The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Console players - We want text typing chat?

• Snowstrider
    Snowstrider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, there has to be text chat in a MMO
    For all anti text chat people out there,Why cant we have both? You act like if text chat gets in the game you are forced to use it,You couldnt be more wrong,WE The pro-text chat people are being forced to use voice chat,I like the voice chat but i would never remove text chat if it was my choice. We could have both,It enchances the experience and give us more options,People dont want a dumbed down version of ESO. I hope we get alot of the options that the PC has,There are people who have been looking forward to this game for a long time now and they dont want to have a inferiour versions with not enough options like the pc one.

People who payed for the game should get what they deserve,The versions shouldnt be much different from eachother,it will just create massive rage and it seems like it already has..
    It splits the community even more,More then not having everyone being able to play on the same server (even if you are on different platforms like final fantasy)

I really hope ZoS listens to our feedback and realise that they just cant ignore people who maybe cant speak,cant hear good and so on,And some people may be easier talking to using text,maybe they have a accent you dont understand well,maybe they can read and write english better then they can speak ( i am one of them ) maybe some people are a little bit shy,And it will cause problems with the guild,trading and pvp chats. It will be harder to find people to group up with,Voice chat is awesome once people are in a group (if they even have headset plugged in and feel like speaking ) Oh also i forget about the RPers,It will be harder without text chat and i bet more people would just ruin their experience if they indeed try to rp with voice chat.

So ZoS Please listen to us,We just want the game to be as good as possible :) A good game should have plenty of options to suit peoples needs
    Edited by Snowstrider on 28 April 2015 22:43
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    I agree with Snowstrider. Just make sure it's docked to the side or bottom of the screen, and only pops up when a player accesses the on-screen keyboard, smartglass keyboard, or usb keyboard.

It would make it available to those that use it, maintain an open screen and seamless gameplay that ZOS is interested in, keeps it out of the way by default for those players who have no interest in it, and we're all happy.
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Snowstrider. Just make sure it's docked to the side or bottom of the screen, and only pops up when a player accesses the on-screen keyboard, smartglass keyboard, or usb keyboard.

It would make it available to those that use it, maintain an open screen and seamless gameplay that ZOS is interested in, keeps it out of the way by default for those players who have no interest in it, and we're all happy.

LoL...that would be pointless no? The reason you would type in a text chat box is in reply to what you SEE in the chat box. If it's not up unless you initiate it, it would be pointless to have at all.

I've kinda beat a dead horse on this one with you. The chat box in the PC version is very flexible and non-intrusive. I made a tab that allows me to turn off all text when I don't want to be bothered. The chat box disappears completely and never shows up again until I hover over the area with my mouse cursor or I hit enter on the keyboard. Still a extremely minimalist UI.

▬ஜ Seeds of War, Piles of Skulls ஜ▬
    ▬▬▬ஜ twitch.tv/uberkull ஜ▬▬▬
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    uberkull wrote: »

LoL...that would be pointless no? The reason you would type in a text chat box is in reply to what you SEE in the chat box. If it's not up unless you initiate it, it would be pointless to have at all.

I've kinda beat a dead horse on this one with you. The chat box in the PC version is very flexible and non-intrusive. I made a tab that allows me to turn off all text when I don't want to be bothered. The chat box disappears completely and never shows up again until I hover over the area with my mouse cursor or I hit enter on the keyboard. Still a extremely minimalist UI.

I kinda agree that if it's added I want to be able to completely hide it too. I like the clean screen as is on console.
    I'll loosen up and give in....make everyone happy

Which would be pointless but it'll stop the threads
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Mirra_Halfelven
    Mirra_Halfelven
    ✭✭✭

I kinda agree that if it's added I want to be able to completely hide it too. I like the clean screen as is on console.

Won't stop the threads till we see ZOS saying text chat is back in :p

Mirra Halfelven, Templar Troublemaker
    Daggerfall Covenant - PS4 NA
    PSN: Scooby_609
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough

The thing that makes text chat superior, is that what is said stays up and can be reviewed.

