FPS drop over time

• andros1983
    andros1983
    Soul Shriven
    Please fix this!!!!!!
  • Marlon018BR
    Marlon018BR
    ✭✭
    Solve this problem! 1 year ago I stopped playing and now I decided to continue, but the problem remains the same! I have been playing since the beginning of 2015 and for a long time everything worked normal.
  • Malmai
    Malmai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its really annoying after some time u get rollbacks n stuff...
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm joining the list.....sadly!!!

My issue may be slightly different: I get random drops of FPS that generally last for about 15 seconds. After that all gets back to normality. Any ideas?
  • NavyElk
    NavyElk
    Soul Shriven
    I have a pretty decent rig. i7 6th Gen, 16GB DDR4, GTX980, WIN10 64bit and 2 SSD drives (256GB and 980GB) no normal HDs in my system.
    After being on for an Hour or so I notice huge drop in FPS and it stays right around 30 FPS but its a huge difference in performance(feels like 15 FPS) and (not talking in Cities talking out playing/grinding) Lag is not only in FPS but also there is input lag as well, trying to click on abilities, and they dont always register. A /reloadui helps sometimes, it might get me back up to 40-45 FPS but still have visual and input lag. If I close game and re-open again it does resolve it. But that really shouldnt have to happen.

So this issue has been going on for over a year from what this post is saying. Is this being worked on?
  • Armes
    Armes
    Maybe this can help to someone:
    My computer:
    i5-4460
    8 GB RAM
    Win 10
    R9 380X AMD 4 GB (but started at HD 7850 1GB with the same issue)

The same issue as almost of you- FPS drops during the playing.
    After loading game: graphic card running at 100% ant FPS around 100 environment, 50-60 cities (1980x1020 full HD, all settings maximized). After a while (20 min...)start FPS oscillate: at the same place between 30-100 and activity of graphic card oscillate too and scene start flicker. Change location or reload help, but only for while, oscillate start again.
    Its not hardware or software. At another games, graphic card running all time at 100% with full possible FPS.
    That´s look like graphic card going to idle for a while, than start again to work at full power. No idea why.....

So my solution:
    activate virtual super resolution function at your AMD driver (you need monitor with DP 1.2 to support it and graphic card support it).
    At game settings, change resolution from 1980x1020 to 3840x2160 - virtual 4K resolution. And miracle is here!
    Yes, FPS going down, BUT steady around 40-50 FPS and scene is steady, no flickering (and graphic card running all time at full power, no causeless relaxing)!! At hard situation (tested at winter festival, first day in Windhelm around Breda station) FPS going down to 25-30, but scene stay steady and if you don´t know how much FPS you have, you don´t recognize different (for PvPers will be better get down some settings at Cirodil´s battle).

So now I´m enjoying playing and hope to help to someone.
    And for developer: look why game don´t use all possible power of graphic card, this idle´s moment during the playing are not normal (I have all power energy savers switch off, so there no reason why card relaxing)
  • treyh0
    treyh0
    Soul Shriven
    The fix for me:

1) Right click desktop
    2) Open Nvidia Control Panel
    3) Select "Manage 3D Settings" on the left
    4) Under "Global Settings" on the right, change "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance"
    5) Click Apply
    6) Close Nvidia Control Panel
    7) Enjoy ESO as expected
  • Camatoo
    Camatoo
    treyh0 wrote: »
    The fix for me:

1) Right click desktop
    2) Open Nvidia Control Panel
    3) Select "Manage 3D Settings" on the left
    4) Under "Global Settings" on the right, change "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance"
    5) Click Apply
    6) Close Nvidia Control Panel
    7) Enjoy ESO as expected

tried it, did not work.
    I have after 1-2h of playtime every 2sec a fps drop and the game beginns to "stuck".
    Relog helps but now also the mouse begins to freak out, it looks like the DPI is mixed up, somethings i cant move the camera at all, then its like i have 2400DPI.

Its really annoying, happens regardless where i am, even at the end of tamriel with noone around me, the fps still seems to drop to 10-20fps and the game stucks all the time.
    graphic drivers are all new, every other game works perfectly fine, i can run 2 clients of EVE, WoW and watch a movie on firefox.

