Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ZOS, Massive Spike in Ping/LAG in Recent Days - What Gives?

• LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    Wolfshade wrote: »
    LadyGP wrote: »
    Someone in zone said this fixed their spike issue so putting it here. It didn't help me but maybe it will fix some of yalls issue. Good luck.

"Reset IP and clear DNS cache
    1. Click "Search" in Windows bar and type "cmd".
    2. Right click and select "Run as administrator" and "Yes".
    3. Type the following commands:

Type netsh winsock reset and select Enter.
    Type netsh int ip reset and select Enter.
    Type ipconfig /release and select Enter.
    Type ipconfig /renew and select Enter.
    Type ipconfig /flushdns and select Enter.

Restart your computer. "

THX! Problem solved!

Let me say, it really helped me to run out of major problems. After Zonechange, problems back but not as heavy as before and after a short time lagspikes gone again. Dungeons are still unplayable same *** like all last weeks!

Ugh. Sorry, yeah didn't expect it to fix the issues but was worth a shot.

Zone chat was complaining about lag spikes and disconnects in dungeons today while I was on. It's mind blowing that even in an instanced dungeon people are having issues. I guess I should have expected it considering I have issues sitting AFK in my house but... still.

How did we get here..... This game has fallen downhill substantially the last few years - and the massive push for crown crates and buying things (companions) is a really... really.. bad PR move given the performance issues.
    It's a ZOS issue... not a pc hardware issue.

- AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core Processor 4.20 GHz
    - 64 GB RAM
  • brylars
    brylars
    ✭✭✭✭
    It has been suggested in another post by other players that the ping spikes are the AI doing its thing moderating. I don't know enough tech to know if that is even possible let alone true.
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    brylars wrote: »
    It has been suggested in another post by other players that the ping spikes are the AI doing its thing moderating. I don't know enough tech to know if that is even possible let alone true.

Things got better when akamai left the routing table. Then it came back and things got worse. The last month or so things have gotten MUCH MUCH worse. I think there are multiple things happening here thats contributing to the overall just terrible performance.

- 64 GB RAM
  • Wolfshade
    Wolfshade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    akamai
    !?

Spare me the details pls ;)
    This comment is awesome!

**End of the Internet**
  • thinkaboutit
    thinkaboutit
    ✭✭✭
    akamai is trash.
  • thinkaboutit
    thinkaboutit
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday is coming up we'll see how the lag is tomorrow night during primetime. How hilarious would it be if they were doing backup jobs during primetime EST
  • Ren_TheRedFox
    Ren_TheRedFox
    ✭✭✭
    Talking about 8 vs 8 in battleground when their servers can't even handle 12 people ... seriously what's wrong with the game lately ... it's just a daily lag fest at this point ... just got disconnected from the game during a bg as usual and can't log in because of the "internal error" .... def looking forward to the lovely update 44 ... probably gonna spend 75% of the time trying to log back in :D
    Heals for days
  • reazea
    reazea
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    akamai is trash.

Maybe they should have went with the name lapuwale instead?

They thought they were being clever with their business name, but it falls pretty flat when you experience how their service impacts it's users.

Edited by reazea on 15 September 2024 16:47
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    Talking about 8 vs 8 in battleground when their servers can't even handle 12 people ... seriously what's wrong with the game lately ... it's just a daily lag fest at this point ... just got disconnected from the game during a bg as usual and can't log in because of the "internal error" .... def looking forward to the lovely update 44 ... probably gonna spend 75% of the time trying to log back in :D

I'd argue they cant handle 1 person in an instance. I, and many others, get ping spikes just sitting afk in a house.

- 64 GB RAM
  • Ren_TheRedFox
    Ren_TheRedFox
    ✭✭✭
    @LadyGP same over here ... 600 ping in my house while I'm afking ...
    Heals for days
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    Will today be the day we finally get an update from someone at ZoS? @ZOS_Kevin

- 64 GB RAM
  • Tes96
    Tes96
    ✭✭
    Before update 43 my ping was always in the 120-130s. Every since update 43 I've been getting ping 1000+ every day throughout the day, even while doing things like mount upgrade, writs, farming skyshards. It happens a lot more frequently in dungeons and especially trials.
    My wifi internet connection is fine. I'm able to play lots of youtube videos at the same time in 1080p HD without any lag. And my log in/out times are relatively short too for the game. So it's not my internet. It's something with the game servers.
    And they're already talking about Update 44 yet they haven't even fixed the problems caused by u43.
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    Tes96 wrote: »
    Before update 43 my ping was always in the 120-130s. Every since update 43 I've been getting ping 1000+ every day throughout the day, even while doing things like mount upgrade, writs, farming skyshards. It happens a lot more frequently in dungeons and especially trials.
    My wifi internet connection is fine. I'm able to play lots of youtube videos at the same time in 1080p HD without any lag. And my log in/out times are relatively short too for the game. So it's not my internet. It's something with the game servers.
    And they're already talking about Update 44 yet they haven't even fixed the problems caused by u43.

Agreed - I've literally tried multiple machines (AMD/Intel and different GPUS - currently on 4090). With that I've tried 3 different ISPs (Starlink High Performance which has better up times than my fiber, Fiber, and fiber 4 counties over prior to moving). I'm 100% positive this is NOT an us issue this is a ZoS issue.

