Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ZOS, Massive Spike in Ping/LAG in Recent Days - What Gives?

• LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    If we're being honest here, having 80-140ms latency from east coast usa to dallas texas is hilariously unacceptable. that alone should indicate how bad of a choice AKAMAI is.

To give an example of how bad this latency is in present day, if I am routing from east coast to say... hawaii or to western europe i get around 140ms of latency.

I've tried using a VPN all over the country to get around Akamai and I've had no luck. Someone mentioned they used a VPN and it resolved their issue - did anyone else have this same result?
    It's a ZOS issue... not a pc hardware issue.

- AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core Processor 4.20 GHz
    - 64 GB RAM
  • thinkaboutit
    thinkaboutit
    ✭✭✭
    LadyGP wrote: »
    If we're being honest here, having 80-140ms latency from east coast usa to dallas texas is hilariously unacceptable. that alone should indicate how bad of a choice AKAMAI is.

To give an example of how bad this latency is in present day, if I am routing from east coast to say... hawaii or to western europe i get around 140ms of latency.

I've tried using a VPN all over the country to get around Akamai and I've had no luck. Someone mentioned they used a VPN and it resolved their issue - did anyone else have this same result?

I don't think this will solve your issue, my best recommendation is to just reset instance when you land on a bad / overloaded gameserver.. open resource monitor, go to network and sort by process name and note which one performs the worst and avoid that instance if you land on that IP. there's going to be 2-3 entries for eso64.exe under network tab for resource monitor. pick the one that has the most total throughput logged

One other quality of life thing you could do is make a backup copy of your addons folder and delete all unused addons/libs. I started by renaming my addons folder and copying addons i absolutely needed, reloaded ui, then copied over dependency libs. It potentially solved the type of disconnect where your player model disappears and you don't get dropped to login screen. It did NOT help with the entire raid team getting rubberbanding lag though. That in my opinion is a bad 'server node' hosting that specific instance...

As far as VPN, I did buy ExitLag - but its only going to marginally help you out since I think ZOS is having infrastructure level issues right now that aren't being communicated..

94pzngrx8qdy.png
  • thinkaboutit
    thinkaboutit
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that resetting an instance wont help 'everyone' but will shuffle the problem to other users...
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭

I don't think this will solve your issue, my best recommendation is to just reset instance when you land on a bad / overloaded gameserver.. open resource monitor, go to network and sort by process name and note which one performs the worst and avoid that instance if you land on that IP. there's going to be 2-3 entries for eso64.exe under network tab for resource monitor. pick the one that has the most total throughput logged

One other quality of life thing you could do is make a backup copy of your addons folder and delete all unused addons/libs. I started by renaming my addons folder and copying addons i absolutely needed, reloaded ui, then copied over dependency libs. It potentially solved the type of disconnect where your player model disappears and you don't get dropped to login screen. It did NOT help with the entire raid team getting rubberbanding lag though. That in my opinion is a bad 'server node' hosting that specific instance...

As far as VPN, I did buy ExitLag - but its only going to marginally help you out since I think ZOS is having infrastructure level issues right now that aren't being communicated..

94pzngrx8qdy.png

This is an extremely frustrating way to have to play a game. Nothing I can do about this when I'm in a trial with guildies and having issues. I do wish ZoS would come out and make a statement instead of just leaving us in the dark - surely they have data or some kind of "alerts/sensors" that can give them some analytics to the player bases connections/overall latency.

- 64 GB RAM
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We play games that route to the local Data Center and have zero issues. This is the only game I am having this problem with.

Even worse is I LIVE near the data center in Texas (as in throw a rock and hit it) and I get 140ms+ from Akami and 2-3ms every where else in my route! :(
  • MedicInTheWild
    MedicInTheWild
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS* Can we get an update on this issue, it seems to be consistent spikes of lag across PC NA, not sure about the other servers. This has been slowly getting worse since Update 43 and seems to have no rhyme or rhythm coming form the dozen or 2 I have discussed this with.
    Medic
    All platforms and servers
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that resetting an instance wont help 'everyone' but will shuffle the problem to other users...

Well this is a weird nugget....

Who at ZoS can we reach out to for some information on this?