If a player wants to see what is said, they can pull up the chat box. If they are in the middle of a conversation, they can pull up the chat box. Even make a very quick and easy to access option that makes the chat box stay up permanently.

But if a player doesn't have a wireless keyboard on hand (i.e. arguably most console players), then having a text box on by default on their screen, which they can only respond to by using a smartphone/tablet which they may not even own or by using the on-screen keyboard (cumbersome, and blocks over half the screen when in use), can cause considerable consternation.

By all means, keep making your points. I understand them, and disagree, but I'm not arrogant enough to feel that this makes you wrong or me right. I dont' disagree that the devs should provide the capability to use text chat on consoles, just that putting it in such a significant, eye-catching and always on position would betray more of the console playerbase and alienate a large portion of those the game is aimed at.

The current form looks and runs great. Throwing a snap-off text box would add many more options and please your PC crowd without pushing away the console playerbase.

Why is that not a win/win?

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough

Hahaha ... wouldn't stop some posters from coming on and asking for it to be removed. Not me, but others. Every dicesion has it's contestors.

XBOX NA

• Mirra_Halfelven
    Mirra_Halfelven
    ✭✭✭

The thing that makes text chat superior, is that what is said stays up and can be reviewed.

If a player wants to see what is said, they can pull up the chat box. If they are in the middle of a conversation, they can pull up the chat box. Even make a very quick and easy to access option that makes the chat box stay up permanently.

But if a player doesn't have a wireless keyboard on hand (i.e. arguably most console players), then having a text box on by default on their screen, which they can only respond to by using a smartphone/tablet which they may not even own or by using the on-screen keyboard (cumbersome, and blocks over half the screen when in use), can cause considerable consternation.

By all means, keep making your points. I understand them, and disagree, but I'm not arrogant enough to feel that this makes you wrong or me right. I dont' disagree that the devs should provide the capability to use text chat on consoles, just that putting it in such a significant, eye-catching and always on position would betray more of the console playerbase and alienate a large portion of those the game is aimed at.

The current form looks and runs great. Throwing a snap-off text box would add many more options and please your PC crowd without pushing away the console playerbase.

I could care less if you want to turn off/hide text chat .... just let us have the option to have it there in the 1st place is all we are asking for.

• NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough

+1
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough

At least the text chat isn't going on sale in the crown store. (full console upgrade)
    -5000 crowns add text chat
    -5000 crowns disable voice chat
    :-)
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough

I could care less if you want to turn off/hide text chat .... just let us have the option to have it there in the 1st place is all we are asking for.

I'm there with that. Add it in, out of the way but usable by those who need it.

XBOX NA

• Mirra_Halfelven
    Mirra_Halfelven
    ✭✭✭
    Ok good ... so "MOST" of us can agree on having text chat long as we have some way to turn it off / hide it for those who don't want to see it?

Can we now move on towards trying to get text chat added back in for those who need / want it for varrious reasons?
  • Mirra_Halfelven
    Mirra_Halfelven
    ✭✭✭

At least the text chat isn't going on sale in the crown store. (full console upgrade)
    -5000 crowns add text chat
    -5000 crowns disable voice chat
    :-)

Don't give them any idea's

Although I would be willing to pay a small amount (say 200-500 crowns each) for UI mods on the console, but that's an arguement for a whole other thread :D

• NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    Ok good ... so "MOST" of us can agree on having text chat long as we have some way to turn it off / hide it for those who don't want to see it?

Can we now move on towards trying to get text chat added back in for those who need / want it for varrious reasons?

I think we can all agree on that but the logic of that agreement is...what's the point

Now maybe it's OK tho so we just end up with a text chat group/guilds and a voice chat group/guilds

I guess it works out in the end. But both groups want more UI customization for either so yeah
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Since you are ignoring my posts where I continually tell you how to turn off the current PC chat box, I'll point out one last time the only things thats needed....

STEP 1) TAKE THE CHAT BOX THATS IN THE ESO PC VERSION AND PUT IT ONTO THE CONSOLE. It's already perfect. That is all, that's it. If you add exactly what's already there on the PC version, you get all the chat options that are already there, add tab, turn off channels, change colors, transparency setting, all of it.

STEP 2) Add the appropriate API code to interact with the USB interface, looking for the Enter key event being pressed. When that happens, put the cursor in the chat text field.

That's your win/win.
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough

I think my take is more 'we have some way to turn it on / make it visible for those who want to see it', but yeah.

Now as far as 'moving on', well, there's not much we can do. We're just enjoying a conversation. Whether the devs change it or not, I hope, is based on far more than this forums feedback.

XBOX NA

• Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough

Since you are ignoring my posts where I continually tell you how to turn off the current PC chat box, I'll point out one last time the only things thats needed....

STEP 1) TAKE THE CHAT BOX THATS IN THE ESO PC VERSION AND PUT IT ONTO THE CONSOLE. It's already perfect. That is all, that's it. If you add exactly what's already there on the PC version, you get all the chat options that are already there, add tab, turn off channels, change colors, transparency setting, all of it.

STEP 2) Add the appropriate API code to interact with the USB interface, looking for the Enter key event being pressed. When that happens, put the cursor in the chat text field.

That's your win/win.

I don't think the chat box from the PC version is that great, because without a mouse, it's going to be awfully clunky to access features and settings. Plus, it doesn't dock and stay off the screen by default. Plus it has significant sizing issues for many televisions.

Off by default is my preference, and I feel it will have a significant negative impact on many (if not most) console gamers who don't by default use text or keyboards and who would then be out of place in responding without using clunky on-screen keyboards which then prevent them from reading ongoing text.

I'm not frustrated by your insistence that PC does it best. I simply disagree, and we've both made our points, so if you feel I'm ignoring you, it's more rationally that you're repeating points we've both discussed and I feel it more pertinent to address other things. Nothing against you personally at all.

XBOX NA

• aConsoleCouple
    I've been saying yes to wanting a Text Chat but I do have to agree, it has to be able to be hidden. So that those that do not want it or those that want to take a break from it, don't have to put up with it there.

• DullBoyJack2011
    DullBoyJack2011
    Soul Shriven
    I agree, text chat will add a lot to the game on consoles, but needs to be optional. Sadly, I don't believe ZOS will be adding keyboard support, so we will be stuck with the wonky virtual keyboard at best. Better than nothing, though. I play on Mac and the text box doesn't bother me much. Played the Beta all weekend and really liked it, minus the few infinite load screens.

Oh yeah, currently have ESO pre-ordered for Xbox One and PS4, if anyone was wondering.
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Added a quick video of Warframes console chat on Xbox One (pretty raw, so cut me some slack)
    LINK

This shows is can be done. Also this supposedly works seemlessly with a USB keyboard in Warframe .

Edited by Uberkull on 29 April 2015 05:31
  • Mirra_Halfelven
    Mirra_Halfelven
    ✭✭✭
    Added a quick video of Warframes console chat on Xbox One (pretty raw, so cut me some slack)
    LINK

This shows is can be done. Also this supposedly works seemlessly with a USB keyboard in Warframe also.

Link is broken :|
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LINK

This shows is can be done. Also this supposedly works seemlessly with a USB keyboard in Warframe also.

Link is broken :|

Updated. Also moved the info to page one.

LINK
  • Mirra_Halfelven
    Mirra_Halfelven
    ✭✭✭
    @uberkull ugh just watched the video, works ... but huge inscreen pop-ups & crap

I would definitely go the usb keyboard route if I had a Xbox One. No inscreen pop-ups & simple, just hit enter for cursor on the text window, type out your messge, hit enter again to send.

Luckly you can pick up a usb keyboard on the cheap, prolly around $10 or so for a wired one, $20-25 for a wireless one at your local Wallymart or where ever.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    In another beta post...someone wrote:
    No one wants limitations pc nor console should be limit3d. Which i think is happening now. New experience? No way, its more like going back in time without communication voice wont be used that much ingame, look at bf4 tactical game no one talks to the entire team why not? Because no one wants to hear strangers or music or kids or crying babys ect ect many more reasons but no one seems to care

My Response:
    While the "limitation" of not having text chat is viewed as such by some, there is also the view that adding text chat creates a "limitation" to voice chat use for others. It's also interesting that comparison are being made that no text chat is going "back in time" because from the games I played 20 years ago that were MMO's the voice chat was never an option. It's also interesting that the extent PC MMO players go interestingly expensive extents to have a great voice chat experience so it would seem evident that voice chat is a step into the future rather than a step backwards.

Background noises...Well voice chat has been with us since ps2 and the original Xbox along with text chat. Text chat has the same annoyances but those appear differently. The spamming and whispers to buy gold or traders and people lfg spamming zone chats. Or even just the hourly trolls in zone chat or those who think zone chat is their personal blog.

All in all each persons perspective will determine how they see this.
    I see the valid points for text chat and don't feel that those in favor of not having text chat are in any way "limiting" anyone else's experiences. ZOS decided not to put text chat into the game so if anything, the anger should be towards the company rather than any player in support of the company.

In the end...the game plays well and the absence of text chat will be a breath of fresh air for some. Others claim they will cancel their pre-orders. Honestly, if text chat is a make it or break it then the game isn't going to hold those players anyways. If text chat is the only reason you want to play MMO games so that if the option is not available you're not interested....maybe even the PC version won't hold you until controller support is added.

It comes off to some as mean when people say, we'll go back to PC, but in this situation, a feature that is deemed "required" in your eyes exists on another platform. And it exists in the ways you want it to. It's a logical idea to spend money for experiences that match your desires and not to participate if something doesn't match your desires. It's not otherwise logical to spend money on things you don't like and while it's always ok to suggest that a company changed its product...one product already fits you.

I think ZOS has created a way for everyone to already get what they want but this requires us to choose a platform as such
    Respectfully and not saying or pushing anyone around but let's be real with one another.
    These are the current options with more support and compatibility coming to PC very soon.
  • Heromofo
    Heromofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dam 73 percent even if you half that you gotta listen to that amount.

Always pegged 1 vote to a 1000 when it comes to the forums.
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @uberkull ugh just watched the video, works ... but huge inscreen pop-ups & crap

I would definitely go the usb keyboard route if I had a Xbox One. No inscreen pop-ups & simple, just hit enter for cursor on the text window, type out your messge, hit enter again to send.

Luckly you can pick up a usb keyboard on the cheap, prolly around $10 or so for a wired one, $20-25 for a wireless one at your local Wallymart or where ever.

I didn't fiddle with size the text chat box in Warframe. I just wanted to show that it's actually a very adequate solution.

Even with a USB keyboard on Warframe it's the same. When you press X you will get the keyboard pop up on the TV. I honestly don't mind it, I never was one that typed and battled in combat on MMOs...it really not possible. You hotkeyyed common things to say to one button.

@NewBlacksmurf - on the fact of having no text chat and players no buying the game. My prediction goes beyond that. Give the game a month or two with no text chat and you'll see players drop off because you can't be as productive in crafting(can't gain all the mats needed) and selling goods, along with PVP suffering. People will miss out on the full experience in these areas because of no text chat, and think the game is boring and leave.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough

@NewBlacksmurf - on the fact of having no text chat and players no buying the game. My prediction goes beyond that. Give the game a month or two with no text chat and you'll see players drop off because you can't be as productive in crafting(can't gain all the mats needed) and selling goods, along with PVP suffering. People will miss out on the full experience in these areas because of no text chat, and think the game is boring and leave.

That is your opinion again and a big prediction without any substantiated data.
    Just realize that everyone doesn't think the way you do and that there are players who will leave or drop off if the BETa console version is changed too. There was not a lot of chatter from those on console who never played MMO games just the PC MMO crowd. Some but not a lot of "I'm not buying this anymore" but more, can they add it, if not I'm good either way. Ppl will leave cause they don't like it, cause they aren't comfortable using their voices or any other reasons.

There are also those who will join because they don't type well and can use their voice.

