Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Does anyone still use "common" racial motifs?

Heindrich
Heindrich
✭✭✭✭✭
It seems to me like with every new fancy motif added to the game, everybody wants to be special and stand out... and in the end, nobody does because everyone (reasonably rich) is running around in Glass, Xivkyn, Mercenary etc armour and everybody poor either has a mish-mash of leveling gear or costumes. I almost never see anyone with a full set of gear in the "basic" racial styles like Breton, Altmer, Nord etc... With some nice colours, they can actually look really nice!

I was going to craft Akaviri style for my lowbie NB, but then I decided it was crazy to spend so much on dragon scales when I will be upgrading the gear once every 10 levels... So I remembered that I always liked the Covenant Scout costume, and decided to try out good ol' Breton medium armour. I was pleasantly surprised at the result :)

Breton
xdAqXXg.jpg

YjzEgTq.jpg

For comparison, this is the Covenant Scout Costume:
n5qP74a.jpg

Edit:
Tried out a Bosmer look with a dash of Imperial:
qgnwbRW.jpg

CdZvYST.jpg

M4DM0LW.jpg
Everything is Bosmer Leather Medium except Shoulder and Boots which are Imperial Medium and Sash which is Imperial Light.

I don't particularly like the more "primitive" aspects of the Bosmer armour style, with the bones and stuff, and I felt the Imperial pieces fit in quite well aethetically and RP-wise (my girl is Imperial afterall)

So... does anyone else stick with the "common" styles and managed to make it look nice? Got some good examples to share?
Edited by Heindrich on January 17, 2016 12:00PM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have some characters in standard racial styles. I know my imperials are in their own native style... which technically isn't one of the basic 9... but still. Most of my characters are in the old Daedric style, though. Not sure if that qualifies as a basic style or not. But, that was partially motivated by the fact that I have so many daedric hearts sitting around.
  • Morathras
    Morathras
    ✭✭✭
    no^^ Xivkyn polymorph ftw :D
  • r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main issue for me is that most of the common motifs/those that were in game from the start are somewhat lacking in style and texturing/details. Or they have weirdly floating elbow pads, colours look strange on them... those things.
    Lairgren | DC Dragonknight - August Palatine
    playing for eXile

I'm done, CU somewhere else.
  • moesmaker
    moesmaker
    ✭✭✭
    I made for my breton templar healer a new light set in argonian style to celebrate V9. Simply gorgeous :)
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main issue for me is that most of the common motifs/those that were in game from the start are somewhat lacking in style and texturing/details. Or they have weirdly floating elbow pads, colours look strange on them... those things.

The thing that really bugs me about them is, they have no alternate mesh data. So you can wear big, bulky, Heavy Nordic armor... but it's just painted over your character's chest. Which, once you notice it, looks really weird. The biggest offender is probably Dwemer heavy. But, it's an issue.
  • r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The thing that really bugs me about them is, they have no alternate mesh data. So you can wear big, bulky, Heavy Nordic armor... but it's just painted over your character's chest. Which, once you notice it, looks really weird. The biggest offender is probably Dwemer heavy. But, it's an issue.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that.
    playing for eXile

• Fruity_Ninja
    Fruity_Ninja
    ✭✭✭
    No examples, as I have no screenshots on me, But I re geared 3x VR16s during IC patch with 90% of their pieces from common styles.

I find most of the new armor styles distasteful (although I haven't checked out Akaviri or Mercenary yet).

Edited by Fruity_Ninja on January 15, 2016 11:57AM
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I could craft high level gear with low level looks, I would use the common styles all the time.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is nothing better than a heavy khajit helmet.
    Screw min max heavy chest :sunglasses:
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wollust wrote: »
    There is nothing better than a heavy khajit helmet.
    Screw min max heavy chest :sunglasses:

Wood Elf is also not bad :smiley:
    playing for eXile

• Artjuh90
    Artjuh90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm using barbaric on my orc which fit it quite nicely ;D
    but i do like the redguard style the most in general
    Edited by Artjuh90 on January 15, 2016 12:05PM
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I love the xivkyn motif, I don`t care that it is rare or fancy or stuff like that, I just love the way it looks.

so I always ask my crafter guild mate to craft me my armor in that style. Once he had not found the charcoal of remorse (style material for xivkyn) and crafted me my armor in dunmer motif. I did not like how it looked, compared to xivkyn.

for sure there can be basic motifs that look good, but I want xivkyn, I like the way it looks and that is all :)

but found that argonian motif 2H sword looks pretty awesome, so I have a sword from this motif. I recommend :)
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My Nord still wears Nord style :P
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AngryNord wrote: »

But is he really angry?
  • Artjuh90
    Artjuh90
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But is he really angry?

seen his post he can get angry :p
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

But is he really angry?

