The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Your Magicka, Health, and Stamina bars will now remain visible - Do you like it?

• Sneaky-Snurr
    Sneaky-Snurr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I voted 'Yes' but I can see why others voted 'No'. The HUD indicators flashing and/or glowing can be an unnecessary distraction or annoyance to some and there should be an option for players to disable HUD indicators as this would provide flexibility on the gameplay with zero drawbacks. I support a tweak in that feature.
    Edited by Sneaky-Snurr on September 4, 2015 6:26PM
    The Order of the Shadows: Nightmare
      EP CP810 Nightblade
      AD CP810 Templar
      AD CP810 Dragon Knight
      AD Lvl 25 Sorceror
      DC Lvl 23 Nightblade
    {PC•NA•no-CP Ravenwatch}

Shadow hide you. -Unknown
    There is no clean fight in a war. -Shun Izaki
    Options
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    MissBizz wrote: »
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Interesting that drinks do not have this effect on the bars. I'm confused how food is an "active effect" but drinks are not.
    How would you show increased Regeneration on the bars as a permanent feature? It's only really valid when attributes are being restored, unlike food buffs which increase the maximum.
    @enodoc I thought the point of the stat bars not going away was to know your when your food buff ended.
    Possibly true, but the reason it is making the bars longer is because it's increasing the maximum; increasing the regen rate would need a different visual effect (and currently it doesn't have one at all). That's why I was asking how you would like to see an increase in regen rate on the bars. For example, maybe a constant red/green/blue glow around the bar. Although that may be used for something already...
    @Enodoc I'm not talking about the bars growing longer... they always did with food. I think we are talking 2 different things.

What my issue is that previous to this update, while questing, my health/stam/magicka bars would only appear on screen when in combat (or a short flash to tell me my food ended). Now, my health/magicka (because I use blue food) bars stay on screen at ALL times - even when not in combat. It's not that the bars go bigger, it's that they stay on screen at all time and NEVER go away (even out of combat)

Therefore I was under the impression the bars stayed there - so if your bars went away you knew your food buff ended. But since this doesn't happen with drinks, I don't even understand the point.
    Yeah sure, I understand what you're saying - food always changed the length of the bar, and now we're seeing that bar all the time during the food buff. The drink buff doesn't change the bar at all, and never did, so there is no active effect that could stay visible. What I'm getting at is, if the drink buff were to function in the same way, and also keep the bar shown for the entire duration of the buff, like the food buff now does, how would it be shown? They would have to introduce a new effect for the drink buff that they could then show all the time.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
    Options
  • MrGrimey
    MrGrimey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Of all the things this community decides to complain about... Smh :(
    Edited by MrGrimey on September 4, 2015 10:29PM
    Options
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Rodvic wrote: »
    It needs to be an option. Forcing things like this on players is terrible imho.

Hopefully this is just a bug

True that! I *LOVE* my min UI -- less junk on screen the better (unless u are in combat, even then only the min is needed)
    Options
  • Jim_Berry
    Jim_Berry
    ✭✭✭
    Would suck for people who have TVs that give easily to burn-ins.
    Options
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Interesting that drinks do not have this effect on the bars. I'm confused how food is an "active effect" but drinks are not.
    How would you show increased Regeneration on the bars as a permanent feature? It's only really valid when attributes are being restored, unlike food buffs which increase the maximum.
    @enodoc I thought the point of the stat bars not going away was to know your when your food buff ended.
    Possibly true, but the reason it is making the bars longer is because it's increasing the maximum; increasing the regen rate would need a different visual effect (and currently it doesn't have one at all). That's why I was asking how you would like to see an increase in regen rate on the bars. For example, maybe a constant red/green/blue glow around the bar. Although that may be used for something already...
    @Enodoc I'm not talking about the bars growing longer... they always did with food. I think we are talking 2 different things.

What my issue is that previous to this update, while questing, my health/stam/magicka bars would only appear on screen when in combat (or a short flash to tell me my food ended). Now, my health/magicka (because I use blue food) bars stay on screen at ALL times - even when not in combat. It's not that the bars go bigger, it's that they stay on screen at all time and NEVER go away (even out of combat)

Therefore I was under the impression the bars stayed there - so if your bars went away you knew your food buff ended. But since this doesn't happen with drinks, I don't even understand the point.
    Yeah sure, I understand what you're saying - food always changed the length of the bar, and now we're seeing that bar all the time during the food buff. The drink buff doesn't change the bar at all, and never did, so there is no active effect that could stay visible. What I'm getting at is, if the drink buff were to function in the same way, and also keep the bar shown for the entire duration of the buff, like the food buff now does, how would it be shown? They would have to introduce a new effect for the drink buff that they could then show all the time.