Edit: maybe the same problem, but when im in VoM and we are fighting the second last boss (that titan dragon) my FPS drops to 8-17 over the whole fight.
    Edited by Camatoo on December 24, 2016 1:11PM
  • theslynx
    theslynx
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting this, too. Not a problem in other titles, and I have reasonably powerful hardware (Win10 system w/ 1070, i5, 16gb RAM, game on SSD) with up-to-date drivers. Tried disabling add-ons, changing settings, checking power management, disabling background software, etc. Nothing seems to work. Have monitored temps and power, and they're fine.

After roughly 30-60 minutes of being in a zone, my fps begins to steadily decline, from north of 60 into the 30s. Changing the map or relogging seems to offer a temporary fix: half an hour later, the decline begins again.

Edit: typo.

Edit 2:

Ran the program again this evening, questing in Bangkorai, with some monitoring software in the background. Tried setting the graphics down a few pegs (draw distances at 65, medium shadows, medium reflections). My CPU (i5 4570) usage seems to be randomly hitting 100% at times but is mostly lower than that, while my GPU is barely taxed; temps are fine. However, My RAM usage while running ESO is steadily increasing, from around 5 GB (out of 16 GB total) on the program's initiation to 7+ GB after about 40 minutes, by which point my fps started to chug downwards to the high 30s. Closing ESO returns my RAM usage to its normal Windows 10 baseline (around 2 GB).
    Edited by theslynx on December 30, 2016 3:49PM
  • Ajaxduo
    Ajaxduo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have this problem :( i7-3770k, 16gb ram, gtx 970. I've tried many times over changing the nvidia settings but nothing helps. Therefore I have to hide in unpopulated areas and play for an hour at a time before the performance becomes terrible. Do the devs know about this @ZOS_GinaBruno ?
    - - -
    GM of Verum Aeternus, PC EU
    - - -
  • MrTonbo
    MrTonbo
    Soul Shriven
    Same problem...

Intel Core i5-6400
    Radeon RX 470 GAMING X 4G
    16 GB RAM (2133)
    Win 10 PRO

Any updates?
  • MrTonbo
    MrTonbo
    Soul Shriven
    I can confirm that I have the same problem but theres something I learned because I was undecisive about my chars so I spent a lot of time in the newbie zones.

In the AD newbie island, which I played and completed 4 different times over the course of a week, i can play for about 30 mins before the fps becomes unbearable which I can fix by just logging out and logging back in. (without closing the client)

However, in Auridon I can go about 3-4 hours to reach that same unbearable point. I've tried just about everything you can imagine I started by reading up on fps drops and recommended graphics tweaks etc. I went through that popular reddit thread making multiple suggestions like https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/3jjoql/are_you_having_fps_issues_wih_eso_on_a_pc_well/
    Tried everything in the thread, on and off, different mixes, reinstalled older nvidia drivers, updated to the current ones, even ran nvidia driver cleaners, reinstalled the game, tried a different ssd, disable vsync, set a hard fps limit with nvidia profile inspector, tried all kinds of settings in there as well and finally just reverted all to default including the game and really only one thing has remained consistent through all these tests: the fps drops slowly until it reaches 15-20 after which it does not get any worse no matter how long I keep playing. Hell I even unparked my CPU's in my windows registry just in case. Also found out about ESO launcher aka hook64/32. Tried both 32 and 64 bit versions of the game with and without hook64 and hook32. Look the list just goes on and on.

For now I can accept 3+ hours of gametime before having to relog so whatever, but I sure hope things dont get worse again in different maps. FYI I've been fiddling around for a decade and a half with games and computers in general so no, before anyone wastes their time sending me suggestions, theres nothing running in the background that could cause drops, i dont have an antivirus, i dont have viruses, yada yada the whole shebang... Theres def. something wrong with the client itself.

System specs:
    Geforce GTX 970 (up to date drivers)
    Intel i5 750 (quad core) 2.66ghz overclocked @ 3.2ghz (yes with latest bios/firmware /etc)
    Windows 7 (up to date)
    16gb of ram

EDIT: These experiences were before the latest patch mentioned in this thread. I have zero willpower left to spend an hour in noobville to test out the latest patch sorry.

The most comprehensive answer that I have found.

