Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

FPS drop over time

• Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a heavy PvP player i had this for like months up until now and i just say to me self, meh like they're going to fix it. /reloadui everytime.

But as always it's
    Dfrvmf1.gif
    "Monsters doesn't exist, we create them"
  • Rayth
    Rayth
    ✭✭
    /reloadui don't work for me, i have to close/re-launch the game :(
  • Fnoptik
    Fnoptik
    ✭✭
    Have same problem, while doing vMSA my FPS drop progressively from 80-90 on 1 arena, to 15-20 on arena 9.
    Relog bring fps to 80-90 level.
    Trying with 10 addons, with 2 addons (Srendar, LUI), with 0 addons.
    Problem persist.
    Specs: i3570, 16gb ram, GTX 1070.
    Edited by Fnoptik on September 11, 2016 2:57PM
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Turn off shadows, turn off bloom, depth of field, ambient occlusion, sunlight rays,water reflections, and the in game anti aliasing

They are poorly implemented and appear to cause memory issues. You can force morphological aa via Ctimson control panel for AMD or FXAA for Nvidia.

I'm on my phone so I can't type much but the game renders and processes these things in a strange manner such as you can be standing at way rest stables and the game is processing water reflections on the water at wayrest docks in the other side of town out of your view...it also processes shadows on ever cast of impulse etc...

Turn that stuff off and deleted your shadercache.cookef file in the eso folder under my documents and reload the game..it won't fix it completely but it will make it a lot better.
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• Rayth
    Rayth
    ✭✭
    Yeah.... Turn all options off, cut sounds, musics and play on 800x600 maybe ?

It's not related to graphics settings, read my posts :
    Rayth wrote: »
    If i have all graphics at max, at start i got 90fps, after 2 hours i got 40
    If i have all graphics at min, at start i go 200fps, after 2 hours i got 60
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah.... Turn all options off, cut sounds, musics and play on 800x600 maybe ?

It's not related to graphics settings, read my posts :
    If i have all graphics at max, at start i got 90fps, after 2 hours i got 40
    If i have all graphics at min, at start i go 200fps, after 2 hours i got 60

As I said it makes it better but it doesn't fix it entirely. I'd rather have 60fps after 2 hours then 30
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• Fnoptik
    Fnoptik
    ✭✭
    After all inconclusive "optimising" with UserSettings.txt and Nvidia driver that i google, i have 15-20 fps with absolutely unresponsive control in vMol fights, even on minimal settings, without addons, and even full PC restart dont fix it.
    Minimal settings = i3570, GTX1070, intel ssd, 16gb ram.
    Great...
    Edited by Fnoptik on September 11, 2016 9:36PM
  • Fnoptik
    Fnoptik
    ✭✭
    Fnoptik wrote: »
    After all inconclusive "optimising" with UserSettings.txt and Nvidia driver that i google, i have 15-20 fps with absolutely unresponsive control in vMol fights, even on minimal settings, without addons, and even full PC restart dont fix it.
    Great...

SOLVED!
    My problem was in Windows 10 power options, Windows 10 cant use full CPU clock for some tasks (TESO for example) when your "Minimal processor state" parameter below 100%.
    I have i3570 and while TESO is running my CPU work only on 1600ghz - with minimal multiplier (it can work at 3400ghz in not overclocked state).
    Maybe other energy management settings affect, i just choose "High Performance" profile and problem is gone.
    Even with "Minimal processor state" parameter at 100% my CPU can lower multiplier in idle mode.

Dont sure if it will fix vMSA fps problem, but now my bottleneck in 4k resolution - GTX1070 (and it feels right) and not CPU.

ps i apologise for my illiterate english language.
    Edited by Fnoptik on September 12, 2016 2:28PM
  • Krenthal
    Krenthal
    ✭✭

SOLVED!
    My problem was in Windows 10 power options, Windows 10 cant use full CPU clock for some tasks (TESO for example) when your "Minimal processor state" parameter below 100%.

Thank you for this information, I tried everything else and nothing worked until I found this post.

I changed my power setting as you described and my FPS drop problems until I restart are over!! I can play for hours now without a problem.
    Edited by Krenthal on September 14, 2016 1:02PM
  • Fnoptik
    Fnoptik
    ✭✭
    You are welcome :smile:
    It seems there is 2 problem:
    1. Windows 10 problem with 100% CPU utilization (and it fixed with changing power management plan)
    2. ESO problem with some kind of leak (temporary fix by zone change or by logoff/logon character).

For me, original problem still there, but now its less annoying, yesterday i doing Orsinium world bosses, and slow down to 20 fps happens only after 2-3 hours of mats grinding and boss killing.
    But even with 20 fps control stay responsive.

