The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Templar jabs

• Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New Jabs looks 100000000x better than the old animation. There I said it, I absolutely despised old Jabs.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • ProudMary
    ProudMary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    New Jabs looks 100000000x better than the old animation. There I said it, I absolutely despised old Jabs.

Should they change all the light spears templars use to the night hollow staff and add a wonky twist with every cast too? (there are at least 4 templar spear animations, and they only changed one to a night hollow stave and added the jerking and twisting motion) Jabs is the only animation they changed from the class defining spear of light animation to something totally off the wall and lore breaking. (templars are good guys. night hollow style is for vampires or evil) That's how wrong ZOS got it when they let the new jabs animation go through.

It seems like the people saying the like the new animation are the same players that wanted to see the templar class gutted; which is exactly what ZOS did with U35.
  • TaintedKurse
    TaintedKurse
    ✭✭✭
    Loved old jabs. Hate new jabs. I never imagined it as a physical spear. Just energy being used as one. Also, it feels more like stirring than stabbing.

It was jarring for me when they changed it. As it weirdly was one of my favorite animations despite how simple it is. It still bugs me to this day. I main a templar, and I wish I had an option to revert to classic animations.
    Edited by TaintedKurse on 5 February 2023 23:22
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Maybe you like to shovel. I don't.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I misread the title as "templar jobs"

And in my mind I went "is this about the jobs all of us templars will have to do as we retire from adventuring? Jabs and backlash do no damage, so I better go be a carpenter/miner/alchemist, etc."

Edit: I guess grave digger, miner, latrine digging, earthworks, excavation/archaeology are good choices. Put that derpy shovel to work.
    Edited by gariondavey on 6 February 2023 07:24
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • Nihilr
    Nihilr
    ✭✭✭
    I do wish the spear was a unique model, my husband played a templar for the first years of ESO--then deleted them. [snip]

Let's be honest: Templars were overpowered and the ability caused other players unnecesary lag with the excessive brightness and fast animation relative to other movements.

I've been planning to make a templar, now that it isn't some meta PvP class anymore. Oh, yeah--that's DK rn.

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 6 February 2023 18:59
  • CBreeze71
    CBreeze71
    ✭✭
    Removed Quotes

Whether anyone likes it or not this is the reality. Nothing is going to change. It's time to move on and enjoy what we can.

And yes, I believe OP is being attacked for sharing an opinion.

And to the poster who said that people who are not in agreement are the same people who wanted to gut Templar, that's a pretty big leap.

I myself am indifferent to the change, but I can completely understand how this change can be upsetting.

But, I'm not one to shout at rocks. Which is basically what everyone is doing. And it's painful to watch.

The only thing that can be changed at this point is your own ability to enjoy what you do have. Or, remove yourself from the situation.

Just like real life. Even though that's probably the last reason we are all here.

[Edited for removed quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on 8 February 2023 15:06
    XBX-NA | GenX | ChillAF | ESOEveryday | Guar Rancher | Mystical Bard of Tamriel
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    [Removed quote]

Its not that absurd. Some people choose their classes based off of the way that they look, they feel, and play. What ZOS did was change something fundamental to the class years into the life of the class. It wasnt an DOT or buff thats used once in a rotation, it was the spammable. A class defining ability for a lot of people.

It does have some positives. Its easier to weave now that the duration and animation are synced. If thats the most important thing to you, and to some it is, then its a net positive. On its own that would have been a good change, but, its been like that since, what? Sumerset? If we're fixing old bugs for the sake of fixing old bugs, how about the group finder?

[Edited for removed quotes]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on 8 February 2023 15:09
  • UnabashedlyHonest
    UnabashedlyHonest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CBreeze71 wrote: »
    maxjapank wrote: »
    Grega wrote: »

Welcome to the club. You are the only one in it.

I guess my club won and yours did not so... no reason to complain for me. I like the new Jabs animation. I stand by it. It's not going to change so better get used to the new one.

