The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

FPS drop over time

• Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been on the PTS since the last update. My FPS are worse now in the cities such as Riften and Grahtwood. Normally I would expect drops there with all the players but those zones are empty on the PTS. I start out at 100+ and it will stay there until I move. I drop to 20 and then it gets super choppy with the FPS ranging from 20-45. It was smoother before the last update in those zones. My fps in the DB new zone are staying around 80+ in the city on the latest PTS patch.
    Edited by Seravi on May 10, 2016 7:30AM
  • reActor1
    reActor1
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AlexTardif Until the issue is solved, could we use a script command (or sort of) to avoid relogging?
    I think of something able to temporary "clean" the memory, reboot the stucked process or such.
    It would be extremely useful to mitigate our frustration.
    [PC][EU]
  • Sarousse
    Sarousse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarousse wrote: »
    @ZOS_AlexTardif

Will we get any improvements in tomorrow's patch ?

Hi @Sarousse, currently the performance-related changes are being made on PTS so they can be safely tested before going out in Dark Brotherhood, and because we can push incrementals to it more frequently while testing. We have reports and analysis from PTS that performance has improved there. If possible, it would be great if you could give the PTS a shot and see how performance has changed for you, and report back here with your results. Any information is helpful!

Thanks for the answer.

I've tried to do some tests on the PTS, unfortunately it's not relevant because it lacked players to create massive effects.

During my tests against guards, I didn't notice a FPS drop.
    Edited by Sarousse on May 7, 2016 2:57PM
  • Martinus72
    Martinus72
    ✭✭✭✭
    After installing Nvidia's new drivers with a clean install, the game's been fine for me. Some dips every now and then but it's at least playable now.

Not really, new drivers with a clean install here on 980M and particle leak still exist, you won't see it by playing solo but you will see it clearly after joining particle heavy zergs like Wrothgar world bosses. Have to relog after each of those.
  • Sarousse
    Sarousse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AlexTardif Are you also working on the blurry textures bug (brown mud on ground) that we have been suffering for monthes ?

I've had this bug after 15 minutes in Cyrodiil withtout doing anything special, on x32 and x64 client.
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After a couple hours of play I always /reloadui.
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• slowpoke68
    I would note I have the exact same problem as the OP described. Just started playing around the beginning of May and thought I was crazy. Glad to see I'm not the only experiencing this issue. Here is to hoping it gets fixed or at least there is a work around rather than relogging.
  • reActor1
    reActor1
    ✭✭✭
    slowpoke68 wrote: »
    [...] a work around rather than relogging.

@ZOS_AlexTardif any chance to see this implemented?
    Thanks
    [PC][EU]
  • Chimaera13
    Chimaera13
    ✭✭
    It's awesome to see ZOS being so communicative about this. Too many companies neglect this, and it's important to me that I not feel like I'm abandoned... especially if I'm considering using cash store.

I've been experiencing this very problem for the last couple of weeks or so. I had chalked it up to Windows 10 (which has performance issues in many games, and from the start was not as good with ESO as 8.1) and so reinstalled 8.1 etc. over the weekend. Was briefly thrilled to have my FPS (and it looked better for some reason) back, but then it was exhibiting this problem again. Mind you, ESO had not given me this problem previously unlike other users here. My FPS drop is pretty painful, from say ~30 to ~8.

I've tried a number of things, and so far nothing seems to be a clear solution. In fact, attempts at solution have not been enough to even begin assessing a statistical probability that could yield useful clues.

I'll be happy to assist in triage for this, but my experience in QA is limited to Linux and so I'd need a bit more direction to be effective.
  • Chimaera13
    Chimaera13
    ✭✭
    UPDATE: @ZOS_AlexTardif

Earlier in the thread I saw a user mention that he'd toggle in and out of Fullscreen to resolve the behavior. I thought I should test that out.

I discovered the following:

Toggling in and out of Fullscreen/Windowed did improve FPS bringing it up to ~2/3 normal.

I then toggled the 'Minimal' graphic preset, and then toggled up to 'High'. This (after a looong loading screen) brought my FPS back to normal at high 20's/low 30's.

I suspect the latter behavior may be somehow related to previous observations where it appeared deleting the shader cache would fully or partially restore the FPS.
    Edited by Chimaera13 on May 20, 2016 6:47PM
  • Martinus72
    Martinus72
    ✭✭✭✭
    greylox wrote: »
    After a couple hours of play I always /reloadui.

