The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

So my subscription has 2 weeks left. Last plea for a better ESO+.

• Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jixjax wrote: »
    The answer is very simple. ESO subscription = value when crown store has enough attractive items for purchase (there aren't enough now) and there's DLC content available.

The solution isn't playing around with bonsues of the subscription. It's making what the subscription gives you (equivalent crown purchases and content access) attractive enough to commit to.

Until then, it's not worth it.

It still doesn't have value because you can buy crowns for the same cost as the subscription.

It only has value if you care about a 10% XP boost.
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is nothing dramatic in unsubbing now. We have clearly seen that sub didn't bring new content. Subs don't guarantee any service level. It is like buying a book or magazine. I can buy a book and read it once or twice. ZOS is behaving now like a magazine publisher who keeps collecting money from subs but stopped making new numbers. In ESO Live a zone lead said it takes about four months to make a new zone. That means they have at least two zones completed after Craglorn but decided to not publish for subscribers. I might buy a DLC when i actually see one. Subs belong to ESO history.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bouvin wrote: »
    The answer is very simple. ESO subscription = value when crown store has enough attractive items for purchase (there aren't enough now) and there's DLC content available.

The solution isn't playing around with bonsues of the subscription. It's making what the subscription gives you (equivalent crown purchases and content access) attractive enough to commit to.

It still doesn't have value because you can buy crowns for the same cost as the subscription.

Actually you can buy crowns for LESS than the sub. For $80 the sub gets you 9000 crowns. You can outright buy 11000 crowns for $80.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slurg wrote: »
    Did you ever stop and think the new sub model isn't meant to be for the long timers

And that is my EXACT point @slurg. Every single player from the long timer to the complete n00b should be able to see the value in the subscription. To design a sub model that doesn't entice every single player is beyond my understanding.
    Edited by Gidorick on May 1, 2015 4:11PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is depressing.

There is a social element, but we don't need the sub for that.
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    Did you ever stop and think the new sub model isn't meant to be for the long timers

And that is my EXACT point @slurg. Every single player from the long timer to the complete n00b should be able to see the value in the subscription. To design a sub model that doesn't entice every single player is beyond my understanding.
    And those of us who do not subscribe will buy the content we want, when we want it. ZOS still gets their money either way. They do not need every single player to sub! Why is that so hard for people to understand?
    Edited by Slurg on May 1, 2015 4:19PM
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And those of us who do not subscribe will buy the content we want, when we want it. ZOS still gets their money either way. They do not need every single player to sub! Why is that so hard for people to understand?

But every single player should be able to at least see the VALUE of the subscription. I don't subscribe to the secret world but I understand why someone one. The ONLY reason I can understand someone subbing to ESO is if they are 100% brand new.

Edited by Gidorick on May 1, 2015 4:25PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat with OP....coming up on end of 2nd 6 month sub. I also plan to cancel my sub. ESO+ offers nothing I view as a great benefit. In fact, the 10% experience bonus is kind of a pain for new toons, since I constantly out-level the content just doing normal questing. I'll still play, but I'll review my options when (if) new content comes out.

The bonus does make things trickier. If you enjoy questing, you end up having to not kill any group bosses (or even exploring their location) and leaving a few quests not turned in to save XP for VR1. Otherwise, you will get to the point of no XP for mobs in your 3rd zone. Would saving dungeons for VR still get you XP for mobs if completing the non-VR version at VR1? I suppose that could be another way to avoid out-leveling zones.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat with OP....coming up on end of 2nd 6 month sub. I also plan to cancel my sub. ESO+ offers nothing I view as a great benefit. In fact, the 10% experience bonus is kind of a pain for new toons, since I constantly out-level the content just doing normal questing. I'll still play, but I'll review my options when (if) new content comes out.

The bonus does make things trickier. If you enjoy questing, you end up having to not kill any group bosses (or even exploring their location) and leaving a few quests not turned in to save XP for VR1. Otherwise, you will get to the point of no XP for mobs in your 3rd zone. Would saving dungeons for VR still get you XP for mobs if completing the non-VR version at VR1? I suppose that could be another way to avoid out-leveling zones.

That's pretty much what I've done.... Prior to the 10% xp bonus.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Lazrael
    Lazrael
    ✭✭✭
    Valymer wrote: »
    What world do you guys live in where you feel the need to financially support a multi-million dollar, for-profit company?

If that is indeed the only reason why many people still pay a sub.

My reason and guess for others is that it's not to support a company explicitly but rather a way of saying I enjoy what they are doing and good products deserve payment but as myself and others have noted the tide feels like it has turned.

