The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Templar jabs

• Grega
    Grega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gargath wrote: »
    Grega wrote: »
    Gargath wrote: »
    Recently my stamplar became my main, most efficient class, works great with jabs. Can't see anything wrong with this skill or it's animation.

Because it is recent for you so you don’t know how it was.
    I know how it was, for me it was good then, and now it's even better. I rather try to adapt to ever changing environment, like the minority does, instead of complaing every big update, like does the majority.
    By the way I play ESO since 06.08.2015, as my signature says :).

That’s totally fair and okay. It is acceptable to like then and now, for whatever reason. Adaptability is also acceptable and welcome.

However, it is also and should be also acceptable and okay to not like it. And since this particular complaining isn’t mindless, it actually has factual weight in LORE, it should also be okay to not be forced into adaptability against said LORE. (Explained in prior comments to the quote above).

Only unfair thing i see is generalization and putting into same basket “eternal complainers” and people who actually have factual reasons and don’t complain every update, but rather very seldom - which for animation specific issue the latter is the majority.
  • Captain_Devildog
    Captain_Devildog
    ✭✭✭✭
    This change is against the Lore and it is cringe to see..
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    and better sets (the class is hard carried by Azureblight).

Azure is great on plar, but being hard carried by a bug (because Azureblight says it procs off DoTs, which Jabs stopped being in 2019) feels terrible to me.
  • ProudMary
    ProudMary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a video from a stream team member on the topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgzLN7lNMcI

• Cendrillion21
    Cendrillion21
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This change is against the Lore and it is cringe to see..

100% agree. I still have hope that the changes to jabs will be reversed.
    Campos de oro
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...but it is better on trash (especially with jabs triggering plaguebreak on multiple enemies).
    yes, older and actual Jabs (really doesn't matter) are perfect spammable skill after Bombard (Arrow Spray morph), when used with plaguebreak, venomous and selistrix. Perfect bombing build to quickly anihilate large groups of mobs. Also good to lower health of minor bosses, when mobs are directed to their vicinity. Even after big nerf to Occult Overload, this combination still hits like a train.
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Still hoping so much for something positive in the pts patch notes concerning this....
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ProudMary wrote: »

Maybe ZOS might listen to the criticisms of one of their stream team members??? maybe??? I guess we can only hope.
  • Grega
    Grega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ProudMary wrote: »

Maybe ZOS might listen to the criticisms of one of their stream team members??? maybe??? I guess we can only hope.

I really hoped for that actually. Unfortunately he posted that while the jabs change was even still on PTS, let alone going live. They went with it anyway, and it’s been unchanged nearly 8 months later, still.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am really curious what "playstyle" OP is referring to? Getting jabs down to .8 seconds was objectively the right move from a combat perspective. They should have done that part years ago.

I will conceded two things.

One: They may have nerfed the damage a tad too much, but it only requires a very small buff to bring it to where it needs to be.

Two: The Motif of the spear was a bad choice, but graphically, its an upgrade.

Neither of these amount to playstyles or the class being ruined, and they certainly don't justify the amount of outrage we have seen on these forums.

• Grega
    Grega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am really curious what "playstyle" OP is referring to? Getting jabs down to .8 seconds was objectively the right move from a combat perspective. They should have done that part years ago.

One: They may have nerfed the damage a tad too much, but it only requires a very small buff to bring it to where it needs to be.

Neither of these amount to playstyles or the class being ruined, and they certainly don't justify the amount of outrage we have seen on these forums.

Well I guess they agree with that justification perspective, as there’s been literally no comments from them about it in all these months. Week 3 PTS also just posted, with no changes to Templar whatsoever (not ignoring the POTL nerf from week1).

I made peace with the changes months ago, and my builds simply don’t use class abilities to be able to do adequate damage compare to other classes (as all the influencers online that make builds have also dropped class abilities for stamplar).

I still have hope for some Templar improvements though, however futile.
  • bachpain
    bachpain
    ✭✭✭✭
    U35 killed the class identity of the templars. There is no other way to put it. I only use mine for crafting/random normal transmute farms now. #feelsbadman
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    bachpain wrote: »
    U35 killed the class identity of the templars. There is no other way to put it. I only use mine for crafting/random normal transmute farms now. #feelsbadman

Save the Templars
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
  • haelgaan
    haelgaan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    skzo69j8900k.png

• Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe there’s some tie in between the vampiric corruption of the templar class and the upcoming corruption of the followers of Mora. They did say two worlds were in jeopardy…. maybe we must save both a plane and a class at the same time. Of course, it’s more realistic to think that classes and visuals were nerfed to make the new class look more attractive, but who can really say.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep. I think it killed alot of things lol. Ah well.
    We Know...
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

If it were a graphical upgrade, why are the other spear animations the same? Partial upgrade? Should we expect more in the future?

If I remember correctly, the channel was shortened in Sumerset. That was roughly 4 and half years ago. Had they had made the adjustments then, I seriously doubt that this would be an issue.

The only good thing that came out of it was to sync the channel time and animation, and that came 4.5 years after the change.
  • UnabashedlyHonest
    UnabashedlyHonest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can someone please link to the thread or any instance anywhere where someone asked for the templar jabs animation to be changed to something that doesn't match the other three spear animations templars use?
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If it were a graphical upgrade, why are the other spear animations the same? Partial upgrade? Should we expect more in the future?

If I remember correctly, the channel was shortened in Sumerset. That was roughly 4 and half years ago. Had they had made the adjustments then, I seriously doubt that this would be an issue.