This doesn't fix particle leak, to get FPS back to normal relog is needed.
  • Chimaera13
    Chimaera13
    ✭✭
    I also noticed that when these problems occur, they tend to be accompanied by slow pings and/or disconnections.
    Unlike previously ESO and DX11 programs are having trouble correctly factoring to fullscreen when resolution is lower than native on my Optimus laptop.

Based on what is being seen, I think the problem is a race condition.
  • slowpoke68
    Chimaera13 wrote: »
    It's awesome to see ZOS being so communicative about this. Too many companies neglect this, and it's important to me that I not feel like I'm abandoned... especially if I'm considering using cash store.

I've been experiencing this very problem for the last couple of weeks or so. I had chalked it up to Windows 10 (which has performance issues in many games, and from the start was not as good with ESO as 8.1) and so reinstalled 8.1 etc. over the weekend. Was briefly thrilled to have my FPS (and it looked better for some reason) back, but then it was exhibiting this problem again. Mind you, ESO had not given me this problem previously unlike other users here. My FPS drop is pretty painful, from say ~30 to ~8.

I've tried a number of things, and so far nothing seems to be a clear solution. In fact, attempts at solution have not been enough to even begin assessing a statistical probability that could yield useful clues.

I'll be happy to assist in triage for this, but my experience in QA is limited to Linux and so I'd need a bit more direction to be effective.

I agree, usually devs reply to this situation by blaming the player and saying there is something wrong with their internet connection or computer.

So kudos for acknowledging the problem.
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still having the same issues. Logged in last night and had 80 FPS. That will stay until I move. It then drops to 20 and below the entire time I am moving. When I stop it then shoots back up to 80 or more.
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any word on this mess? I have spent the last hour trying to play at 20 fps or less.....
  • Chimaera13
    Chimaera13
    ✭✭
    slowpoke68 wrote: »
    Chimaera13 wrote: »

I agree, usually devs reply to this situation by blaming the player and saying there is something wrong with their internet connection or computer.

So kudos for acknowledging the problem.

Oh, they still do if you put in a ticket. But not here on the forum in public.
  • Sarousse
    Sarousse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AlexTardif

Hi,

The problem is still here. After a few minutes of intense pvp in cyrodiil, FPS goes down to 20-30 from 60 dans never goes up again. The DB patch did nothing.

Also, I faced again the blurry texture bug yersterday.

Please, do something about this, we just want the FPS to behave normally during pvp fights.
    Edited by Sarousse on June 2, 2016 2:54PM
  • reActor1
    reActor1
    ✭✭✭
    currently the performance-related changes are being made on PTS so they can be safely tested before going out in Dark Brotherhood, and because we can push incrementals to it more frequently while testing. We have reports and analysis from PTS that performance has improved there. If possible, it would be great if you could give the PTS a shot and see how performance has changed for you, and report back here with your results. Any information is helpful!
    @ZOS_AlexTardif it's been almost a month since your last, hopefull message.
    We all know the issue hasn't been fixed yet. DB just came out and nothing changed.
    Even worse, now you have to deal with the new just introduced bugs, so our already low priority has been even more lowered, probably.
    Don't be afraid, drop us a couple of words more frequently.
    The people who spent a lot of time providing details on the issue deserve something more than 1 month of silence, even an "Unfortunately, this issue has not one of the highest priority and won't be fixed in a close future" would be better.
    [PC][EU]
  • ZOS_AlexTardif
    ZOS_AlexTardif
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone!

Make no mistake, the game's performance is a top priority, and is something we've spent quite a bit of resources on. The majority of the feedback we've seen from DB (both in forums and our analytics) is that framerates have gone up, and that permanent drops are much less frequent. If you're still experiencing these issues, please include your hardware information, OS, and add-ons used so we can track which devices might still be having problems. That way, we can test using similar hardware.

As for continuing changes, the patch notes will have specifics, but there are a couple of significant changes on the way in upcoming incremental patches that will definitely help with performance. Stay tuned!
    Zenimax Online Studios
    Staff Post
  • zerosingularity
    zerosingularity
    ✭✭✭✭
    Currently on a Windows 10 pro laptop, i7 4700MQ and gtx 765m 2gig.

