The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Crash on Launch after patch

• Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GeForce GTX 650 and Dx11
    nothing
  • djtzen
    djtzen
    Soul Shriven
    djtzen wrote: »
    Nomen wrote: »
    djtzen wrote: »
    Anyone have their issue resolved yet?

I`d resolved my instant-crash problem.I`d completely reinstalled the game(not by repair tool,but by uninstalling and deleting remain files,and using install_ESO.exe after that).
    All is fine now,and even all of my old addons(they ve been saved in basket) work fine.

Thanks for the response Nomen. Was trying to hold off on a complete reinstall but seems like I have arrived at the last resort, since still no other helpful information or insight given from support.

Did a full reinstall, still same problem.

eso has stopped working.
    ====================================================================

[reporter]
    version = 0.01

[extra]
    ProductName = eso
    Version = eso.live.2.3.5.1278414
    branch = live
    client.executablebits = 32
    client.mode = startup
    client.session_start_timestamp = 2016-03-08T15:50:13.492Z
    client.timestamp = 2016-03-08T15:50:14.147Z -frme 0-
    cpu.arch = 0
    cpu.count = 4
    cpu.level = 16
    cpu.type = 586
    exe.buildnum = 1278414
    exe.opt = release
    exe.reltype = public
    exe.type = client
    mem.system_physical = 4094
    os.osbits = 64
    os.platform = windows
    os.version = 6.0.6002.
    ptime = 0
    reportfield.ver = 3
    version.major = 2
    version.patch = 3
    version.subpatch = 5
  • Billtheman
    Geforce GT730 2GB which I just bought last week and all was fine until yesterday. The crappiest part is that they disabled OPENGL support so putting OPENGL in UserSettings.txt still calls for DX11. Why can't we use OPENGL? That's gonna alienate a lot people. I've only had this game for like 10 days and now I can't play anymore? Come on Zenimax.
  • NerfPlease
    NerfPlease
    ✭✭✭
    @goatlyonesub17_ESO you dont get a simple thing

you HAVE a videocard
    its called chipset
    on your motherboard

so you can install any version of DX soft
    but if when you win+r and type dxdiag

and you will see on 2nd tab what DX libraries ACTUALLY your videocard(motherboard based) support
    you will see there is no DX 11

look at this picture
    this card for example will crash eso at launch now
    and i cant run it

but its screen from PTS, on PTS all was fine strange
    jOsopbK.png
  • gefstyle
    gefstyle
    ✭✭✭
    FIX THE FREAKING CRASHES
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The worst part even though it's nothing new is there complete silence, you would think after all this time they would stop throwing dlc out until it's tested for a long period of time but no they just do same as always.
  • nordmeyerx
    nordmeyerx
    ✭✭
    I am having the same issue. Regardless of if this is covered in the TOS or not, it makes no business sense. I was actually getting ready to purchase Orsinium *and* Thieves Guild when I logged in post-patch.

Why would a business knowingly and willingly exclude a customer from playing their game who is waving a fist of cash in front of their noses? I don't understand that business model.

If the company and game devs are arrogant enough to think that people will willingly trundle out and buy a new video card that will support ESO then they truly have no idea how many other entertainment options there are out there that we can happily spend our cash on.

I have to believe this is just some kind of error that will be corrected. None of this makes sense whatsoever. An official statement on this would help clear up some of the confusion and rumors.

I really liked the game and will miss it considerably, but I cannot buy a new video card at this time, it's just not in the budget. As others have said, by the time I can fit it into the budget, I'll be off playing something else.
  • [Deleted User]
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They just keep everyone hanging that's nothing new, u think at least every hour there should be a post if at minimum saying , we still working on it.
  • nordmeyerx
    nordmeyerx
    ✭✭
    One other thing that has me confused. I work in software development for a living, and a crash or unhandled error condition is not considered a graceful way to handle an intentional design.

If this were an intentional change wouldn't we get a message saying "Dear loser, you have crap hardware that can't run our beautiful game anymore" other than a crash?
  • wamphyrii
    wamphyrii
    This is total BS!! If they don't fix this mess soon, I am done with them. And I know I am not the only one on the NA server who is unable to log in now. I have DX11.1 installed on my hard drive, it says my DDI is 11, unfortunately, I am playing on a laptop, and zimimax doesn't support any laptop systems period. So once again, the PC community gets thrown under the bus!!
    Great job Zmax!!
  • Tzadik
    Tzadik
    Why doesn't any dev comment here anymore?