Pretty much in agreement there.

Also I was brought up to believe in a simple principle - fair pay for fair work.

I'm not at end-game yet so I guess there is still a lot that is new for me to discover yet, and while that is the case I'll gladly continue to sub. But I can't foresee that I'll feel the same once I am in to the EGG (End-Game-Grind).

All The Best

Oh and it is SUCH A GRIND! Seriously just hit end game content, and I'm just thinking... really?! Why?
    Artists and Theives...
  • c.p.garrett1993_ESO

Agreed. People demanding all kinds of changes to the subscription plan right now are being very short sighted. In a year when the crown store is full and there are multiple DLC packages, it will be of value. Demanding the devs change it right now to make a few people who can't accept that subs aren't neceasary anymore happy for the next couple of months is not the way to go.

"In a year..."
    I don't see how you can justify the concept of paying $15 a month for nothing but the possibility it will be worth it a year down the road. You will still need to pay for it then as well, making no difference if you are subscribed now or not.
    Nice straw man argument. I don't justify it right now and you know that. I posted that before. Everyone who doesn't like what's in the sub right now should cancel. Subs are not mandatory and ZOS is no longer basing their entire income on having one. They made it optional for a reason.

Did you ever stop and think the new sub model isn't meant to be for the long timers who can buy DLC as they go? It'll be much more attractive to the new console audience coming in late after several DLC packs are introduced, who don't want to drop $100 up front on the DLC after just buying the game.

Am I supposed to keep track of who you are and what you post? I must have missed that memo.
    All I am saying is the subscription is a steady method of income to the company. They want people to subscribe and/ or buy crowns. They are a business and they need to make money.
    Making a subscription method that is only beneficial to new players a year down the road is illogical.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. People demanding all kinds of changes to the subscription plan right now are being very short sighted. In a year when the crown store is full and there are multiple DLC packages, it will be of value. Demanding the devs change it right now to make a few people who can't accept that subs aren't neceasary anymore happy for the next couple of months is not the way to go.

"In a year..."
    I don't see how you can justify the concept of paying $15 a month for nothing but the possibility it will be worth it a year down the road. You will still need to pay for it then as well, making no difference if you are subscribed now or not.
    Nice straw man argument. I don't justify it right now and you know that. I posted that before. Everyone who doesn't like what's in the sub right now should cancel. Subs are not mandatory and ZOS is no longer basing their entire income on having one. They made it optional for a reason.

Did you ever stop and think the new sub model isn't meant to be for the long timers who can buy DLC as they go? It'll be much more attractive to the new console audience coming in late after several DLC packs are introduced, who don't want to drop $100 up front on the DLC after just buying the game.

Am I supposed to keep track of who you are and what you post? I must have missed that memo.
    All I am saying is the subscription is a steady method of income to the company. They want people to subscribe and/ or buy crowns. They are a business and they need to make money.
    Making a subscription method that is only beneficial to new players a year down the road is illogical.

Ding. Exactly.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still looking for a reason to stay subscribed too @Gidorick . I don't see it yet. Do you?
  • nastuug
    nastuug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ysne58 wrote: »
    I'm still looking for a reason to stay subscribed too @Gidorick . I don't see it yet. Do you?

@Gidorick

db7c2953fc799d22ab4a4766fe6ffa009062a02fe994c871178db192208a745c.jpg
    Edited by nastuug on May 1, 2015 5:00PM
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have one question. If the game was still P2P, would the OP continue to pay a sub? If so, well, now you can do all you would have done with that P2P sub for free. I don't understand how mentioning WoW or FF is irrelevant. Either you like the game or don't. It sounds like you are upset that paying a sub is optional instead of mandatory.

Choose to pay the sub based on whether it adds enough value to be worth it.

Play the game based on whether you enjoy it.

Two different issues. (Well, not strictly true since you won't pay a sub if you aren't going to play the game)
    Edited by DaveMoeDee on May 1, 2015 5:26PM
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually you can buy crowns for LESS than the sub. For $80 the sub gets you 9000 crowns. You can outright buy 11000 crowns for $80.

^^^This

Let's just hope DLC doesn't cost 8k crowns.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

^^^This

Let's just hope DLC doesn't cost 8k crowns.

The only time a sub makes sense in my opinion is if I want to give the DLC a test run for one month. If Craglorn was DLC, I would have played that one month with a sub and then ended my sub without buying the DLC. Admittedly, Craglorn is a bit different since it is where you turn in the highest level crafting writs, which I do daily for provisioning. I am ignoring that detail in my point with the assumption that we will not see anything similar in DLC areas.