I have noticed lower framerates overall, mostly in vMA. That and I have to reload UI more often to clear some of it up. Most addons are the usual Master Merchant, Minimap, Awesome guildstore, etc...
    NA-PC

Kaineth - Stamina Nightblade (Weakest Player Ever!)
    Elena Stormwood - Magicka Sorcerer (vMA no Death 12/21/15 Score 401148)
    Sheila Feyrondas - Magicka Dragonknight Tank (Frost staves are gonna be fun!)

*Disclaimer* I fail at emotional communication, so assume what I say is NOT meant to be offensive.
  • Sarousse
    Sarousse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AlexTardif

On my 2 computers

2x Ati 290X (with or without crossfire)
    I5 3870k
    16 Gb ram
    SDD

or laptop
    Nvidia 980m
    16 Gb ram
    i7 4720HQ
    SSD

Please, understand that it's not a low FPS problem. The FPS is good (50 to 60 everywhere when I start).

It's a permanent FPS loss problem. It just starts to decrease minutes after minutes in Cyrodiil, until it gets to 20-30, and never goes up again.

It's not happening to me only, it's happening to everyone. It's not hardware related.

It's like a memory leak from your engine, or some bad programing on the lightning engine that you need to fix.

Please note that this didn't happen before you changed the lightning engine monthes ago (can't remember the patch).

At this time, we didn't have the permanent FPS loss, neither the blurry textures.

If you wish, I can do a video showing it. But I can't believe that you are unable to reproduce it. You just have to log in Cyrodiil in an heavy population campaign, fight in heavy AoE situation for 15-20 minutes, and you will see the problem.
    Edited by Sarousse on June 2, 2016 6:06PM
  • ZOS_AlexTardif
    ZOS_AlexTardif
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AlexTardif

On my 2 computers

I5 3870k
    16 Gb ram
    SDD

or laptop
    Nvidia 980m
    16 Gb ram
    i7 4720HQ
    SSD

Please, understand that it's not a low FPS problem. The FPS is good (50 to 60 everywhere when I start).

It's a permanent FPS loss problem. It just starts to decrease minutes after minutes in Cyrodiil, until it gets to 20-30, and never goes up again.

It's not happening to me only, it's happening to everyone. It's not hardware related.

It's like a memory leak from your engine, or some bad programing on the lightning engine that you need to fix.

Please note that this didn't happen before you changed the lightning engine monthes ago (can't remember the patch).

At this time, we didn't have the permanent FPS loss, neither the blurry textures.

If you wish, I can do a video showing it. But I can't believe that you are unable to reproduce it. You just have to log in Cyrodiil in an heavy population campaign, fight in heavy AoE situation for 15-20 minutes, and you will see the problem.

We do understand that the permanent FPS drop is still going on for some of you, but based on feedback, analytics, and our own experiences running around alongside you all in Cyrodiil, it isn't happening for everyone (nor a majority), so any additional information you can provide would be very useful! Videos are great way to help give us context, as well as screen caps of your CPU-core usage in task manager.

In addition, we also do spend time on improving frame-rates in general. We've been making big efforts on both fronts for DB and for the coming incremental patches, so do keep us updated with whether or not things improve!
    Zenimax Online Studios
    Staff Post
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think most folks at this point should mention if they are running the 64 bit client and if they have done a full reinstall since beta. I've heard stories of mark improvements with both, but it may not help all issues.
    Herfi Driderkitty of the Aldmeri Dominion
    Find me on : Twitch | Youtube | Twitter | Reddit
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    HeroOfNone wrote: »
    I think most folks at this point should mention if they are running the 64 bit client and if they have done a full reinstall since beta. I've heard stories of mark improvements with both, but it may not help all issues.

64 bit client and Cyrodiil hates each other. I have never been able to play more than 10 minutes in Cyro with 64 bit client. My game always crashes.
    Because I can!
  • Sarousse
    Sarousse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I will provide you a video and the requested information as soon as possible :)
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AlexTardif, I had over 100 FPS before TG release. I tested TG on the PTS and reported constant FPS drops once I started moving around in the new zone as well as existing zones. The game has never recovered for me. I don't PVP much at all. My gut game time is PVE only. I had to quit after an hour last night in Stormhaven playing my AD vet. The FPS would be at 80 or above until I moved. If I rode my mount, sprinted, walked or engaged enemies it dropped to 20 and then dropped and stayed around 10 FPS. Horrid.....

