The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Crash on Launch after patch

• Tzadik
    Tzadik
    Are DEVs giving any useful feedback anywhere? I've sent ticket and got no reply but some computer generated thing about Steam (?!) - which I don't use.

I have newer VC++ than DEV posted here, I have Direct X 11.1 and I crash.

This is pretty annoying.
    Ebonheart Pact - PC EU
    Hasidic Chant - magicka templar
    Na Nach - magicka nightblade sap tank
  • Sa0n
    Sa0n
    ✭✭✭
    Playing on PC/EU/64bit at the moment without issues. GPU is GT630M from 2011-2012.
    Making sure that the ESO64.exe was using the correct GPU and running as administrator did the trick for me. Eventually.
    Literally eat my assflaps.

Uninstalled.
    Time wasted: 6 years.
  • Korax
    Korax
    ✭✭✭
    The simplest would be to look at the display tab on dxdiag and check the feature level for at least 11.0 like some mentioned here already. If you got a Fermi or newer you should have DX11 on the metal already. And Fermi is not that new at all, which already came at the GTX 400 Series of NV GPUs.

(Fermi is also the minimum spec you need to be capable upgrading to Windows 10)

I get it that they had to drop DX9, dropping support for DX10 is slightly harsh. I would grab pitchforks if they just jumped straight to DX12, because of the free Windows 10 upgrades.

But getting a DX11-capable GPU is something that's been around for years and should be super-cheap to get a hold of.
    Edited by Korax on March 7, 2016 9:42PM
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭
    So even with the line in UserSettings.txt set to:
    SET GraphicsDriver.7 "OPENGL"

The client crashes and shows this in the generated bug report:
    client.renderertype = D3D11

Is it possible the client is ignoring the OpenGL setting for PC? And if so is that intended?
  • NerfPlease
    NerfPlease
    ✭✭✭
    Korax wrote: »
    The simplest would be to look at the display tab on dxdiag and check the feature level for at least 11.0 like some mentioned here already. If you got a Fermi or newer you should have DX11 on the metal already. And Fermi is not that new at all, which already came at the GTX 400 Series of NV GPUs.

I get it that they had to drop DX9, dropping support for DX10 is slightly harsh. I would grab pitchforks if they just jumped straight to DX12, because of the free Windows 10 upgrades.

But getting a DX11-capable GPU is something that's been around for years and should be super-cheap to get a hold of.

i have 9800gt and windows10 runs smooth
    so dont tell me i need Fermi
  • Korax
    Korax
    ✭✭✭
    NerfPlease wrote: »
    Korax wrote: »

i have 9800gt and windows10 runs smooth
    so dont tell me i need Fermi

Nvidia doesn't support anything older than Fermi (DX11+) on Windows 10.
    Do yourself a favour and go read their boards. ;)
    Edited by Korax on March 7, 2016 10:30PM
  • Reznique
    Reznique
    ✭✭✭✭
  • eniaios
    eniaios
    Sa0n wrote: »
    Playing on PC/EU/64bit at the moment without issues. GPU is GT630M from 2011-2012.
    Making sure that the ESO64.exe was using the correct GPU and running as administrator did the trick for me. Eventually.

Can you please elaborate on that? I can't seem to find any options on Catalyst Control Center.
  • Lunachik
    Lunachik
    ✭✭✭
    Sa0n wrote: »

How do I check that the .exe is using the correct GPU? I've never had to do that before, HALP. :'(
    **Mara's Moxie * The Sidekick Order * Azura's Guidance *Hallowed Holes of Tamriel **
  • djtzen
    djtzen
    Soul Shriven
    Msg received 2-3 sec after hitting play from launcher or trying to load game from exe's in game folder.