- 64 GB RAM
  • MedicInTheWild
    MedicInTheWild
    ✭✭✭
    Funny enough people are glitching inside wall and structures in PVP, I was just rezzed by someone stuck in a wall and sadly they were probably stuck in combat and couldn't get out and being the combat bug is still a thing 10 years later they will probably be in there until they timeout. @ZOS can you please look into the horrible lag and performance.
    Medic
  • MedicInTheWild
    MedicInTheWild
    ✭✭✭
    Confirmed, they are stuck in combat and cant get out...........
    Medic
  • MedicInTheWild
    MedicInTheWild
    ✭✭✭
    Also I have now crashed 5 times in 3 hours..................Can we get acknowledgement that you know there is a problem and maybe make a dev tracker???? Its sad that I have seen so many post about performance since update 43 yet we get a tracker for crown crates that I cant find anyone asked for.
    Medic
  • manukartofanu
    manukartofanu
    ✭✭✭

94pzngrx8qdy.png

By playing this game, you might accidentally start a career in IT
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife just got booted from PCEU and can't get back in (Unable to Access Lobby error), but I am on PCNA and having no problems.

EDIT. I also tried to log in to EU and also got Error 334, then tried again to get 'Unable to connect to game server.'

EDIT: PCEU Now getting Error 303 (ESO page says, 'Error 303 typically indicates that the servers may be offline.)

EDIT: Back on PCEU now. It appeared to be down for 15 minutes from around 0100 to 0115 UTC for me.

EDIT: And back down again. I give up trying. This is getting beyond acceptable.
    Edited by MrGarlic on 10 September 2024 01:32
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • DawnWarrior
    DawnWarrior
    ✭✭✭

MrGarlic wrote: »
    My wife just got booted from PCEU and can't get back in (Unable to Access Lobby error), but I am on PCNA and having no problems.

EDIT. I also tried to log in to EU and also got Error 334, then tried again to get 'Unable to connect to game server.'

EDIT: PCEU Now getting Error 303 (ESO page says, 'Error 303 typically indicates that the servers may be offline.[/'i])

EDIT: Back on PCEU now. It appeared to be down for 15 minutes from around 0100 to 0115 UTC for me.

Funnily enough, after playing with super lag for 2 hours on PCNA, the lag went away completely (for me anyway) at the time you mention.
  • MedicInTheWild
    MedicInTheWild
    ✭✭✭

MrGarlic wrote: »

EDIT: PCEU Now getting Error 303 (ESO page says, 'Error 303 typically indicates that the servers may be offline.[/'i])

Funnily enough, after playing with super lag for 2 hours on PCNA, the lag went away completely (for me anyway) at the time you mention.

No rhyme at all, I have seen so many lag out while fighting including in dungeons and had someone lag out in Reapers March
    Medic
  • Rkindaleft
    Rkindaleft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My raid group has had to cancel our prog 2 weeks in a row because of bad performance and disconnects. Even one or two people disconnecting ruins the whole raid especially when progging trifecta.

This thread has been going for months now. When is something going to be done about it?
    https://youtube.com/@rkindaleft PlayStation NA. I upload parses and trial POVs sometimes.
    6/9 Trial Trifecta achievements.
    Tick Tock Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Planesbreaker
  • cicisch
    cicisch
    Class Representative
    The performance tonight is exceptionally bad - we had 8 people DC simultaneously in Lucent Citadel tonight and repeat DCs in Sanity's. The radio silence is extremely frustrating and saying something is better than nothing at this point. It is getting to the point of unacceptable levels of service and it feels that putting in tickets is just falling on deaf ears at this point.
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still getting Error 334 trying to get into PCEU, over 3 hours after it failed initially.

It's starting to feel like a bait and switch.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • silky_soft
    silky_soft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm desync by more then 1s today. I can be ontop of another play in pvp, no melee range skill will deal damage to them.

My trace from Melbourne, Australia. The other 5 hops are all between 1 and 9ms from my ISP.

6 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms as32787.vic.ix.asn.au [218.100.78.120]
    7 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms po110.bs-b.sech-mel.netarch.akamai.com [23.57.107.245]
    8 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms a72-52-1-139.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [72.52.1.139]
    9 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms ae121.access-a.sech-mel.netarch.akamai.com [23.57.107.251]
    10 9 ms 8 ms 9 ms a72-52-63-136.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [72.52.63.136]
    11 195 ms 193 ms 194 ms a184-26-104-150.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [184.26.104.150]
    12 193 ms 193 ms 193 ms 198.20.200.1
    Here $15, goat mount please. Not gambling or paying 45 : lol :
    20% base speed for high ping players.
    Streak moves you faster then speed cap.
    Khajiit has the best damage passive in the game, lol 12%. Insane.
  • BlueViolet
    BlueViolet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm also unable to log in to PC EU and am getting the 334 error , Unable to access Game Lobby and Lost Lobby Connection for a couple of hours now.
    Can log in to NA
    EU / NA / PC
  • KaironBlackbard
    KaironBlackbard
    ✭✭✭
    I just tried to do infinite archive on Xbox NA, and got heavy lag and got booted in the final wave of stage 1.
    Overland was mostly fine though. You'd think it'd be the opposite since overland is a larger map with a lot more players than archive.
  • thinkaboutit
    thinkaboutit
    ✭✭✭
    @Zos_RICH