Here are my specs. Putting name brands here in case any of that matters on hardware. ESO is on a dedicated drive for this game only.

Asus X99-E WS (Intel X99 chipset)
    Intel i7-5960X CPU
    Corsair H110i GTX Extreme CPU Liquid Cooler
    32GB RAM
    (2) EVGA GTX980Ti Classified ACX 2.0+(SLI)
    850 EVO Pro OS & Game SSD drives
    SeaSonic Platinum Series 1200W PSU
    Windows 7 x64 SP1

If there is anything else you need from me, please let me know. Will be more than happy to help!
    Edited by Seravi on June 2, 2016 8:29PM
  • ginoboehm
    ginoboehm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AlexTardif

On my 2 computers

I5 3870k
    16 Gb ram
    SDD

or laptop
    Nvidia 980m
    16 Gb ram
    i7 4720HQ
    SSD

We do understand that the permanent FPS drop is still going on for some of you, but based on feedback, analytics, and our own experiences running around alongside you all in Cyrodiil, it isn't happening for everyone (nor a majority), so any additional information you can provide would be very useful! Videos are great way to help give us context, as well as screen caps of your CPU-core usage in task manager.

In addition, we also do spend time on improving frame-rates in general. We've been making big efforts on both fronts for DB and for the coming incremental patches, so do keep us updated with whether or not things improve!

based on my experience none of you is pvping or is doing anything but role playing otherwise you would have designed a better update so excuse me but i go with the impression of all my guild mates and everybody i asked over your "analytic"
  • RDMyers65b14_ESO
    RDMyers65b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Er, actually I have a 50% INCREASE in my fps with the patch combined with the 64 bit client...until there is a big battle which will drop it to 2 fps.
  • GeertKarel
    GeertKarel
    ✭✭✭
    Still in trials I normally have on ultra between 25-30 frames gtx 980 (few settings lower such as shadows etc)

but after a few hours i just have barely 10 frames.. gtx 980 and 10 frames loool!!! well when I reload my ui it fixes itself.... but its always risky to use /reloadui because you never know if you are in a 10s reloadui or a 5-10minute one... can't really be bothered to let ppl wait 10 minutes on me...
    Server: EU Pact
    Guild: Hodor
  • Taonnor
    Taonnor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AlexTardif

On my 2 computers

I5 3870k
    16 Gb ram
    SDD

or laptop
    Nvidia 980m
    16 Gb ram
    i7 4720HQ
    SSD

Hi,

i attached my DxDiag and a zip of my addons and settings (Addons/SavedVariables/AddonSettings/UserSettings).

I have modified one setting in my "UserSettings" file beside of what is configurable via IG UI. I reduced the PFX maximum to 64, instead of 768. -> SET PFX_GLOBAL_MAXIMUM "64"

These fix in my settings file gave me massive fps back. I do not go down under 20fps in large fights and i still see all importand animations (My personal feeling). I played since TG with these settings.

My observations to DB

- My overall FPS was going much more down than before (under 20fps)
    - There are much more lag spikes in pvp (server side) in large fights
    - Memory leak in LUA

I have played today with the new nameplates. So it could be the fps difference between TG and DB are frome the nameplates? I need more time to test it or if one of the addons are the reason of the fps difference.

The memory leak in LUA can be a reason too. I have observed that the used MB jumps up with opening of the new crafting bag for ESO Plus members.

@ZOS_AlexTardif i hope you can use that informations

Regards
    Tao
    Guild

Gildenleiter von Lux Dei (EU/AD). Offizieller Gildenspotlight für ESOTU!
    Guild leader of Lux Dei (EU/AD). Official Guild Spotlight for ESOTU!

Addons & Guides

ESOUI Author Portal: Taonnor
    Addons: Taos AP Session, Taos Group Tools

Myth AoE Cap: DE Mythos AoE Cap // EN Myth AoE Cap

What should i change in ESO: DE [DGR] Was würde ich an ESO verändern - "Der große Rundumschlag" // EN [TWS] What should i change in ESO – „The sweeping statement“

Charakters

Taonnor Annare, Sorcerer
    Thao Annare, Nightblade
This discussion has been closed.