The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Console players - We want text typing chat?

• Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    uberkull wrote: »
    I dont get it either

Ever time a valid point for text chat is brought up the "x-bro's" come up with non-sense agruements as to why they don't any text chat at all.

Seems like all they want is a single player game with lobbies for dungeons, raids, & PvP :/

That isn't a MMO at all ....

[snip] [snip]

I don't really believe that, but blatant obfuscation of valid points on both sides is what it is. I'm sure there are console players who do not see why text is necessary, because they play every day all day without it. And I'm sure there are PC players who do not understand how you can play without a keyboard in front of you.

But there are actual, valid points, brought up in this post and many others, that show why it would be good and why it would be bad. In the end, all we as the playerbase are doing is expressing different arguments and hoping that ZOS sees them and sides with our own personal opinions.

For console, you still are comparing apples to oranges. Over the decades of playing console games, as you put it, you haven't had games that had 1000's of players in a single server potentially playing at the same time, in the same area. With these 'Mega Servers' that's a real possibility. So console players have no idea what's coming.

And the thing is, the common console player will discard the game after a month since they will feel that it's just another Destiny because the game 'feels' so solo. Finish the solo quest chain and I'm done. Craft a set over and over, good enough. Some might not even know about Guild traders and how to SELL their items, so they'll sell to NPCs and pile up gold for nothing. This is mainly because there is no text chat constantly giving life and education to the environment, a life that comes with the good and the bad that plagues text chat. But the nice thing is, I can turn it off if I get tired of it as I explained in earlier posts.

The only game that's ever come close to thousands was EvE. Otherwise, you're dealing with several hundred, at best, in ESO. In Cyrodiil. And it's caused the game no end of problems.

Which of course is why, despite two decades plus of development in the MMO world, they still lag out and perform like crap. Because some of them keep trying to put more and more players together, and the infrastructure to do so is simply not there.

Neverwinter includes a good sized, 80 or so players, but in non-combat environments. It works. Battlefield 4 gets 64 players, but that includes a fairly high graphic fidelity (higher than ESO), and includes destructible environments and vehicles.

To me, the connection between console based multiplayer and MMO's is far more real and easier to accomplish than the reticent and reluctant MMO PC diehards are willing to admit. And I feel ESO will benefit greatly from limiting player interaction, much in the same way Destiny chose to.

And to your comment on Destiny ... I've still got a fairly large friends list that is still playing. I'm still playing (though on one hand, I'm waiting on the May 9th expansion too). I have no issues finding groups. Sure, there was a massive three month pickup where players came and went in large numbers, but the exact same thing happened to ESO and will happen to ESO on consoles.

Whether ESO has the lifespan to keep players as long as Destiny has done, is a rather moot point. While Destiny is solid, runs great, has few issues in general and has brought a touch of the MMO to an FPS (here's looking at you in annoyance, PlanetSide 2), ESO will bring much more content, a far larger and more immersive world, and much more detail and interaction to the world of multiplayer console gaming.

You insist it's apples and oranges. I insist that if MMO developers kept thinking that, the genre would continue to die. Unable to advance and evolve.

And I think the things that are frustrating many posters here the most, is that they see that ZOS is willing to evolve. Shorter skill bar, mouse focused, first-person support, etc. So many mechanics complained about since beta, and all of them strengths to an audience that the average PC player doesn't understand, or at least refuses to.

Since I'm both, I'm game with the evolution. Dark Age of Camelot realm fighting on a consoles dedicated hardware interaction with hard-line voice support and well-tuned non-class focus? Yes please!

[Moderator Note: Edited moderated quote]
    Edited by ZOS_ArtG on 28 April 2015 16:59
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, there has to be text chat in a MMO
    So I wanted to put out a example of something that will be completely missing without text chat, and also give visual I threw together to what it could potentially look like if we had text chat with a keyboard on a external app like a Ipad or smart phone.

The problem scenario. I found a great item that I want to sell, or trade, to another player. First I need to find that player, so I need to advertise it. Ok, ok...we get it, we get that you will not have 'WTS' spam without text chat.

But realize that one of the best things to come into MMOs over the past decade is the ability to link your items in chat that allows potential buyers to view the items stats, and in some MMO games even preview how it looks. This immediate advertisement makes for a quick sale, or the ability to negotiate with a buyer that wants to buy the item at a different price then you posted. The Guild store is not a auction house in this game, it's a set price...no bidding. You could never get a sale on a item because you either A) put it up for too much or B ) you get undercut constantly. This is why people use chat to link items to sell, it's a fun factor for the trade pro who enjoys the bartering with his potential customers in real time. You won't do that with Voice, no one is going to be saying 'Want to buy stack of jute' in Davons Watch proximity voice chat...get real.