The only good thing that came out of it was to sync the channel time and animation, and that came 4.5 years after the change.

When I say graphically, its an update, I mean that the detail of the spear is much clearer. Again, I really question the motif that was selected for the spear, but it is much clearer to see. Said it many times, but they should figure out how to make the motif of the spear match the motif of the item in your main hand. That would be cool, and nobody could get fussed about it.

In terms of the length of the channel. Spear has been 1.0 seconds for a long time (it may have actually been a tad longer at one point, I have a vague memory that is was something like 1.3 way back, but I could totally be making that up).

This update was the first that brought it down to .8 seconds. That was an excellent move because it means you can cast without losing pace in your rotation and still weave a light attack. At one second, you by definition lost pace in your rotation when you weaved a light attack. Now of course, a player that couldnt maintain proper pace may not have noticed it, and a player that never weaved the skill, certainly just felt a damage nerf, but for anyone with near perfect pace, this was an improvement from a weaving/rotation standpoint. That said, I am not sure you should be balancing a class spammable around players who cant weave and have poor pace.

Where it got messy for me: Nerfing the damage was required when the skill duration was shortened. That makes sense. That said, it seems clear that they may have gone a touch too far. I have not parsed on templar in several months, but last time I tried, you were actually better off using shards as a class spammable instead of jabs, which of course is asinine.

In terms of playstyle, templar is still my go to if I just want to turn my brain off and play a oakensoul build for mindless dungeon runs. It is so easy to play and jabs is plenty strong for any vet content excluding perhaps certain trial hardmodes where you would probably want a better option taking up a melee spot. For 4 man, an oakensoul jab spammer is still probably the easiest class to play currently other than maybe a heavy attack pet sorc.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on 14 February 2023 17:04
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not a fan of the new animation that feels like scooping, or the chunky spear all that much, and certainly the way it's held with hands up almost to the blade; but what's more important to me is function. The aesthetics would be on the list but far enough down that they could do several other things and not address it and I'd be happy.

Unfortunately; they don't appear ready to do much of anything, and I'd bet this new animation is the last thing they'd do after talking about pride in their hard work to where they banned data mining talk on the forums. Coincidence that this animation showed up shortly after that statement? Maybe...
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am just so frustrated with the quality of the new animation. It looks like something that was thrown together by an intern in a couple of hours.

1) Shortening the animation increases the frequency we have to visually see our character holding dual daggers, or a greatsword, and then flashing to holding a spear, and back and forth. It looks awkward, it is immersion breaking.

2) Vampire staff motif obviously doesn’t fit with the lore of the class. And using a staff motif even if it looks vaguely similar to a spear is lazy when you should have just created a new spear model.

3) Now all other aedric spear abilities don’t match our main spammable.

4) You can see the staff model being sheathed on your back after every jabs cast. The translucent staff model vanishes after the cast, but the shadow of the staff sheaths on your back and it’s very noticeable. I’m assuming something about how the animation was created has the staff model being sheathed. This should be fixed so it doesn’t create a shadow.

5) The new animation looks much worse while weaving. While weaving the new animation, your character flings the spear out to the side before the third strike. It looks goofy.

Overall, the new animation looks like a project that a kid in high school put together the night before it was due. I’m not trying to be overly rude to the art team or whoever put this together, but it needs to be said that this is below the quality standards of a major game studio and a game of this level.

I hope that sometime in 2023 we actually get real new animations for all spear abilities so they match and are fun to look at and play with. Please give Templars a new spear model that looks cool.
    Edited by Stx on 14 February 2023 18:24
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vulkunne wrote: »

Killed a lot of things... and now we Templars can't kill anything 🫠
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
  • Grega
    Grega
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We can’t kill, but we can shovel 🤣
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

We just bury the things that better classes have killed, lol.
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And bless the grave with a Ritual or Focus, then say a Hasty Prayer for Remembrance and to Honor the Dead.
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How many Templar jab threads have I posted in that have mysteriously vanished off the forums, I wonder?

Still surprised that nobody has said anything about it. Not even a "it's staying, get used to it".
    Not one whit.

Certain people go on about how much the community complain about stuff, but at the end of the day, this is what happens when people have something they want addressing and are simply ignored.

People have been going on about jabs since U35. I am certain that ZOS could find time in their schedule between then and now to pop onto the forums and give a response.
    Even if the answer was not what we wanted, it'd stop people driving each other nuts in the echo chamber.
    Edited by LukosCreyden on 16 February 2023 08:18
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if the answer was not what we wanted, it'd stop people driving each other nuts in the echo chamber.

You think so? I'm pretty sure if ZOS says the new Jabs animation is going to stay people would still continue to request to get the old animation back.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That just allows us to dig our own grave after ZoS killed the class while giving DK a buff they didn’t need.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »

You think so? I'm pretty sure if ZOS says the new Jabs animation is going to stay people would still continue to request to get the old animation back.

ZOS has reversed course based upon player feedback (cross-healing, Light/heavy attack resource regen swap, etc) before, so it can never hurt to try. Besides, we should never turn our back on what's right just because someone suggests it.

Edited by Jaraal on 16 February 2023 17:03
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The issues is not just jabs in of itself, it is also the fact that they shafted burning light super hard and made it not synergise with jabs anymore, fix BL and jabs will get considerbly bite back, then it would be a matter of a simple 8% buff to the per-hit damage of jabs and ta-da the spamable is no longer garbage tier