
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still no updates from them so far today, you would think they would post something informing us what's the status
  • NerfPlease
    NerfPlease
    ✭✭✭
    at least they must say what happend with opengl
  • The_Legendary_Arya
    So many players crashing after pressing "Play", and still not even a "Sorry for that, we are working on it" from Zeni :( after 3! days..
  • l.cockerell1968b16_ESO
    l.cockerell1968b16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Been playing since beta, subbed since launch. Sub cancelled as of today.
  • Dyngrin
    Dyngrin
    ✭✭✭
    I was crashing every 5 to 20 seconds after login (even at the character selection screen) until I made the following changes:

Changed from Fullscreen to Windowed (fullscreen)
    Changed Shadows from Ultra to Off

I then only crashed once in a couple of hours of play.

I have a GTX 770 with the latest NVidia driver (362.00) and was using the 32 bit client (from the launcher). The 64 bit client (eso64.exe) was able to login as well but I haven't tested it over a long period.

--Dyn
    Grand Overlord Dyngrin, Templar, Daggerfall Covenant (PC/NA)
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    We just published a hotfix for PC NA, and are working on PC EU, that should fix a commonly occurring crash. Can you guys log out, download the patch, and let us know how things are looking?

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/252041/hotfix-3-9-16-crash-fix
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just downloaded the hotfix and I can confirm that it did not resolve my crash.
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope CRASH
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Are you guys at least getting into the game, then crashing? Or are you not even making it past character select?
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post