So here is what it could look like:
    - This is the SmartGlass app on Xbox One, running on a Ipad. I have added a image of the keyboard over the ESO screen, but understand it will be in your hands on the iPad or Android.
    - The player would activate the chat ability by selecting the appropriate button combo mapped on the controller, LB+Left Dpad for example
    - The SmartGlass keyboard is up and active the entire time, you just have to swipe the screen to make it 'listen' and interact with the chat box that is on the screen.
    - While in chat mode, the buttons, like Y in this case would change to do other things. For this example, Y is mapped to 'Link Item'. Pressing this on the iPad would tell ESO to bring up the regular inventory screen where you can navigate by swiping up and down the iPad screen. Get to the item you want to link and confirm by selecting A.
    - All the normal keyboard function work as expected.
    - The Chatbox would fade away completely if there is no activity after a certain amount of time, set by the player in options. This occurs today in the PC if you set it right.
    wDrh206.jpg
    Edited by Uberkull on 28 April 2015 17:07
    ▬ஜ Seeds of War, Piles of Skulls ஜ▬
    ▬▬▬ஜ twitch.tv/uberkull ஜ▬▬▬
  • djnapstyb14_ESO
    djnapstyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    Thought having text chat would be important, but i ended up having really great social interactions in the beta.
    EP FOR LIFE
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thought having text chat would be important, but i ended up having really great social interactions in the beta.
    Beta was way to short, and no one was buying and selling items. Crafting, buying and selling goods, and gaining better items is all part of a MMO. That wasn't there in this short beta. I heard one guy saying in a video that he felt like a fool standing in town, saying in proximity voice chat 'Want to buy Jute'...seriously, that was a comical visual.

Just think of the looks your significant other would give you as your sitting there saying 'Want to buy raw Jute', over and over....and over. Seriously...
  • Mirra_Halfelven
    Mirra_Halfelven
    ✭✭✭

That's great for you, but what about the people who can't or won't use voice chat for whatever reason?

What about the person who lost or broke thier headset?
    What about the person who lives in a noisey household, likes to blast music while playing etc?
    What about deaf or mute players?
    What about female players (not some guy pretending) that don't want to deal with being hassled all the time?
    What about players who English isn't thier 1st spoken language?

Guess they don't matter ....
    Mirra Halfelven, Templar Troublemaker
    Daggerfall Covenant - PS4 NA
    PSN: Scooby_609
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    So I wanted to put out a example of something that will be completely missing without text chat, and also give a created a visual to what it could potentially look like if we had text chat with a keyboard on a external app like a Ipad or smart phone.

The problem scenario. I found a great item that I want to sell, or trade, to another player. First I need to find that player, so I need to advertise it. Ok, ok...you are saying, we get that you will not have 'WTS' spam without text chat.

But realize that one of the best things to come into MMOs over the past decade is the ability to link your items in chat that allows potential buyers to view the items stats, and in some MMO games even preview how it looks. This immediate advertisement makes for a quick sale, or the ability to negotiate with a buyer that wants to buy the item at a different price then you posted. The Guild store is not a auction house in this game, it's a set price...no bidding. You could never get a sale on a item because you either A) put it up for too much or B ) you get undercut constantly. This is why people use chat to link items to sell, it's a fun factor for the trade pro who enjoys the bartering with his potential customers in real time. You won't do that with Voice, no one is going to be saying 'Want to buy stack of jute' in Davons Watch proximity voice chat...get real.

So here is what it could look like:
    - This is the SmartGlass app on Xbox One, running on a Ipad. I have added a image of the keyboard over the ESO screen, but understand it will be in your hands on the iPad or Android.
    - The player would activate the chat ability by selecting the appropriate button combo mapped on the controller, LB+Left Dpad for example
    - The SmartGlass keyboard is up and active the entire time, you just have to swipe the screen to make it 'listen' and interact with the chat box that is on the screen.
    - While in chat mode, the buttons, like Y in this case would change to do other things. For this example, Y is mapped to 'Link Item'. Pressing this on the iPad would tell ESO to bring up the regular inventory screen where you can navigate by swiping up and down the iPad screen. Get to the item you want to link and confirm by selecting A.
    - All the normal keyboard function work as expected.
    - The Chatbox would fade away completely if there is no activity after a certain amount of time, set by the player in options. This occurs today in the PC if you set it right.
    wDrh206.jpg

