Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Does anyone still use "common" racial motifs?

• Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've learned all of them on my main character. I use a Khajiit style battle axe, as that's literally the only one that looks cool enough to me :)
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the Argonian style for my several Argonians.

Oh, and I like the Breton light armor for my Breton sorc.
    Edited by tinythinker on January 15, 2016 2:00PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Spottswoode
    Spottswoode
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the racial style of most of my character's races, but I also use the more exotic st styles for weapons. I'm still partial to daedric for destro staves and Nord for resto staves.

I also build common racial themes to differentiate some mixed crafted sets from each other.
    Proud Player of The Elder Bank Screen Online.
    My khajiit loves his moon sugar.
    Steam Profile
    Libertas est periculosum. Liberum cogitandi est haeresis. Ergo, et ego terroristis.
    Current main PC build:
    i7 3770 (Not overclocking currently.)
    MSI Gaming X GTX 1070
    32gb RAM

Laptop:
    i7-7700HQ
    GTX 1060
    16gb RAM

Secondary build:
    i3 2330
    GTX 660
    8gb RAM
  • robkrush
    robkrush
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend up make a mishmash, I love Khajiit shoulders because of that Saiyan armour feel.

Currently rocking full mercenary gear at VR13 mind, which is pretty snazzy, and saving up for the Akaviri armour. Got enough crowns to buy dwemer or Xivkyn too [already know the others], so I'm tryna collect them all. I do experiment with them, try and combine things [nord girdle looks like a championship wrestling belt].

I like the mishmash idea in theory but in practice the dyes don't match between different styles. Ruins my immersion.... :D
    PS4-NA-DC
    PSN: robkrush

The game's central concept of "PvP in PvP areas and be safe in safe areas" needs to stay the way it is.
    ZOS, 1-12-2016
  • Ayantir
    Ayantir
    ✭✭✭✭
    i use redguard and Orc (standard) on my main char, verry pretty.
    Obsessive Compulsive Elder Scrolls addons Coder
    A Few millions downloads of ESO addons now.
    Master crafter on my main char since release. All tradeskills, recipes \o/, researchs (since long), 35 styles known
    My little french Guild: Cercle de l'Eveil
  • RapturousRex
    RapturousRex
    ✭✭✭
    robkrush wrote: »
    I tend up make a mishmash, I love Khajiit shoulders because of that Saiyan armour feel.

Currently rocking full mercenary gear at VR13 mind, which is pretty snazzy, and saving up for the Akaviri armour. Got enough crowns to buy dwemer or Xivkyn too [already know the others], so I'm tryna collect them all. I do experiment with them, try and combine things [nord girdle looks like a championship wrestling belt].

I like the mishmash idea in theory but in practice the dyes don't match between different styles. Ruins my immersion.... :D

I hear that, trying yo experiment with them is fun, but sometimes I left heartbroken
  • LostRedden
    LostRedden
    ✭✭✭
    I use Akaviri on my v16 tank, mixture of light medium and heavy Mercenary on my v16 Magicka sorc, and Dwemmer on my V16 Stamplar and Stam Sorc. Though I think I really like the Redguard medium the best on my v1 khajiti nightblade
    Vet 16 Magicka Sorc DPS, V16 Stam Sorc DPS, V16 Stamina Templar DPS, V16 Dragonknight Tank/DPS, V1 Stamina NB DPS
    |PS4 NA AD| [Guild Leader of IMaG]

Vet 1 Magicka Sorc b]PS4 NA DC[/b

Vet 3 Stam Sorc DPS [PC AD]
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heindrich wrote: »
    So... does anyone else stick with the "common" styles

Yes. I don't use the "special" motifs that I know because I really don't like the way the armors look. I might use the weapons if they catch my fancy. I think I have a Primal bow on one character. Unfortunately, once you make the item, you can't tell what it is unless you remember what they all look like, and I don't.

I also tend to use costumes, the ones that can be picked up in the game, so most times I never even see my armor. When my guy is fishing or just running around farming, I tend to wear a costume that looks peasant/farmer. When I used to play in Cyrodiil, I wore the Vanguard Uniform until I was able to craft a set of Imperial that I liked better. The only Crown costume I regularly wear is Wood Elf Vanguard... on a wood elf that I want to have the same appearance during the entire game.

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure they do. I made a bunch of Breton armor this morning in fact. When compared to the prices for the newer armor, a lot of people will opt for the old ones.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I love the way Khajiit armor looks, and will always use it. Sadly, I can't covert dropped armor to the style, so... I'm kind of screwed.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a full set of a "common" racial style, but I do incorporate it in. I spent hours (literally) choosing and crafting my latest gear (and I already knew what sets.. it was choosing style that too so long haha). I chose based on what looked good, and what looked good together, not on the rarity of the item.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • sirrmattus
    sirrmattus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heindrich wrote: »
    It seems to me like with every new fancy motif added to the game, everybody wants to be special and stand out... and in the end, nobody does because everyone (reasonably rich) is running around in Glass, Xivkyn, Mercenary etc armour and everybody poor either has a mish-mash of leveling gear or costumes. I almost never see anyone with a full set of gear in the "basic" racial styles like Breton, Altmer, Nord etc... With some nice colours, they can actually look really nice!

I was going to craft Akaviri style for my lowbie NB, but then I decided it was crazy to spend so much on dragon scales when I will be upgrading the gear once every 10 levels... So I remembered that I always liked the Covenant Scout costume, and decided to try out good ol' Breton medium armour. I was pleasantly surprised at the result :)

xdAqXXg.jpg

YjzEgTq.jpg

For comparison, this is the Covenant Scout Costume:
    n5qP74a.jpg

So... does anyone else stick with the "common" styles and managed to make it look nice? Got some good examples to share?

I still think breton looks best
    Ebonheart Pact - North American Server
    - THE MORALES -
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I use common purple racials, and upgrade my armor every 2 levels on all my characters.

Yes I am always broke.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• sirrmattus
    sirrmattus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vildebill wrote: »
    Mercenary is the new cheap hobo gear, must be the easist to get these days :P Selling my pages for like 500-1000g.

Argonian is fairly popular, and nord as well. I see a lot of bosmer too. Personally im running ancient orc but that one is expensive :)

the motifs are cheap. try getting a laurel
    Ebonheart Pact - North American Server
    - THE MORALES -
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My sorceress is Breton and loves breton style :)
    GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
  • SemiD4rkness
    SemiD4rkness
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajit heavy is the best looking piece of armor imo. Screenshot_20151201_161742.jpg
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep!

Both of my High Elven characters wear a combination of Ancient Elf (rare) and Altmer (common) styles at the moment.

I have an image of one of them which I posted on another thread which shows everything but the boots, I'd show the other character but he needs a trip to the barber shop first ;). This is all Altmer heavy armor with the light Ancient Elf sash (no helmet), I have no idea how she is able to wear it it's pretty tight! I will be replacing it with Dominion armor at some point though when I get all the pieces, but I may keep some Altmer we'll see.

Faarawae%2B4.jpg

My Redguard is currently wearing 7/7 Redguard medium armor but I really want to mix some mercenary in or just something... the helmet is hideous and ill-fitting and it does suffer from the painted-on look pretty badly. I really wish I could craft it in a lower-level style with higher-level materials because I loved how it looked one appearance upgrade down. RIP, lovely armor.
    Edited by ListerJMC on March 11, 2016 3:43PM
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • Lenikus
    Lenikus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiiti armor is very pretty. The Breton light armor Hat is a very cheap alternative to the Xyvkin one, or the Akaviri. And as far as Heavy armor goes, most of my sets still go with Redguard or Altmer.
    I can craft all styles, except ancient orc and Akaviri, in my main character(s) the only thing that it's not from a blue motif is the dwemer legs my Magicka nb uses.
    ... Mai cave. >:3
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Orc swords!
    PC EU
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, exclusively. At least for now. I have a very specific aesthetic with my character, and while I'd love the freedom to play around with new styles, there is zero opportunity for that currently with the cost of materials, etc. Here's hoping we get some kind of restyling system and soon!
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yuppers, I use breton gear all the time.
  • WarrioroftheWind_ESO
    WarrioroftheWind_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use Nord on my armor and glass on my weapons. Though unless the server crashes and boots me to login, its usually covered by my Red Rook disguise or Bound Armaments.
  • dlepi24
    dlepi24
    ✭✭✭✭
    For any leveling gear or anything other than my "final" gear, I almost always craft in Breton. Probably because it's first on the style list in the crafting menu, but I also like the way it looks for almost everything. With weapons though I usually just tend to try other things out. I'm really not that picky with my gear or how it looks, though.
  • Sausage
    Sausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes they do, Ive crafted couple Breton armors quite recently. Some Daedric, but Xikvyn is by far most popular choice. Some want Glass too.
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    If I could craft high level gear with low level looks, I would use the common styles all the time.

Shameless plug remember this one @Gidorick perhaps you could add this to one of your costume concepts: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/228124/a-customized-costume-concept#latest
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • krees28b14_ESO
    krees28b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    While I level I try to use the common blue motifs when I make new gear. Once I get to the end and making my final set pieces I like to mix and match a little bit. Make my character look more unique rather than wearing all one style.
  • Skinzz
    Skinzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run around naked. Who needs motifs anyway.
    Anybody got a group? LFG, anybody? Hello?
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, pretty much all the time; I just got the Akaviri chest style for when Lennie reaches 16.

Until then, this is what she's running:
    V8-Lennie-front.png
    Imperial light shoulders/feet/hands/shoulders; nord heavy chest, nord medium legs.
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • PrinceBoru
    PrinceBoru
    ✭✭✭✭
    Daraugh wrote: »
    I use costumes sometimes, but I always come back to the native styles.]

Yup me too.
    I'm v16 Dunmer, and I love rocking Dunmer light armor.

It ain't easy being green.
  • Xendyn
    Xendyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes I mix and match usually. I use Breton shoulders a lot because I'm not a fan of the pointy, spiky ones. My Orc DK has Bosmer heavy chest, sometimes gloves are a common motif as well.
    Lag is ruinin' my 'mershun!
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance - Socrates
    Member of the Old Guard, keepers of the game's history

PC/NA