[reporter]
    version = 0.01

[extra]
    ProductName = eso
    Version = eso.live.2.3.5.1278414
    branch = live
    client.executablebits = 32
    client.mode = startup
    client.session_start_timestamp = 2016-03-07T22:33:58.607Z
    client.timestamp = 2016-03-07T22:33:59.364Z -frme 0-
    cpu.arch = 0
    cpu.count = 4
    cpu.level = 16
    cpu.type = 586
    exe.buildnum = 1278414
    exe.opt = release
    exe.reltype = public
    exe.type = client
    mem.system_physical = 4094
    os.osbits = 64
    os.platform = windows
    os.version = 6.0.6002.
    ptime = 1
    reportfield.ver = 3
    version.major = 2
    version.patch = 3
    version.subpatch = 5
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a GTX 560 Ti, which is supposed to be Direct 11. And I have Direct 11 installed on my PC. But I still get immediate ESO crash. I get the ZOS crash screen (where it asks what you were doing when ESO crashed).
  • Nomen
    Nomen
    ✭✭
    I had deleted everything associated with ESO from my computer and had installed the game again.It had taken a few hours but it had helped.Its a pity that servers had been shut down 10 minutes after I had entered and I couldnt try to enter the game with some of the addonsю
  • prbaker
    prbaker
    Soul Shriven
    I came to the forum to find out why the game just crashes on launch. I have directx11. i have a newer version of Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package than what was posted. I've tried all the tips and tricks. Then i read to do run - dxdiag and click the display tab ... DDI version - 10.1 mine says. My graphic card can only handle DirectX 10.

So I've had the door to my favorite game slammed and locked in my face over night? I've only just found the game a couple months ago and now i can't play it? Lovely! Needless to say I'm pretty mad. I was going to get 6 months of plus for my birthday. I am so glad i didn't purchase it before this update. I would have been seriously ticked off.

Since the game just became unplayable for me and my 2 kids, can i get a refund? Refund x3 please!

• Kormyr
    Kormyr
    Yeah, I'd like a refund for buying a game that I now can't play, plus the Orisinium DLC.
  • FinneganFroth
    FinneganFroth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can this not get serious? Without notifying players of this inability to play the game after this update, I feel that ZOS is legally responsible. Sure, its 60 dollars here, 15 dollars there, etc., but it's the principle of the matter. This is a pathetic display of customer service.
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭
    Can this not get serious? Without notifying players of this inability to play the game after this update, I feel that ZOS is legally responsible. Sure, its 60 dollars here, 15 dollars there, etc., but it's the principle of the matter. This is a pathetic display of customer service.

You clicked "agree" on the terms of service and end user license agreements:

TOS:
    ZeniMax may patch, update, or modify a Service at any time with or without notice to You. Notwithstanding the foregoing, ZeniMax has no obligation to make available any patches, updates or modifications or correct any errors or defects in the Services. ZeniMax makes no guarantees about the persistence or availability of any user names or other personas at any time and assumes no liability for lost or deleted Account data. Except as prohibited by applicable law and subject to the Statutory Obligations (as defined in Section 1), You agree that ZeniMax will not be liable for any interruption of the Services, delay or failure to perform, any loss of Content (including, but not limited to, User-Generated Content and Downloadable Content), and/or Account data (including, but not limited to, Character data) resulting from any causes whatsoever. ZeniMax reserves the right to offer new Services, change and/or discontinue certain Services at any time in its sole discretion.

EULA:
    The Game is a Service offered by ZeniMax and is only playable online. A persistent Internet connection (which is not supplied by ZeniMax) is required to play the Game. The Game Client alone without a persistent Internet connection does not give you the right or ability to play the Game. You are responsible for all costs and expenses associated with acquiring any hardware, software (e.g., Internet browsers) or other products or services required to play the Game.
  • FinneganFroth
    FinneganFroth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

TOS:
    ZeniMax may patch, update, or modify a Service at any time with or without notice to You. Notwithstanding the foregoing, ZeniMax has no obligation to make available any patches, updates or modifications or correct any errors or defects in the Services. ZeniMax makes no guarantees about the persistence or availability of any user names or other personas at any time and assumes no liability for lost or deleted Account data. Except as prohibited by applicable law and subject to the Statutory Obligations (as defined in Section 1), You agree that ZeniMax will not be liable for any interruption of the Services, delay or failure to perform, any loss of Content (including, but not limited to, User-Generated Content and Downloadable Content), and/or Account data (including, but not limited to, Character data) resulting from any causes whatsoever. ZeniMax reserves the right to offer new Services, change and/or discontinue certain Services at any time in its sole discretion.

EULA:
    The Game is a Service offered by ZeniMax and is only playable online. A persistent Internet connection (which is not supplied by ZeniMax) is required to play the Game. The Game Client alone without a persistent Internet connection does not give you the right or ability to play the Game. You are responsible for all costs and expenses associated with acquiring any hardware, software (e.g., Internet browsers) or other products or services required to play the Game.

Ah, good call. Goodbye ZeniMax forever. You have officially ruined Elder Scrolls.
  • djtzen
    djtzen
    Soul Shriven
    Anyone have their issue resolved yet? I have tried all the suggestions in this thread nothing worked. Game worked fine before update. Have all requirements, dx11 etc. Sent in a support ticket still waiting for a non-automatic response.
  • Ahraet
    Ahraet
    Soul Shriven
    This was really... unexpected and disappointing to say the least and like many others, had no idea about this change. I've been playing the game fine so finding out all of this news was a wake up call for me to probably go and sell my soul for some new PC parts. Don't even know where to start honestly. :|
    I'm not really a forum person so I'm just kinda wondering where they posted all this news previously and why it wasn't more obvious? Am I blind or was this really just not made public enough?
    Damn though, this is a tad sucky!
    BETA TESTER | DREMORA | TES OBSESSED

PC - NA
    Ahraet - One of Sanguine's on a mission to spread debauchery, run for the hills!
    Nisus Rlanu - Will murder you with a stare
    Khalkru - A patient lizard who just wants to help

Blog
    Steam
  • markbrod
    markbrod
    Soul Shriven
    What a shame. Subscriber since day 1, hundreds of hours invested in the game; options are buy new PC or kiss 2 years of subscription $ and investment in time goodbye. Worst part is that the game worked yesterday and this really came without any warning that my computer wouldn't support the update. No response at all from the ticket that was submitted earlier today. As I said - what a shame.
  • swaggasm
    swaggasm
    ✭✭✭
    Having this same issue neither 32 or 64bit versions work, crashing as soon as I try and launch either, and I have DirectX 12....
  • Tzadik
    Tzadik
    Is any DEV going to reply something useful on this issue?

After maintenance I still have the same problem. I hope that when I come back from work today I'll be able to sit back and relax instead of crash...
    Ebonheart Pact - PC EU
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    swaggasm wrote: »
    Having this same issue neither 32 or 64bit versions work, crashing as soon as I try and launch either, and I have DirectX 12....

I'm running DX11 and still experiencing crashes on launch. DxDiag confirms that I am running DX11 proper and not some interim DX10.1 as discussed in this thread. I suppose I could drop a bunch of money on computer upgrades in the hope that resolves it....

...a slim hope given swaggasm's comment above^^
    Edited by nudel on March 8, 2016 3:55AM
  • Tzadik
    Tzadik
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

Can you give us updates about this issue? Or are we left out?
    Ebonheart Pact - PC EU
  • MormondPayne_EP
    MormondPayne_EP
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crown wrote: »
    Hi @ZOS_GinaBruno - I'm already running a newer version than the one you linked. I've even tried uninstalling it, then installing this one, testing, updating it, then trying again. I've tried running both 32 and 64 bit clients as local administrator as well.

Have you tried turning your router on and off again?

ZOS, gg.
  • FinneganFroth
    FinneganFroth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lack of response is amazing. These guys at ZOS must vote for Trump.
  • wildxbambib14a_ESO
    wildxbambib14a_ESO
    Soul Shriven

TOS:

EULA:

Well played ZeniMax, well played. this just means i iwill not be buying/playing a ZeniMax game ever again. Bethesta is still fine in my book because their games before this were wonderful and didnt have issues like this, where DLCs meant buying a new system. its a shame really, because i really enjoyed this game.
  • Gallifreyy
    Gallifreyy
    ✭✭✭
    Gee thank you for letting me not be able to play this game till i upgrade my whole system costing me possible $1000 that i do not have to spend on a new system. Seems like I've wasted so much money and time on something that the developers don't even care about. goodbye 3000+ hours game time and the last 2 years worth of subscription money down the drain.
    CP1000+
    Gallifreyy - DragonKnight - Imperial - EP
    Death by Tray - Nightblade - Dunmer - EP
    Moustacheasaurs - Templar - Dunmer - EP
    Zerief - Sorcerer - High Elf - EP
    Afro Leap - DragonKnight - Redguard - DC
    + 4 other Lvl 50s
    DK IS BACK
  • NerfPlease
    NerfPlease
    ✭✭✭
    @Korax so you mean if i install Win7 my ESO may be will start with 9800gt?
  • Tzadik
    Tzadik
    Have you tried turning your router on and off again?
    I did. Nothing helps.
    Ebonheart Pact - PC EU