Ah okay. I kind of understand. How I was seeing it is my food buff makes the bar stay on screen. When my bars disappear I know my food buff finished. When I take a drink... My bars do not stay on screen so they are not showing me I even have a drink buff on. I was thinking of it as I still have the buff (shows on character sheet) but you see it as the buff is not actively doing anything. I get what you mean now :)
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
    Options
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    MrGrimey wrote: »
    When you have been used to a completely clear UI for 18 months and you suddenly are forced into seeing three colourful blobs on-screen, it's a bit of an eyesore. Particularly when you consider that one of ZOS' design decisions was a minimal UI.

Ah okay. I kind of understand. How I was seeing it is my food buff makes the bar stay on screen. When my bars disappear I know my food buff finished. When I take a drink... My bars do not stay on screen so they are not showing me I even have a drink buff on. I was thinking of it as I still have the buff (shows on character sheet) but you see it as the buff is not actively doing anything. I get what you mean now :)
    Yep that's it :) If there was a way that the UI showed "Increased regeneration", then that would be a good thing, as it would show that the buff was current even if it's not actively doing anything. So my suggestion for constantly showing "increased regeneration" would be a permanent glow around the bar, or maybe static chevrons inside the bar (since that's similar to how HoT is shown).
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
    Options
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    MrGrimey wrote: »
    When you have been used to a completely clear UI for 18 months and you suddenly are forced into seeing three colourful blobs on-screen, it's a bit of an eyesore. Particularly when you consider that one of ZOS' design decisions was a minimal UI.

Or, even worse. Two bars.. one in the middle and one to the left.. because you use blue food.. and it's not even symmetrical. :angry:

Edited by MissBizz on September 4, 2015 10:50PM
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
    Options
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care
    I don't care because i use addons to have them all 3 visible all the time.
    Options
  • BigMac_Smiley
    BigMac_Smiley
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

Currently on console when you use regen food your bars will stay on. They are the same size but you get constant arrows showing the bar filling up. When your bars are full there is one arrow and when it is low there is two arrows indicating a faster regen then normal.
    Options
  • Asha_11_ESO
    Asha_11_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Thanks. Now I know it was intended, I can at least stop going through every addon I have installed, and every setting, wringing my hair trying to find out how to hide that buffed attribute bar.

But regardless, I hate this change. Currently installing addon after addon to try find something, anything that will hide it. (Tried FTC, but I don't want all that...stuff.)
    Options
  • Dahkoht
    Dahkoht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Again , why would they force this after all their talk of letting users have a minimal UI etc?
    Options
  • Carde
    Carde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    So I just noticed a bit earlier while playing without my addons (I turn them off in dungeons because right now they generate a ton of stutter/lag when grouped for some reason) that this little UI feature isn't happening for me. My health/mana/stamina bars disappear like normal. Not sure what's up. Happens with or without the addons.
    Member of the Psijic Order PTS Group
    Options
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Carde wrote: »
    So I just noticed a bit earlier while playing without my addons (I turn them off in dungeons because right now they generate a ton of stutter/lag when grouped for some reason) that this little UI feature isn't happening for me. My health/mana/stamina bars disappear like normal. Not sure what's up. Happens with or without the addons.

@carde are you using food or drinks?
    Options
  • Carde
    Carde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Carde wrote: »

@carde are you using food or drinks?

Yep, both depending on what I'm doing. Really weird that mine disappear.
    Member of the Psijic Order PTS Group
    Options
  • Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    My health bar frenetically flashing because of Ayleid Well buff, so annoying :x
    EU ‣ Wabbajack nostalgic ‣ Blackwater Blade defender ‣ Kyne wanderer
    The offspring of the root of all evil in ESO by DeanTheCat
    Why ESO needs a monthly subscription
    When an MMO is designed around a revenue model rather than around fun, it doesn’t have a long-term future.Richard A. Bartle
    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.lordrichter
    ... in the balance of power between the accountants and marketing types against the artists, developers and those who generally want to build and run a good game then that balance needs to always be in favour of the latter - because the former will drag the game into the ground for every last bean they can squeeze out of it.Santie Claws
    Options
  • mrskinskull
    mrskinskull
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    J2JMC wrote: »
    This is a big deal to me. On console we get screwed as turning it off still pops up when buffed which is stupid. Off is off

Now it's always on which is stupid

Oh the irony of you asking for options.

Anyway, this does need to be optional. This particular problem does not bother me. That being said, I need to ensure most, if not all, UI configurations are optional so I can have my buff timers and damage numbers on console without interrupting the play of those who do not like them. ZOS listen to the people. We want information, communication and option...ation.

Edit: Changed OP to more accurately reflect my intentions.