@ZOS_GinaBruno ?
    Ebonheart Pact - PC EU
    Hasidic Chant - magicka templar
    Na Nach - magicka nightblade sap tank
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isn't nothing new they don't talk cuz don't know what to say , they just lucky that players like eso so much n put up with this , would never happen but all players should stop playing as statement.
  • nordmeyerx
    nordmeyerx
    ✭✭
    For those interested... here is an e-mail reply to a support ticket I put in for the issue:

Thank you for your patience while we investigated your account. With the Thieves Guild Update, there have been some major changes to our game engine. If you are experiencing issues after the update, you should first check to ensure that your machine meets the game’s minimum requirements:

Operating System: Windows 7 32-bit
    Processor: Intel i3 or AMD 3870 generation processors or higher
    System RAM: 3GB
    Hard Disk Space: 85GB free HDD space
    GPU: Direct X 11.0 compliant video card with 1GB RAM (NVidia GeForce 460 or AMD Radeon 6850)
    Sound: DirectX compatible sound card
    Internet: Internet Broadband Connection*

We have been getting reports of players who are playing on laptop computers having difficulty with the game crashing when they attempt to launch the game. Please note that if your graphics card has an "M" after the number, or if it does not have its own dedicated memory, then it is a mobile graphics card which does not meet our system requirements. As such, we have limited troubleshooting we can offer which we've included below:

Set your preferred GPU:

You should ensure your video driver is selecting the correct GPU for ESO by opening either the NVIDIA Control Panel or AMD Catalyst Control Panel and ensuring that ESO64.exe is making use of your primary GPU.

To do so, follow the process below:

NVIDIA Graphics Cards
    1. Right-click on your desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel.
    2. In the Control Panel, select Manage 3D settings, then click on the Program Settings tab.
    3. Next to the "Select a program to customize" option, click the Add button.
    4. From the pop-up window, navigate to the folder where ESO is installed and select ESO64.exe.
    5. In the "Select the preferred graphics processor for this program" option, open the drop-down menu and select High-performance NVIDIA processor and confirm.

Note: The above instructions may change depending on version and unique graphics card. If you require further assistance, you should contact NVIDIA Support here: http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html.

AMD Graphics Cards
    1. Right-click on your desktop and select AMD Catalyst Control Center.
    2. Navigate to Power, then PowerPlay.
    3. Set Plugged In and Battery to Maximum Performance and click Apply.
    4. From the Power drop-down menu, select Switchable Graphics.
    5. Select ESO64.exe from the list, or click Browse and navigate to the appropriate directory where ESO is installed.
    6. Select High Performance to pick the specific card and confirm.

Note: The above instructions may change depending on version and unique graphics card. If you require further assistance, you should contact AMD Support here: http://support.amd.com/en-us.

If you have an NVIDIA card, you can also try adjusting the following settings:

1. Open NVIDIA Control Panel --> Manage 3D settings.
    2. Go to Program Settings tab.
    3. Add the file you launch the game from by clicking on Add button.
    4. In the setting window, change the 'Power Management Mode' to 'Prefer Maximum Performance'.
    5. Open "Global Settings".
    6. Select the below settings:
    a. Vertical sync- Off
    b. Threaded optimization – off
    c. Triple buffering – off
    7. Select the preferred processor as NVIDIA under global and program settings.
    8. Click on "apply"

*Note: You will need to do this again every time you launch the game.

Beyond these steps, this is no other troubleshooting we are able to provide.

Warm Regards,
    The Elder Scrolls Online Team
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They Just downloaded a patch n still crashing
  • Ishamaeli
    Ishamaeli
    ✭✭
    FakeAlGore wrote: »
    All Nvidia GeForce 400-series cards and later (with the noted exception of the GeForce 405 which was OEM-only) support DirectX 11. These were released in 2010.

NOOOOOO punch you in the bits, Nvidia. Punch you. In. The bits.

