Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The Prisoner of Jathsogur Glitch

• ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey guys! Could you let us know exactly which quest step you're on for this quest? It should either be "Defeat the Silvenar's Captor" or "Defend the Silvenar." This will help us better identify the exact issue. Thank you!
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • strata2
    strata2
    ✭✭✭
    Defend the Silvernar The NPC that spawns in the top room is always immediately killed (and doesn't make it downstairs). The room is always packed and most people probably don't know you need to wait.
  • Dataririare
    Dataririare
    Soul Shriven
    -
    Edited by Dataririare on November 28, 2019 4:52PM
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    If you're on Defend the Silvenar, you should actually be on the bottom floor. Drauginas has nothing to do with this quest step.

We're going to work on making some fixes to help minimize the confusion, but try running to the lower floor of the building in the meantime and see if that helps.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Dataririare
    Dataririare
    Soul Shriven
    -
  • strata2
    strata2
    ✭✭✭
    Hey @ZOS_GinaBruno

The problem is that for the quest to progress, the NPC from the top needs to be able to walk down. At any given time (again, I tried logging on at odd hours to see if I could find it relatively empty) there are 20+ people on the top floor immediately killing the NPC, so nothing will happen on the lower level. There could be people doing this on purpose, but I assume many just don't realize this. Unfortunately, with a lot of folks not being in area chat, you can't coordinate at all and it blocks everyone from completing. Also, if anyone AFKs upstairs and the companion attacks the mob, the quest is blocked for everyone else.
  • MeradinUnknown
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Part of the issue appears to be that before you enter the building (even if you leave and fail out to restart), the quest progress tells you to TALK to the Silvenar. Which would lead me to believe the intent is to enter the building, go to the bottom floor and speak with him which then progresses to defending him, but as soon as you approach the building it skips up to 'Defend the Silvenar' with nothing else happening at which point you get stuck with everyone else with the Silvenar not doing anything whether you're on the top or bottom and the NPC getting killed immediately upon spawning by random people.

Looking at this video of the quest being done on PC, what's supposed to happen is you enter the building, kill the NPC (which the quests text reflects) and then it progresses to talking to the Silvenar. When you kill her, a spirit comes out of the crystal behind her and moves down to the Silvenar. Speaking with them then causes him to be surrounded by a purple sphere and this then progresses the quest to Defending him at which point more enemies spawn that you kill.

Based on my hours of standing around in the room, the problem seems to be a result of this spirit not spawning. Because everyone's quests are stuck on 'Defend the Silvenar' the previous steps required to activate that portion of the quest are not functioning. As stated previously, even when running out of the building and away from it to 'fail' the quest it reverts to needing to Talk to him but as soon as you enter again it automatically reverts to defending him with nothing to actually physically progress to that point as killing the NPC does not spawn the spirit by the crystal.
    Edited by MeradinUnknown on June 22, 2015 7:10PM
  • gameslave91
    gameslave91
    Soul Shriven
    @ZOS_GinaBruno the problem starts at "defeat the silvenar's captor" we are suppose to kill the boss at this point but as soon as we get to close to the door to enter or anywhere around the building the quest jumps to "defend the silvenar". If we step far enough away it goes back one step to " talk to the silvenar" and if we relog while far it goes back to "defeat the silvenar's captor". something in that area is forcing the quest to jump 2 steps without having completed anything. Many players are stuck because of this but I know there is some kind of work around because I know a person who has finished the quest. Hope you guys fix this or figure out a way we can get around it.
  • Flint1985
    Flint1985
    Also stuck on this quest. Everytime I go there, the place is full and they kill the enemy the minute it spawns instead of letting it start the mission properly. I don't know how else to get this particular quest done. I have gone forward and completed the quests in the other areas beyond and now back there again
  • Dataririare
    Dataririare
    Soul Shriven
    -
  • Hellbound_Syren
    I believe it's a mixture of a game-based bug (telling us to defend immediately rather than speak with the silvenar first) plus the fact that yes there's typically like 50 people all in the same room.
    We've tried numerous times to organize the random players inside the top floor - trying to ask them to go downstairs first and not attack the NPC who spawns, but to no avail.
    Even if we manage to tell every singer player (both mic-wearing and through text) NOT to attack the NPC Draguais (sp?) the spirit animals instantly AGGRO her so players or spirit animals insta-attack and kill her lol.
    So, you combine a goofy quest bug with dozens of unknowing or trolling gamers, you've got literally hours of torment for those who simply wish to finish the quest and move on.
  • Kylarstern91
    @ZOS_GinaBruno the thing I don't think people at noticing is that we were all at "kill the silvenars captor, and the minute we zone into the room it switches immediately to defend the silvenar. So the quest just skips a step. I'm not sure why it does this but I'd imagine its a bug as since it skips a part it doesn't start the defense part properly as it also skips the talk to the silvenar part. If you leave the room it fails you and reverts you back to talk to the silvenar. But if you walk back in it immediately updates to defend the silvenar.
  • Germal
    Germal
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah played today a little and now on that step, some people in voice said they try since 7 days to complete this quest, and no fix in patch notes from Xbox one. So we can assume this room will even more grow, saw at least 30 people too^^

• TheD3M0N
    TheD3M0N
    Soul Shriven
    I ran into this yesterday night, and it's pretty ridiculous. There had to be 30 people standing around upstairs waiting for this chick to spawn. Several players were TRYING to tell people to back away, but that did no good. the instant she spawned...they completely decimated her.
  • Germal
    Germal
    ✭✭✭
    yeah no text chat :D not all are in voice chat. Besides their are trolls like lvl 50 players who kill the NPC on purpose, scream some racist stuff into their mics, or tune music so loud that coordination wont work :D
    This is realy like a beta test.

• chrystalwhite
    Really guys when is this quest going to be fixxed!!! Pisses me off! Makes me wanna sell the game. Make it solo or something cuz People *** it up all the time.. Now im stuck right here for ages. Ive been here since 5 dasys already. Fix it right now you really had plenty of time to do it. Its known since the Day it came out.
    Aldmeri Dominion, European server.

Aedric spear Templar V1
    Playstation 4
  • MeradinUnknown
    From the looks of it, getting people organized within the room will not fix anything. You actually need to get everyone to LEAVE the building and reset their quest (going to the tree right outside will fail you and revert you to the previous step). According to people that claim to have completed the quest, you must get EVERY single person to leave the building and reset. Then when you go to the building, it won't automatically shoot you forward in the progress (supposedly). Though the likelihood of actually being able to pull that off is pretty low.

The issue seems to be that the quest TECHNICALLY functions properly, but if there are already people in the room on a later step, it automatically jumps you forward so you're in line with their progress, and it some point it put people out of sync with what's actually happening.

As stated earlier, if you log out outside the building it will actually back you all the way up to the step where you DO need to kill her (which would, in theory, get the spirit to spawn), but since there's always someone in the building waiting, walking up to the door immediately skips you ahead to the 'Defend the Silvenar' step.

There's a slim possibility that getting on right after a server reset/maintenance might actually put everything back in sync but I don't know if anyone tried that on the XBone side of things. PS4 one is coming up though but I'm not sure if I'll be up late/early enough for it's completion to test it out.
  • FireflyNeph
    FireflyNeph
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    The issue seems to be that the quest TECHNICALLY functions properly, but if there are already people in the room on a later step, it automatically jumps you forward so you're in line with their progress, and it some point it put people out of sync with what's actually happening.

You hit the problem pretty much exactly. If you notice when doing other quests, if there are other people around and on the same step then you fall in line with them. In those other quests, NPC spawns are much faster, so even if the other person finishes and you didn't get a chance to get a hit in, you quickly have another chance. On this quest, she spawns so infrequently that not only are people missing steps in the quest, but the line for those who need to finish it is growing exponentially with every day this goes unattended to. That does nothing but make it nigh impossible for people to get through and finish the quest.
    PS4 NA
  • Oompuh
    Oompuh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I finished it the other day, I just got lucky and only found 5 people and those 5 people spawned the waves.
    Xbox NA - Oompa
    Khajiit DK Tank
    Founder of Major Aegis
    Main Tank of Dissonant Crusade Uprising Savages
  • zilfandel
    zilfandel
    Soul Shriven
    This is broke as hell and kills a main quest line for many players. Please provide status
  • Pelagius
    Pelagius
    now the quest seems to be broken completely.... the lady doesn't even spawn. I was under the impression this was being patched/fixed last night.... Frustration level: OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    xbox| HaWkMAN2121
    pc| smit2634
    server| NA
  • ITomjefferson
    ITomjefferson
    Soul Shriven
    Can we get this fixed?
  • Dataririare
    Dataririare
    Soul Shriven
    -
  • FireflyNeph
    FireflyNeph
    ✭✭
    @TheJordanJames At least one employee has acknowledged it, as seen higher up on this page in the thread.
    If you're on Defend the Silvenar, you should actually be on the bottom floor. Drauginas has nothing to do with this quest step.

We're going to work on making some fixes to help minimize the confusion, but try running to the lower floor of the building in the meantime and see if that helps.

That is one of her two responses. It is a start, and the best we, as players, can do now that they have seen the thread is move on to other quests and activities until they figure out a solution. These things take time. Yes, it's incredibly frustrating, especially since it is a main quest. However, they know it is a problem, have acknowledged it, and now we have to give them some time to figure out a solid solution that will work for everyone.
    PS4 NA
  • Dataririare
    Dataririare
    Soul Shriven
    -
  • FireflyNeph
    FireflyNeph
    ✭✭
    @TheJordanJames Since it is a main faction quest, going ahead into Reaper's March will not spoil the story. You can still do the side quests and things in there and Coldharbor, as well as heading into Cyrodiil if PvP is your thing. You could also try another character and explore the other factions. There's a lot that you can do! Try not to let one thing ruin a game of hundreds of things :)
    PS4 NA
  • Dataririare
    Dataririare
    Soul Shriven
    -
  • FireflyNeph
    FireflyNeph
    ✭✭
    @TheJordanJames Haha, if only. I enjoy the game an awful lot, and I honestly almost tossed it when I hit the one week mark of banging my head against the wall for this quest. I'm glad I gave it a chance, though, and I hope other people do, too. The quest is just kind of sitting in my inventory at the moment hoping we will get a fix soon. I'm not sure if PC ever got a fix for it, but I don't think they did. I'm sure this was a much lower priority when they were busy getting the console versions ready. Now that they are out and so many people keep making new threads about this that employees are commenting on, it should be much higher on their list. They have stated, though, that they are working on some things for now to make it easier to understand. That is a step in the right direction, but programming is programming and it could be a few weeks at least before we get a small fix, and even longer before we get a full patch. Heh, by then maybe I'll have finished the other two factions and will be ready to come back to the Dominion!
    PS4 NA
  • MeradinUnknown
    Though progressing to other side quests is an option, it's not a great one. Outleveling the main storyline quests only serves to make their rewards minimal and/or completely pointless. I'm lucky enough that the new character I made for the console version hasn't progressed nearly that far, but I've dealt with the issue via my girlfriend hitting this point and getting stuck and me attempting to help resolve the issue.

Even super late at night when I get off work I'll log on for her and check to see if I can't get a workaround going and there's always 20+ people even when relogging and coming back in under a different 'phase' with completely different people. I don't recall this being an issue on the PC version, or at least not a huge one. If there was a hiccup during this quest for me it was something I was able to resolve within a few minutes and move one (hard to remember since I played through the AD stuff within the first month after the initial launch on PC).

The whole situation is frustrating, but I'm hoping the maintenance later on may provide temporary relief for some before it falls out of sync again as I recall that being a quick (albeit temporary) fix for a lot of similar bugs on PC until they got some sort of full fix in place.
  • chrystalwhite
    and the worst part of all is, since its a main quest line. it is a pain to find the other quest in Malabar tor in order to complete the achievement to get the 40 quest. ive done 34 so far now in that area, and cant find anymore of them ive been litteraly everywhere over there. i could have been 50 already if it didnt took so long to find other quests in that area. however im searching my butt of for quests there and still havent found every one of them.

and for some reason i keep checking if i can do that quest but theres always 50 people there.

please just fix this ASAP
    i dont want to play on a other alliance, i want to finish every single quest and exploration achievement on AD firs. i cant do this if you guys dont fix this....

Or at least, just make it solo when you enter that building so nobody can screw things over for other people.
    Aldmeri Dominion, European server.

Aedric spear Templar V1
    Playstation 4