The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Game Crashing Issues

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
Hello everyone,

We want to let you know that we are aware of the numerous crashing reports we’ve seen since Thieves Guild was released on PC/Mac yesterday, and would like to provide some troubleshooting steps for you to try.

First and foremost, there is currently a crash that we are working on fixing that is affecting many of you in various circumstances. While there’s no workaround at the moment, please understand that we are hard at work to address this as soon as possible.

In the meantime, please visit this article on our Support page and go through each of the steps to see if this helps address the crashing you’re experiencing. These steps include:
  • Making sure you meet the game’s minimum requirements (note that this hasn’t changed in this patch, and is still the same as it has been since last year)
  • Checking your graphics card drivers and settings
  • Downloading the latest Windows updates, including the latest Visual C++ update and DirectX version
    • Note that we have upgraded the ESO graphics engine to be DirectX 11 specific as per the 2.3.5 patch notes, and are no longer supporting graphics cards that are not compatible with DX11.
  • Changing your game’s graphics settings
  • Repairing the game client
  • Removing any addons
If you go through each of these steps and your game is still crashing, please wait until we have implemented a fix for the crash we are currently investigating. If at that point you are still running into issues, we encourage you to submit a ticket with our Support Team.

We’ll keep you updated on the status of the aforementioned crash. Thank you for your patience.
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Tomato
    Tomato
    ✭✭✭✭
    9 crashes yesterday and 13 today so far with a GTX 970
  • Lenikus
    Lenikus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [*] Making sure you meet the game’s minimum requirements (note that this hasn’t changed in this patch, and is still the same as it has been since last year)
    [*] Checking your graphics card drivers and settings
    • Note that we have upgraded the ESO graphics engine to be DirectX 11 specific as per the 2.3.5 patch notes, and are no longer supporting graphics cards that are not compatible with DX11.
    ... Lies >.>'
    ... Mai cave. >:3
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Removing any addons

LOL this is so ripe. Zos implemented a perfect Catch-22 with add-ons. On the one hand they say the default UI was left bare bones in part so add-ons could be used to customize freely, and they provided access to allow add-ons. On the other hand, they officially don't support add-ons and often point to add-ons when there are problems with the game. Politicians should be lining up to hire the person who developed this idea.

stinky-diaper.jpg
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • OrphanHelgen
    OrphanHelgen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    chrashed 3 times in goldpledge and one time in COA. Didnt get chest at last boss btw, since I crashed and then it died. Im sure it was one with divines
    PC, EU server, Ebonheart Pact

Finally a reason not to play League of Legends
  • NovaShadow
    NovaShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    11 crashes yesterday, 4 today and I've only been on an hour.
    PC NA - EPHS
  • imokie2609
    imokie2609
    ✭✭✭
    15 crashes today with my GTX 970 ;_;
  • T@rty
    T@rty
    ✭✭✭
    Crashing repeastly, 980ti latest drivers system stable, the only change is the patch. come on ZoS sort your game please!
  • Xantaria
    Xantaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    imokie2609 wrote: »
    15 crashes today with my GTX 970 ;_;

have that card too 0 crashes.
    Xantaria - Lead of Chimaira
    Hardcore Progress PvE Player - Livestream - Youtube

World First Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    World First Tick-Tock Tormentor

Proud Member of the Council of Exploiters.
  • T@rty
    T@rty
    ✭✭✭
    OK thanks for reply I have:-

Run the game without addons
    Run the latest Nvidia drivers (not beta) 362.00 on a 980ti
    All windows updates installed (windows 8.1 with classic shell)
    Hardware, 6700k, 16Gb DDR4 2666 (no over clock except RAM running XMP mode)
    Run repair

Still crashing.

As said many people are suffering these random crashes. Personally I've never had this crashes like this before, only start since the patch sooooo clearly the issue is not client side.