don't think its possible to get around akamai since they are man in the middle on the path to ZOS servers
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well this is a weird nugget....

Who at ZoS can we reach out to for some information on this?

All the information they have is in Kevin's contributions to this thread, basically they're investigating it with nothing to report yet. They are following the thread and passing relevant details to the team working on it. You can only wait for further updates and/or submit a detailed ticket.
  • edward_frigidhands
    edward_frigidhands
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have noticed that it gets worse on PC NA when they put out a new PTS.
    @Seravi I do not currently have any updates or known issues concerning this, but I can share the links for some troubleshooting:

For PC: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/#en/answer/51890

For Xbox: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/#en/home/category/8/platform/20/techissuetype/877

For PlayStation: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/#en/home/category/8/platform/19/techissuetype/877

It would also help to send in a ticket to Support if you are still having the issue, you can do that by clicking "Continue to Submit Ticket" or, "Need More Help" at the bottom of the article.

Hello @ZOS_CouchTato.

Are you able to provide details regarding how or if this matter is being investigated on your end?

What have you guys uncovered in your process of looking into it?

Has the staff at ZOS been able to replicate or observe any of the issues that many of these people are speaking of?

Has the information provided in this thread proven to be helpful to ZOS staff in the process of looking into the various similar issues described here?

Please let us know so that we can provide better information here.

Maybe I missed it but were these or the concerns regarding Akamai addressed?

I know Akamai was referenced by one of the CMs and they were going to check in with us once they had more information.
  • edward_frigidhands
    edward_frigidhands
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cicisch wrote: »
    The performance tonight is exceptionally bad - we had 8 people DC simultaneously in Lucent Citadel tonight and repeat DCs in Sanity's. The radio silence is extremely frustrating and saying something is better than nothing at this point. It is getting to the point of unacceptable levels of service and it feels that putting in tickets is just falling on deaf ears at this point.

Sept 9th 2024 was exceptionally bad for me as well. I had to stop playing and do something else.
  • meekmiko
    meekmiko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rkindaleft wrote: »
    My raid group has had to cancel our prog 2 weeks in a row because of bad performance and disconnects. Even one or two people disconnecting ruins the whole raid especially when progging trifecta.

This thread has been going for months now. When is something going to be done about it?

Probably never after looking at the old thread that complained about Akamai:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/436992/high-latency-at-akamai-com/p1

The exact same thing happening and ZOS was absolutely silent for years the last time.