Must be read before you write something concerning the topic...
  • Cambion2401
    Cambion2401
    ✭✭✭
    I'll add myself to the list of people with FPS problems. Been a lot in gold coast for the DB stuff lately and it's horrible. I tested today for the last time and it's still here. I didn't activated my forum account in time so while I waited for that I also asked if Zenimax Online knew this was still going on and if so, for an ETA for a fix (It's a if I didn't want to do my dailies I would call it unplayable, because drops from 60fps (60hgz screen, fps is actually around 175) to 20 aren't funny). Also relogging doesn't work. Sometimes, I have the problem when I just start up my pc, and the eso right afterwards. it are only certain area's tho. Additionally, I have a good internet connection and and how much people are online doesn't seem to matter at all.

Here's the beautiful conversation I had with Zenimax, starting with what seems to be a template but forgotten to actually write some information in there, then going to messages that almost seem autogenerated wondering if I have been able to find a solution just to get the same message again. Do they even read? How should I know what Zenimax knows and what their ETAs are if they don't tell? Like, I get it if there are a lot of tickets, but 3 times? I gave up on this ticket by now. I haven't even replied back. but in case someone from Zenimax is reading, I still don't know. You don't need to ask, I rather have an actual answer.

Anyways, more information about my case can be found in the first message I send to Zenimax, all the way below in this beautiful conversation. And yes, I'm kinda irritated, sorry. I work in IT support myself right now and know how annoying too much costumers can be, but I never had this kind of problems before with Zenimax and the FPS drops are driving me mad. I'm a software engineer (IT support is part time for now), I know this is most likely not an issue that's fixed tomorrow. I don't even expect it to be fixed soon honestly (just seeing how long it runs). But I do expect something. Just tell us what's going on...

Response By (Carlee) (01/20/2017 09:01 PM)
    Greetings again,

We are currently experiencing very high ticket volume and we apologize for your long wait. We value your patronage and are doing our best to respond to each customer’s issue.

If you still need help from an agent, please reply to this email so that we may continue to assist you.

We apologize for the wait and thank you for your continued patience.

Warm Regards,

The Elder Scrolls Online Team
    Customer By (Jessica Klaassen) (01/20/2017 03:33 AM)
    Alright last try. Otherwise I'm going to assume you're not going to do anything and stop wasting my time just to recieved autogenerated messages.

I only wanted to know if there are known issues with fps and if Zenimax is working on fixing them. And if they do, what ETA can I expect.

Also, is there something that can be done about it, even when my hardware is clearly not the issue?

No, I don't fix it by you sending autogenerated messages. I need you to answer question. Or even just say you can't tell me. But adleast read it and give answer on what I say. It's getting annoying. I can't answer questions with knowledge only Zenimax has...

Kind regards,

Jessica

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone

Response By (Carlee) (01/19/2017 08:56 PM)
    Greetings again,

We apologize that we still have not been able to assist you with your issue and appreciate your continued patience.

If you have not been able to find a resolution to your issue, please respond back to this email so we can continue to assist you.

Thank you again for your time and patience.

Warm Regards,

Customer By (Jessica Klaassen) (01/19/2017 04:46 AM)
    Well, as I asked a question it's not really resolved as you hadn't answered it.mails seem autogenerated...

Kind regards,

Jessica

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone

Response By (Scout) (01/18/2017 04:05 PM)
    Greetings,
    Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online team. Due to high ticket volume, we apologize for how long it has taken us to get back to you, and appreciate your patience.
    If your issue has been resolved, please be sure to provide feedback using our Customer Service Survey when it arrives in your inbox. If your issue has not been resolved, please respond back to this email so we can continue to assist you.
    Thank you again for your time and patience.
    Warm Regards,
    Customer By (Jessica Klaassen) (01/17/2017 05:08 PM)
    So does that mean it's a know issue and Zenimax Online is working on it?
    If so, what ETA can we expect, because this issues runs for quite a long time now. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a hardware issue before I came to you.
    Response By (Thaddeus) (01/17/2017 04:28 PM)
    Greetings Jessica,

Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Team! It’s always a pleasure to hear from you! I am sorry to hear about the trouble you are having. Never fear however, as I can assure you that we will do our best to help you try and solve this issue.

Please, do not hesitate to reach out to us again if you have any other questions or concerns regarding The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited or our services!

Best regards,

Thaddeus "Shadow King"

The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Team
    Customer By (Jessica Klaassen) (01/17/2017 02:30 PM)
    I've got a gtx1080 overclocked at 2075MHz, and a i5-6600K at 4.2GHz and 16GB DDR4 RAM.

