The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Heavy armor needs buffed already.

• Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In order to get great mitigation why not but points in cp with a load of points in hardy and elemently defender when thieves guild comes out get ready to get 120 unchained stamina build wrecking blowers. :p

This is how heavy armor can be useless most the time. :|

It's the new hardy that is driving the final nails into heavy armors coffin.
    Options
  • trucqulent
    trucqulent
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion Armor should work as followed.

Light: Powerful attacks have to stand behind shields and range to win. Can't take more then a few hits without a shield up.

Medium: Powerful attacks have to keep moving good at range or Melee. Can take a fair amount of hits.

Heavy: Powerful attacks have to keep enemies in Melee range the worst at ranged attacks but can take far more hits.

What we have makes more sense then release but is still not there.

yeah - that's one of my biggest issues.

especially while leveling, even with full heavy armor there trade-off of dps for survivability just isn't as pronounced as it could be.
    Options
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    trucqulent wrote: »
    In my opinion Armor should work as followed.

Light: Powerful attacks have to stand behind shields and range to win. Can't take more then a few hits without a shield up.

Medium: Powerful attacks have to keep moving good at range or Melee. Can take a fair amount of hits.

Heavy: Powerful attacks have to keep enemies in Melee range the worst at ranged attacks but can take far more hits.

What we have makes more sense then release but is still not there.

yeah - that's one of my biggest issues.

especially while leveling, even with full heavy armor there trade-off of dps for survivability just isn't as pronounced as it could be.

And that's why alot of players want HA buffed cause trading off massive DPS for a 50% hard cap survivbility chance is as you said not worth it.

Cause why trade off that massive damage when you also have accesses to damage shields and rolling which have been proven to be far better than mitigation for defense.
    Options
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Light armor - reduce magicka cost and magicka regen
    Medium armor - reduce stamina cost and stamina regen
    Heavy armor - why not reduce ultimate cost and ultimate regen?
    Because I can!
    Options
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bashev wrote: »

Could work but then again there will already be enough meteor spam when TG update drops.
    Options
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    increases magicka and stamina recovery by 5% when wearing 5+ pieces of heavy armor.

This is actually a nerf compared to what I have on Live. At 1200 Recovery, the current Constitution bonus is a 13% increase and even at my more optimized 2000 Stamina Recovery, the current bonus is an 8% increase. Plus, too many percentage modifiers is part of why we are in the current damage stacking meta. With the proposed Recovery increase here, Stamina/Magicka Recovery must reach 3000 before it can be on par with what Heavy Armor has today.

And again, I cannot agree with the 5+ requirement on Immovable. Look at post #58 for my idea with buffing Immovable.

@Forestd16b14_ESO Your suggestions are improving over past attempts but please do some math too. Just because a bonus sounds nice and balanced does not mean it is nice and balanced.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.
    Options
  • ShadowDisciple
    ShadowDisciple
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nénlindë wrote: »
    I agree entirely with this thread. Heavy Armor obviously does need some buffing, but it's a very delicate subject.

nothing delicate here bro... mediu armor has 75% armor rating of an equivalent heavy piece... buuuuut medium set has the much needed stamina managment

Easy Fix - Sword and Shield line passives has to be transfered in some way to heavy armor... so no more medium armor + sword and block pwners..

in Duels i always use S&B and there is no good reason to use anything else...sometimes i try dual wield, but i just give uo very soon and pull out S&B again
    Options
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ffastyl wrote: »
    increases magicka and stamina recovery by 5% when wearing 5+ pieces of heavy armor.

This is actually a nerf compared to what I have on Live. At 1200 Recovery, the current Constitution bonus is a 13% increase and even at my more optimized 2000 Stamina Recovery, the current bonus is an 8% increase. Plus, too many percentage modifiers is part of why we are in the current damage stacking meta. With the proposed Recovery increase here, Stamina/Magicka Recovery must reach 3000 before it can be on par with what Heavy Armor has today.

And again, I cannot agree with the 5+ requirement on Immovable. Look at post #58 for my idea with buffing Immovable.

@Forestd16b14_ESO Your suggestions are improving over past attempts but please do some math too. Just because a bonus sounds nice and balanced does not mean it is nice and balanced.

Look I a sorry but 5+ pieces are needed for the armor skills other wise immovable be back were it started of every one including LA and MA users using it and of course exploiting it making it get nerfed again. That's why it was nerfed to begin with that every one was using it making CCs totally useless in AvA and as we all know best way to make sure some on is dead in AvA is to CC them. Want to use immovable then use HA like your supposed too.

And just cause you have better recovery than the new passives I suggested doesn't mean every one else does. I am sorry but you are starting to sound like "learn to play my way" if you want to recommend a change then please post it not just say do the math that is what this thread was created for. For players to recommend changes they want and build off that to hopefully a new HA that ZOS can add to the game cause how it is now LA and MA users clearly outlast HA users while also maintaining that DPS.
    Options
  • urkonse
    urkonse
    ✭✭✭
    imo they shall overall buff tanking. as tanking currently doesnt feel very tanky & it nerfes your dps to....negative
    Lightning guild is recruiting active players at any level & skill ( PS4 , EU)
    Options
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you are starting to sound like "learn to play my way"

There were better ways for me to word what I said... What I'm trying to get across is to be conscientious of the Devs current framework and intents for overall balance. The passives you listed in the last large post I like, I gave an awesome for them, but the 5+ requirements on active abilities is a limitation not seen on any other abilities and heavily using this requirement makes Heavy Armor difficult to utilize for hybrid players. It comes across as trying to reinvent the wheel, something the Devs are unlikely to do (attempted to in Update 6).

The criticism on percentages is that it modifies a base value: the higher the value, the higher the benefit. So a 5%, 10%, X% increase will be more beneficial to 2k Recovery than 1k Recovery.
    At 1200 Recovery, the current Constitution bonus is a 13% increase and even at my more optimized 2000 Stamina Recovery, the current bonus is an 8% increase. Plus, too many percentage modifiers is part of why we are in the current damage stacking meta. With the proposed Recovery increase here, Stamina/Magicka Recovery must reach 3000 before it can be on par with what Heavy Armor has today.
    The math here was intended to show how changing from a constant to a percentage would be detrimental to Heavy Armor, which has lower Recovery to begin with. I approximated the benefit of Constitution as 150 because it restores a little over 300 each hit every 4 seconds (Recovery ticks every 2 seconds). What would help low Recovery the most is a constant increase, like we see in the current Constitution. Increasing its value, decreasing its cooldown or removing its condition are ways to buff Heavy Armor Recovery.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Options
  • RatedChaotic
    RatedChaotic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would like to see......Having shield block up buffs allies behind with physical and magic resist. Would make us full tanks feel more useful. I miss yellin "Shield Wall".
    Edited by RatedChaotic on February 11, 2016 8:06PM
    Options
  • I55UE5
    I55UE5
    ✭✭✭

Really like the sound of this. Though it would only highlight more class imbalances. :'(
    Options
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would like to see......Having shield block up buffs allies behind with physical and magic resist. Would make us full tanks feel more useful. I miss yellin "Shield Wall".

I miss yellin "Shield Wall

yeah... I miss that to :)

Edited by hrothbern on February 11, 2016 8:14PM
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
    Options
  • joleda4ub17_ESO
    joleda4ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    In order to get great mitigation why not but points in cp with a load of points in hardy and elemently defender when thieves guild comes out get ready to get 120 unchained stamina build wrecking blowers. :p

This is how heavy armor can be useless most the time. :|

It's the new hardy that is driving the final nails into heavy armors coffin.

How so? Educate me, please.
    Options
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hardy will reduce Physical Damage taken by a percentage. This percentage reduction is done after mitigation is factored, meaning it is unaffected by Armor Penetration. And as percentages go, the more damage taken, the more this passive reduces it. So non plated players will receive more mitigation from Hardy than plated players, reducing the mitigation difference between armor types even more. Given Heavy Armor in its current state only has mitigation going for it, Hardy will "drive the final nails into heavy armors coffin."
    Edited by Ffastyl on February 11, 2016 8:51PM

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:

Options
  • joleda4ub17_ESO
    joleda4ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Hardy will reduce Physical Damage taken by a percentage. This percentage reduction is done after mitigation is factored, meaning it is unaffected by Armor Penetration. And as percentages go, the more damage taken, the more this passive reduces it. So non plated players will receive more mitigation from Hardy than plated players, reducing the mitigation difference between armor types even more. Given Heavy Armor in its current state only has mitigation going for it, Hardy will "drive the final nails into heavy armors coffin."
    Thanks for the explanation!
    Options
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Ffastyl

I am all for the hybrid build hence why some passives need 5+ and some just per piece but when coming to the active skill I personally believe not just for immovable but all 3 armor skills need 5+ pieces to use. You need a bow to use focus aim you need a 2H to use wrecking blow so I have no idea why ZOS made it so that you don't even need armor on to use a armor skill.

Now as a tank player the normal go is to have good health recovery and ok stamina and some how good stamina recovery too so the +5% recovery would help too but if you feel that even then it's lacking compare to the current regen system of constitution then it can be bumped up to 10% but it can not be too powerful cause then the DPS players will scream unkillable OP again and nerf HA again.
    Options
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also since were ont eh topic ZOS can you also please clean up the 9 basic race style especially for HA. Like yes the new stuff looks shiny but what about the old stuff?
    Options
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as these buffs are not blatantly overpowered, "immortals" will not be something to worry about. Even currently, there are many draws in duels involving Heavy Armor focused players so it is clear Heavy Armor still lacks the offense to overcome enemy defense (healing/mitigation/evasion).

I am of the stance percentage modifiers are only acceptable as the only type of modifier or where the cumulative bonus is less than or equal to 10%. The current balancing with many base modifiers (sets, enchantments) and cumulative percentage modifiers of over 75% (20% Major Brutality/Sorcery, 5% Minor, 25% Major Berzerk, 25% CP, passives) has shown to not be balanced. In a game with many levels stats have to scale to, percentages are attractive as they only require one percentage to cover all levels as opposed to making a flat value for each level, but we can already see where that leads us. There is also the fact that percentage boosts favor pure builds. Diminishing returns favor hybrid builds and flat values favor neither type.

Constitution at 7/7 is 28% Health Recovery and 346 Stamina/Magicka per hit per 4 seconds. It could be buffed to 100 Health Recovery and 80 Stamina/Magicka Recovery per piece, for 700 Health Recovery and 560 Stamina/Magicka at 7/7. That Stamina/Magicka Recovery could be gated behind 5 pieces, as you describe in your passives, which would shift it to a flat value activated upon the 5/7 mark. 600 could be that flat value or 500. That range seems appropriate since it does buff Heavy Armor Recovery without going over the Health Recovery bonus. Why 700 for Health Recovery? Without Drink, my Health Recovery is at 1000 to 1200 (depending on jewelry) and the no modifiers base value is supposedly 500, so at present I receive a +500 to a +700 with the Constitution 28% and set/enchantment/CP modifiers.

My idea of Heavy Armor is to be something you never have to block in (barring Trials/Vet content). Wearing platemail should make you unstoppable, if slow. Blocking is something done for a tactical advantage, not a necessity for mitigating damage. CC immunity from Immovable and higher passive or long lasting active mitigation are what will allow Heavy Armor to play this way, the way that makes a brute force warrior swinging a greatsword in the thick of it a viable reality. That is the way I would like Heavy Armor to become.

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:

Options
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Could work but then again there will already be enough meteor spam when TG update drops.

But in heavy you will be lacking some DPS compared to medium or light. Of course the resource management again will be *** and such change will benefit mostly DKs because of battle roar. But if we do not see any changes heavy will be useless and people will wear it not because of the passive but because of the heavy sets (reactive).
    The only reason why I use heavy now, is the reactive set, Akaviri Dragonguard set or Durok set. What does it mean? These bonuses of the 5th piece are useful and they can go into heavy armor passives somehow.
    Because I can!
    Options
  • Teridaxus
    Teridaxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So....any idea if heavy will be mentioned in this eso live?
    Options
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's on now so we'll see.

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:

Options
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update 10 is the ETA on Heavy Armor buffs!

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:

Options
  • david.haypreub18_ESO
    david.haypreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe. He just said something like update 10. This to me means that they're not doing anything now, and not for a while.

Terrible.
    Templars are 'just slower... by design'
    Yes, Gina actually said that (at least regarding Rushed Ceremony) right here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/161959/templar-skills-bugged-made-useless-ignored/p24
    VR 16 Templar (retired until Templars get fixed)
    VR 16 Sorcerer
    38 Nightblade
    24 DK
    Options
  • Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Would have to be huge buff if they really want to make heavy users hard to kill in PvP. If they want them at least to be on par with shield stackers, it would have to be monster buff.
    Georgion - Bosmer/Templar - PC/EU
    Options
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No ETA for now
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
    Options
  • Zheg
    Zheg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Incompetent is the word I keep coming back to. The reason we didn't get heavy armor changes right now is because they didn't want to push through too many changes at once, and because wrobel thinks that heavy armor starts off better than medium and light because it has 'so much more armor' to paraphrase, and while the heavy armor passives are 'really useful' (quoted) the extra armor/resist from heavy armor is supposedly a trade-off to having any sort of resource generation - which is what almost all of survival is dependent on.

Enjoy tanking in medium armor in pve, and enjoy being far more tanky in light using shield and medium using dodge roll in pvp.
    Edited by Zheg on February 12, 2016 9:44PM
    Options
  • Teridaxus
    Teridaxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welp...i waited since the beta for a useful heavy armour....i guess i can wait until update 10...
    Options
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Wait @Ffastyl I missed live cause of work HA buff are in for U10 ??
    Options
  • Mr.Hmm
    Mr.Hmm
    ✭✭✭✭
    When is the Update 10?
    And what Update are we on currently?
    Edited by Mr.Hmm on February 12, 2016 10:45PM
    If I die tomorrow I do not want to think of the game I could of played today, therefor I will play whatever I want today while securing a future to play in as well.

A true gamer will think of all the possible outcomes and execute the one that is the hardest to accomplish.
    Options