Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

ZOS, Massive Spike in Ping/LAG in Recent Days - What Gives?

• Xandreia_
    Xandreia_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello, I am back - 4 simultaneous crashes in Rockgrove today.
    n74pzmwps0o8.png

6 out of 12 in my mind mender core got dc'd too :/
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran some dungeons this afternoon (US time) on EU (so, this is EU primetime), and everything was fine.

Then immediately after, I ran dungeons on NA (this is not NA primetime) and there were frequent lag spikes, where everything stops moving for a couple of seconds and then catches up. And a few times, it was longer, like 10s.

This evening, same thing: EU was smooth and NA was lagging even in the overland.

These observations tell me a few things:
    1. It is probably not related to load or the event, since EU was fine during primetime and NA was not during off-hours
    2. This is probably not a server issue, since if it was a server issue, you'd expect everyone to be affected, not just a significant subset.

So the most likely culprit then is routing. If you imagine the Internet as a road network, there are multiple routes that you can take to get from your location to the servers, except some of these roads have problems--construction, crashed cars, damage to the road, etc., and it seems that some (but not all) of the routes reaching the servers have problems. This explains why some people are fine and some people are not, because some people are not on the bad routes.

So this evening, I tried to change the route that I take, and I did this by using a gaming VPN (I prefer Mudfish since it's pay-for-traffic not pay-for-time, and ESO's actual traffic is very light) and I set the node to Dallas (that's where ESO's servers are located), and I had a perfectly smooth dungeon session with zero problems. Before turning on the VPN, I was lagging so much that even just picking up the pledges was a struggle.

So this seems to support my guess that this is not a server issue but a routing issue somewhere between you and servers. And if you have the means to change your route (usually through a VPN, since you're essentially routing your connection through the VPN provider), it may provide a solution. And if it was a routing issue, then the problem is happening somewhere between you and the servers, and it's likely that ZOS doesn't have much if any control over this.

Nitpicker's Corner: A "crash" is if the game client unexpectedly closes. If you are disconnected or booted, that's not a crash. That's a "disconnect".
    Edited by code65536 on 19 September 2024 03:48
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • SaintJohnHM
    SaintJohnHM
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Destai wrote: »
    I can't give them benefit of the doubt here.

For one, a lot of us have given very concrete examples of how to improve the comms, especially during situations like this, and I never, ever see a response to those suggestions. I'm genuinely curious what @ZOS_Kevin thinks when he sees posts like this. Like are comments like this not taken seriously? A lot of us are saying, we need more information, context, framing, etc. and it's just not being given.

It's not the first issue where this has happened either. So in theory, they'd have feedback to go off and better style their communications. I just don't see that happening. That makes me feel, and probably others, like it's a matter of "won't" and not "can't" change their communications style.

For two, if they were just testing things, and for whatever reason the literal forum manager can't find time to post that, fine, I'd expect some views on the videos. I don't think that's the case, or wasn't the case for a little while, so I'm not confident they're currently working on it. Again, all of these questions and ambiguities could be cleared up with the format folks like you and I have provided.

I want to follow up on this as while I understand this is frustrating, I want to clear up the notion that we do not care or are ignoring this. If we didn't want to deal with it, we would have closed the thread a long time ago. We know this is important and want to make sure that if there is information to share, that it is accurate.

To answer your question directly, what I think every time is I wish I had more info to share, because I know this has been a frustrating issue for months.

At the end of the day, with this situation in particular, this isn't something that we are trying to brush aside or don't want to talk about. If we could provide you with a detailed solution right here, right now, we would. Since my last few posts, the status of this issue has not changed. We have engineers checking new information as it comes up during the investigation, but nothing successful yet. We have also been passing along your updates and theories in hopes they will aid the investigation as well. This is all information we have provided before. So we literally do not have additional information to give. And we cannot give an update on information that we do not have.

As I noted the last time, we are following up internally to get an overall update to provide, but we are in the process of doing that now. Again, we know this is frustrating and we appreciate everyone bearing through this.