The game keeps having drop till below 30 FPS, while normally running around 175 with all settings on max. Any other game runs fine (beside some know to have bad engine work). FPS drops tend to come and go very randomly, and I've heared it's a more common problem: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/241603/fps-drop-over-time/p7

Videocard is running on maximal performance mode and rarely runs fully, because often it's far from needed. So far, I've only had these kind of problems at games that where know too have problems in the engine, which makes me believe it's somewhere in the programming (I don't blame you, I know engine programming is horrible work too do). I have been playing far more heavy games easily. Is Zenimax Online aware of these problems and/or is there a fix planned?

Can't add too the forums yet (see my other ticket), so I can't add a reply there, but I'm hoping I'll be able to get an answer faster this way.

We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you within 96 hours (4 days).

If your issue has not been resolved, you can respond directly to this email. We look forward to working with you again should you need us!
    Question Reference # 170117-001862
    Date Created: 01/17/2017 02:30 PM
    Date Last Updated: 01/20/2017 09:01 PM
    Edited by Cambion2401 on January 22, 2017 4:31PM
    Started ESO: February 2015
    99% solo PvE'er
    PC-EU
  • MrTonbo
    MrTonbo
    Soul Shriven

Here's the beautiful conversation I had with Zenimax, starting with what seems to be a template but forgotten to actually write some information in there, then going to messages that almost seem autogenerated wondering if I have been able to find a solution just to get the same message again.

it feels like talking to a bot ..
  • Cambion2401
    Cambion2401
    ✭✭✭
    MrTonbo wrote: »
    it feels like talking to a bot ..

I thought that too. If it wasn't for every message being slightly different, I would say it was auto-generated. In fact, I said it was until I saw there where small differences.

I'm almost thinking it is an autogenerator with multiple return options so it doesn't seem to auto-generated...
    99% solo PvE'er
    PC-EU
  • MrTonbo
    MrTonbo
    Soul Shriven
    For those wondering if Zenimax knows about the issue, let me save your time:

First of all - yes, they do.

It’s been already a year since this thread has started and if you roll back a bit you will see that even their employees took part in this conversation committing that they know about major fps problems a lot of players facing with.

Right above this post you can find the entire correspondence some dude had with their support...

I’ve searched a lot regarding this subject on the web. There is endless amount of threads on Reddit, Steam and even here, at the official forums describing literally the same issue with fps dropping over time...

If you study them all you will come to the conclusion that the problem is not related to your graphics quality level neither to your PC specs…

The problem relates to the game engine itself. The more you playing in the same location - the more data the game stocking without refreshing - the more memory game needs. The higher level of memory usage - the lower fps rate.

Сorrect me if I'm wrong.

For me game became "playable" after lowering my shadows to minimum and cutting my view range in a half.. But i'm still need to relog after an hour or two... (15-30 minutes before)

The fact that i need to pay >30 USD for the game that cannot run properly on the specs far beyond recommended is a little bit unfair...
    Edited by MrTonbo on January 24, 2017 8:39PM
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the same thing

Game runs 100% fine for about 1 to 2 hours , but after I've changed zones or been in and out of dungeons a number of times, or been in Cyrodiil a while, I have permanent lag/stuttering. Simply logging out to character select and back in fixes it for another hour or so.

Running 64bit version (according to launcher)

System runs very cool, overheating isn't a problem.

UserSettings.txt says: SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D11"

System spec:

Intel Core i7 3820 a2011
    Asus P9X79 Socket 2011 ATX Motherboard
    32GB Corsair Vengance DDR3 RAM

XFX RADEON RX480 Black Edition OC

Corsair 750 Watt HX750i Fully Modular ATX PSU/Power Supply

Archon SB-E X2 CPU Cooler
    Antec 1200 Case

Dell U2713HM monitor running at 2560 x 1440 (monitor ESO runs on)
    HannsG HW191D monitor running at 1440 x 900

Utech MMO Gaming Mouse
    Logitech G510 Keyboard
    Razer orbweaver

Corsair Neutron GTX SSD 240GB (ESO drive)
    Corsair Force GT SSD 120GB (System drive)

Seegate Sata3 2TB
    Toshiba Sata3 2TB
    Edited by Ojustaboo on January 26, 2017 6:01PM
  • Cambion2401
    Cambion2401
    ✭✭✭
    For those wondering if Zenimax knows about the issue, let me save your time:

First of all - yes, they do.