Well, I was going to upgrade my card anyway, so I guess this turned a "yeah, soon" situation into a "right the ef now" one.
  • wamphyrii
    wamphyrii
    nordmeyerx wrote: »
    For those interested... here is an e-mail reply to a support ticket I put in for the issue:

Thank you for your patience while we investigated your account. With the Thieves Guild Update, there have been some major changes to our game engine. If you are experiencing issues after the update, you should first check to ensure that your machine meets the game’s minimum requirements:

GPU: Direct X 11.0 compliant video card with 1GB RAM (NVidia GeForce 460 or AMD Radeon 6850)

We have been getting reports of players who are playing on laptop computers having difficulty with the game crashing when they attempt to launch the game. Please note that if your graphics card has an "M" after the number, or if it does not have its own dedicated memory, then it is a mobile graphics card which does not meet our system requirements. As such, we have limited troubleshooting we can offer which we've included below:

Set your preferred GPU:

You should ensure your video driver is selecting the correct GPU for ESO by opening either the NVIDIA Control Panel or AMD Catalyst Control Panel and ensuring that ESO64.exe is making use of your primary GPU.

NVIDIA Graphics Cards
    2. In the Control Panel, select Manage 3D settings, then click on the Program Settings tab.
    4. From the pop-up window, navigate to the folder where ESO is installed and select ESO64.exe.
    5. In the "Select the preferred graphics processor for this program" option, open the drop-down menu and select High-performance NVIDIA processor and confirm.

Note: The above instructions may change depending on version and unique graphics card. If you require further assistance, you should contact NVIDIA Support here: http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html.

AMD Graphics Cards
    5. Select ESO64.exe from the list, or click Browse and navigate to the appropriate directory where ESO is installed.

Note: The above instructions may change depending on version and unique graphics card. If you require further assistance, you should contact AMD Support here: http://support.amd.com/en-us.

4. In the setting window, change the 'Power Management Mode' to 'Prefer Maximum Performance'.
    a. Vertical sync- Off
    8. Click on "apply"

Warm Regards,

I got the exact same response from them, my processor is older than i3, but my HDgraphics set exceeds the minimum, so wtf??
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There bs as always
    There was a patch few mins ago got my hopes up but still crashing
  • nordmeyerx
    nordmeyerx
    ✭✭
    wamphyrii wrote: »

I got the exact same response from them, my processor is older than i3, but my HDgraphics set exceeds the minimum, so wtf??

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR!
  • Avianographer
    Avianographer
    ✭✭

What is your exact processor model? And you are using the integrated graphics, correct?

• wamphyrii
    wamphyrii

What is your exact processor model? And you are using the integrated graphics, correct?

an old (2010) Toshiba satalite C-655 with intel pentium cpu b960 dual core. graphics Drivers last updated 12/15
  • nordmeyerx
    nordmeyerx
    ✭✭
    I have tried their suggested fix and also downloaded today's patch. Neither helped and I still get the error. So.... I guess that's that. Too bad, I was looking forward to actually playing this game for years longer.
  • Avianographer
    Avianographer
    ✭✭
    The Intel Pentium B960 includes the Sandy Bridge-era Intel HD Graphics that is only DirectX 10.1 compliant. Source
  • wamphyrii
    wamphyrii
    The Intel Pentium B960 includes the Sandy Bridge-era Intel HD Graphics that is only DirectX 10.1 compliant. Source

that figures, thanks for the info. I simply am going to quit playing. i refuse to have to buy a new computer every 2 years to play a 60 dollar game, lol, So long Zmax
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Running Direct X 11 on an i5 and have been able to run ESO fine in the past, guess its time to sit tight and just see what updates come out.
  • NerfPlease
    NerfPlease
    ✭✭✭
    @CP5 no matter what Dx you have installed
    you need look at the libraries your card support
  • goatlyonesub17_ESO
    goatlyonesub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is everyone running DX11? Remember, as of today, we are not supporting DX9 or any graphics cards and operating systems that are not compatible with DirectX 11.

You're now forcing people, to upgrade their hardware in order to play the game?
    Which they were guaranteed to be able to play up-on purchase?