No irony. Follow my threads. I don't want anything other than a compass on my screen. This is an issue and has been sense launch on consoles

That u I is awful.
    The text just cluttering over the health bar.
    I hope this is fixed by the time console gets it.
    Options
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Hey guys, thanks for all your feedback. We are looking into other options for this, and will let you know when we have something nailed down.

Sweet!
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
    Options
  • mjp_ESO
    mjp_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    No
    I play full immersion, so this really pisses me off.

The point however is not that the bars don't go away. The point is that Zeni changed something from the way it's been for 2 years, AND DIDN'T GIVE US AN OPTION TO TURN IT OFF!!! That is disrespectful and taking a dump on your users. You give us options to hide mount upgrades and our helmet, yet FORCE this upon us. If you're going to take the time to make this change, take the time to add a simple optional check box for those of us who don't want it.

To those that voted you don't care, I understand you don't care about this issue - but wait until they decide to screw with something you do care about and don't give you an option to turn it off.

Zeni - if you add an option, there is no controversy. You messed up, so man up and fix it.
    Options
  • Farorin
    Farorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I love it. I can relate to those that wish it were an option, but for me, it is awesome, and I can't wait until it is always in view, I like to see where my attributes are at, even if they are full.
    Options
  • DigitalShibby
    DigitalShibby
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I dislike that it disappears but not having a toggle option seems lame of them.
    Options
  • Alukit
    Alukit
    ✭✭
    Yes
    honestly doesn't really bother me much since its good to know how much of said resource i have left but i think it goes against what ZOS set out for the UI to be very clear & with little items taking up the screen. i agree this should be a choice for the player then just setting it as default. if you are against adding a text box to console cause it will clutter the UI & kills "the immersive" then why would you do this?
    Options
  • Scared_of_Water
    Yes
    Honestly I was sort of upset when I saw there was no option to turn them on in the first place. I can see how it would be annoying for PC players but with the add ons and all.
    Options
  • Morimizo
    Morimizo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    This apparently was not fixed or even hinted at as being an issue in the patch?!

Will it be?

VERY unimmersive.
    Options
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    @ZOS_KaiSchober just tagging you so you can see the thread I referred to in the twitch chat today.

Many people (including myself) find this ruins our immersion, especially in first person, and at first many of us thought it was a bug. We can understand why people would enjoy this new feature (and people do, as seen above), but we would absolutely love to see it as a toggle.
    Options
  • Morimizo
    Morimizo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    @ZOS_KaiSchober just tagging you so you can see the thread I referred to in the twitch chat today.

Many people (including myself) find this ruins our immersion, especially in first person, and at first many of us thought it was a bug. We can understand why people would enjoy this new feature (and people do, as seen above), but we would absolutely love to see it as a toggle.

And yet another patch with no news or inclination to add this as an option.

I'm not one of those that likes to pollute the screen with add-ons that provide every detail of the current combat, much less have two new rectangles stuck on the camera lens like motes in the eye. It isn't just unimmersive, it's distracting, and CLOGS the interface.

PLEASE MAKE THIS AN OPTION.

Options
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    So I had something weird happen yesterday in Cyrodiil. I had some 2-stat food going, and my Magicka bar stayed visible the entire time, but my Health bar wouldn't become visible no matter what. I got killed because I didn't realize I was taking damage, so i didn't heal myself. What the hell? I'm thinking this "feature" must somehow be interacting with one of my addons...
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
    Options
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    There's an update on this issue which is unfortunately not in the favour of anyone who dislikes the new constant stat bars.
    Funny story there. This change was actually a bug (a very old one), and it was never intended that health bars be invisible while under the effect of consumables. That said, we've heard your feedback, and will be reverting this change in a future incremental patch.

Will the affect all platforms ZOS_GinaBruno ? Is there still any talk of making this an optional toggle?

Yes, all platforms. There's discussion about changing the display in other ways, but the quickest thing for us to do was revert the change while we talk about what else can be done.

It's unfortunate that now I won't be able to use drinks to circumvent the always visible bars, but hopefully ZOS finds a way to make this optional soon.

[EDIT] Source thread: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/217134/can-i-get-my-health-bars-back-please-console
    Edited by MissBizz on September 16, 2015 4:12PM
    Options
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    The stats bars' constant visibility really should be toggleable. One likes them, the other doesn't, and I do not like them.

Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Elaine Benes - Breton Templar VR16, EP | Ray McCluck - Breton Sorcerer VR16, EP
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP
    Caia Cosades - Imperial Nightblade, EP

Options
  • Morimizo
    Morimizo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    The stats bars' constant visibility really should be toggleable. One likes them, the other doesn't, and I do not like them.

For instance, why do we need to see the status of our resource bars while at the bank? Honestly...

Oh wait...World PVP incoming? Ugh...

Options
This discussion has been closed.