Im my case, in game lagged state CPU become bottleneck, i can see it because fps dont change while i changing graphical settings from ultra to minimal, fps dont change when changing resolution from 3840 x 2160 to 800 x 600.
    So it seems the problem is not related to the particle system.

Maybe its some kind of LUA scripts leak (i repeat - it happens with zero addons).

After logoff from character and logon back fps return to normal level (60 fps, i have adaptive vsync on).

Still dont try vmsa after changing power management.
    Edited by Fnoptik on September 14, 2016 2:10PM
  • Krenthal
    Krenthal
    ✭✭
    You are welcome :smile:
    1. Windows 10 problem with 100% CPU utilization (and it fixed with changing power management plan)
    2. ESO problem with some kind of leak (temporary fix by zone change or by logoff/logon character).

For me, original problem still there, but now its less annoying, yesterday i doing Orsinium world bosses, and slow down to 20 fps happens only after 2-3 hours of mats grinding and boss killing.
    But even with 20 fps control stay responsive.

Im my case, in game lagged state CPU become bottleneck, i can see it because fps dont change while i changing graphical settings from ultra to minimal, fps dont change when changing resolution from 3840 x 2160 to 800 x 600.
    So it seems the problem is not related to the particle system.

Maybe its some kind of LUA scripts leak (i repeat - it happens with zero addons).

After logoff from character and logon back fps return to normal level (60 fps, i have adaptive vsync on).

Still dont try vmsa after changing power management.

The issue I was referring to was the FPS Drop and having it never recover (restart), I still have FPS drops, especially in Orsinium city. But I no longer have to restart ESO. I can move to another area, use a Wayshrine and then my FPS recovers. before your suggestion, my only option was to quit ESO and Restart. Now I dont have to do this.

3840 x 2160 or 1920x1080, it doesn't matter for me. Yes ESO has some optimizations that they need to work on, it's getting better, but we can only hold out for so long.
    Edited by Krenthal on September 14, 2016 3:04PM
  • Chew_Magna
    Chew_Magna
    ✭✭✭
    Same problem here.

R9 390 8gb
    4690k @4.3ghz (also dropped my oc for testing)
    16gb DDR3
    All ssd storage
    Win7 (went back to it from 10)

Changing graphic settings doesn't fix it whether it's max or minimum. It does it with or without addons. Reloadui or relog doesn't fix it, I have to restart the client. I get anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour before I have to restart the game. At startup I'm getting 90-100fps and eventually it drops to the 20's with heavy stuttering and becomes unplayable. Trials are totally unplayable. I did my first one a few days ago and even at minimal graphic setting I was sitting in single digits.

I play in borderless windowed mode. I've tried fullscreen but the issue persists, along with causing my other monitors to go black when I launch the game.
  • aurly
    aurly
    Great...

SOLVED!
    I have i3570 and while TESO is running my CPU work only on 1600ghz - with minimal multiplier (it can work at 3400ghz in not overclocked state).
    Maybe other energy management settings affect, i just choose "High Performance" profile and problem is gone.
    Even with "Minimal processor state" parameter at 100% my CPU can lower multiplier in idle mode.

Dont sure if it will fix vMSA fps problem, but now my bottleneck in 4k resolution - GTX1070 (and it feels right) and not CPU.

There must be several problems with these symptoms. In my case, the CPU does not get downclocked - it keeps running at full speed, and at least one core is near 100%, as things should be. But still my framerate drops until I restart the game.
  • shdwknghtb16_ESO
    shdwknghtb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I can confirm that I have the same problem but theres something I learned because I was undecisive about my chars so I spent a lot of time in the newbie zones.

In the AD newbie island, which I played and completed 4 different times over the course of a week, i can play for about 30 mins before the fps becomes unbearable which I can fix by just logging out and logging back in. (without closing the client)

However, in Auridon I can go about 3-4 hours to reach that same unbearable point. I've tried just about everything you can imagine I started by reading up on fps drops and recommended graphics tweaks etc. I went through that popular reddit thread making multiple suggestions like https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/3jjoql/are_you_having_fps_issues_wih_eso_on_a_pc_well/
    Tried everything in the thread, on and off, different mixes, reinstalled older nvidia drivers, updated to the current ones, even ran nvidia driver cleaners, reinstalled the game, tried a different ssd, disable vsync, set a hard fps limit with nvidia profile inspector, tried all kinds of settings in there as well and finally just reverted all to default including the game and really only one thing has remained consistent through all these tests: the fps drops slowly until it reaches 15-20 after which it does not get any worse no matter how long I keep playing. Hell I even unparked my CPU's in my windows registry just in case. Also found out about ESO launcher aka hook64/32. Tried both 32 and 64 bit versions of the game with and without hook64 and hook32. Look the list just goes on and on.