Even if there were crafting writ dropoffs in those zones, I could just accept that I will not make money off of highest level recipes from provisioning writs. Not a big loss. If they have new mats, I can just buy the mats from a guild store when needed.
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

But every single player should be able to at least see the VALUE of the subscription. I don't subscribe to the secret world but I understand why someone one. The ONLY reason I can understand someone subbing to ESO is if they are 100% brand new.
    OK then you can ignore all the people who are in it for the crowns or like the bonuses for their alts. The main point is, this company made this decision that they don't need every single person to subscribe now because they are diversifying the ways people can pay. Some of us accept this. Some people are kicking and screaming and stirring up drama demanding the company change their business model because they insist on paying. That is not sound.

Nothing new is being released right now. That makes a lot of people unhappy. But can''t people at least be content they get to still enjoy the game without paying for a little while during this transition period?
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • Kupoking
    Kupoking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same boat as you OP.

Even without the 10% EXP bonus I still get 2-3 CP per day only pvping.

As of Crowns each month, I never used the crowns I have so far.

Waiting to see if i'ts going to be worth it to sub for DLCs or just buying them off crowns. Probably won't sub for the first DLC, depending on what it is (if its only a PvE vet dungeon or an extention of justice system, I'll most likely pass). Seems I might have to sub to get access to the new sets ZoS wants to implement. I might have to spend some $ on this if I want to stay competitive in PvP.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But can''t people at least be content they get to still enjoy the game without paying for a little while during this transition period?

tyTc1Nl.jpg

I don't want to feel like I shouldn't be paying. If.... er... When I unsubscribe I will be happy that I can still play, sure. I'm saying ZOS should make it so that I don't feel like should subscribe.

I'll feel foolish if I continue to subscribe. I'll feel like I'm wasting money.... The subscription should NEVER feel like a waste of money. THAT'S the point. Not that I'm unhappy that I can play without a subscription. I'm unhappy that the subscription doesn't have enough value.
    Edited by Gidorick on May 1, 2015 5:55PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EQBallzz wrote: »
    Well in theory you would stay subbed as long as you wanted to keep playing and any DLC that comes out you would have access to without having to purchase it from the P2W shop (plus you get the other bonuses). If you quit..you don't continue to have access to DLC but you quit so no reason to buy it. In practice, this isn't working out that way because there is no content that a sub gives access to (which is the point of the thread)!

You have to look further out than the immediate satisfaction over the next few weeks. If DLC is all that is important, there will be DLC content coming. When that comes out, a decision needs to be made between ESO Plus or discrete DLC purchases, or both. There is plenty of time to make that decision. I do not expect DLC announcements sooner than console release.

I can certainly see why someone who wants DLC, and that is all they are really interested in buying, would pooh pooh ESO Plus at this time. I have ESO Plus but I am looking for more than just DLC, although DLC is the primary reason I am currently subscribed. It is not worth my time or my money to try to optimize what I spend on ESO, given that the DLC pricing is not known. The best course of action, for me, is to subscribe now, take advantage of the +10% XP bonus, and bank the Crowns until I know more.

I have no interest in priority Cyrodiil queues, having never been in one because Blackwater Blade is not that full. I am not interested in additional character slots, additional bank slots, special ESO Plus member-only areas, and definitely not special armor or weapons. I would take a pet, but aside from that, the +10% and Crowns are enough.

NOTE: They should consider a boost to the monthly Crowns, from 1500 to 1800.

There is a value to the ESO Plus. I certainly see it and I am currently subscribed.

1. I get +10% for leveling my characters. I have no max level characters and no max level crafters. I set aside my highest level character at 50 to level up several alts instead of focusing on getting one character to max. I am all about the journey, not the destination. It took me 2 years in WoW to get my first max level character, about half that to get my second, and now I am back to 1 max level character. A lot of people do have max level characters, but a lot of people do not. Those who do not are not necessarily brand new.
    2. A recurring 6 month subscription gets me 1500 Crowns cheaper than what they cost in the store. It is true that I can get more Crowns from the store for less, per Crown, but I have to go to the store to get those Crowns. That means dealing with credit card numbers, payments, and all that. It takes time. The subscription drops them in my account directly and I don't have to do anything but pay my credit card bill.
    3. I do not have to think about DLC, which DLC to buy, how much they cost, and whether I need to pick up more Crowns. I will likely end up buying them all, but I will still have to consider whether each one is worth it. With ESO Plus, whenever they drop a DLC, it will be right there the first time I log in. DLCs are hassle free for subscribers.