This actually sounds like a first degree of false advertisement.

As my purchased retail copy of ESO clearly states that I don't need dx11 in order to play.

Nor have I been fully instructed nor warned that this would changed.

A serious case of customer unfriendly services.

Hench e the reason why blizzard is still the leading company in the mmo franchise.
    As for they don't force major hardware upgrades in order to play, in fact they make new graphical changes optional and allow you too chose in between old and new graphical lay-out.

So my question to you who represents the company.

Is what will you do now that you've practically scammed your way in to people buying a non functional product under false pretense?

Unfortunately for people like us, who were expecting a "Christmas" with this update and got an "April Fool's Day" surprise instead, the law is on Zenimax's side. There are paragraphs of that fine print, which contract lawyers like so much because its how they get rich, in the EULA and in the TOS that say you agreed that Zenimax can do this to you. The law says that if it was in the contract, regardless of how obscure its mention was, then you're bound to it when you sign it. That's why contracts are so long and boring to read: the companies that sell you the services described in them don't want you to be fully informed about the many ways the company reserves the right to cut you out and keep your money.

Now, although are contracts long and wordy and boring and so fine-printed that you strain your eyes to read them because the companies whose lawyers write them don't want you to come to the bargaining table with a clear picture of what you're actually being promised, it's true (despite this fact) that 90% of the time you aren't going to be scammed, not even in a manner that convoluted legalese has made quasi-legit. Most of the time, things work out. The sellers of services do more or less what the customers expected, and the customers stay happy and ignorant about what might have happened.

This is one of those exceptional occasions in which careful attention to the contract would have saved some of us two years of character-building effort, the cost of pets and mounts and content, the fruits of which costs and labor we are now deprived. And we agreed, long ago in early 2014, that we were OKAY with that. We just didn't know that we had agreed because we didn't spend the time (with a microscope) researching the contract.

...Or else we knew that there were probably provisions in the EULA or in the TOS that gave the service-provider an easy out (while keeping all the money we paid them), simply because it is customary in capitalist countries for contracts to be written in such manner, but we decided to gamble that Zenimax would keep faith with us, just as most companies do even when they aren't required to do so in strict legal terms. The nature of a gamble is that you don't always win.
    "Argonians have fat, scaly tails." —Rissa Manyclaws.
    "Once upon a time there were three sisters: Delicious, Delightful, and Disgusting. Now, Delicious and Delightful were both very pretty girls..." —Brendalyn Jurarde.
    "I smell to the nobility." —Indrasa Avani.
    "A bargain with an animal is not a contract made." —Haderus Atrimus.
    "Redguard makeup for sale. Free samples. Secret ingredients. Unique application method. Lots of satisfied customers." —The Mudball Goblin (aka, Cognac Vinecroft)
    "Your armor looks like underwear." —Shuns-the-Knife.
  • valiantspirit_ESO
    valiantspirit_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Wont wont they address why it worked fine on PTS with the NEW update and now it doesn't? This is the most frustrating part of all of this.Direct X 10.1 card worked fine in the Thieves guild update. I was riding a camel, all was fine. Please answer this question Zenimax
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An update from a new thread forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/251748/game-crashing-issues:
    First and foremost, there is currently a crash that we are working on fixing that is affecting many of you in various circumstances. While there’s no workaround at the moment, please understand that we are hard at work to address this as soon as possible.

....If you go through each of these steps and your game is still crashing, please wait until we have implemented a fix for the crash we are currently investigating.

I really hope this new fix is the answer. To be clear this fix is separate from the hotfix for fps losses, which many of you already downloaded and expected to fix your crashing issues.
  • djtzen
    djtzen
    Soul Shriven
    nordmeyerx wrote: »

Set your preferred GPU:

NVIDIA Graphics Cards

AMD Graphics Cards

a. Vertical sync- Off
    8. Click on "apply"

Warm Regards,

I got the same exact generic response. The "Warm Regards" like a dagger through my heart. Almost positive I have all requirements, only 2nd guessing myself now because nothing I do gets this game to work. Attached multiple reports to my support ticket. Would just like to know yes I can run or no I can't and if so move on to another game.
    Edited by djtzen on March 8, 2016 7:55PM