Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ZOS, Massive Spike in Ping/LAG in Recent Days - What Gives?

• LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin I can provide many private VODs showing this issue happening to 3 different people every time we reset a trial. That is if ZOS is actually taking this issue seriously rather than brushing it off as a 'user internet connection issue'

There's far too much silence on the progress and steps being taken to resolve this issue, what other conclusion do you expect us to make if there's ZERO communication from you guys on this matter other than appeasement engineering...

I can't speak for everyone, but many *STILL* have videos submitted by ZOS request with tickets regarding these issues from months ago with *checks notes* zero views.

Someone in my guild made the same comment last night when suggesting I post here. They haven't had a single view on the videos they submitted as well.
    It's a ZOS issue... not a pc hardware issue.

- AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core Processor 4.20 GHz
    - 64 GB RAM
  • thinkaboutit
    thinkaboutit
    ✭✭✭
    LadyGP wrote: »
    @ZOS_Kevin I can provide many private VODs showing this issue happening to 3 different people every time we reset a trial. That is if ZOS is actually taking this issue seriously rather than brushing it off as a 'user internet connection issue'

There's far too much silence on the progress and steps being taken to resolve this issue, what other conclusion do you expect us to make if there's ZERO communication from you guys on this matter other than appeasement engineering...

I can't speak for everyone, but many *STILL* have videos submitted by ZOS request with tickets regarding these issues from months ago with *checks notes* zero views.

Someone in my guild made the same comment last night when suggesting I post here. They haven't had a single view on the videos they submitted as well.

I think its time we take this thread to twitter/reddit where more eyes and voices can weigh in considering the barrier of entry to post here.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I think it counts as a view only if the whole video is watched to the end.

I made a comment about getting 0 views on my trial POVs and was told they only watched a few minutes of the hour long video.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Sugram22
    Sugram22
    ✭✭✭
    bit different issue here:
    after latest patch when ever i quit game it crashes, when i log out then click on back and i go to log in screen all is fine, once i click on quit game freezes and task manager says eso64.exe not responding, when i quit from game not log in screen i get black screen with countdown window with no number (sins its finished), the countdown u get on existing from the game, so each time i half to use task manager

i posted about this in this thread
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-gb/discussion/596695/eso-stops-working-have-to-use-task-manager-to-close

@thinkaboutit
    don't have reddit but can use X
    Edited by Sugram22 on 7 September 2024 20:06
  • Dax_Draconis
    Dax_Draconis
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am suddenly having terribly high ping but only in certain zones. Deshaan and Stonefalls are completely unplayable for me, but my ping is great in Vvardenfell and Alik'r. I am also having ping issues in certain dungeons and trials, but not all.
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭

I think its time we take this thread to twitter/reddit where more eyes and voices can weigh in considering the barrier of entry to post here.

I don't have any of those social media accounts but if someone makes a thread I'll post it in my guilds discord. I know there a lot of people there who would be interested in giving their feedback regarding this ongoing issue.

- 64 GB RAM
  • thinkaboutit
    thinkaboutit
    ✭✭✭

I think it counts as a view only if the whole video is watched to the end.

I made a comment about getting 0 views on my trial POVs and was told they only watched a few minutes of the hour long video.

on youtube as soon as you click its a view
  • Spiritrush
    Spiritrush
    ✭✭✭
    It's not totally unplayable... You probably just need a better machine. Or a better ISP. I need a better ISP.
    I get good frames. It's the periods of lag that get me.
    I can be fine for 15 minutes, then get hit by a 5+ second lag spike. Sometimes even getting booted.
    My frames don't drop. However, my ping goes 999+ often.
    I was doing the Fungal Grotto pledge on veteran and got lag many times. Got booted as my team started attacking Kragh. When it finally let me back in, he was dead and half the crew left. At least I got credit and loot from it.

Yes, it's unplayable at 5-12 fps in PvP, dungeons, and trials - occurs when in combat. My machine is excellent. My internet is excellent. The only change is the Update.