What a cheeky comment. I understand that you seem to like the new animation. But the reality is that it killed the feeling and fun for a lot, a lot...of long-time Templars. So you are happy to win over someone else's sorrow? That's not a great way to respond. Did you play a Templar as a main for years?

Excuse me? I came here and just said that I like the new animation. After I made that statement I was attacked by others. So my response to those attacks is the problem and not those attacks? Uhm…

Get used to the animation, that’s all I say. There’s no real discussion to be had in this case, ZOS went through with it and it most likely won’t change anyway. The sooner you accept it the better for your own sake.

Whether anyone likes it or not this is the reality. Nothing is going to change. It's time to move on and enjoy what we can.

And to the poster who said that people who are not in agreement are the same people who wanted to gut Templar, that's a pretty big leap.

I myself am indifferent to the change, but I can completely understand how this change can be upsetting.

But, I'm not one to shout at rocks. Which is basically what everyone is doing. And it's painful to watch.

The only thing that can be changed at this point is your own ability to enjoy what you do have. Or, remove yourself from the situation.

Just like real life. Even though that's probably the last reason we are all here.

No. It's not time to move on. It's time to complain about the absurd, spastic and unwanted change until the change is reverted.
  • UnabashedlyHonest
    UnabashedlyHonest
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They turned the jabs animation into a night hollow stave. It's not a spear anymore. It's a night hollow stave.

Edited by UnabashedlyHonest on 8 February 2023 16:00
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No. It's not time to move on. It's time to complain about the absurd, spastic and unwanted change until the change is reverted.

I mean you can, it won’t change anything though. I remember the outrage after they changed the Bosmer racials several years back, there was a very very loud very very small minority of players in the forum requesting readjustments - weeks passed, months passed, years passed and nothing changed. It will be the same in this case. Sure you can continue this discussion for the entire year and then go on next year ad infinitum - nothing will change though. The sooner you accept this and move on, the better for you.

[Edited for removed quotes]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on 8 February 2023 15:12
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I guess my club won and yours did not so... no reason to complain for me. I like the new Jabs animation. I stand by it. It's not going to change so better get used to the new one.

What a cheeky comment. I understand that you seem to like the new animation. But the reality is that it killed the feeling and fun for a lot, a lot...of long-time Templars. So you are happy to win over someone else's sorrow? That's not a great way to respond. Did you play a Templar as a main for years?

Excuse me? I came here and just said that I like the new animation. After I made that statement I was attacked by others. So my response to those attacks is the problem and not those attacks? Uhm…

Get used to the animation, that’s all I say. There’s no real discussion to be had in this case, ZOS went through with it and it most likely won’t change anyway. The sooner you accept it the better for your own sake.

I mean you can, it won’t change anything though. I remember the outrage after they changed the Bosmer racials several years back, there was a very very loud very very small minority of players in the forum requesting readjustments - weeks passed, months passed, years passed and nothing changed. It will be the same in this case. Sure you can continue this discussion for the entire year and then go on next year ad infinitum - nothing will change though. The sooner you accept this and move on, the better for you.

Keep saying that until something you love gets the same treatment... butchered so badly that you can't "move on". We're not going to stop.
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on 8 February 2023 15:14
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    [Removed quotes]

You think it’s childish to not want to play a class because the most used spell has a major aesthetic change (and major damage nerf)? Visuals are one of the main reason people choose their class. They turned a spear of light into an uncooked spaghetti noodle with a shovel head. The glow on the new spear is less intense, and new spear isn’t even a spear, it’s a staff motif. For people who know about making animations, this new animation is very poor quality.

[Edited to remove quotes]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on 8 February 2023 15:20
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

[snip] People have said this about countless changes, and guess what? Sometimes those changes are reverted. Update 35 is a perfect example. They reverted a lot of those changes because people were loud enough.

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 6 February 2023 19:01
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stx wrote: »

[snip] People have said this about countless changes, and guess what? Sometimes those changes are reverted. Update 35 is a perfect example. They reverted a lot of those changes because people were loud enough.

Those changes affected each and every player. The animation change for Jabs doesn’t even bother all Templar players.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 6 February 2023 19:02
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Those changes affected each and every player. The animation change for Jabs doesn’t even bother all Templar players.

That doesn’t change the logic of my statement. Telling players that are giving feedback to “just don’t, no one will listen” is non-constructive and blatantly false evidenced by history.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 6 February 2023 19:02
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You sound like a drone. People have said this about countless changes, and guess what? Sometimes those changes are reverted. Update 35 is a perfect example. They reverted a lot of those changes because people were loud enough.

That doesn’t change the logic of my statement. Telling players that are giving feedback to “just don’t, no one will listen” is non-constructive and blatantly false evidenced by history.

I never told you to not give feedback. I said it could be time to move on because you and a very small amount of other posters gave the exact feedback months ago. I mean, nothing has changed in the last weeks, all the arguments are the same. So while you indeed offer feedback, it’s still the same that was said half a year ago. Repeating that won’t make a change, but again, I‘m not dictating what you should or shouldn’t do. This just reminds me of the Bosmer racial discussion and that went nowhere.
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on 8 February 2023 15:22
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I never told you to not give feedback. I said it could be time to move on because you and a very small amount of other posters gave the exact feedback months ago. I mean, nothing has changed in the last weeks, all the arguments are the same. So while you indeed offer feedback, it’s still the same that was said half a year ago. Repeating that won’t make a change, but again, I‘m not dictating what you should or shouldn’t do. This just reminds me of the Bosmer racial discussion and that went nowhere.

Unfortunately that is most likely true.

Yes, its the same feedback as 6 months ago. I suppose its safe to say now that they're no longer knee jerk reactions.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 6 February 2023 19:04
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

1) You don’t know it won’t make a change, changes are implemented all the time due to repeated feedback.

2) “Very small amount of posters” is just inaccurate, sorry. Go look at any poll on the subject of jabs changes from u35. What metrics are you using to determine what a small amount of players qualifies as? Because any polling or long discussion thread about these changes is overwhelmingly against them.

3) Again, just telling people to stop giving feedback because you think it won’t make a difference isn’t constructive, helpful, or even accurate historically.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 6 February 2023 19:05
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1) You don’t know it won’t make a change, changes are implemented all the time due to repeated feedback.

2) “Very small amount of posters” is just inaccurate, sorry. Go look at any poll on the subject of jabs changes from u35. What metrics are you using to determine what a small amount of players qualifies as? Because any polling or long discussion thread about these changes is overwhelmingly against them.

3) Again, just telling people to stop giving feedback because you think it won’t make a difference isn’t constructive, helpful, or even accurate historically.

Nevermind, do what feels right for you. I like the new Jabs a lot more than the old, that’s why I came into this thread, to offer an opposing opinion. I prefer this new animation to stay and to never see the old animation again. Each to their own, this is my take on this topic.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 6 February 2023 19:05
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • mzprx
    mzprx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i've played my Templar for years. it used to be one of my two main characters. and after thinking long and hard i realised that i could live with the new animation. only because i have spent so much time with my Templar. what i could never live with is the shovel. as someone has already mentioned here, the old spear was not just a spear, it looked like a kind of energy representing itself as a spear of light. and although i play dark oriented characters (my now main character is a DK called the Blasphemer) and my Templar was not a warrior of light, but a corrupted mage that laughed maniacally in the face of enemies as he skewered them with his equally corrupted spear, i loved the Templar theme. mine used to be one of the holy warriors as well, then he got corrupted somehow somewhere and he became evil..

but now my evil corrupted Templar is making me cringe. hard. he no longer skewers enemies with his corrupted spear, he now slaps them with a shovel whilst performing some weird kind of jerky dance. he no longer laughs maniacally. now he grinds his teeth and wishes he was a construction worker, at least then he could put said shovel to a good use. he spends his nights staring into the fire, reminiscing about the old times and grudgingly reminding everyone who will listen that he used to be a feared warrior, not a laughing stock..

bring back the old spear model!
  • Tazzy
    Tazzy
    ✭✭✭
    mzprx wrote: »
    i've played my Templar for years. it used to be one of my two main characters. and after thinking long and hard i realised that i could live with the new animation. only because i have spent so much time with my Templar. what i could never live with is the shovel. as someone has already mentioned here, the old spear was not just a spear, it looked like a kind of energy representing itself as a spear of light. and although i play dark oriented characters (my now main character is a DK called the Blasphemer) and my Templar was not a warrior of light, but a corrupted mage that laughed maniacally in the face of enemies as he skewered them with his equally corrupted spear, i loved the Templar theme. mine used to be one of the holy warriors as well, then he got corrupted somehow somewhere and he became evil..

but now my evil corrupted Templar is making me cringe. hard. he no longer skewers enemies with his corrupted spear, he now slaps them with a shovel whilst performing some weird kind of jerky dance. he no longer laughs maniacally. now he grinds his teeth and wishes he was a construction worker, at least then he could put said shovel to a good use. he spends his nights staring into the fire, reminiscing about the old times and grudgingly reminding everyone who will listen that he used to be a feared warrior, not a laughing stock..

bring back the old spear model!

You made me laugh but I so much agree with you. For lots of players a char is more than a figure to play with, in their minds they weave a story around it and such major animation changes destroy this mind-stories. Usually I loved to watch my little Khajiit girl fighting by using Jabs or Flurry, now it somehow hurts . In my imagination, she is an experienced and focused fighter, the changed animation let hear appear like an uncontrolled novice. Sometimes I imagine, others around her stop fighting, point with their fingers on her and laugh loudly because of her 'strange' fighting style. What a nightmare....:)
    This one has no regrets *Raz
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After going through my transaction history on the accounts page I discovered that 2022 is the first year since release that I have spent no money at all on ESO.

It certainly is not all because of the butchering of Sweeps/Jabs, but it's definitely on the list.

Let's hope 2023 is different. If I am forced to get used to these Templar changes then the company may just have to get used to receiving no money from me. :(

• gwdodd
    gwdodd
    ✭✭✭
    Before the nerf I rolled thru Tamriel 100%, 7X with magplar. Easily my favorite class for years.
    When I realized how extensive the nerf was and how ridiculous the animation is, I culled my two templar lowbies and three writ slave retirees. No regrets.
    Makes me very sad and angry the decisions they made regarding templar, both the animation and the nerf.

On a good note, I created my first magcro and have been having fun again.

This being said, and much to the delight of my bank account, I have cut WAY back on crown store splurges and overall time spent in game. I'm no longer a fan of the devs and the game because of the changes made to templar.
    Platform: PC
    Server: NA
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ProudMary wrote: »

There is nothing wrong with you stating that you like the animation. But I bet you never felt like not playing a Templar with the old animation. So I don't really expect you to understand how any of us feel anyways.

Not wanting to play Templar because of one single animation just sounds so childish to me. I don't understand how anyone gets so worked up about this to not wanting to play Templar anymore. They turned that ugly spear of light into a real glowing spear. And that's a reason to not play your desired class anymore? Come on, this sounds so absurd to me.

That’s why I said I don’t expect you to understand. When you have played something for years and you love how it looks and feels, it is just really sad to suddenly be using the something so alien and different. It isn’t childish. And you’re saying so, while in your right, is just an acknowledgment that you haven’t a clue what we are talking about. In fact, you do not have a reason to even belittle us or our feelings. Even if the animation was changed back, you’d still continue playing your Templar. So why even continue in this thread. Is it the drama?

Why is my opinion less worthy than yours? Why does it seem like only the we despise the new Jabs group of people is allowed to have their opinion and post here? You try to invalidate my opinion with arguments like I don’t have a clue or I’m just posting here because of the drama.

