Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

ZOS, Massive Spike in Ping/LAG in Recent Days - What Gives?

• LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many people who decided not to play since the spring event will log in, see that the performance has gotten even worse, and quit the game for at least another 3 months.

Theres been a handful of people who have jumped into this thread and said that was their experience. Came back to see if the game got better only to leave shortly after because it's worse.
    It's a ZOS issue... not a pc hardware issue.

- AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core Processor 4.20 GHz
    - 64 GB RAM
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    999+ ping in a dungeon, last boss. We were all stuck in the last boss fight, nobody could move for about 10 seconds, then we moved, then we were stuck again. It was a miracle that we could kill that vet boss. How is it ???
    Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
  • Just_Attivi
    Just_Attivi
    ✭✭✭
    999+ ping in a dungeon, last boss. We were all stuck in the last boss fight, nobody could move for about 10 seconds, then we moved, then we were stuck again. It was a miracle that we could kill that vet boss. How is it ???

Perhaps it is intentional.... they are really proud of the art they have done and want us all to take a moment or 10, and look closer, admire it! :D
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps it is intentional.... they are really proud of the art they have done and want us all to take a moment or 10, and look closer, admire it! :D

The loading screens and menus are very pretty.

- 64 GB RAM
  • manukartofanu
    manukartofanu
    ✭✭✭

Oh, and this beautiful dialogue 'Unexpected error occurred...', apparently, we still haven't admired it enough and haven't fully expressed all our admiration for its beautiful design
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I mean... its been wild. Starting about a month before chapter launch. As a seasoned player i expect performance to dip for a couple weeks right before a large patch because so much data is being back loaded. Usually by 2 or so weeks post patch servers have settled down. Its just wildly inconsistent. Im talking dungeons, trials, overland, cyro, in my tiny house in greenshade. Every place you go its just skills not firing, bars not swapping, rubbing banding..
    Edited by boi_anachronism_ on 12 September 2024 16:29
  • thinkaboutit
    thinkaboutit
    ✭✭✭
    The worst thing about this is the last time we heard about it officially was in the reddit goldroad AMA, where it was brushed off as DDoS and 'lookng at it' ...
  • Just_Attivi
    Just_Attivi
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, hearing the DDOS comment and witnessing the events since then, just really shows that we need to define DDOS:

Doesn't
    Deserve
    Our
    Support

(I got a warning and post edit last time I claimed anything official said it was a DDOS, so this statement here is to express that I definitely only heard rumors of DDOS and it was definitely only from players, not any official source that can be pinned in this very thread ;) )
  • thinkaboutit
    thinkaboutit
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, hearing the DDOS comment and witnessing the events since then, just really shows that we need to define DDOS:

Doesn't
    Deserve
    Our
    Support

(I got a warning and post edit last time I claimed anything official said it was a DDOS, so this statement here is to express that I definitely only heard rumors of DDOS and it was definitely only from players, not any official source that can be pinned in this very thread ;) )

ZOS_RichLambert

[-1] Zenimax 97 points 3 months ago
    We are most definitely aware. It's been a rough few weeks - DDOS attacks have been a big part of perf issues, but aren't the only issue we're looking into.

Three months ago with no update.
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭

Doesn't
    Deserve
    Our
    Support

ZOS_RichLambert

[-1] Zenimax 97 points 3 months ago
    We are most definitely aware. It's been a rough few weeks - DDOS attacks have been a big part of perf issues, but aren't the only issue we're looking into.

Three months ago with no update.

@ZOS_Kevin just trying to manage expectations here.

When can we get an update? Has there been any talk or thoughts about having an every other week update or something. Sounds like this is such a widespread, and under reported, issue that coms needs to step up here.

- 64 GB RAM
  • Just_Attivi
    Just_Attivi
    ✭✭✭
    In before "we are aware, and are working on it, it is a complex problem and we have dedicated countless hours toward it but cant disclose anything we did"
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    In before "we are aware, and are working on it, it is a complex problem and we have dedicated countless hours toward it but cant disclose anything we did"

I think it would be in their best interest to just be transparent and put something out there explaining how we got here.

- Are we engine restricted? The game was in dev for what 7 years and we are 10 years since launch so engines 17 years old? I think people can understand that limitation.
    - Is it a resource issue (server vs money)?
    - Is it a low demand issue (maybe theres just like 100 people who play pvp idk)
    - What happened with refactoring the code?
    - What was the result of the 3 or 4 tests they did?
    - What was the purpose of the pop cap remove test - did it provide anything valuable?

Just give us something to go on.

- 64 GB RAM
  • manukartofanu
    manukartofanu
    ✭✭✭
    LadyGP wrote: »

I think it would be in their best interest to just be transparent and put something out there explaining how we got here.

- Are we engine restricted? The game was in dev for what 7 years and we are 10 years since launch so engines 17 years old? I think people can understand that limitation.
    - What was the purpose of the pop cap remove test - did it provide anything valuable?

But the problem isn't PvP only, why questions about PvP?
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭

But the problem isn't PvP only, why questions about PvP?

Sorry. Valid point. I was more or less talking about how this thread started for it being more PvP focused but since then it's morphed to being the entire game.

- 64 GB RAM
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean, personally I take all their silence and evading as a sign that things are just that bad and they won't dare to be open about it out of the fear that doing so may negatively impact the games player count and so called success.... but I could be wrong, haha.
  • KaironBlackbard
    KaironBlackbard
    ✭✭✭
    Once again I tried doing infinite archive on xbox na.
    Wrecked the first stage.
    Second stage wrecked, but somehow I died? Didn't even see my health go down, I just died. Wave 3.
    Attempt 2. Lag spike on wave 3. Died.
    Attempt 3. Booted from game on wave 3.

1.1.2.3 - session ended due by bad server - seems like all xbox na archive servers are bad. Same thing has occurred every time. Make it to stage 2 wave 3 and it goes kaput. I could easily clear the place, if it weren't for the lag spikes and getting booted constantly.
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    6 disconnects last night for me in 2 hours. When I was in game it was endless rubber banding. Play. Pause. Fast Fwd x5. Play. Pause. Crash. @ZOS_Kevin

- 64 GB RAM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still think it would be helpful to ZOS if the players impacted by these problems would indicate where they are playing from in the real world and whether they are routed to the game servers through Akamai. It's up to them whether they want to look for a workaround through their ISP in terms of rerouting while they wait for ZOS to find a resolution but it's doubtless difficult for their teams to reproduce and analyse the problem when they're all in one location and not experiencing the issue at their end.

@ZOS_Kevin would this information be of assistance and/or is there any other information your teams need in order to identify any common denominators and possible causes?
  • LPapirius
    LPapirius
    ✭✭✭✭
    fizzylu wrote: »
    I mean, personally I take all their silence and evading as a sign that things are just that bad and they won't dare to be open about it out of the fear that doing so may negatively impact the games player count and so called success.... but I could be wrong, haha.

When people are left to make assumptions in an information void, they generally assume the worst. Probably because more often than not that's what the silence and evasion means.
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    I still think it would be helpful to ZOS if the players impacted by these problems would indicate where they are playing from in the real world and whether they are routed to the game servers through Akamai. It's up to them whether they want to look for a workaround through their ISP in terms of rerouting while they wait for ZOS to find a resolution but it's doubtless difficult for their teams to reproduce and analyse the problem when they're all in one location and not experiencing the issue at their end.

@ZOS_Kevin would this information be of assistance and/or is there any other information your teams need in order to identify any common denominators and possible causes?

I should never have to call my ISP and talk to someone with a CCNA in order to make a video game work.

full stop.

- 64 GB RAM
  • cptscotty
    cptscotty
    ✭✭✭
    So the lag issue that was mostly in PVP a couple months ago has now been taking over PVE instanced content daily. Every day now there are huge game breaking lag spikes. Last week it was a general consensus for Trial groups to not even attempt to run because it was so bad. Warning after Warning in discords and zone chats to not even bother trying. It only takes one of these spikes to completely ruin the run...even if the other 99% of the time its running just fine.

One of those things where it may look good on paper, or when you talk numbers in a meeting...but in reality the user experience is extremely bad because it just destroyed your objective and makes it a harder sell to new players when they hear how common these issues are becoming.

In my case...it has ruined a few no death runs in a solo arena. A place I thought id be isolated and better protected from the lag since it was just me in there...but nope.
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    cptscotty wrote: »
    So the lag issue that was mostly in PVP a couple months ago has now been taking over PVE instanced content daily. Every day now there are huge game breaking lag spikes. Last week it was a general consensus for Trial groups to not even attempt to run because it was so bad. Warning after Warning in discords and zone chats to not even bother trying. It only takes one of these spikes to completely ruin the run...even if the other 99% of the time its running just fine.

One of those things where it may look good on paper, or when you talk numbers in a meeting...but in reality the user experience is extremely bad because it just destroyed your objective and makes it a harder sell to new players when they hear how common these issues are becoming.

In my case...it has ruined a few no death runs in a solo arena. A place I thought id be isolated and better protected from the lag since it was just me in there...but nope.

THIS.

Where is ZOS on this?! This should be a coms issue 911.

@ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_GinaBruno @zos_ANYONE

- 64 GB RAM
  • ragnarok6644b14_ESO
    Where is ZOS on this?! This should be a coms issue 911.

@ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_GinaBruno @zos_ANYONE

a couple of those today...
  • WitchyKiki
    WitchyKiki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My game doesn't even properly quit anymore, it just crashes when I'm trying to log out. I also get kicked off when I'm sitting around in one of my houses. This has been going on since the anniversary event. Concerning, but working as intended since its an Elder Scrolls game :D
    Context is for kings -Captain Gabriel Lorca
  • woe
    woe
    ✭✭✭✭
    I logged in to play some dungeons yesterday and it was just laggy all night. Even standing in town I would be spiking up to 2000ms. When playing Oathsworn, I actually desynced and went back about 15s. I play a lot of Cyrodil so usually a bit of lag doesn't bother me but this was ridiculous, especially in just pve.
    uwu
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This game runs more poorly than usual. Several times each time I am ingame, I see 999+, have lag/rubber banding, and crashes/freezes.
    Is it because of the newly added scribing?
    Is it the AI monitoring?
    Was there no backend adjustment to account for the newly added requests?
    What's going on?
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    Dojohoda wrote: »
    This game runs more poorly than usual. Several times each time I am ingame, I see 999+, have lag/rubber banding, and crashes/freezes.
    Is it the AI monitoring?
    What's going on?

The rubber banding almost feels like clients are having a near full packet loss... or packets are somehow being received out of order. '

It's like stepping on a hose. Water is running just fine but step on it for 5 seconds and everything stops (in game). Take your foot off the hose and then everything comes rushing out (all skills/siege fire hyper speed until flow returns to normal).

Playing this game right now feels like I put a hose across the interstate and cars are constantly running over it.

- 64 GB RAM
  • Xandreia_
    Xandreia_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it the AI monitoring?
    What's going on?

The rubber banding almost feels like clients are having a near full packet loss... or packets are somehow being received out of order. '

It's like stepping on a hose. Water is running just fine but step on it for 5 seconds and everything stops (in game). Take your foot off the hose and then everything comes rushing out (all skills/siege fire hyper speed until flow returns to normal).

Playing this game right now feels like I put a hose across the interstate and cars are constantly running over it.

this is a perfect explanation of what it feels like, ive tried everything i can on my end, to make sure its not me, eso is the only game i have issues with, i do a mix of pvp and end game pve (hard mode trials) the performance is just getting worse every single day and yet again there is no communication from zos!!!

@ZOS_Kevin please can we have some sort of comment on this issue! its beginning to get to the point of impossible to play
  • Just_Attivi
    Just_Attivi
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

the problem is..... players DID this.... informally in forums, then in tickets per ZOS request. and I'll say it again... there are **STILL** videos , recording the problems per zos request, that are unviewed from *MONTHS* ago. many people that have had issues have just gone silent/stopped playing all together, because of the significant inaction. Why would people continue to waste time reporting what details are already reported when nothing is happening with it?
  • Just_Attivi
    Just_Attivi
    ✭✭✭
    Is it the AI monitoring?
    What's going on?

these problems have been occurring since before scribing, though have been notably worse since then. in theory the PTS with scribing would have been live though, around when these issues began, which clearly can impact live servers, so entirely possible theyll need to add more dedotaded wam after they turn it off and on next time.