@ZOS_Kevin: Perhaps another clue: A friend and I in Cyro. Both at 7-12 fps in combat for extended periods of time. He gets a loadscreen and gets kicked from Cyro. A minute later I get a loadscreen and jump to 40-45 fps for 5-10 secs (still in combat), then quickly back to 7-12 fps.
    Edited by Spiritrush on 8 September 2024 02:07
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, take it where ZOS might actually GAD and add Instagram and Tik Tok. :D
    Edited by Idinuse on 8 September 2024 23:46
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • KaironBlackbard
    KaironBlackbard
    ✭✭✭
    Idinuse wrote: »

Yes, take it where ZOS might actually GAF and add Instagram and Tik Tok. :D

what does "GAF" mean?
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    what does "GAF" mean?

Give a duck.

- 64 GB RAM
  • Kainarel
    Kainarel
    ✭✭✭
    Logged in and had time to merely grab the daily reward before getting kicked with unexpected error (wait and log back in later). PC EU

Frustrating. No more mood to wait and log back in later.
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    Kainarel wrote: »
    Logged in and had time to merely grab the daily reward before getting kicked with unexpected error (wait and log back in later). PC EU

Frustrating. No more mood to wait and log back in later.

I feel you on this. I haven't played at all this weekend. I'm losing interest in this game and think it's time I end my plus subscription. Wish we had some kind of update on this and where this ranks priority wise for ZoS. @ZOS_Kevin

- 64 GB RAM
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't play ESO at all today, which is rare for me. Logged in to fill up my store and had to log out. Why?? Because it took soooo long to even stock my store due to the 999+ pings again and yes AKAMI is a HUGE HUGE HUGE problem ZOS!

I know I am ONE person and who cares if I can cancel my sub and that I have been here since closed Beta. I am so tired of fighting with this and getting no help from ZOS.
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    Seravi wrote: »
    I didn't play ESO at all today, which is rare for me. Logged in to fill up my store and had to log out. Why?? Because it took soooo long to even stock my store due to the 999+ pings again and yes AKAMI is a HUGE HUGE HUGE problem ZOS!

I know I am ONE person and who cares if I can cancel my sub and that I have been here since closed Beta. I am so tired of fighting with this and getting no help from ZOS.

Unfortunately I think I am right there with you.

- 64 GB RAM
  • Stridig
    Stridig
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the worst I've ever experienced in this game. It's gotten horrible. I'm sure it's something on my end though.
    Enemy to many
    Friend to all
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stridig wrote: »
    This is the worst I've ever experienced in this game. It's gotten horrible. I'm sure it's something on my end though.

Yeah, craziest freeze frames and rubberbanding ever in Cyrodiil today. Crashed a few times, and got "booted from server" just for trying to log back in.

Can it possibly get any worse?
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • thinkaboutit
    thinkaboutit
    ✭✭✭

Good idea, i just did the same.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ping spikes were terrible today. 400-999+ spikes every minute or so while doing the following activities:

- crafting writs
    - Fishing for Perfect Roe
    - Levelling skills in Alik’r
    - Ganking AD in Cyrodiil

Nothing is wrong on my end. Other games are performing well. The ping spikes have been bad since the most recent patch, but today has been the worst day thus far.
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭

Good idea, i just did the same.

Just turned off my auto renew.

- 64 GB RAM
  • Dax_Draconis
    Dax_Draconis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »
    Ping spikes were terrible today. 400-999+ spikes every minute or so while doing the following activities:

- crafting writs
    - Ganking AD in Cyrodiil

Nothing is wrong on my end. Other games are performing well. The ping spikes have been bad since the most recent patch, but today has been the worst day thus far.

This has been happening to me since Thursday on both of my computers. Something is happening between my computers and the ESO servers causing terribly high ping that makes the game frustrating to play.

But for some reason, I have no problems with high pings and latency if I connect through GeForce Now or while using a VPN. I don't understand what has changed.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

- crafting writs
    - Ganking AD in Cyrodiil

This has been happening to me since Thursday on both of my computers. Something is happening between my computers and the ESO servers causing terribly high ping that makes the game frustrating to play.

But for some reason, I have no problems with high pings and latency if I connect through GeForce Now or while using a VPN. I don't understand what has changed.

Probably the ISP routing from your node to the server. Have you done a tracert to see if Akamai is the root issue? If Akamai IS the root issue, try getting with your ISP's CS people (preferably start with a supervisor who may actually know how to figure out a re-route around bottlenecks).
    Edited by TaSheen on 9 September 2024 03:12

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Dax_Draconis
    Dax_Draconis
    ✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »

- crafting writs
    - Ganking AD in Cyrodiil

Probably the ISP routing from your node to the server. Have you done a tracert to see if Akamai is the root issue? If Akamai IS the root issue, try getting with your ISP's CS people (preferably start with a supervisor who may actually know how to figure out a re-route around bottlenecks).