When can we get an update!!!!!? @ZOS_Kevin

- 64 GB RAM
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Remember everyone, ZOS is always looking to improve their communication with us. It's like their yearly promise!

I wonder when they'll ACTUALLY start doing what they constantly lie about.
    Edited by Arunei on 16 September 2024 15:57
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    We are working on getting an update from the team. Hoping to have something this week. No change from my last update as of right now, so nothing new to report at the moment.

Also, please do not derail other threads looking for updates. We understand this is frustrating, but all that does is make it disruptive for other people.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I disconnected six times today already. Mostly back to back.

Something is very not right with the servers.
  • thinkaboutit
    thinkaboutit
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    We are working on getting an update from the team. Hoping to have something this week. No change from my last update as of right now, so nothing new to report at the moment.

Also, please do not derail other threads looking for updates. We understand this is frustrating, but all that does is make it disruptive for other people.

How about a timeline of when we should expect this 'update' that has been pending for THREE MONTHS
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I feel like you'd have way less derailing and pestering if you just kept the thread updated more regularly than once a month or more. That's not an unreasonable expectation. Seems like that would be more constructive than getting frustrated with your customers.

Here's a recommended format, which hopefully warrants a response:
    1. What's the scope of the issue, how many people are impacted (roughly)?
    2. What is the priority of the issue for the teams involved?
    3. What testing has been done so far?
    4. When will the team view the videos and information provided?
    5. Is there a timeline yet for a fix?
    Edited by Destai on 17 September 2024 14:25
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭

Where does this rank priority wise with "the team"?

- 64 GB RAM
  • dk_dunkirk
    dk_dunkirk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to give a shoutout to the people coming to this FORTY-SIX-PAGE THREAD about the networking being borked to say, "Works for me!" I guess those of us experiencing problems must just be "holding it wrong."
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    dk_dunkirk wrote: »
    Just wanted to give a shoutout to the people coming to this FORTY-SIX-PAGE THREAD about the networking being borked to say, "Works for me!" I guess those of us experiencing problems must just be "holding it wrong."

Glad to hear people aren't having issues... just wish the majority of us here in this thread we one of them.

- 64 GB RAM
  • offbymyself
    offbymyself
    ✭✭✭

It's also disruptive to have the same people DC 10 times a night in a 2 hour prog group. I can't seem to stay connected in vSE but have no DCs in literally any other trial. Our MM group is suffering as I'm a healer and the raid lead. When will you fix the disruptions on your end because I can guarantee that that's when the 'disruptions' from the community would end?
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Frustrating" is putting it lightly.

Here's someone experiencing latency issues just talking to NPCs at 3pm EST on a Monday:

04i39ddtcqtn.jpg

• TKo_ROUSE
    TKo_ROUSE
    ✭✭✭✭

So last week most of my progs went pretty well, maybe 1 or 2 disconnects. It was serviceable not super disruptive and my core made great progression. Last night was absolutely awful we ended up canceling half way because we couldn't go more than 2 minutes without some one disconnecting.

The big difference being the event started. We had the same issues last event (midyear mayhem). I ended up cancelling core for a whole week just because we had so many disconnects.

The correlation seems simple enough that the more people that are playing the more disconnects we see. Obviously by no means do I mean the solution to the problem is simple (i am sure its very complex). However it may be an unpopular opinion but it may be a good time to suspend events to help minimize the issues we are seeing until a permanent fix is in place.
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was lagging so bad yesterday I couldn't hardly do the crafting dailies. I wasn't lagging with anything else, videos, net surfing, playing WoW, only with ESO.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I was lagging so bad yesterday I couldn't hardly do the crafting dailies. I wasn't lagging with anything else, videos, net surfing, playing WoW, only with ESO.

I'm lagging the worst in dungeons and IA. Full 1 or 2 second delays on skills firing. Any other game I play, smooth as butter.
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad lag on PCNA after today's patcher update. Just trying to do crafting writs and use my personal bank, guild banks, and guild traders.
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    TKo_ROUSE wrote: »

So last week most of my progs went pretty well, maybe 1 or 2 disconnects. It was serviceable not super disruptive and my core made great progression. Last night was absolutely awful we ended up canceling half way because we couldn't go more than 2 minutes without some one disconnecting.

The big difference being the event started. We had the same issues last event (midyear mayhem). I ended up cancelling core for a whole week just because we had so many disconnects.

The correlation seems simple enough that the more people that are playing the more disconnects we see. Obviously by no means do I mean the solution to the problem is simple (i am sure its very complex). However it may be an unpopular opinion but it may be a good time to suspend events to help minimize the issues we are seeing until a permanent fix is in place.

This thread was started before an event.... and many posts were made while events were not going on.

Yes, events amplify the problem.. but there is a massive underlying problem.

- 64 GB RAM
  • KaironBlackbard
    KaironBlackbard
    ✭✭✭

Sounds like a good idea to me.
  • KaironBlackbard
    KaironBlackbard
    ✭✭✭

This thread was started before an event.... and many posts were made while events were not going on.

Yes, events amplify the problem.. but there is a massive underlying problem.

true