Yet it’s not me who‘s creating all this drama here or is belittling anyone - I mean I have been constantly told in this thread by various people that my opinion means nothing, because it’s the wrong opinion to have. This is very hypocritical.

You never answered the question. Do you think all the templar spear animations should be changed to a night hollow stave? Should radial sweep, piercing javelin and spear shards also have their animation changed to be a night hollow stave instead of the spear of light they've always been as well? (so all the animations will match as they originally did?) Or do you think it's rational that only jabs should be changed to a jerky motion and a night hollow stave?

The only thing that needs to be changed as well is Sweep, Shards and Javelin are fine with their animation. And I don't care if it's the Night Hollow Staff or not, it looks nice and speary-enough in my opinion.

It looks like a shovel. I don't shovel anything.
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

There is nothing wrong with you stating that you like the animation. But I bet you never felt like not playing a Templar with the old animation. So I don't really expect you to understand how any of us feel anyways.

Not wanting to play Templar because of one single animation just sounds so childish to me. I don't understand how anyone gets so worked up about this to not wanting to play Templar anymore. They turned that ugly spear of light into a real glowing spear. And that's a reason to not play your desired class anymore? Come on, this sounds so absurd to me.

That’s why I said I don’t expect you to understand. When you have played something for years and you love how it looks and feels, it is just really sad to suddenly be using the something so alien and different. It isn’t childish. And you’re saying so, while in your right, is just an acknowledgment that you haven’t a clue what we are talking about. In fact, you do not have a reason to even belittle us or our feelings. Even if the animation was changed back, you’d still continue playing your Templar. So why even continue in this thread. Is it the drama?

Why is my opinion less worthy than yours? Why does it seem like only the we despise the new Jabs group of people is allowed to have their opinion and post here? You try to invalidate my opinion with arguments like I don’t have a clue or I’m just posting here because of the drama.

Yet it’s not me who‘s creating all this drama here or is belittling anyone - I mean I have been constantly told in this thread by various people that my opinion means nothing, because it’s the wrong opinion to have. This is very hypocritical.

You never answered the question. Do you think all the templar spear animations should be changed to a night hollow stave? Should radial sweep, piercing javelin and spear shards also have their animation changed to be a night hollow stave instead of the spear of light they've always been as well? (so all the animations will match as they originally did?) Or do you think it's rational that only jabs should be changed to a jerky motion and a night hollow stave?

The only thing that needs to be changed as well is Sweep, Shards and Javelin are fine with their animation. And I don't care if it's the Night Hollow Staff or not, it looks nice and speary-enough in my opinion.

It truly does. In motion as well.
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be a metal detector, too. It looks like the templar is prodding the enemy away from the spot with their vampiric contraption and then sweeping for coins. It would make sense from a lore perspective, seeing how the impoverished class is scrounging for whatever it can find to ease the pain of combat destitution.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Greetings,

We have recently removed some non-constructive comments as well as some unnecessary back and forth from this thread. Please ensure you are treating others with respect on the forums even when they have views that differ from your own. This is a reminder to keep the discussion civil and constructive. Please keep our Community Rules in mind moving forward.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on 8 February 2023 15:29
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS_Volpe wrote: »
    Greetings,

We have recently removed some non-constructive comments as well as some unnecessary back and forth from this thread. Please ensure you are treating others with respect on the forums even when they have views that differ from your own. This is a reminder to keep the discussion civil and constructive. Please keep our Community Rules in mind moving forward.

Thank you for your understanding.

Every time I see Dev interaction on a Templar thread, I end up hoping it was something besides thread editing... maybe soon.
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gargath wrote: »
    Recently my stamplar became my main, most efficient class, works great with jabs. Can't see anything wrong with this skill or it's animation.

Because it is recent for you so you don’t know how it was.
    I know how it was, for me it was good then, and now it's even better. I rather try to adapt to ever changing environment, like the minority does, instead of complaing every big update, like does the majority.
    By the way I play ESO since 06.08.2015, as my signature says :).

PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."