I did the pathping and tracert as shown on the ESO support page and yes, Akamai was shown to be blocking 100% of packets. I tried to call my ISP and they only wanted to upsell me to a more expensive package and weren't interested in trying to figure out the issue. It is the weekend so probably not the real tech support. Hoping not.

Thanks for the tip. I will call them back during regular business hours.
  • thinkaboutit
    thinkaboutit
    ✭✭✭

- crafting writs
    - Ganking AD in Cyrodiil

I did the pathping and tracert as shown on the ESO support page and yes, Akamai was shown to be blocking 100% of packets. I tried to call my ISP and they only wanted to upsell me to a more expensive package and weren't interested in trying to figure out the issue. It is the weekend so probably not the real tech support. Hoping not.

you have to be careful, a lot of the hops along the way and the ESO game servers do not accept ping traffic, so your only metric is the hops in the traceroute that do allow icmp (ping traffic)

i might start running a wireshark when i am raiding, but not sure if it'll show anything useful.

• Dax_Draconis
    Dax_Draconis
    ✭✭✭✭

- crafting writs
    - Ganking AD in Cyrodiil

you have to be careful, a lot of the hops along the way and the ESO game servers do not accept ping traffic, so your only metric is the hops in the traceroute that do allow icmp (ping traffic)

i might start running a wireshark when i am raiding, but not sure if it'll show anything useful.

Okay. I don't really understand that stuff or why I would need to be careful. But I only did what their own support page suggested. Nothing more. They shouldn't suggest something if it is not ok to do.
    Edited by Dax_Draconis on 9 September 2024 05:11
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

- crafting writs
    - Ganking AD in Cyrodiil

Okay. I don't really understand that stuff or why I would need to be careful. But I only did what their own support page suggested. Nothing more. They shouldn't suggest something if it is not ok to do.

When Indrik feathers were a new thing and players asked what they should do with the extras after creating their new mount, ZOS customer support was telling people they should destroy them.... even though they were each extra entries into the sweepstakes and would also be needed to create future Indriks. So, just because ZOS suggests something, it doesn't always mean it's the right/best thing to do.

Edited by Jaraal on 9 September 2024 11:11
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

- crafting writs
    - Ganking AD in Cyrodiil

Curious, though: why is this something we have to fix, when the problem started up again in earnest after the most recent server downtime and isn’t affecting other games?
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

- crafting writs
    - Ganking AD in Cyrodiil

Curious, though: why is this something we have to fix, when the problem started up again in earnest after the most recent server downtime and isn’t affecting other games?

Well, if ZOS gets enough complaints (which seems like they must have by now) perhaps they'll sort out their DDOS protection some other way eventually - keep in mind though, that contractual situations apply, so they may not be able (or willing) to "fire" Akamai immediately.

So if you want to be able to play "normally" until ZOS steps up to the plate, getting your ISP to re-route may be the only option outside of not playing at all. I know which one I'd choose - and I actually had to do this myself back when I played RIFT - wasn't Akamai, just a really bollixed route that made my ping (already awful) twice as bad and seriously interfered with playing the game. That was long before I swapped to HughesNet, and WildBlue wasn't as "accomplished" as HughesNet, but they did eventually sort it out so that instead of unplayable lag, I at least was back to what had been normal a couple of months before.
    Edited by TaSheen on 9 September 2024 13:35

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • thinkaboutit
    thinkaboutit
    ✭✭✭
    If we're being honest here, having 80-140ms latency from east coast usa to dallas texas is hilariously unacceptable. that alone should indicate how bad of a choice AKAMAI is.

To give an example of how bad this latency is in present day, if I am routing from east coast to say... hawaii or to western europe i get around 140ms of latency.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    last weekend was experiencing a lot of unusual lag

saturday wasnt quite as bad but there was some noticeable spikes while running archive

sunday was just bad all around, constantly sat at 160+ ping all evening and frequently jumped into the 400s while trying to run trials, and this was not affecting me but basically everyone in the entire trial group

i normally sit between 60-80 ping which is "no lag" for me, i start to experience lag at about 140 ping, and the game basically becomes unplayable at 200+ ping especially for anything with a cast time
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities