The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Templar jabs

• maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stx wrote: »
    I doubt they would reimplement the old animation at this point. What I really want and hope they will do soon is make a proper new animation. A better quality animation that actually looks good.

I’ve thought about this a lot. And I get that the new animation was supposed to make using light attacks easier. But it looks so horrible. I popped on my Templar for a dungeon run yesterday, and I was once again taken aback by how clunky it looks. Deltia is spot on with his pool noodle video. I’d almost take a revert to the old animation with 4 hits, but just sped it up, with weaker hits, of course. I also find it hard to believe that anyone finds this animation better than the old. [snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 5 March 2023 17:39
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having a different opinion isn't trolling. Not everyone sees things the same way.

I didn't have my Templar when they still had the old animation so I can't compare them, but I really don't see anything wrong with the new one.
    PCNA
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Having a different opinion isn't trolling. Not everyone sees things the same way.

I didn't have my Templar when they still had the old animation so I can't compare them, but I really don't see anything wrong with the new one.

That puts you in a very small minority
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I made a new Templar and am enjoying the class. Please add me to the "small minority" that does not worry about the animation changes.
  • Flameweaver1951
    Flameweaver1951
    ✭✭✭

I suspect that the majority of Templars are ok with the change, [snip] Time to move on.

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 5 March 2023 17:38
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect that the majority of Templars are ok with the change, [snip] Time to move on.

There have been several forum polls on the matter, where proponents are given equal votes to opponents. And the majority are not ok with the change.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 5 March 2023 17:40
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

There have been several forum polls on the matter, where proponents are given equal votes to opponents. And the majority are not ok with the change.

The majority in the forums is still a tiny fraction of the Templar playerbase. If the majority in the forum is ok or not ok with it doesn't matter - you know that, I know that, ZOS knows that.

ZOS acknowleded the Templar issues with an official statement. That they didn't talk about the Jabs animation is a clear indicator that they don't see this as an issue, let alone as a topic worth discussing about.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 5 March 2023 17:40
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

[edited for baiting]

This is not true according to a poll on this forum. It was overwhelmingly against the new animation. Unfortunately, a lot of Templars have moved on. They’ve given up playing a class they used to love because of repeated nerfs and the animation change.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    Jaraal wrote: »

The majority in the forums is still a tiny fraction of the Templar playerbase. If the majority in the forum is ok or not ok with it doesn't matter - you know that, I know that, ZOS knows that.

ZOS acknowleded the Templar issues with an official statement. That they didn't talk about the Jabs animation is a clear indicator that they don't see this as an issue, let alone as a topic worth discussing about.

[edited to remove quote]

If ZoS does not see an issue with a large majority (according to forum polls, number of threads about and streamers who have discussed) of users disliking a change and being unworthy of discussion then they can continue to receive no revenue from myself.

I believe it is more an indicator of not wanting to have to revert a change and the certain knowledge that given enough time the issue will fade away as players who remember the older, better animation are slowly replaced by those who do not.
  • xthrshx
    xthrshx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jabs went from the most iconic skill in the game to the second worst animation they have ever made. Kind of impressive.
  • UnabashedlyHonest
    UnabashedlyHonest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil performance has been bad for years and I was wondering why I was still paying for a sub. Then U35 came along and these animation changes to jabs and flurry. These animation changes are so bad that it shakes player confidence in the current investment ZOS is committing to ESO now days.

There are many of us that would love to resume subbing to ESO+ but until these animation changes are reversed and Cyrodiil sees some performance improvements it's difficult to justify the expense.

Edited by UnabashedlyHonest on 12 March 2023 16:12
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    xthrshx wrote: »
    Jabs went from the most iconic skill in the game to the second worst animation they have ever made. Kind of impressive.

Especially dismally impressive paired with the vicious nerfs to Templars....
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
  • Somber97866
    Somber97866
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care about the damage just hate the new animation myself personally
  • huskandhunger
    huskandhunger
    ✭✭✭
    For me the Current animation thrust with both hands bothers me more as I liked how forceful the single arm thrust in the Original animation looks. I would like the old thrust returned and no matter which spear style is used, let it be consistent across all animations so it is intentional instead of seemingly haphazardly applied.

• ProudMary
    ProudMary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone who's ever played templar knows templars use spears of light, not nighthollow staves.

Animation changes this poorly thought out and implemented make it seem as though ZOS is not investing proper time or thought into the changes they are making to core game skills.

Edited by ProudMary on 12 March 2023 16:09
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was trying to find the poll showing what percentage of respondents were disgusted with the change to templar jabs animation, but could not find it. Was that poll deleted? Can someone please link to it in this thread if they can find it?
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As mad as this is going to sound, the issue is not with jabs in of itself, but it is actually how it no longer synergises with burning light, which inturn has removed a big bite from the ability as it were

soloutiuon would be simple, remove the interal cooldown on burning light, or reduce it to 0.25 seconds at the very least
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    notyuu wrote: »
    As mad as this is going to sound, the issue is not with jabs in of itself, but it is actually how it no longer synergises with burning light, which inturn has removed a big bite from the ability as it were

soloutiuon would be simple, remove the interal cooldown on burning light, or reduce it to 0.25 seconds at the very least

That would be too strong if they removed it entirely, since it builds with any damage not just the Spear Line. 0.25s sounds about right. It would proc about once per second given the timing would never be exactly .25s.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    notyuu wrote: »

I agree with this sentiment,but I think this thread has mainly been about the animation.

Another thing that hurts jabs is Maras Balm is meta so it's a natural mitigation to jabs refreshing snare although that part of Maras is nominal now. The purge still eas POTL/PL

But I don't think the OP here is concerned about function
  • ProudMary
    ProudMary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

Thank you for posting this. It just goes to show how unpopular the wonky animation change is with the player base.

Most companies would listen to and take heed of something this unpopular with so many people and take some action.
  • celner4_ESO
    celner4_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I’m would be okay with the new animation if jabs didn’t feel so weak now single target. Comparatively too my other dps being NB and Sorc and Necro and Warden (kind of not playing warden much either).
    What is Truth? Not my own truth, and not your truth. But Universal Truth, that is an absolution.
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’m would be okay with the new animation if jabs didn’t feel so weak now single target. Comparatively too my other dps being NB and Sorc and Necro and Warden (kind of not playing warden much either).

I'll never be alright with the new animation. It makes no sense in any way, shape or form. Templars do not use nighthollow staves, they use spears of light.
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    63 of 509 people like the new animation … 😂
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been away for a few years. Came back. What did you let them do to my Templar?
    Lethal zergling
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amerises wrote: »
    63 of 509 people like the new animation … 😂

But a couple of people at ZOS liked it, that's all that really matters.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beamplar is the most painfully repetitive boring uninteresting playing style imaginable, and as far as I can tell, it’s the only way Templar can run these days.

I can’t fathom why they nerfed jabs as much as they did (along with POL). It seemed like those skills were core to Templar’s identity.
    Edited by Caribou77 on 4 April 2023 03:13
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    Been away for a few years. Came back. What did you let them do to my Templar?

😂 The outrage was pretty clear for WEEKS over it. Believe us, we did everything we could to try and stop it …
  • Twig_Garlicshine
    Twig_Garlicshine
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had no issue with the "animation" of new jabs vs old jabs since the "animation" has nothing to do with the power or lack of power of the skill itself.

The look of something changes -> people scream.
    The skill gets nerfed -> people scream about the look.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fkey wrote: »
    I had no issue with the "animation" of new jabs vs old jabs since the "animation" has nothing to do with the power or lack of power of the skill itself.

The look of something changes -> people scream.
    The skill gets nerfed -> people scream about the look.

That's the thing, I have more issues with the animation than with the power of the skill. Things get buffed and nerfed all the time. You win some, you lose some. But if the animation looks ugly and feels bad to use, that's something that you are stuck with for a long time. So you have to speak up about it. The way it is now, I am not having fun playing Templar.

Not to mention that in this case the animation has everything to do with the lack of power, because the shorter animation allows you to weave more easily, which to the Devs justifies an additional nerf as the damage potential had otherwise gone up. But I liked that I didn't have to weave on Templars. That made things easier and using the skill felt more rewarding. So this change should be reverted in my opinion.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.