thinkaboutit bumped it the other day and it got closed. 🤷‍♀️
    Edited by meekmiko on 10 September 2024 19:09
    🌟PC/NA CP2025+ [Been playing since 2016]
    JUSTICE FOR APEX CAMELS 🐪✨ Bring 'em back!
    vMA / vVH / vDSA / vBRP / vAA HM / vSO HM / vHRC HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS+1 & +1 / vCR+2 / vSS / vKA/ vRG
    • 🌩️ 🏹 EP - Jessamine Seed-Nightrun, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer / Bosmer StamSorc (DPS) -Main DPS-
    • ☀️ 🛡️ EP - Mihi'Mai-Ra, Plague of Peryite / Khajiit StamPlar (Tank) -Main Tank-
    • ☀️ ✨ EP - Lady Lapa'au, The Magnanimous / Khajiit MagPlar (Healer) -Main Healer-
    • 🌩️ ☄️ EP - Ra'venk, Style Master / Khajiit MagSorc (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ⚔️ EP - Bird gra-Shuzgub, Forge Breaker / Orc StamBlade (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ✨ EP - Blades-at-the-Ready, Witch / Argonian MagBlade (Healer)
    • ☀️ ⚔️ EP - Lady Fortuna the Blessed, Grand Champion / Imperial StamPlar (DPS)
    • 🔥 🛡️ EP - Plays-in Volcanoes, Mystic / Argonian StamDK (Tank)
    • 💀 ☄️ EP - Ko'shamari the Doomweaver, Dovahkriid / Khajiit MagNecro (DPS)
    • 🌱 ✨ EP - Sorvete, Countess / Khajiit StamDen (Healer)
    • 🔥 🏹 EP - Falora Veloth, The Merciless / Dunmer StamDK (DPS)
    • 🌩️ 🛡️ AD - Shimmers-with-Static, Spark of Vengeance / Argonian StamSorc (Tank)
    • ☀️ ⚔️ EP - Amarri-do the Magnificent, Clan Mother / Khajiit StamPlar (DPS)
    • 🌩️ ⚔️ EP - Z'majii-dar the Quick, Battlegrounds Butcher / Khajiit StamSorc (DPS)
    • 🔥 ⚔️ EP - Habasi the Glamorous, Seeker of Artifacts / Khajiit StamDK (DPS)
    • 🗡️ 🛡️ EP - Yana-la the Iron Lotus, Silver Knight / Khajiit StamBlade (Tank)
    • 👁️ ☄️ EP - Mog gra-Ushug the Scholar, Master Historian / Orc MagCanist (DPS)
    • 👁️ 🛡️ EP - Mamaea the Sledgehammer, Alpha Predator / Khajiit StamCanist (Tank)
    • 👁️ 🏹 EP - Elsyiir Lichenhollow, Lady / Bosmer StamCanist (DPS)
    • 💀 🛡️ EP - Vashpurri-do the Corrupt, Alpha Predator / Khajiit StamNecro (Tank)
    • & I only dabble on the PC/EU server sometimes:
    • 🗡️ ⚔️ AD - Jessamine Seed-Nightrun / Bosmer StamBlade (DPS)
    • 🌩️ ⚔️ EP - Sings-a-Song-of-Storms / Argonian StamSorc (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ☄️ DC - Helainie the Shadebringer / Breton MagBlade (DPS)
    • 🌩️ ☄️ EP - Steals-Many-Hearts / Argonian MagSorc (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ⚔️ AD - Pashet the Nimble / Khajiit StamBlade (DPS)
    • 🔥 🏹☄️ EP - Furoni the Ember / Dunmer HybridDK (DPS)
    • 👁️ ☄️ EP - Am-Kesh / Argonian MagCanist (DPS)
    • 🔥 ⚔️ AD - Eldrinthr the Flame-Heart / Bosmer StamDK (DPS)
    • 👁️ ☄️ AD - Bajaa the Blackened Beast / Khajiit MagNecro (DPS)
    • 💀 ⚔️ AD - Vashpurri-do the Corrupt / Khajiit StamNecro (DPS)
  • thinkaboutit
    thinkaboutit
    ✭✭✭
    meekmiko wrote: »

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/436992/high-latency-at-akamai-com/p1

The exact same thing happening and ZOS was absolutely silent for years the last time.

I am so glad they took the time to close my thread, only for me to open another one starting at ground zero so that it can ultimately be ignored :smiley:
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭
    meekmiko wrote: »

I am so glad they took the time to close my thread, only for me to open another one starting at ground zero so that it can ultimately be ignored :smiley:

Interesting that they would want you to start a new thread and then repeat the process.

Hopefully we can get some information here soon.

- 64 GB RAM
  • Wolfkeks
    Wolfkeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today was def wonky again
    "Sheggorath, you are the Skooma Cat, for what is crazier than a cat on skooma?" - Fadomai
    EU PC 2000+ CP professional mudballer and pie thrower
    Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, vAA hm, vHelRa hm, vSO hm, vMoL hm, vHoF hm, vAS+2, vCR+3, vSS hm, vKA, vRG, Flawless Conquerer, Spirit Slayer
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4gk42876tobg.jpg

The game is unplayable right now. I wasn't getting ping spikes like this prior to the most recent round of maintenance. This has been happening every day since then, and it's getting progressively worse. Nothing has changed on my end, and other games play smoothly. Prior to the most recent maintenance, my ping hovered between 100-115, with only the occasional spike here and there into the 300s.

Please do something. I literally cannot do anything in the game for more than a few minutes at a time without experiencing severe input delays. Cyrodiil, crafting, ink farming, you name it. It's affecting me in all areas of the game.
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Performance has been in terrible in group content (BGs and dungeons, from my experience), worst than I've ever seen it.