If DLC end up being too cheap, ESO Plus loses value and I may take the Crowns from my subscription and buy DLC directly and drop the subscription. They could also do some stupid exclusive deal where I do not get my DLC right away because I am on PC. That would also make me question a subscription, as it has already made me angry enough to not buy from BGS/BethSoft future TES and Fallout games.

Edited by Elsonso on May 1, 2015 5:58PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No @Ysne58... I really don't. oh well. I'm in the depression stage of grief. :disappointed:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• PainfulFAFA
    PainfulFAFA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought the 6 month subscription twice and now I have 2 weeks left and I still want to subscribe but I'm having a really hard time justifying it.

The 10% bonuses really don't interest me and it makes more sense to buy the $40 pack of crowns whenever I need 'em.

I made a thread with suggestions a while ago HERE. It had all sorts of suggestions that included mechanics and features that are not yet part of ESO. The ones that I think are vital to a subscription, and are reasonable to ask for, are:
    • Crown Store discount
    • Additional Character slots
    • Priority Queuing in Cyrodiil
    • Greater Character Deletion Limit

I've actually given up the crusade to get DLC as loyalty bonuses but it would still be nice, as would be some of the other suggestions in my thread, such as monthly treasure maps and early access to Crown Store items.

I feel I need to clarify that I would not use the additional Character Slots (I only play 3) I do not regularly delete characters, and I don't play in Cyrodiil (yet?). The $15 a month is negligible to me. These additional benefits would keep me subbed out of principle. It would make me feel like subscribers are getting something for their money. Especially the Crown Store Discount.

If I'm not spending $15 a month on ESO I WILL just spend the $15 a month on another game. I never did play WOW. I've been thinking of trying FFXI again, or maybe FFXIV.

The point is I WANT to pay the subscription, but I just can't justify it with the current ESO+ benefits. If I don't pay ESO's sub... I'll pay another's. If I pay another's, I'm playing THAT game and not ESO. If I'm playing that game, how can I be in Tamriel buying stuff from the Crown Store.

I would still play ESO because I care about Tamriel. I care about the lore. I have grown up with The Elder Scrolls. It's a part of who I am. Those other games are not.

So, with 2 weeks left of my subscription, I again feel the need to plead with ZOS. I want to give you my money... I just don't want it to feel like charity.
    fteDGXc.png?1

I was also debating the whether I should keep subbing but this is what I thought. At the time, my last toon was v12 and the only thing keeping me subbed was the extra 10% exp bonus. Once i got to v14 i stopped since i have all the classes i want up to max level. The 10% bonus exp wasnt really needed anymore and the only thing that i was going to benefit from subbing was the extra crowns at the end of the month really.

15$ for 1500 crowns a month was basically what i was going to sub for so I stopped subbing as soon as i reached v14 on all toons. Maybe later ZOS will do something to make us want crowns but as it is now, i don't see anything enticing in the crown store except visual changing things such as pets, mounts, and costumes. I still havent bought anything from the store since it released though.
    Edited by PainfulFAFA on May 1, 2015 6:02PM
    PC NA
    Aztec | AZTEC | Ahztec | Aztehk | Master of Mnem
    MagDK | Magplar | Magward | Mageblade | Stamsorc

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That little extra effort to buy crowns @lordrichter will get a player an extra 2,000 crowns every six months... that's significant.

Now, I will say this. I have yet to play without the 10% bonuses, so my feelings on their value may change later once I play without them.

Right now, I just can't justify spending money on a sub. I can't see the value in it. It's nice that you can, but I just can't.

Crowns are cheaper in packs.
    I don't think I'll even notice the 10% bonus
    when DLC comes in 4 or 5 months I can sub for 1 month for $15 and have the exact same access as you. And you will have paid $75 more than me at that point.

If they boosted the month crowns to 1800... I'd probably stay subbed

Edited by Gidorick on May 1, 2015 6:18PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    But can''t people at least be content they get to still enjoy the game without paying for a little while during this transition period?

tyTc1Nl.jpg

I don't want to feel like I shouldn't be paying. If.... er... When I unsubscribe I will be happy that I can still play, sure. I'm saying ZOS should make it so that I don't feel like should subscribe.

I'll feel foolish if I continue to subscribe. I'll feel like I'm wasting money.... The subscription should NEVER feel like a waste of money. THAT'S the point. Not that I'm unhappy that I can play without a subscription. I'm unhappy that the subscription doesn't have enough value.