I know it was known. And they where working on a fix from what I've heared. I just wonder if they know it's not fixed, and that it's making stuff pretty unplayable. I like being updated if there are issues. I know it's often not so easy to fix, but adleast keep people up to date about it if it's a big problem.

I also wonder if, in the likely case they work on it, there is an ETA for a fix. But then again, any information would be nice other then we know it exists. What is Zenimax priority in it compared to other to do work? WHY is this still a problem after a year? It's obviously a big problem, so give people more insight.
    The fact that i need to pay >30 USD for the game that cannot run properly on the specs far beyond recommended is a little bit unfair...
    Then you buy it for 16 euro on a site like Kinguin. I payed full 40 myself, and had multiple eso+ memeberships (mainly because I had a 2 months membership and 3000 crowns for 16-20 euro trough Kinguin, which was a lot cheaper then buying crowns normally, but still). Money is not really my problem in this.

I'm guessing it may be a problem deep within the engine, which makes it hard to fix without breaking tons of other things, or a little piece of code in a big file, it's always hard to find that one stupid thing back that breaks things. It really does happen al the time when coding, especially with such a big projects. I don't dislike Zenimax for the fact there is a problem, but not informing after there has been so much trouble for so long and giving me report mails like that, I find very bad. However, information about an issue that's causing huge problems for multiple people and is going on for a long time would be nice, and would make a lot of people feel beter already. You know, just knowing you're not ignored and they're doing there best to fix it, or give a valid reason why it will come later.

99% solo PvE'er
    PC-EU
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So just an update:

I solved my FPS drop over time issue, the fix was going back to Windows 8.1. How I came to this conclusion?

Where i work we have paid Microsoft Support(Not the normal front line people but the Tier 2 and Tier 3 guys we even have an Account Rep).

Long Story short after finalizing some plans, i asked him:

"Hey I have some games at home that will randomly drop FPS over time and won't recover until I close the game and restart it, have any idea what would cause that?"

His answer to me was:

"there are known problems in the DirextX 11 Emulation layer of DX12 on Windows 10 that we have observed internally on some hard(both AMD and Nvidia) will cause issue. I would suggest you to roll back to Windows 8.1 or 7 if you can as those 2 OS have the last native DirectX11 implementation that is not being emulated via DX12"

I rolled back to Windows 8.1 on both my machines(one with Crossfire 280x the other with a Gtx 1060) problem solved and has been solved for 2 months.

If you dig online you can find issues with DX11 and Windows 10 dating back to the Tech Previews. He told me they are looking at it, but no timeline when it will be fixed. He said it will be in one of their recommended optional updates at some point once they narrow down whats causing it.

Good luck
    Edited by RinaldoGandolphi on January 27, 2017 6:30PM
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• Cambion2401
    Cambion2401
    ✭✭✭
    So just an update:

I solved my FPS drop over time issue, the fix was going back to Windows 8.1. How I came to this conclusion?

Where i work we have paid Microsoft Support(Not the normal front line people but the Tier 2 and Tier 3 guys we even have an Account Rep).

Long Story short after finalizing some plans, i asked him:

"Hey I have some games at home that will randomly drop FPS over time and won't recover until I close the game and restart it, have any idea what would cause that?"

His answer to me was:

"there are known problems in the DirextX 11 Emulation layer of DX12 on Windows 10 that we have observed internally on some hard(both AMD and Nvidia) will cause issue. I would suggest you to roll back to Windows 8.1 or 7 if you can as those 2 OS have the last native DirectX11 implementation that is not being emulated via DX12"

I rolled back to Windows 8.1 on both my machines(one with Crossfire 280x the other with a Gtx 1060) problem solved and has been solved for 2 months.

If you dig online you can find issues with DX11 and Windows 10 dating back to the Tech Previews. He told me they are looking at it, but no timeline when it will be fixed. He said it will be in one of their recommended optional updates at some point once they narrow down whats causing it.

Good luck

You could also have installed DX9 till 11 from Microsoft website. Then games use that instead of the emulator in DX12. I wonder why Microsoft didn't tell you that instead...

I'm a software engineer, I have DX9, DX10, DX11 manually installed next to DX12. That's not the issue here (but it's true that the emulator in DX12 gives fps issues. Kinda logic as emulators are more heavy then original software).

Some games crash if you don't install separate DX9-11, because they try to reach the original files, which obviously doesn't work on an emulator. ENB also crashes because of this on many W10 machines.
    Edited by Cambion2401 on January 27, 2017 6:41PM
    99% solo PvE'er
    PC-EU
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I installed all those runtimes, it made no difference. ESO install DX11 runtimes when you install it. it made no difference to me.

Soon as i went back to Windows 8.1 and its native DX11, problems stopped. Game has been smooth as silk for months.

It fixed it for me, I may go back to 10 at some point, but not before they fix some things...if it isn't broke im not fixing it.

PS: if you don't want to go back a version, you can try turning off the GameDVR. Its on by default in Windows 10 and can be shut off in the Xbox App that comes with Windows 10. On some systems it has a nasty habit of re-enabling itself after a restart. It is buggy and has known memory leaks.

Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• Cambion2401
    Cambion2401
    ✭✭✭
    I installed all those runtimes, it made no difference. ESO install DX11 runtimes when you install it. it made no difference to me.

Soon as i went back to Windows 8.1 and its native DX11, problems stopped. Game has been smooth as silk for months.

It fixed it for me, I may go back to 10 at some point, but not before they fix some things...if it isn't broke im not fixing it.

PS: if you don't want to go back a version, you can try turning off the GameDVR. Its on by default in Windows 10 and can be shut off in the Xbox App that comes with Windows 10. On some systems it has a nasty habit of re-enabling itself after a restart. It is buggy and has known memory leaks.

Somehow the ones install with games don't work well, but installing manually all versions of dx solved many performance problems in other games for me, as they are ran natively again on my pc. Can't remember doing anything else, but perhaps I forget something to make stuff run native DX again.

The issue is also only in certain places, especially big cities, yet how many people are online doesn't seem to matter, nor does it seem to matter how long I'm online. Problems are there imidiently after start-up.

I don't use that Xbox app, but I will check as soon as I have time. Seems a good think to know. If it's not connected to the Xbox controller driver, I probably just disable it in registry with group policies, then it won't run anymore no matter what :p. I need that driver for my ds3 controller tho, because I run my ds3 on native Xbox drivers for because it has better compatibility then the fanmade ds3 drivers around.
    Edited by Cambion2401 on February 11, 2017 11:04PM
    99% solo PvE'er
    PC-EU
  • aurly
    aurly
    For a moment I hoped that installing DX11 would finally fix this but unfortunately as it turns out it's not that easy to actually get DX11 installed. Either the installer doesn't run at all, or it tells me I already have a newer version installed so it won't do anything. Pffft.

Well, back to the waiting game then.
  • Cambion2401
    Cambion2401
    ✭✭✭
    aurly wrote: »
    For a moment I hoped that installing DX11 would finally fix this but unfortunately as it turns out it's not that easy to actually get DX11 installed. Either the installer doesn't run at all, or it tells me I already have a newer version installed so it won't do anything. Pffft.

Well, back to the waiting game then.

Yeah, you need certain redistributions because the regular ones don't install. You need the runtime version for developers. Those always install (and are used to create the ones that come with game installs, but often they don't have all files but only the ones directly used. This works less well in this problem. The ones from Microsoft do have all).

Note that according to Microsoft, you cannot uninstall these versions of DirectX. You should be able to find them in the Microsoft download center. I don't think you need a developer account, but as I have one and am not able to get to my pc now, I can't say for sure.
    Edited by Cambion2401 on February 4, 2017 3:27PM
    99% solo PvE'er
    PC-EU
  • Ajaxduo
    Ajaxduo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone else tried rolling back to windows 8.1 and had their fps issues solved? :o
    - - -
    GM of Verum Aeternus, PC EU
    - - -
  • aurly
    aurly
    OK so earlier today I downloaded and installed the SDK found here: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-10-sdk (only selected the windows 10 SDK, not the tools), and so far I've been playing for 3 hours straight, with no sign of slowdown. This includes spending some time in the cities of Daggerfall and Wayrest, which almost always required me to restart the game before.