Please ZOS sort your game

ZoS reply removed? why?????
    Edited by T@rty on March 8, 2016 10:51PM
  • dpencil
    dpencil
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have played a lot over the past couple days, no crashes on 32 bit, but when I tried to use the 64 bit client, I crashed within 5 minutes. Still using all add ons and graphics from before. I don't have Thieves Guild or doing pvp, so not in very high population areas. Sorry to all who are struggling to just be able to play normally! :/
  • T@rty
    T@rty
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not running the 64bit client and the crashing is only happening in the dungeons doing the pledges :-(
  • Tomato
    Tomato
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is a joke and not playable
  • Calandrae
    Calandrae
    ✭✭✭✭
    About 20 crashes this evening for myself. About the same amount for many of my guildmates... Grouping is impossible.

I've played this game since launch, and it has never been a mess like this.
    Edited by Calandrae on March 8, 2016 11:13PM
  • Tomato
    Tomato
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS logic = we fix the lag issues by making everyone crash every 30 minutes!
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sad to force long term players to have to buy new video cards.
  • louweezi2preub18_ESO
    Since I only crash when I try to run 64bit after this "hotfix", I really doubt it has anything to do with my graphics setting, addons, etc. I also experience those silly graphic glitches (pink mounts & such)
    I use Win7Pro64 and ESO64 was running & looking great on both the PTS as well as live. I ran game using the "eso64.exe" file for both PTS client as well as live client.

I have no problems running game with the 32bit . . game does not look nearly as good. Shame to waste the capacity of my system.
  • FleetwoodSmack
    FleetwoodSmack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Volkodav wrote: »
    Sad to force long term players to have to buy new video cards.

Or people like me who have to buy whole new computers because of a proprietary issue. Sucks, doesn't it? Wonder how many people are going to unsub due to this farce.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies!
  • Eirella
    Eirella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is ridiculous, I'm crashing every 5-10 minutes!
    (PC/NA) - | @Eirella - formerly @jinxgames | CP 1000+ | Mainly PvPer (EP) | Haxus
    /uninstalled
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lenikus wrote: »
    [*] Making sure you meet the game’s minimum requirements (note that this hasn’t changed in this patch, and is still the same as it has been since last year)
    [*] Checking your graphics card drivers and settings
    ... Lies >.>'

There's no lie there. When Tamriel Unlimited was launched the stated minimum requirements were changed. I have the box showing the minimum requirements including DX 11. You're confusing that with the fact that the game continued to support DX 9 even though it no longer met the stated requirements.

ZOS having announced last year that support would be withdrawn given the raising of the minimum requirements, obviously allowed people time to adapt accordingly. Unfortunately, it's clear that not everyone affected saw the various announcements and were caught unawares this week by the withdrawal of support for DX 9 and the enforcement of the minimum requirements which Gina correctly advises haven't changed since last year.

Edited by Tandor on March 9, 2016 12:09AM
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did a run of Banished Cells, 6 crashes.
    Did a run of Crypt of Hearts, 5 crashes.
    Had a friend run Maw of Lorkhaj normal, 30 crashes and then they gave up.

The game also has horrible fps in a lot of zones, Hew's Bane being the worst, getting about 20 outside of the city and 10-15 inside. It actually ran better on the PTS.

64bit has missing textures and very loud audio glitches. It also seems it has a memory leak, since I will log in and then go from 40 fps to 20 in Hew's Bane.

How could you release this broken mess :/?

EDIT (03/10):
    Did a run of City of Ash, 6 crashes. When two people ported to Stormhaven they crashed immediately upon arrival.
    Edited by Saturn on March 10, 2016 10:02PM
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • NativeJoe
    NativeJoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Relax guys... For some of us it is working great. its just certain configurations. For me it's been pretty awsome. sure there are artifacts and missing textures. But my frames have skyrocketed. I'm very happy they finally got around to a 64bit client.

