The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

AoE Caps Discussion

• Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some caps have to be present; heals for example need caps.. Same with barrier.. Even daoc capped most of its heals to group only (8 people) so that should tell you hrals should be capped somewhat.

Aoe damage though shouldn't be capped and it should result in extreme death if you are foolish enough to stack agains aoes
  • Ara_Valleria
    Ara_Valleria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    Lava_Croft wrote: »
    If you proclaim to be in favor of a fair PvP experience yet you have no problems to team up with people who exploit for months on end, you are just a bit full of the poo poo. If by 'fair' you mean that it's not negatively affecting you, then I know what you mean.

I can not make decisions except for myself. Abusing a bug in a game i play for fun and the moral dilemma it might create is not more important for me than spending time with people i consider friends.

Maybe if you had any you would understand that.

ooo ouch ! :lol:
    °‡° ÁDAMANT °‡°
    The Addon Abusers, Exploiters & Macro'ers Refuge
    •••• | Ara Valleria - AD NightBlade | Templàra Valleria - AD Templar | Åra Valleria - AD DragonKnight | Ára V - AD DragonKnight | Ara Laifu - DC NightBlade | Ara Waifu - EP Sorcerer | ••••

••••••| YOUTUBE |••••••
    Want to take a break from all the Lagging|Crashing|Cancer ?
    Play Albion Online
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This whole thread is facepalm. I genuinely see no reason to discuss the concept of AoE caps which is why I haven't bothered posting so far.

AoE caps have failed by experiment. They should not be considered a subject for discussion in 2015 any more than the question of the earth being flat or round. Empirical evidence makes both questions outdated.

When the caps were first announced back in April 2014, Atropos of TamrielFoundry wrote a very on-point article (clicky this) analyzing why it was such a bad idea.

Every point he made sounded right and every point was proven correct in time. Yet here we are 19 months later still debating the same points with 0 indication from the developers as to why they even think AoE caps are a good idea or necessary.

Pointless thread is pointless.
    EU | PC | AD
  • CtrlAltDlt
    CtrlAltDlt
    ✭✭✭
    This whole thread is facepalm. I genuinely see no reason to discuss the concept of AoE caps which is why I haven't bothered posting so far.

AoE caps have failed by experiment. They should not be considered a subject for discussion in 2015 any more than the question of the earth being flat or round. Empirical evidence makes both questions outdated.

When the caps were first announced back in April 2014, Atropos of TamrielFoundry wrote a very on-point article (clicky this) analyzing why it was such a bad idea.

Every point he made sounded right and every point was proven correct in time. Yet here we are 19 months later still debating the same points with 0 indication from the developers as to why they even think AoE caps are a good idea or necessary.

Pointless thread is pointless.

This.
    PC NA - jeazzy

stamblade outnumbered pvp vol 1. youtu.be/h1ONYfpAJJ8
    Stamblade outbumbered pvp vol 2. No cheese youtu.be/rN4_aRVMvWw
  • Nafirian
    Nafirian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lava_Croft wrote: »
    If you proclaim to be in favor of a fair PvP experience yet you have no problems to team up with people who exploit for months on end, you are just a bit full of the poo poo. If by 'fair' you mean that it's not negatively affecting you, then I know what you mean.

I can not make decisions except for myself. Abusing a bug in a game i play for fun and the moral dilemma it might create is not more important for me than spending time with people i consider friends.

Maybe if you had any you would understand that.

FH46AHH.gif
  • RoamingRiverElk
    RoamingRiverElk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I truly hope this thread was posted as a "let's just make sure by asking them once more that it's ok to go on and remove AOE caps completely". The community has, after all, been asking the devs to communicate more with us, including *before* changes are made.

Reducing the number of targets Purge and Barrier affect is great. Just make sure the one who activates the skill receives the effect. By doing this instead of increasing the cost means that small groups and solo players are still able to purge when they need to. Now, just add the same target number cap to maneuver.
    Edited by RoamingRiverElk on November 30, 2015 11:44AM
    Dalris Aalr - Magicka (Stamina) DK | Dalfish - Magicka Sorc | Dal Aalr - Magicka Warden | Dalrish - Mag/Stam NB | Irana Aalr - PvE Templar
  • Darnathian
    Darnathian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Omg. People stop falling for this. There was already a thread that show why aOE cap should be removed. It also showed the majority did not want it.

This is clearly just another attempt at stalling to keep players here as long as possible. This was suppose to be a thread where he explained why they put them in. Not us saying the same stuff over and over. DONT BE FOOLED.

I see this in the navy on aircraft carriers. Sailors get in line and have no idea what the line is for. Just blindly following.

WE AREA THE cUSTOMERS. WE DID NOT WANT THE AOE CAP.

So you tell us why you did it
  • Jhunn
    Jhunn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they don't remove AOE caps after this discussion with 400 replies and 95% of people agreeing it'll be the most obvious statement that they don't really give a f*uck, and also the final deathblow to PVP. Since @Wrobel went silent I'm not really expecting anything anymore. Talk about false hope :)
    Gave up.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jhunn wrote: »
    If they don't remove AOE caps after this discussion with 400 replies and 95% of people agreeing it'll be the most obvious statement that they don't really give a f*uck, and also the final deathblow to PVP. Since @Wrobel went silent I'm not really expecting anything anymore. Talk about false hope :)

Yep - at this point i´m merely waiting for someone to tell us wrobel knows best and aoe caps are going to stay. That will be the day i instantly deinstall the game and put their website on my blocklist so i don´t ever consider going back.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Jhunn
    Jhunn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep - at this point i´m merely waiting for someone to tell us wrobel knows best and aoe caps are going to stay. That will be the day i instantly deinstall the game and put their website on my blocklist so i don´t ever consider going back.
    And I think most PVP people will do the same, me included. Plus all the casuals who this game is being catered to will leave when the next TES game comes out. RIP
    Gave up.
  • Darnathian
    Darnathian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop responding to this thread until he explains why they put them in. His post was no explanation If it was then they have no clue and it's time to move on.

Not one response. They are stalling.

Call them out on it.
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I've even figured out how to spell DELETE for my characters!
  • VincentBlanquin
    VincentBlanquin
    ✭✭✭
    well maybe at first casuals are pleased they are "protected"

at second they just die to boredom like the others

so how would that be mr. wrobel?
    Irwen Vincinter - Nord - Dragonknight
    Irw´en - Bosmer - Nightblade
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    turgon1987 wrote: »
    Remove the AoE caps it is one of the best ideas, since you introduced that the lag in Cyrodiil is awful, of course there more things to be sorted about lag but that is one of them.

Reintroducing the camps (I know some of you will kill me for saying this) will be another good idea. I do think with camps we had much less lag. We had groups fighting everywhere in the map but since you removed them is a zerg vs zerg vs zerg and the lag is horrible. You can see the same fights over and over again in the same spots because no one wants to ride 10 min to reach another spot but the pvp guilds.
    @turgon1987 When Forward Camps are reintroduced, blood-porting like before will not be possible.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • FENGRUSH
    FENGRUSH
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wrobel wrote: »
    Last week, we had a really successful discussion on player abilities. It was super constructive

Id like to challenge what a successful discussion is at this point!
  • Jhunn
    Jhunn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    6th day and @Wrobel is still permacloaking.

Nerf cloak
    Gave up.
  • Kwivur
    Kwivur
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've been checking in for a response and still no dice. Maybe he's bugged?
  • Ara_Valleria
    Ara_Valleria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    6th day and @Wrobel is still permacloaking.

Nerf cloak

Confirmed.
    @Wrobel is a NB irl.
    °‡° ÁDAMANT °‡°
    •••• | Ara Valleria - AD NightBlade | Templàra Valleria - AD Templar | Åra Valleria - AD DragonKnight | Ára V - AD DragonKnight | Ara Laifu - DC NightBlade | Ara Waifu - EP Sorcerer | ••••

••••••| YOUTUBE |••••••
    Play Albion Online
  • DeeBunny
    DeeBunny
    ✭✭
    Forgive me if I'm a tad off-topic here, but 2.2.7 dropped today, and looking through the conversation from two weeks ago "Greeting's ESO Forum Posters", regarding class skills, where did you @Wrobel get the impression that Templar class skills are causing too much damage and need to be adjusted downward?

Themes that I read included:
    • Don't nerf skills
    • Adjust Templar and DK class skills to cause more damage

Why post these forums and have discussions if you're taking action that violates the spirit of the discussions?

From today's patch notes:
    Here you go, guys: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/233498/pc-mac-patch-notes-v2-2-7
    Combat & Gameplay
    General
    • Fixed several minor issues for the following abilities, based on the adjustments made in patch v2.2.5:
      • Blazing Spear: Decreased the damage values, which were previously higher than intended.
    -DeeBunny
  • Darnathian
    Darnathian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DeeBunny wrote: »
    Forgive me if I'm a tad off-topic here, but 2.2.7 dropped today, and looking through the conversation from two weeks ago "Greeting's ESO Forum Posters", regarding class skills, where did you @Wrobel get the impression that Templar class skills are causing too much damage and need to be adjusted downward?

• Don't nerf skills

Why post these forums and have discussions if you're taking action that violates the spirit of the discussions?

Here you go, guys: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/233498/pc-mac-patch-notes-v2-2-7
    Combat & Gameplay
    General
    • Fixed several minor issues for the following abilities, based on the adjustments made in patch v2.2.5:
      • Blazing Spear: Decreased the damage values, which were previously higher than intended.

Lol. This gets funnier and funnier the incompetence of this company for balancing. No one has complained about that and that gets a fix immediately not all the other OP skills or needed buffs for Magica DK
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Combat & Gameplay
    General
    OK ZOS, maybe it wasn't "intended". But maybe it should become the intent if it results in better balance.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • jrkhan
    jrkhan
    ✭✭✭
    @prootch
    It's reasonable to assume that currently we have many cases where

damageDealt = .5f * startingDamage;

And if aoe caps changed we'd have

damageDealt = startingDamage;

If you've ever worried about performance you'd know two things about this change:
    1) It will be marginally faster... and
    2) It's so small it will make no direct impact on performance

However, there's no reason to bash people for making perfectly logical assumptions like:
    Multiplying by a float is slower than not multiplying by a float.

---

The real (performance related) question is, how does it impact player behavior -
    Will it encourage players to spread out?
    We have at best, anecdotal evidence that suggests blob groups cause more lag then spread out groups.
    By eliminating aoe caps, you are removing 1 reason to stack up.

You seem to think that by removing one of the reasons to stack, it will cause people to stack more?
    This is counter intuitive.
    You are the one calling out other people for making convoluted assumptions yes?
    Edited by jrkhan on November 30, 2015 8:59PM
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Derra on December 1, 2015 8:33AM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Ara_Valleria
    Ara_Valleria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Could you guys kindly check on @Wrobel ... think he fell asleep on his desk.

His forum account might get deactivated if he sleeps for a year again.
    °‡° ÁDAMANT °‡°

••••••| YOUTUBE |••••••
    Play Albion Online
  • Efficient
    Efficient
    ✭✭✭
    @Wrobel @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_BrianWheeler

Hello? Your customers are asking for something. Should we wait another week?
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eric in this thread:
    grandpa-comes-and-leaves.gif
  • Manoekin
    Manoekin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

• Don't nerf skills

Combat & Gameplay
    General

Yeah I don't get it either. Blazing Spear already did next to no damage. Why in the world would make it deal even less?
  • PainfulFAFA
    PainfulFAFA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manoekin wrote: »

• Don't nerf skills

Combat & Gameplay
    General

Yeah I don't get it either. Blazing Spear already did next to no damage. Why in the world would make it deal even less?

And yet Steel Tornado is left untouched with its ridiculous range and execute capabilities...
    Seriously I never even noticed Blazing Spear had unintended values... thats how weak it is
    PC NA
    Aztec | AZTEC | Ahztec | Aztehk | Master of Mnem
    MagDK | Magplar | Magward | Mageblade | Stamsorc

• hammayolettuce
    hammayolettuce
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blazing spear is still used?
    Snü (Magicka DK) ♥ Thnu (Stamplar) ♥ Pizza for Breakfast (Magplar) ♥ Sparklefingers (Magicka Sorc) ♥
    Bean and Cheese Burrito (Magicka DK) ♥ Snurrito (Stamplar) ♥
    DARFAL COVANT
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manoekin wrote: »

• Don't nerf skills

Combat & Gameplay
    General

Because the nerf done to it last month (yes ZoS, we remember the removal of half its ticks and thus half its burning light proc damage) obviously wasn't enough.