The larger criticisms when PC launched was...blah, this isn't even close to Skyrim or Oblivion. Why did they make a game with a subscription and why can't I use my controller to play. I want a game that me and my buddies can play without all the MMO stuff tied to it. This isn't a idea that some have but a very valid criticism.

ZOS has set their marketing platform and made a lot of adjustments so that maybe...the console version addresses the customers valid criticisms. For the PC model they are making adjustments as well that in my opinion largely address more compatability than console.

Each platform now will have "options" so that no one is forced to play a certain way. Now that isn't without choosing the experience by platform but there are options today that meet multiple valid criticisms.

I think the players including myself should find the experience that best fits them and go with it. For some that may mean another game but in all fairness....for free we all know what to expect on each platform more than 30 days out.

That's fair
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on 29 April 2015 12:36
  • Heromofo
    Heromofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is your opinion again and a big prediction without any substantiated data.
    Just realize that everyone doesn't think the way you do and that there are players who will leave or drop off. Ppl will leave cause they don't like it, cause they aren't comfortable using their voices or any other reasons.

There are also those who will join because they don't type well and can use their voice.

The larger criticisms when PC launched was...blah, this isn't even close to Skyrim or Oblivion. Why did they make a game with a subscription and why can't I use my controller to play. I want a game that me and my buddies can play without all the MMO stuff tied to it. This isn't a idea that some have but a very valid criticism.

ZOS has set their marketing platform and made a lot of adjustments so that maybe...the console version addresses the customers valid criticisms. For the PC model they are making adjustments as well that in my opinion largely address more compatability than console.

Each platform now will have "options" so that no one is forced to play a certain way. Now that isn't without choosing the experience by platform but there are options today that meet multiple valid criticisms.

I think the players including myself should find the experience that best fits them and go with it. For some that may mean another game but in all fairness....for free we all know what to expect on each platform more than 30 days out.

That's fair

I do agree everyone should be able to play the way that best fits there style
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    And...if I can add

It's not about winning or loosing the argument but realizing that ZOS the company is and has been listening since 2013!!!
    How awesome is it that very soon the same game can entertain two to three different audiences simultaneously.

That in my opinion is where we all need to point out attention.

Are there lingering issues, yes, is everyone happy, no but do we have options...YES we have A LOT of options
    This game is one of the very few that is positioned to capture a lot of different audiences in one game
    PC, PC casuals, PC elitist, console casuals, console elitist, curious PC/console, TES fans all around, handicap, verbal and auditory challenged, controller and voice chats people.

This is a job well done in just 12-18 months

• Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And...if I can add

It's not about winning or loosing the argument but realizing that ZOS the company is and has been listening since 2013!!!
    How awesome is it that very soon the same game can entertain two to three different audiences simultaneously.

That in my opinion is where we all need to point out attention.

Are there lingering issues, yes, is everyone happy, no but do we have options...YES we have A LOT of options
    This game is one of the very few that is positioned to capture a lot of different audiences in one game
    PC, PC casuals, PC elitist, console casuals, console elitist, curious PC/console, TES fans all around, handicap, verbal and auditory challenged, controller and voice chats people.

This is a job well done in just 12-18 months

Im pretty sure the only point I made this poll for is to get the opinion of the community that plans to play on console. I never would have made this poll if ZOS didn't originally announce in their VLog that they WOULD have text chat ('everything that's on PC will be there on console, including text chat'), then posted they were pulling it.

Why would I care to put all this effort in if I didn't support ZOS and this game? I'm a MMO veteran, with 10 years with WoW...along with numerous other PC MMOs. Now that next gen is bringing some solid MMOs to the cinsole, I want ESO to succeed.

So I'm pushing for text chat because I'm 'predicting' that people may not get the full MMO experience, especially those that are new to MMOs, without a text chat system. Then they finish the solo story and leave.

Seeing productive and positive conversations in text chat when you login to a MMO add to the social experience that there are real people doing things, not just some single player npcs. Sure, there are also the negatives of text chat, but as in real life...you should be able to filter those out, ignore them. I do however always get entertained by the text chat banter I see at times, it's comical.

The poll speaks for itself. A poll in a PC forum where people know MMOs best.
This discussion has been closed.