Yes. Those mead prices in the Windhelm tavern are outrageous!
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I only use the racial ones, mainly because it's my first character and I'm poor af lol
  • robkrush
    robkrush
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made my v16 armor nord.
    PS4-NA-DC
    PSN: robkrush

The game's central concept of "PvP in PvP areas and be safe in safe areas" needs to stay the way it is.
    ZOS, 1-12-2016
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My VR16 magicka DK uses Mercenary light for her DPS gear, and Xivkyn heavy (Imperium) for her tank gear. My VR16 magicka NB uses glass for her tank gear, Xivkyn light for her healer gear (SPC), but for her DPS gear, she's still using good old Redguard+Breton:

C7dzE8R.png

I really like the look of Redguard light (well, except for the hat). It might be "common", but I think it looks better than most of the more exotic styles out there.
    Edited by code65536 on January 15, 2016 12:15PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My vet 16 nb has Primal. Not common, but it's one of the least used these days.

Until 16 my toons all rock generic stuff though. Breton medium currently on my stam Sorc and khajit (hide helmet) medium on my stamplar
    Edited by Brrrofski on January 15, 2016 12:26PM
  • Dexter411
    Dexter411
    ✭✭✭
    On female character You always need to use Dark Seducer or Golden Saint costumes and hide helmet. Give you so much "freedom" in front, if you know what i mean. But going but to topic, Breton light head piece will be always on every of my magicka characters :)
  • Elsir
    Elsir
    ✭✭✭✭
    I alternate costumes in and out now and then, but underneath any costume I wear is the Altmer style. Been using it for as long as I remember and dyeing it made it even more nicer for my choice of style.
    Anna (AKA: Elsir)
    Templar
  • clayandaudrey_ESO
    clayandaudrey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My VR16 Khajiit nightblade will use nothing other than his native gear.
  • Daraugh
    Daraugh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use costumes sometimes, but I always come back to the native styles. Here's Silken Purr in Khajiit heavy and light mix.

HpQrw0w.png
    May all beings have happiness
    May they be free from suffering
    May they find the joy that has never known suffering
    May they be free from attachment and hatred
  • RapturousRex
    RapturousRex
    ✭✭✭
    I tend up make a mishmash, I love Khajiit shoulders because of that Saiyan armour feel.

Currently rocking full mercenary gear at VR13 mind, which is pretty snazzy, and saving up for the Akaviri armour. Got enough crowns to buy dwemer or Xivkyn too [already know the others], so I'm tryna collect them all. I do experiment with them, try and combine things [nord girdle looks like a championship wrestling belt].
  • Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the Khajiit motifs with my Khajiit. :)

I honestly couldn't care less about the expensive, fancy motifs, whenever I get them I just put them in a guild bank. I could probably sell them for a lot of money, but too much effort when in the end, I don't care about money either. I'm like that irl too.
  • Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am big fan of Breton heavy helm, but I also like Xivkyn poly, so I'm undecided right now what I'm gonna use in the future.
    Georgion - Bosmer/Templar - PC/EU
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mercenary is the new cheap hobo gear, must be the easist to get these days :P Selling my pages for like 500-1000g.

Argonian is fairly popular, and nord as well. I see a lot of bosmer too. Personally im running ancient orc but that one is expensive :)
    EU PC
  • Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vildebill wrote: »
    Mercenary is the new cheap hobo gear, must be the easist to get these days :P Selling my pages for like 500-1000g.

Argonian is fairly popular, and nord as well. I see a lot of bosmer too. Personally im running ancient orc but that one is expensive :)

lmao :D
    Georgion - Bosmer/Templar - PC/EU
  • IwakuraLain42
    IwakuraLain42
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My vr16 female Bosmer nightblade is clothed mostly in Khajiit gear (except the legs and shoulders, these are Mercenary). I just don't like all the bones on the higher level woodie styles ;-)