I'm sure it's frustrating for you too, it's not like it's your fault. But please understand our side, when such a serious problem persists for so long and the updates are not often, we're going to feel ignored and the displeasure increases and we feel like we're wasting our money. This isn't a minor issue.
    • Casual Roleplaying PVE player PC/NA
    • Tank CP2400 'Sugar-Flame'
    • I've completed all the dungeon trifectas. Godslayer, Gryphon Heart, Immortal Redeemer, Tick Tock Tormentor, and I'm looking for nice folks to complete more trial achieves with.
    • I make music: http://www.moonghostband.com.
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on PS5 NA and have been seeing regular delayed audio every day I've been on regardless of the time of day. I don't know why but it seems to be the most noticeable when playing on my Arcanist and when running grouped content like Dungeons. The sound just completely lags or cuts out briefly every so often when in combat or looting items and then happens all at once a couple seconds later. I just started noticing it around the time the Gold Road update was put out on console.
    Edited by Twohothardware on 19 September 2024 15:15
  • cwloop2010_ESO
    Hello Zos team and developers. Over the years I've really appreciated the content created on making this game fun. I recall being in beta and when the game first was launched. It was difficult to enjoy as it lacked tools such as dungeon finder, guild finder, etc... You have done a lot to expand this game and I love seeing the development of Elder Scrolls going from a single player game to a multiplayer game. I say that because you've all had challenges but listening to the community you've made strives in overcoming them and growing into this very fun, social, and creative game. Thank you.

With all of that hard work done, I would think you'd want to ensure that lag and server issues are quickly addressed. After all, if players are frustrated by the accessibility of the game, unreliability, etc... then it doesn't matter how great everything functions because it'll be overshadowed by players not being able to move properly.

Frustration results in broken keyboards (let's be honest), tempers, and people eventually giving up on the game. One person snowballs into two, into three, and so forth. When friends leave, the social aspect of the game crumbles. Eventually people question why they play.

Every concern should be addressed in how players are feeling about this lag issue, because for every one voice, a player has several friends with the same problem. If a gaming group losses too many people, eventually the whole group goes. That results in a dead game.

ESO is too great of a game, you've all helped make it that way. Please address the concerns of this server and lag issue otherwise I fear what is in store for the future, and your DLCs won't matter in comparison.
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCNA

Entire raid group simultaneously lagging and getting booted from server in trials. Lagging in dungeons too but nowhere near as bad as trials.

Lagging and getting booted from server doing solo overland things like daily crafting writs, using guild banks and traders.

It seems like every recent patcher update causes more lag.
  • runa_gate
    runa_gate
    ✭✭✭✭
    4 second freezes in IA tonight interspersed with no issues at all
    Ran a 50-connection latency test while running eso and several videos to test, 4.2 MOS, 48 ms ping until ESO servers act up
  • KaironBlackbard
    KaironBlackbard
    ✭✭✭
    LadyGP wrote: »
    Logos wrote: »

For one, a lot of us have given very concrete examples of how to improve the comms, especially during situations like this, and I never, ever see a response to those suggestions. I'm genuinely curious what @ZOS_Kevin thinks when he sees posts like this. Like are comments like this not taken seriously? A lot of us are saying, we need more information, context, framing, etc. and it's just not being given.

It's not the first issue where this has happened either. So in theory, they'd have feedback to go off and better style their communications. I just don't see that happening. That makes me feel, and probably others, like it's a matter of "won't" and not "can't" change their communications style.

For two, if they were just testing things, and for whatever reason the literal forum manager can't find time to post that, fine, I'd expect some views on the videos. I don't think that's the case, or wasn't the case for a little while, so I'm not confident they're currently working on it. Again, all of these questions and ambiguities could be cleared up with the format folks like you and I have provided.

I want to follow up on this as while I understand this is frustrating, I want to clear up the notion that we do not care or are ignoring this. If we didn't want to deal with it, we would have closed the thread a long time ago. We know this is important and want to make sure that if there is information to share, that it is accurate.

To answer your question directly, what I think every time is I wish I had more info to share, because I know this has been a frustrating issue for months.

At the end of the day, with this situation in particular, this isn't something that we are trying to brush aside or don't want to talk about. If we could provide you with a detailed solution right here, right now, we would. Since my last few posts, the status of this issue has not changed. We have engineers checking new information as it comes up during the investigation, but nothing successful yet. We have also been passing along your updates and theories in hopes they will aid the investigation as well. This is all information we have provided before. So we literally do not have additional information to give. And we cannot give an update on information that we do not have.

As I noted the last time, we are following up internally to get an overall update to provide, but we are in the process of doing that now. Again, we know this is frustrating and we appreciate everyone bearing through this.

I came here to see why this hasn't been being addressed for months now and was pleasantly surprised to see this. Genuinely appreciate the engagement even though I know it's frustrating for you as well. Every time I come back to the game though it's as if nothing has been done to improve performance, even though it was supposedly made a priority a couple years back.

I've spent the last couple days getting my account/storage ready to cancel my ESO+ (first time I'll play without it) because the lag is too bad to play outside of the times I do stuff with friends, and sometimes that is cut short from the lag as well. For a game with a subscription model, paid chapters, an in-game store, and loot boxes, I think it can be (at least for me) quite frustrating to feel like this has just always been an issue (true or not, it's been an issue enough for long enough that it feels that way) and makes it feel like it's not a priority.

I have videos of my issues as of late, and it's only with this game. Stability tests and traces show a stable connection on my side. Oddly (and this may be a coincidence) the issue seems to be lessened with my VPN on.

This, using a VPN and hopping around does make it slightly better - which it shouldn't considering my speeds go from 850mbs down to 100 mbs on vpn.

That mean's it's not really ZOS's fault, but somewhere in between. Perhaps the hosting platform? Perhaps the unified spot everyone's data stream is going through that can't handle it all? Don't have to have the same ISP to be run through the same spot. Perhaps the VPN manages to skip a few, granting better internet, or VPN sends your connection to a far away place giving you 100 ping, but the servers there are more stable, and thus not 899 ping? (Lower ping is better ping) Then again, if it's the latter, could just be your local ZOS servers, and wherever your VPN sends the connection to has stable ZOS servers. Or something. In which case would still be a ZOS issue.
    Which begs the question:
    Where do you all live at? What state?
    NW Florida seems to have been resolved.
    Edited by KaironBlackbard on 19 September 2024 12:07
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh my gosh, and lag even in simply trying to loot the final boss. I have experienced this twice now in vKA and again in a few dungeons, where I interact with the dead final boss, get the loot window open, and it won't let me collect. I freak out, close window, roll dodge, try again, it opens, won't collect. Then about 5-6 seconds later, suddenly the loot gets collected.

Just MAJOR lag delays consistently for certain inputs. It's nuts.
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think location matters as much as service provider.

Disclaimer: I have no idea how things are actually set up for ESO. What I write below is a generalized description of how something could go wrong with a generic online service. Whether or not it's applicable to ESO is something that I cannot comment on. But I think it's plausible that something similar to this could be happening.

Datacenters are often served by multiple ISPs. So let's say the datacenter hosting an online service is linked to the world via ISPs, A, B, and C, each handling about a third of the traffic. Now imagine if there's a problem with ISP A. It could be fairly local--maybe a problem with the ISP A's network in that part of town or even as local as ISP A's connection to the datacenter. Then all the traffic that arrives at the datacenter via ISP A will run into problems, while the other data going through B and C will be fine.
    • If the problem was instead at the ISP of the user, then you would expect that user to encounter problems with a wide variety of services, rather than just that specific service. And if the problem was not localized, but rather with one of the many backbones conducting traffic from one end of the country to the other, then you'd expect there to be widespread problems with many users and many services. But if the problem is with some users and one service, then it's much more likely that the problem is located near the endpoint.

Okay, but how do you determine if your traffic is going to the datacenter via ISP A, B, or C? This is usually not a geographic question, since you're delivering traffic to the same geographic location, but rather a network question. You as the end-user might be served by cable ISP X, who is connected to network M, who then connects to ISP A. Someone else living across the street from you might be using fiber ISP Y, which then connects to network N, who then connects to ISP B. So you could have two people living in the same town taking different routes to get to the destination, and these routes are usually not determined by geography, but by the connections and peering agreements between ISPs.
    • Back when I had family in the same town using a different ISP, it was actually quite rare for us to both have connection issues to a specific service; either they'd have a problem and I'd be fine or I'd have a problem and they'd be fine, because our ISPs take very different routes to get to the same destination. But now that they switched to the same ISP as me, we generally have the same problems at the same time.
    • Note that it is possible for your ISP X to deliver traffic to the datacenter via ISP B, e.g., if your ISP X connects to network M which then connects to network N and then to ISP B. But that requires what amounts to a "detour", and while such a detour is possible (and networks are designed to automatically use such detours when necessary), it's usually not taken unless there is very serious problem (like ISP A's link going down entirely).

So how does a VPN help? If you use a VPN, then your ISP X connects to network M, which then connects to VPN V who then connects to network N and on to ISP B. Well, you don't know that the VPN will connect to ISP B. Maybe it'll end up reaching the datacenter via A as well! Which is why a lot of gaming VPN services give you choices for which node to use. One of them is bound to not end up with ISP A, and you just gotta pick one, see if it works, and if it doesn't pick another.

One final note: website access, video streaming, and file downloads are all bad ways to judge how good your connection is. Why? Because these are not real-time services. If you're downloading a file and it pauses for 2 seconds, you would almost certainly not notice (esp. since browsers smooth out their reported download speeds by reporting the speed averaged over the past X seconds rather than the speed at that very instant). Video streaming is buffered specifically to cover up momentary network blips, and you will notice problems only if the network hitches are long and frequent enough to deplete that buffer. But for real-time services like a game or voice calls, a 2-second hitch is painfully noticeable.
    Edited by code65536 on 19 September 2024 13:24
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trying to add a few things to my store and it is impossible. Why? Welp direct your eyes to the arrow on the bottom left of the screenshot. Nothing else to say. :(

PC NA West Weald

tUL9rSh.png?1
    Edited by Seravi on 19 September 2024 14:40
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    Logos wrote: »

I came here to see why this hasn't been being addressed for months now and was pleasantly surprised to see this. Genuinely appreciate the engagement even though I know it's frustrating for you as well. Every time I come back to the game though it's as if nothing has been done to improve performance, even though it was supposedly made a priority a couple years back.

I've spent the last couple days getting my account/storage ready to cancel my ESO+ (first time I'll play without it) because the lag is too bad to play outside of the times I do stuff with friends, and sometimes that is cut short from the lag as well. For a game with a subscription model, paid chapters, an in-game store, and loot boxes, I think it can be (at least for me) quite frustrating to feel like this has just always been an issue (true or not, it's been an issue enough for long enough that it feels that way) and makes it feel like it's not a priority.

I have videos of my issues as of late, and it's only with this game. Stability tests and traces show a stable connection on my side. Oddly (and this may be a coincidence) the issue seems to be lessened with my VPN on.

This, using a VPN and hopping around does make it slightly better - which it shouldn't considering my speeds go from 850mbs down to 100 mbs on vpn.

That mean's it's not really ZOS's fault, but somewhere in between. Perhaps the hosting platform? Perhaps the unified spot everyone's data stream is going through that can't handle it all? Don't have to have the same ISP to be run through the same spot. Perhaps the VPN manages to skip a few, granting better internet, or VPN sends your connection to a far away place giving you 100 ping, but the servers there are more stable, and thus not 899 ping? (Lower ping is better ping) Then again, if it's the latter, could just be your local ZOS servers, and wherever your VPN sends the connection to has stable ZOS servers. Or something. In which case would still be a ZOS issue.
    Which begs the question:

The route being the issue, mainly due to going through akamia, has been mentioned as a cause about 500 times in this thread. Taking out the day to day noise and random increase in lag complains (DDoS attacks) the common thing is always the route.

Something is happening for select regions that go through akamia.
    It's a ZOS issue... not a pc hardware issue.

- AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core Processor 4.20 GHz
    - 64 GB RAM
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

So how does a VPN help? If you use a VPN, then your ISP X connects to network M, which then connects to VPN V who then connects to network N and on to ISP B. Well, you don't know that the VPN will connect to ISP B. Maybe it'll end up reaching the datacenter via A as well! Which is why a lot of gaming VPN services give you choices for which node to use. One of them is bound to not end up with ISP A, and you just gotta pick one, see if it works, and if it doesn't pick another.

This.

It's common for me to have to jump around and monitor the route in real time via pingplotter. The only time I have no lag is when I was able to find a route that wasn't going through akamia (which I haven't been able to do in some time so I think ZoS made some changes on the back end.

For example - going to a node in Texas never improved my performance even though that is where the data center is. Going to Canada fixed it for a week, jumping to Seattle fixed it for a day or so, but now it doesn't seem to matter where I select.

- 64 GB RAM
  • baconaura
    baconaura
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin

Something definitely happened during the maintenance patch this monday that exacerbated the disconnect and rubberbanding lag. The undaunted event were already underway, and for the most part was fine on the weekend. But starting monday, disconnects and rubberbanding and lag spikes nonstop.

Whatever was in the update that was pushed to the clients on monday should be rolledback, because its like almost a week of degraded performance.

This is a 4man random normal dungeon today. have like 200+fps and my ping is 60-90ms, but still nothing happens, and everything catches up.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PI7eTfTInDyvo4hwv5bqZifUArr1VEFs/view?usp=drive_link

• LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    baconaura wrote: »
    @ZOS_Kevin

Something definitely happened during the maintenance patch this monday that exacerbated the disconnect and rubberbanding lag. The undaunted event were already underway, and for the most part was fine on the weekend. But starting monday, disconnects and rubberbanding and lag spikes nonstop.

Whatever was in the update that was pushed to the clients on monday should be rolledback, because its like almost a week of degraded performance.

This is a 4man random normal dungeon today. have like 200+fps and my ping is 60-90ms, but still nothing happens, and everything catches up.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PI7eTfTInDyvo4hwv5bqZifUArr1VEFs/view?usp=drive_link

Well bummer... I recorded about 10 clips last night but none of them saved (I forgot to turn screen capture on RIP).

Clips last night would have shown the following:
    - 10-15 seconds duration of the "pause" followed by hyper speed until everything "caught up"
    - happened on average every 5 minutes
    - happened in pve and pvp

Above clip saved as a gif for those that want to view in this thread directly.

n0rqyywe9656.gif

@ZOS_Kevin IMO this is quickly approaching an all hands on deck situation. (it's been there for a while I just don't think ZoS realized how truly widespread this issue is until recently.)

- 64 GB RAM
  • ichibe
    ichibe
    ✭✭

Have you tried using some air duster on the cooling fans?
  • xosaara137ox
    xosaara137ox
    ✭✭✭
    Really bad this week for me, too (Xbox NA)

10-15 seconds of lag before everything catches up, just like others have said. It’s very noticeable for undaunted activities - I had seen it previously, last week there were a few instances, but it was occasional; it’s happening often now. :(

Within the last hour I also loaded into Grahtwood with no NPCs or people and could walk around for 30 seconds or so before I black screened and was disconnected.
  • tronco01
    tronco01
    Thanks @LadyGP ! That gif shows exactly what I am experiencing playing ESO lately. Not sure what is the issue but hope ZOS can fix it soon. I am also experiencing audio lags constantly, not sure if that is also what you are experiencing.
  • Katzenzunge
    Katzenzunge
    ✭✭✭
    Still having issues on PC EU.
    Admittedly not as bad as they have been, but still. Getting kicked out of dungeons, doing overland ish, porting somewhere etc.
    Today's trials with my guild, so I'm really looking forward to see how many times I'll get disconnected for no reason. The team loves it when they have to wait for one of the healers in random intervals through the night.

/s

/S
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    tronco01 wrote: »
    Thanks @LadyGP ! That gif shows exactly what I am experiencing playing ESO lately. Not sure what is the issue but hope ZOS can fix it soon. I am also experiencing audio lags constantly, not sure if that is also what you are experiencing.

I've had audio lag as well but mainly in cyro. I started just turning the game down and listening to music. This is something I could live with cause I could still play through it but the rubber banding is literally game breaking.

- 64 GB RAM
  • Astiron
    Astiron
    ✭✭✭
    Been having issues with input lag, and just got kicked from the server after quests wouldn't update. PC NA
  • AngryPenguin
    AngryPenguin
    ✭✭✭
    Today has been the worst performance I have ever seen in ESO and I've been playing since 2015. I'm mostly in Cyrodiil where performance is always worse, but it's the same for any group activity now. Now days the hardest fight players have is staying in game without disconnecting. We just push a bunch of buttons and hope that when the snap back from the rubberbanding happens that we've actually hit an enemy with some of the button smashing.

What the heck is going on? How has it been allowed to go on this long? And is this ever going to get fixed? I can't imagine anyone willing to give ZOS any money for a game that performs this poorly this consistently.
  • Just_Attivi
    Just_Attivi
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, my main gripe right now regarding this issue is:

-how long its been going on
    - minimal updates
    - being told theres nothing to update when its game breaking performance for over 4 months
    - how is there nothing to update? genuinely, I cannot fathom how a company lets this go on so long and doesnt have anything they can report.
    - If this is such a complicated problem, how have outside professionals not been brought in to assess the situation? doesnt microsoft, you know, the folks with all the computer thingies, have a hand in this? Would you drive a car that randomly stopped every 2 minutes, or ejected you from the seat occasionally, or teleported onto the sidewalk sometimes, when youre making as much revenue as this company? Id get it if this was a tiny indie dev doing their best and asking their pet hamster for advice and funding, but this is ZOS. its unacceptable. go call the mechanic.
    - if this is a problem that cannot be remedied by the company, what is the best course of action to take? because FOUR MONTHS of this. I've started deciding on baby names and what color curtains to hang (theyll be black out curtains, btw, so we cant see all the problems happening or whats broken, consider it a favor.)

Ive held true to not spending a penny on this game since I said i'd stop supporting it, I know a few have done the same, and with it, my play time has gone from a main pass time to a few hours a week tops, which impacts others decisions to play as well. small fish, im sure, but the numbers are growing. unfortunately, im sure lots of new players are still getting suckered in, so this little ripple isnt even noticed. but I suspect the last time we log in is coming up for a lot of people that don't realize it yet, as my friends list and guildie log ins are spaced out more and more.
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, my main gripe right now regarding this issue is:

-how long its been going on
    - minimal updates
    - being told theres nothing to update when its game breaking performance for over 4 months
    - how is there nothing to update? genuinely, I cannot fathom how a company lets this go on so long and doesnt have anything they can report.
    - If this is such a complicated problem, how have outside professionals not been brought in to assess the situation? doesnt microsoft, you know, the folks with all the computer thingies, have a hand in this? Would you drive a car that randomly stopped every 2 minutes, or ejected you from the seat occasionally, or teleported onto the sidewalk sometimes, when youre making as much revenue as this company? Id get it if this was a tiny indie dev doing their best and asking their pet hamster for advice and funding, but this is ZOS. its unacceptable. go call the mechanic.
    - if this is a problem that cannot be remedied by the company, what is the best course of action to take? because FOUR MONTHS of this. I've started deciding on baby names and what color curtains to hang (theyll be black out curtains, btw, so we cant see all the problems happening or whats broken, consider it a favor.)

Ive held true to not spending a penny on this game since I said i'd stop supporting it, I know a few have done the same, and with it, my play time has gone from a main pass time to a few hours a week tops, which impacts others decisions to play as well. small fish, im sure, but the numbers are growing. unfortunately, im sure lots of new players are still getting suckered in, so this little ripple isnt even noticed. but I suspect the last time we log in is coming up for a lot of people that don't realize it yet, as my friends list and guildie log ins are spaced out more and more.

@ZOS_Kevin

- 64 GB RAM
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    Can we just try taking akaimi out of the routing table. Just for science? Give us like... 2 nights without it just to see.

- 64 GB RAM
  • Just_Attivi
    Just_Attivi
    ✭✭✭
    Can we just try taking akaimi out of the routing table. Just for science? Give us like... 2 nights without it just to see.

Best we can do is an ambiguous test that may or may not be about this issue or just a drunk bet someone lost, that we tell you nothing about and you should be thankful you got to be a part of, take it or leave it. Before you ask, no, you won't hear the results of said test
  • thesilverball_ESO
    thesilverball_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Just wiped several times on a vet dungeon about 30 minutes ago because our group kept lagging out and getting kicked from the game. Saw lots of lag yesterday as well.
  • Just_Attivi
    Just_Attivi
    ✭✭✭
    also, i want to clarify, Im not trying to shoot the messenger, I know kevin is only given what he gets, but as a company, this situation is sad.
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭

Best we can do is an ambiguous test that may or may not be about this issue or just a drunk bet someone lost, that we tell you nothing about and you should be thankful you got to be a part of, take it or leave it. Before you ask, no, you won't hear the results of said test

Oh trust me... I have pingplotter running along side when I an playing eso so I can track to the second packet loss and latency...

I will know the result of removing akamai or not ;)

- 64 GB RAM
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So here's the thing - @code65536 is almost certainly on to something with the routing being the issue, and only some nodes being affected.

One thing you can do is try connecting via VPN and see if that helps things. If it does, then post about it on this thread. More data helps zos make better decisions. They're almost certainly having to rely on a third party (that may or may not be Akamai, tbh there's not enough conclusive data about that because every single user is routed through their DDoS protection but only a subset are having problems) and that third party may not be taking action. Depending on where in the routing it is, it may even be someone they don't have a direct contract with.