I have been able to play for more than an hour without slowdown before, but 3 hours was pretty rare and never after visiting large cities, so right now I'm cautiously optimistic that this did indeed fix the problem.

Edit: Fixed the link.
    Edited by aurly on February 20, 2017 5:36PM
  • Cambion2401
    Cambion2401
    ✭✭✭
    aurly wrote: »
    OK so earlier today I downloaded and installed the SDK found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6812 (only selected the windows 10 SDK, not the tools), and so far I've been playing for 3 hours straight, with no sign of slowdown. This includes spending some time in the cities of Daggerfall and Wayrest, which almost always required me to restart the game before.

I have been able to play for more than an hour without slowdown before, but 3 hours was pretty rare and never after visiting large cities, so right now I'm cautiously optimistic that this did indeed fix the problem.

Yes, that's the one to fix DirectX related issues without rolling back. I'm pretty sure I have them installed, but I'll make sure I'll redo it after I finished installing Visual Studio 2017RC, as it plays with redistributables as well.

However, I had them installed and still had FPS issues on certain places. Pretty sure those where not DirectX related (I suspect either engine or server related). For those I still need to find something. But I need to reïnstall the game first as I accidentally deleted my gaming HDD by mounting it in a WineHQ prefix on linux and then deleting the Wine prefix. Not my brightest moment...
    99% solo PvE'er
    PC-EU
  • aurly
    aurly
    Yes, that's the one to fix DirectX related issues without rolling back. I'm pretty sure I have them installed, but I'll make sure I'll redo it after I finished installing Visual Studio 2017RC, as it plays with redistributables as well.

However, I had them installed and still had FPS issues on certain places. Pretty sure those where not DirectX related (I suspect either engine or server related). For those I still need to find something. But I need to reïnstall the game first as I accidentally deleted my gaming HDD by mounting it in a WineHQ prefix on linux and then deleting the Wine prefix. Not my brightest moment...

I was able to play for more than 4 hours straight without slowdown, for the first time on this PC. I do think it's finally fixed now.
    There's still a few FPS dips, my PC can't keep going at 60 FPS in a busy city, and after teleporting there's sometimes a few seconds of low FPS, but it goes back up to 60 again every time.

This does explain why the developers can't find it, doesn't it? :smile:
    In any case it appears it's the DirectX team that needs to fix this one. We'll just have to install developer kits until then. Thanks for the insights!
    Edited by aurly on February 12, 2017 11:00AM
  • Cambion2401
    Cambion2401
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, but for me the fps in cities was my original problem. I like to help out about the DirectX, which indeed is a windows 10 problem, but my problem was never fixed :/.

And you'll get sdks the game need with it, but somehow it never works so well. Developers can't do much more for it. It's Microsoft fault really. They made an emulator, not realising that works less well, causing performance issues. And when games directly ask for DirectX files it gets even worse, they crash (enb for example). I didn't even know this game had such a trouble with it, but any game on older than DX12 gets a boost from installing it, so it's highly recommended for gaming in general.

I've got a gtx1080 overclocked and a i5-6600K overclocked. Still on some places I drop from 60 till 25 and back up, which is pretty unplayable, because the difference is so high it acts like it's continously freezing for small moments. Sure it goes away on other places, but I can't normally walk in cities like anvil. Perhaps it actually freezes but to short for the fps counter to notice, and it takes the average which is around 25fps. Also possible. However, it's pretty bad.

I think there are two fps issues running through eachother in one thread now. The DirectX related one and the server/engine related one. Perhaps time to take this one for DirectX and get another one for server/engine related fps? Mainly because DirectX has a solution and this thread is getting pretty long...

You know. Like coding. Keep things separated so they are more easy to understand :).
    Edited by Cambion2401 on February 12, 2017 1:07PM
    99% solo PvE'er
    PC-EU
  • Cambion2401
    Cambion2401
    ✭✭✭
    I think there are two fps issues running through eachother in one thread now. The DirectX related one and the server/engine related one. Perhaps time to take this one for DirectX and get another one for server/engine related fps? Mainly because DirectX has a solution and this thread is getting pretty long...

You know. Like coding. Keep things separated so they are more easy to understand :).

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/321259/fps-drop-over-time-engine-server-related/p1?new=1

New thread for issues after having DirextX installed.
    99% solo PvE'er
    PC-EU
This discussion has been closed.