Show some support that they are actually trying something that will help us all out in the end.
    I don't see how they'd make a dime more by changing it like this...so this a present to us as far as I can see it.
    They may have botched it up, but it's not like they arn't trying to give us something. I'm telling you guys tho, if it ends up working for you guys like it is me... 10+ fps. Totally worth it. My friends computer who is on the sad end of the spectrum went from 22 frame average to over 50. No setting changes whatsoever.
    Edited by NativeJoe on March 9, 2016 1:13AM
    650cp+ Sorcerer 100+ days /played
    Broken'Stick North American Server
    https://www.twitch.tv/trixytricks
  • cf398ub17_ESO
    cf398ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    crashing tons on my templar but not once on my sorc
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every dungeon run through the Finder results in multiple crashes for all group members. There's something wrong.
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • Zion
    Zion
    Soul Shriven
    Hell i can't even log into the game at all since the update.....

Click the play button and says the game crashed and send an error report....
  • kaioowei
    kaioowei
    Soul Shriven
    okay i found the problem ... the geforce gt 9600 is also not compatible ...
    i played this game for 3 weeks, and it was over ... thanks
    and if i want to play, I have to buy a new graphiccard? cheap fun ...
  • Brightxdawn
    Brightxdawn
    ✭✭✭
    I can't even enjoy the game now. Just crashing quite a bit. Before this patch everything was smooth.
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NativeJoe wrote: »
    Relax guys... For some of us it is working great. its just certain configurations. For me it's been pretty awsome. sure there are artifacts and missing textures. But my frames have skyrocketed. I'm very happy they finally got around to a 64bit client.

Show some support that they are actually trying something that will help us all out in the end.
    I don't see how they'd make a dime more by changing it like this...so this a present to us as far as I can see it.
    They may have botched it up, but it's not like they arn't trying to give us something. I'm telling you guys tho, if it ends up working for you guys like it is me... 10+ fps. Totally worth it. My friends computer who is on the sad end of the spectrum went from 22 frame average to over 50. No setting changes whatsoever.

@NativeJoe
    It's great that they are helping us out, but they could've waited to release it until it was in a working state. I'm all for supporting Zenimax, but they have to stop pulling this ***. It's like they learnt nothing from previous broken updates. This update is on par with the update that introduced the memory leak that would turn beautiful 60+ fps into 10 after 30 minutes of playing. I mean they have reintroduced crashes in a major way, plus broken textures for 64bit (and audio glitches) and last but not least they completed shattered the fps in a lot of places, most notably the new zone which everyone paid to get access to.

The content is awesome (the TG story is my favourite of any story content in the game), but the bugs and glitches are too much. I've been with the game since their January beta of 2014, so it's just baffling how they are repeating past mistakes again and again.

Sidenote: I did go from 20 fps in Hew's Bane to 35 by switching from 32 to 64bit, but then it turned out that zone has a memory leak bug which slowly degrades your fps the more you stay in it, making 64bit run as poorly as 32 = no change from normal, just more bugs.
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • therasia2_ESO
    therasia2_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone,

We want to let you know that we are aware of the numerous crashing reports we’ve seen since Thieves Guild was released on PC/Mac yesterday, and would like to provide some troubleshooting steps for you to try.

First and foremost, there is currently a crash that we are working on fixing that is affecting many of you in various circumstances. While there’s no workaround at the moment, please understand that we are hard at work to address this as soon as possible.

In the meantime, please visit this article on our Support page and go through each of the steps to see if this helps address the crashing you’re experiencing. These steps include:
    • Making sure you meet the game’s minimum requirements (note that this hasn’t changed in this patch, and is still the same as it has been since last year)
    • Checking your graphics card drivers and settings
    • Downloading the latest Windows updates, including the latest Visual C++ update and DirectX version
    • Changing your game’s graphics settings
    • Repairing the game client
    • Removing any addons
    If you go through each of these steps and your game is still crashing, please wait until we have implemented a fix for the crash we are currently investigating. If at that point you are still running into issues, we encourage you to submit a ticket with our Support Team.

We’ll keep you updated on the status of the aforementioned crash. Thank you for your patience.
    [/quot
  • therasia2_ESO
    therasia2_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Can you wave your magic wand?
  • lonewolf26
    lonewolf26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is got to be fixed soon. The crashes mid dungeon are becoming untenable.