I don't mind that. But would like it switched to a companion ap. The actual text window itself, not just the typing. It's not a matter of chat box fade (as then, every time someone spams something else, it's up again), or chat box removal (as then you might miss that group invite you need or a good conversation)

Give us the ability to second screen the entire chat box itself. That way when I want to talk with text, it's on my tablet or smartphone. Or dock the screen to 'hide when not in use' along the side or bottom. And when I want to play, my screen is free of distractions. Item linking and on-demand communication is still available, just out of the way.

No, this matter doesn't have to be an either/or decision, it can be both. But the concept of having a fading chatbox is, in my opinion, NOT a solution for console players, and an aggrevation to have to customize. Let players turn it on, but have it off by default. Encourage the use of the LFG tool and voice.

Those that want a traditional system of play-by-text can still do so.

Of course, the problem with giving players this option, is that it will undermine why text chat is so useful in the PC world. It's an almost always on, always available, and annoyingly present system that gives an audience for the spam. If it was out of the way, hidden, or any less prevalent than it currently is, its usefulness as a LFG/Trade/Recruitment tool would be lessened or even made invalid, leaving it only as a means to communicate with other players who intend to talk that way ... roleplayers, guild meetings, etc.

Which of course is fine. I just don't know if those players who are pushing so strongly for text to be switched understand what it actually would mean to the usefullness of text to have it completely, entirely optional.

I can see it being added and being optional. And then I predict the posters coming here saying it should be on by default, always there, because nobody is buying from their trade channels cause few enough people are using it full time. Or nobodies listening to their directions in cyrodiil because as they are playing and talking, they aren't reading little print.

This issue goes further and further, and I just think many are ignoring it's deeper implications for the sake of more instant familiarity and comfortability.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough

That's great for you, but what about the people who can't or won't use voice chat for whatever reason?

What about the person who lives in a noisey household, likes to blast music while playing etc?
    What about female players (not some guy pretending) that don't want to deal with being hassled all the time?

How do they play multiplayer games right now on consoles? I'm sure there are many, many players who play online, present, multiplayer games who do not have a mic or won't use one. Those players you mention, and those problems, are occuring already in many, many games that do not have keyboard support. How come there isn't a larger cry to add text based communication to every game out there where you might have to group up and work together to accomplish content goals?

Serious question. Not sarcastic. I think the question alone shines light on the actual 'immediacy' of the problem, and how unfamiliar some players may be with console multiplayer, and the mentality on how such 'silent communication' should be handled.

XBOX NA

• Mirra_Halfelven
    Mirra_Halfelven
    ✭✭✭

How do they play multiplayer games right now on consoles? I'm sure there are many, many players who play online, present, multiplayer games who do not have a mic or won't use one. Those players you mention, and those problems, are occuring already in many, many games that do not have keyboard support. How come there isn't a larger cry to add text based communication to every game out there where you might have to group up and work together to accomplish content goals?

Serious question. Not sarcastic. I think the question alone shines light on the actual 'immediacy' of the problem, and how unfamiliar some players may be with console multiplayer, and the mentality on how such 'silent communication' should be handled.

Well every other MMORPG HAS TEXT CHAT ... that's how, do you need to talk to play alot of console games that aren't MMORPG's? ... no

Can I hop on BF4 or Destiny or Halo & play without using a headset or talking, sure, but then again none of those are MMORPG's ESO is.
    Edited by Mirra_Halfelven on 28 April 2015 16:51
  • KrisButtar
    KrisButtar
    ✭✭✭
    I'll like to say whatever ZOS decides I hope its not or just limited to a companion app or second screen option because I don't own a smartphone or tablet and wouldn't want to continue looking away from my 55" if I did.
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, you are comparing traditional multiplayer console games with Massively Multiplayer Online games. And according to the poll, there is a overwhelming amount of people that want text chat, or if it's not there...their not buying.

We live in a word of text chat, you seem rather educated and I know you are in tune with the trend in society. For two decades we've had instant messaging, we communicate at work across development teams with IM. We flood the 4g networks with text messages to anyone who will read them. We see constant media on Twitter feeds and other text based social media. Text is dominate across social interaction society, voice isn't. I would bet people text more than the talk now on phones, I know I do.

Text is the defacto standard, not Voice.