For now I can accept 3+ hours of gametime before having to relog so whatever, but I sure hope things dont get worse again in different maps. FYI I've been fiddling around for a decade and a half with games and computers in general so no, before anyone wastes their time sending me suggestions, theres nothing running in the background that could cause drops, i dont have an antivirus, i dont have viruses, yada yada the whole shebang... Theres def. something wrong with the client itself.

System specs:
    Geforce GTX 970 (up to date drivers)
    Intel i5 750 (quad core) 2.66ghz overclocked @ 3.2ghz (yes with latest bios/firmware /etc)
    Windows 7 (up to date)
    16gb of ram

EDIT: These experiences were before the latest patch mentioned in this thread. I have zero willpower left to spend an hour in noobville to test out the latest patch sorry.
    Edited by shdwknghtb16_ESO on September 14, 2016 7:07PM
  • Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game has a memory leak. I see the exact same thing as the OP. Overtime, FPS slowly drops until I close and restart the game. Once I restart, I'm back to normal. Not only does the FPS drop, but so does overall clarity and stability. The stutter can get so bad after a couple hours, 30 FPS will seem like 10-15. After restarting, the clarity of textures is noticeably sharper as well.
  • Chew_Magna
    Chew_Magna
    ✭✭✭
    The game has a memory leak. I see the exact same thing as the OP. Overtime, FPS slowly drops until I close and restart the game. Once I restart, I'm back to normal. Not only does the FPS drop, but so does overall clarity and stability. The stutter can get so bad after a couple hours, 30 FPS will seem like 10-15. After restarting, the clarity of textures is noticeably sharper as well.

The stuttering is a very common problem for me. Even when the game is showing 100fps it feels like <20fps.
  • reActor1
    reActor1
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for clarification, I was worried because your "power management" solution didn't fix my problem at all. Then you distinguished the two different issues and I recognized the 2nd one as the one my PC suffers.
    I'm still hoping for ZOS giving us a script command or such, letting us to achieve the same effect of logoff/logon so we don't get kicked out of Cyrodiil.

@ZOS_AlexTardif the issue is still here, any chance to have this workaround as I (and others) already asked months ago?

[PC][EU]
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    [

SOLVED!

The bolded part is because C1E(Enhanced Halt State) pretty much if you have C1E and Core C6 enabled in the BIOS, when your PC isn't doing anything hard it will reduced the multiplier, voltage, and chipset power levels to save power.

If you have Core C6 turned on in conjunction with C1E, if the PC is idle it will actually power gate CPU cores and shut them off completely yet they appear ready to the user, reducing power consumption and heat significantly. You can sometimes gain a tiny performance boost shutting them off in the BIOS, but i have found its rarely worth the increased power draw.

Gald you figured out what was causing your issues :)

Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

• iScream34
    iScream34
    Soul Shriven
    I have the same issue playing in Full Screen mode, starts with constant 80fps then after 1 hour or so it starts dropping down to around 30-40fps. I figured playing in Borderless fixes it for me and i've been doing so since then.
    I have this issue with lots of other games as well such as CS:GO and WoT, and playing in Borderless or windowed mode seems to work everytime
  • Fnoptik
    Fnoptik
    ✭✭
    I capture a video, to show that graphical settings dont affect fps in lagged state, so i think problem not related to particle system or anything else that related to GPU.

My spec: i3570 (4200ghz overclocked, 16gb ram, GTX 1070).
    I relog first time before 7 arena.
    That slowdown happen after playing for 20 minutes on 7,8 and 9 arena in vmsa.
    Only by decreasing distance view, i can increase fps a little bit in lagged state, for me its like 10 fps (decrease distance from 100 to 0).

After relog i have 60 fps because adaptive vsync is on, without vsync its close to 90 fps.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_bjLfIllFg&amp;feature=youtu.be
    Edited by Fnoptik on September 17, 2016 3:23PM
  • Yuke
    Yuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also suffer from those memory leaks. With Addons, no Addons, Max graphic settings, Low graphic settings - makes no difference

PC specs are:

I5-3570K@4,4Ghz
    GTX970@1480/3800Mhz
    16GB Ram@2400Mhz

Win10 64bit

Maybe it helps a dev figuring this one out...
    Edited by Yuke on September 21, 2016 2:38PM
    Save Us, Microsoft.

Noricum & Kitesquad™
    YT-Channel
  • Douglas_Uppity
    Douglas_Uppity
    Soul Shriven
    The problem is still persisting. My FPS starts out at 100 when i load up the game (DX11, max settings) and slowly goes down over time. (lowest i've seen was a 20FPS lock.. headache inducing).

PC specs:

CPU: Intel Core-i7 4790K
    GPU: Nvidia GTX-970
    RAM: 16GB DDR3
    Client: 64BIT EU
  • Rayth
    Rayth
    ✭✭
    So, i go back to Guild wars 2.