I don't think they should make business decisions based on your very peculiar feelings. What is most odd about your position is that you make allusions to leaving the game for WoW or FF due to that lack of value of the subscription, all the while not expressing that you don't want to play ESO. The logic feels tortured to me. Either you enjoy the game or you don't. If you don't, go play another MMO, if that is what you want to do. If you do enjoy the game, congratulations. You can now play it and fully enjoy it without paying for a sub. Don't waste your money. It seemed obvious to me that a sub was wasted money once they went B2P without releasing any additional DLC because I had no interest in what they were offering in the sub.

If a change in the business model doesn't change your in-game experience, why focus on the business model?
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK then you can ignore all the people who are in it for the crowns or like the bonuses for their alts.

But the thing it, it's actually cheaper to buy crowns outright.

So the only thing the + membership gives at the current time is the 10% boost.
    Edited by Bouvin on May 1, 2015 6:37PM
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

^^Exactly.

The value of subscribing should be PERCEIVED as being equal to or greater than the cost of not subscribing.

But for most people that perception isn't adding up.

And the sad part is there are a ton of ways ZoS could make the PERCEPTION of subscribing feel valuable.

The biggest request has been Priority PvP Queue for Subscribers (which makes total sense). But of course, in total ZoS fashion they remain totally silent about a good piece of feedback.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK then you can ignore all the people who are in it for the crowns or like the bonuses for their alts.

But the thing it, it's actually cheaper to buy crowns outright.

So the only thing the + membership gives at the current time is the 10% boost.

I'm really curious how many XP pots the extra 2000 crowns will be able to buy....
    Edited by Gidorick on May 1, 2015 6:50PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO in Summary:

• Business Model: failure (restructuring and still incomplete without proper marketing for crown store)
    • Megasever "Goldie lox population" in PvE Zones: failure (most zones are complete ghost towns)
    • Large Scale PvP "200 players on screen": failure (severe lag, with reworks still in progress)
    • "We're making something of value and expect to be well compensated": failure (low quality product with matching low revenue)
    • Four to Six Week Content Model: failure (actually is 4 to 6 months)

There is literally nothing ESO does better than anything that has come before it, and ZOS has failed on all points it marketed itself on. Subscription to ZOS is a charitable donation to support the continued On the Job Training of ametour game developers and designers. I support indie games for that reason, and I find the only difference between them and ZOS is that the indie studios I support aren't under any delusions of what they are or are not capable of achieving. I sink money into kick starter, support promising early access games, and do a good amount of research into the people behind the games.

Sub perks won't help. Who pays for something they get for free? Better yet, who pays MORE for something than they can get for less (buy crowns in bulk vs buying a sub)? It's just plain thoughtless " shoot from the hip" game development, and it's a total embarrassment.

{disclaimer: I want ESO+ to be better, but that requires ESO itself to be better, and ZOS has fallen short of achieving that consistently. I only give them hell because I am a TES fan, and it's an IP I can not turn away from.}
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to use another game that did somewhat of the same thing as an example. Please remember I'm not suggesting this be done to THIS game, but I'm merely pondering and going "what if?" with this post.

Fair warning, it's long-ish.

So, there was a sub only MMO back in the day called City of Heroes. For many years, it stayed subscription based, until one day...the announcement came down the pipes that the developers and publishing company were taking away the NEED to pay a sub to play the game. They called it the "Freemium" model, in which you could play the base game totally free, but to experience the higher level content, one had to keep or get a subscription.

Basically, the levels were 1 through 50. Max level. Anything in those level ranges you got for free. Some options like costume pieces were put behind sub or made into cash shop purchases with the caveat being if you had already earned it through normal game play, you got to keep it. Anything new required purchasing, though.

Then we get to what you got when you subbed up.....the higher level content. There was an "Incarnate System" that was added as a means to rise above the level cap...much in the same way VR level content in this game is supposed to be above the level cap.

They also gated being able to enhance your character with the special invention enhancements behind a sub. Invention enhancements were...well, it's hard to explain. The game was balanced behind the enhancements that were in the game at the start. The ENTIRE game, even the plus-level-cap content could be run by someone who only used what could be purchased from a vendor, so the invention enhancements totally were not necessary. I know this to have been true, for I tested it out. Made a character, leveled it up using only what could be purchased through the ingame vendors and did every last shred of content. Challenging, moreso than any character that I used invention enhancements on to be sure...but it was entirely possible.

Now we get to the "what if" part.

What if Zenimax made it so that VR content required a subscription to be able to play? Perhaps also gating purple and gold enchantments behind a sub too? NOT GEAR, heavens no....but enchantments only. Would that make the sub "worth it"?
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.