The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

FPS drop over time

• Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Darkstorne the patch has been delayed by one day as announced here.

Thanks for the info! Fingers crossed this fixes it. Will report back at the end of the week - away on work until Friday :neutral:
  • Sarousse
    Sarousse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again everyone!

Our first attempt at fixing the permanent FPS drop will be in Monday's incremental patch (for PC). We believe there's more to this particular issue than what we discovered on the surface, so we're continuing to dive deeper into a number of systems to find any other potential root causes, as well as giving a hard look at certain systems that we know can perform better in general. We've also added some internal metrics so that we can better monitor issues like this one in the future before they go to Live.

After you guys get the patch, we'd love to know if it has improved or resolved the permanent FPS drop. We'll be checking this thread for any updates/information, and will be in Cyrodiil as well to see the effect of the changes. This is best tested by going into Cyrodiil and watching your Task Manager performance for one core maxing out constantly and never going back down, even after fights have completed. We still expect uneven distribution across cores with some doing more work than others (which is what we're working on now), but we're expecting improvement (or resolution) to the permanent drop.
    Hi again everyone!

Our first attempt at fixing the permanent FPS drop will be in Monday's incremental patch (for PC). We believe there's more to this particular issue than what we discovered on the surface, so we're continuing to dive deeper into a number of systems to find any other potential root causes, as well as giving a hard look at certain systems that we know can perform better in general. We've also added some internal metrics so that we can better monitor issues like this one in the future before they go to Live.

After you guys get the patch, we'd love to know if it has improved or resolved the permanent FPS drop. We'll be checking this thread for any updates/information, and will be in Cyrodiil as well to see the effect of the changes. This is best tested by going into Cyrodiil and watching your Task Manager performance for one core maxing out constantly and never going back down, even after fights have completed. We still expect uneven distribution across cores with some doing more work than others (which is what we're working on now), but we're expecting improvement (or resolution) to the permanent drop.

Great news, I've been waiting for this for ages.

Gonna test it tonight and give feedback.

• Sarousse
    Sarousse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AlexTardif

Well, as usual, the fix did nothing.

At Cyrodiil entrance, 60 FPS.

Fought in zerg with massive effects for 15 minutes, got back to entrance, exact same place, 45 FPS.

• Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep same issues for me in PVE. Start out at 100 FPS then if I do much of anything it drops to 35 and continues to drop until I logout and back in. Rinse and repeat. I went from an almost flawless game concerning FPS before the TG release to not being able to play at all since the release of TG. I am still on the 32 bit client since the 64 bit is worse.

There seems to be some sort of memory leak possibly. I stayed around 1.5-1.6 and now that the fps issue is kicking in I am up to 2.6 gigs and climbing just standing still.

Took a quick screen of my Task Manager. Still have the one core pegged.

keeEmYe.jpg?2

System Specs:
    X99-E WS (Intel X99 chipset)
    i7-5960X CPU
    H110i GTX Extreme CPU Liquid Cooler
    32GB RAM
    (2) EVGA GTX980Ti Classified ACX 2.0+(SLI)
    850 EVO Pro OS & Game SSD drives
    1200W PSU
    Windows 7 x64 SP1
    Edited by Seravi on April 14, 2016 9:03AM
  • ZOS_AlexTardif
    ZOS_AlexTardif
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Sarousse and @Seravi thanks for letting us know! A couple days ago we found another problem that would cause these same results, and we're actively working on fixing that one right now. We'll keep on this and continue to post here with updates as each fix comes in until this is resolved. Thanks again for your patience and posts!
    Zenimax Online Studios
    Staff Post
  • zerosingularity
    zerosingularity
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for keeping us up to date on this. I would like to mention again that some of the FPS drops are not just related to 1 core ramping up to max and staying there. I just did a run-through on vet Maelstrom Arena using the 32-bit client, and I had to re-log during the run because my FPS went down significantly (30 fps as opposed to 50-60 in-combat) I monitored my individual core usage, and not one of my cores peaked out for even a moment.

I would love to test this on the 64-bit client, but that is unplayable at the moment.
    Edited by zerosingularity on April 15, 2016 5:58PM
    NA-PC

Kaineth - Stamina Nightblade (Weakest Player Ever!)
    Elena Stormwood - Magicka Sorcerer (vMA no Death 12/21/15 Score 401148)
    Sheila Feyrondas - Magicka Dragonknight Tank (Frost staves are gonna be fun!)

*Disclaimer* I fail at emotional communication, so assume what I say is NOT meant to be offensive.
  • BigBressler
    BigBressler
    ✭✭
    I think I found a solution. For me at least. I went into my display settings and turned off my 2nd monitor, and everything went back to normal. Eventually the fps dropped again, and I turned it back on. Somehow every time I turn off and on my 2nd monitor, it fixes the FPS. Also switching between full screen and full screen (windowed) fixes the issue on my end.
    Main: Ioannes Jun Bressler - CP 560+ - Imperial Templar Tank
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AlexTardif, thanks for the update! :)
  • Martinus72
    Martinus72
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just a heads up after some testing. It's much better and smoother experience on 64 bit client after last patch but this leak still exist although is not as severe as before. I can see it after particle heavy period of time like world bosses zergs in Wrothgar fps is dropping from rock stable 60 to 52-55 or so and stays there, need to relog to fix it. Previously it was dropping to 30's so it is a step in right direction.
    Haven't experienced any sound glitches yet since patch. Keep up good work guys.
  • jpsgamingb14_ESO
    jpsgamingb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Still a lot of stutter after patch. Even tried changing the settings on usersettings.txt for the cores but it didnt help.

1 core is maxed (The first one, it may not look like it but the blue tint is full) Rest are chilling.

ESO_Core_Use.png

Also another one

ESO_Core_Use_Core_Temp.png

Thanks

• FaoraUll
    FaoraUll
    Soul Shriven
    Hi to every one!
    I have some time to read the discussion on this topic and would like to contribute to the solution of the problem, and to share my problem.
    Since the launch of DLS Thieves Guild, I also suffer from FPS drops and stuttering in any locations. After a short time after the start of the game my usual FPS of 60 - 70 starts jumping and falling down about in this way: 60 - 45 - 30 - 58 - 25 - 40 - 35 - 55 and so on, and the picture begins to stutterins and FPS drops down.

I have a long communicate about this issue with ZOS technical support, in the end they gave me a link to this thread :)

I tried a lot of things to do to solve this problem, reinstall the client, reinstall the Windows, clean my system bu Auslogis all didn't help.

But!

By pure accident I found out that when i start the my system from sleep mode and turn on the game everything is working fine! There is no stuttering and FPS drops no more.

72444075ff07.png

5694c00773eb.png
    Faora Nael - Bosmer Nightblade, V16, RDD Magic
    Aldmeri Dominion, Thunderbirds guild, Russia
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I REALLY hope this is fixed before the DB DLC hits. I haven't been able to play since TG was released. :( I tried to play Friday night with no luck. FPS dropped down to 15 in PVE. Strange thing is my FPS in PVP is amazing but I don't PVP much. I only went in to test out the FPS there and see if there was any difference. I was getting 85 FPS in battle. Please can I have my old 100+ FPS in PVE back? :)
    Edited by Seravi on April 25, 2016 12:12PM
  • Tinolyn
    Tinolyn
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt this will be fixed before then. Here we go, another week without a patch for an issue that in this thread ZOS mentioned they found and are working on.

And since they deleted the 64-bit client issues thread on the General forum, I'm guessing they don't really care to hear it.
  • Treadpool
    Treadpool
    ✭✭
    FWIW, after not playing since the TG patch, I logged in yesterday and am getting a portion of the frames I got before. I'd be around 70-80 before and now I'm mostly 40-50. This is with SLI on or off. Single GPU usage is max 40-50%, SLI usage is 20-30% each.
  • Furniture
    Furniture
    ✭✭
    /Reloadui usually fixes it for some people.
  • Treadpool
    Treadpool
    ✭✭
    Furniture wrote: »

No
  • Göttermutter
    Göttermutter
    ✭✭
    *Laughs*

I am sorry to imagine that and maybe i have the solution for you, because i tried out all and recherched not on this game, but on others or in Forums with similuar problems all over the world.
    To begin, i looked out for amd prozessors with more kernels and ati grafic cards, but like i heared all have the same problems with some games, that the kernel of the prozessor will not used correct and so on ... .
    Solution could be:
    1.) Be sure your compi gets some fresh air and is cleaned up
    2.) You must go into the BIOS and set all Energysavings there -on default-
    I wrote it down,which settings, you must set on default- until tomorrow i found it out, is is only one option to not let handle the BIOS on the motherboard the energy saving automaticly,
    or the prozessor kernels,specially the one of amd get some problems to handle it correctly.
    3.) next you must go on your computer configuration, so called systemconfiguration
    here on Energysettings, get te icconpoint that windows let it handle "ausgeglichen", i guess perfoermed in english
    4.) Restart check the entrances by that, also them in the bios and test it out

I hope you win! :)
    Edited by Göttermutter on April 26, 2016 2:11PM
  • Furniture
    Furniture
    ✭✭
    Treadpool wrote: »
    Furniture wrote: »

No

What about restarting the game/client? Or switching to windowed mode.
    Edited by Furniture on April 27, 2016 4:37AM
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am testing DB on the PTS. FPS issues still remain there. :( I go from 100+ FPS to 20 in a few steps. I haven't gotten past the first step of the beginning quest in the new zone to start the DB due to FPS issues...ugh!!

Blade of Woe is amazing but when your FPS is jumping around like a hot potato, sneaking doesn't work so well.
    Edited by Seravi on April 27, 2016 11:07AM
  • Göttermutter
    Göttermutter
    ✭✭
    I guess you dont try my options and dont read the hole file! :)
  • ZOS_AlexTardif
    ZOS_AlexTardif
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone! We are still working on this, there's just a lot of causes that can make this sort of problem happen. We have some large frame-rate related improvements in the works, and rest assured that we're not waiting for big releases to get the fixes in. When we have improvements available, they will come with the incremental patches. It's just that the changes we're making are large enough that we need to do extensive testing internally to ensure everything still works correctly.
    Zenimax Online Studios
    Staff Post
  • Weberda
    Weberda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone! We are still working on this, there's just a lot of causes that can make this sort of problem happen. We have some large frame-rate related improvements in the works, and rest assured that we're not waiting for big releases to get the fixes in. When we have improvements available, they will come with the incremental patches. It's just that the changes we're making are large enough that we need to do extensive testing internally to ensure everything still works correctly.

Is this a new policy for you guys? :trollface:
    Fernwood, EP Haderus NA
    Lo Behold, AD Thornblade NA (formerly Haderus, inactive)
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weberda wrote: »

Is this a new policy for you guys? :trollface:

savage
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    /reloadui works for me when things get choppy.
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also have this stuttering after certain playing time, but simply reloading characters or ultimately quiting and starting game again works fine. I got used to this "feature" of ESO, so stopped complaining, but since you work on this, I'll be happy to have it improved some day :).
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    greylox wrote: »
    /reloadui works for me when things get choppy.

sometimes.

other times, like yesterday, it had little effect and the jitterbugging and rubberbanding eventually went away on it's own, although the fps remained dishearteningly low.

stand still - 99fps, take one step - <20fps. (hew's bane, wrothgar)

even when it 'normalized' the fps decay continued.
  • Sarousse
    Sarousse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AlexTardif

Will we get any improvements in tomorrow's patch ?
  • Martinus72
    Martinus72
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sarousse wrote: »
    @ZOS_AlexTardif

Sadly no, this patch is a big lacklustre. Nothing bout improving this graphical leak nor fixing sound issues.
    Let us hope the big incoming main patch will bring some changes.
  • ZOS_AlexTardif
    ZOS_AlexTardif
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sarousse wrote: »
    @ZOS_AlexTardif

Hi @Sarousse, currently the performance-related changes are being made on PTS so they can be safely tested before going out in Dark Brotherhood, and because we can push incrementals to it more frequently while testing. We have reports and analysis from PTS that performance has improved there. If possible, it would be great if you could give the PTS a shot and see how performance has changed for you, and report back here with your results. Any information is helpful!
    Zenimax Online Studios
    Staff Post
  • BigBressler
    BigBressler
    ✭✭
    After installing Nvidia's new drivers with a clean install, the game's been fine for me. Some dips every now and then but it's at least playable now.
    Main: Ioannes Jun Bressler - CP 560+ - Imperial Templar Tank
This discussion has been closed.