Maybe i give another try in some months, maybe not.
  • Jurand80
    Jurand80
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same thing on OSX 10.11.3
    GPU driver 10.8.14 310.42.15f01
    CUDA driver 7.5.30
    GTX 660 2Gb
    i7 3550K
    24Gb Ram

Cyrodill is just an unplayable slideshow. I unsubbed. You should too.
  • Astraous
    Astraous
    ✭✭
    I have the same issue, I really hope they're still working or looking for the cause of this. I play the game for a few hours and notice that my fps is at 58 or so, log out and back in on the same character (I dont close out of the game at all) and there I am looking around the same place with 95+ fps. What is causing this?
  • EL1TE
    EL1TE
    ✭✭
    I also suffer from this, even if i'm in Mournhold just afk waiting for Dungeon Queue to pop, after 1h or 2h it goes from 60FPS to 30FPS.

Same for Cyrodiil goes as low as 15FPS after 1h or 2h.

From my experience with MMOs new patches tend to make things worse, fingers crossed.
  • Duke1UP
    Duke1UP
    Soul Shriven
    [Edit2] It's a pity to say that it was too early to start celebrating. Yesterday FPS dropped again. Can't say if this is linked to Update12, or maybe it was just a coincidence that my "solution" explained below worked on that day. In any case, I'm yet again at the entry point.

Found a FIX which works for me !
    I had the same issue as mentioned in the topic - FPS drop over time. Basically, after finishing daily writs I had to restart the game. As it is too painful to accept this slide show experience, or reboot on an hourly basis, I started to look for a solution. I was on the same path as shdwknghtb16_ESO and also nothing helped for the issue of DPS drop over time.

Finally, today I tried one last thing... and the FPS was stable throughout the evening! Without further ado, Killer NIC bundle seems to be the root cause. Got rid of it, installed bare drivers instead and the ESO works like a charm.

Grab E2200/E2400 drivers from here: quick link

[Edit] During the installation process I clicked to customize it and then I removed everything besides of the driver I really need (Ethernet NIC in my case). I didn't allow to install NewFeature1, whatever this might be (no description in the wizard). Don't know if this step is mandatory, this is just what I did and what works for me.

Keeping my fingers crossed for all of you, who are struggling with the same issue, that this solution will sort it out for you. Cheers !
    Edited by Duke1UP on October 6, 2016 8:40AM
  • andros1983
    andros1983
    Soul Shriven
    Same problem here.....
  • melloni_aleb16_ESO
    melloni_aleb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Often it happens to me , pc spec :

I5 6600K OC
    GTX 980 TI OC
    16 gb ram
    SSD
    res : 2560x1440
    i Use one addon for buff
    client 32 or 64 work equal with same issues

until a few patches ago and before the release of the Nvidia 10xx series in pve I had on average 80-120 fps , on Pvp ( also in massive zerg ) 40-60 fps.
    Now , in pve i have an average of 40 fps then get off after one hour of play to 15 ( -.- ) ....in Cyro with a lot of people ( or zerg ) it around 5 -15 fps
    I partially solved the performances (but not the m. leak) , nvidia " castrate " ( I do not know how to say in English ) drivers for old series ..with old driver before new serie i earned some FPS ( 15-25 ), in this way also under the mem.leak fps are slightly higher

P.S

I just wanted to add that already daoc had an executable command from the command line to clear the video memory , can not implement it here?

I hope that I did understand , my english is very very bad :)
    Edited by melloni_aleb16_ESO on October 28, 2016 10:30PM
    DC|EP|AD EU .:. Claymore - all classes DK/Sorc/Nb/templar .: Retired :.
    DC NA server with 400 ping - DKs Vraccàs

Philosophy of the poor .: "What you cannot beat ..zerg him " :.
  • Sektion67
    Sektion67
    ✭✭✭
    I capture a video, to show that graphical settings dont affect fps in lagged state, so i think problem not related to particle system or anything else that related to GPU.

This is exactly the same problem I'm having. The game runs buttery smooth (even in populated cities) at 60 fps for me until the dreaded slow down begins, and the only solution to fix this is logging out, as shown in your video. Reloading the UI does nothing. I was trying to find some rhyme and reason as to why this happens, and as someone else stated, it seems to happen more in the starting areas for some reason. I want to say it has something to do with leaving/entering buildings, or getting caught in between load screens, but honestly, it's so random I can't say for sure that's what is occurring.

I'm loving this game (new player), but this really breaks the immersion and fun factor. I'm hoping to see some more dev interaction on this topic going forward, because I've tried tweaking endlessly on my end with no results. Also, this is the only game in my entire collection that has this issue.

Specs:
    Windows 10
    GTX 1080
    16 gb ram
    eso 64-bit client
    res: 3440x1440 (loving the amazing ultrawide support in this game)

This discussion has been closed.