Edited by Uberkull on 28 April 2015 17:02
  • Heromofo
    Heromofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like there will alot to talk about in the next eso live. I do hope they dont avoid the question or give a maybe later answer.
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KrisButtar wrote: »
    I'll like to say whatever ZOS decides I hope its not or just limited to a companion app or second screen option because I don't own a smartphone or tablet and wouldn't want to continue looking away from my 55" if I did.

51rCqHzK64L._SY300_.jpg
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    good comments going on...
    just wanting to make sure people understand that on Xbox One...based on how other keyboard chat works.

It requires a controller to activate chat (and then the virtual keyboard appears on the screen pausing gameplay) then you can type on your keyboard or use the virtual keyboard, then grab the controller hit "start" to send the text into whatever field.

Also, based on the ENTER and "/" keys not working at all until the controller is used, the addition of text chat, as far as the Xbox One version would be a VERY POOR implementation.

For those who speak to gaming without text chat as inferior....trust me, if added, based on how it functions on Xbox One, the term "inferior" would be an understatement.

(Not sure if I posted this already)
    I think the folks who are for adding text to chat are somehow under the impression that doing so also activates the keyboard for 100%support of the keys. That is not how it works, at least on xbox one, so what you end up with is people having to literally stop, drop the controller and type out a message, while their gameplay is paused and completely blocked, and the only way to get back to gameplay is to use the controller.

I guess you can use smart glass but the same applies.

It is in no way better, and improvement or needed as this typpe of change will really drive more people away..even those who want text chat because then your gripe will be....ZOS make it so the keyboard works without using the controller...i ant see anything but the virtual keyboard...why does the virtual keyboard keep popping up and blocking my view.

OR

If they can activate ENTER and "/" it still prompts the virtual keyboard on screen blocking 70% of the gameplay and pausing gameplay.

based on the games that exists today...it doesn't seem possible on Xbox One.

Sorry..maybe the threads should change to add text chat on PS4 .....(insert any logic)
    If you don't realize what you're asking for you'll get something other than what you want.

I really don't think this is what people are asking for.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on 28 April 2015 17:19
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Heromofo
    Heromofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

51rCqHzK64L._SY300_.jpg
    Shame to because all my mates and i use these.
  • KrisButtar
    KrisButtar
    ✭✭✭

51rCqHzK64L._SY300_.jpg

lol, I'm actually been looking into a similar product and researching info on them and just to use something like that for the console messaging system is a benefit.
  • Mirra_Halfelven
    Mirra_Halfelven
    ✭✭✭
    just wanting to make sure people understand that on Xbox One...based on how other keyboard chat works.

It requires a controller to activate chat (and then the virtual keyboard appears on the screen pausing gameplay) then you can type on your keyboard or use the virtual keyboard, then grab the controller hit "start" to send the text into whatever field.

Also, based on the ENTER and "/" keys not working at all until the controller is used, the addition of text chat, as far as the Xbox One version would be a VERY POOR implementation.

For those who speak to gaming without text chat as inferior....trust me, if added, based on how it functions on Xbox One, the term "inferior" would be an understatement.

I think the folks who are for adding text to chat are somehow under the impression that doing so also activates the keyboard for 100%support of the keys. That is not how it works, at least on xbox one, so what you end up with is people having to literally stop, drop the controller and type out a message, while their gameplay is paused and completely blocked, and the only way to get back to gameplay is to use the controller.

It is in no way better, and improvement or needed as this typpe of change will really drive more people away..even those who want text chat because then your gripe will be....ZOS make it so the keyboard works without using the controller...i ant see anything but the virtual keyboard...why does the virtual keyboard keep popping up and blocking my view.

OR

If they can activate ENTER and "/" it still prompts the virtual keyboard on screen blocking 70% of the gameplay and pausing gameplay.

Sorry..maybe the threads should change to add text chat on PS4 .....(insert any logic)
    If you don't realize what you're asking for you'll get something other than what you want.

On the PS4 for DCUO & FF14 I just hit enter on my bluetooth keyboard, cursor pops at the text message box, type out whatever message I need to make hit enter again, message sent. No game pause or window poping out ... basicly same as it would be on the PC.

• Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

51rCqHzK64L._SY300_.jpg

lol, I'm actually been looking into a similar product and researching info on them and just to use something like that for the console messaging system is a benefit.

On Xbox One, since Microsoft decided to use a different wireless protocol then 360, these chatpads don't send signals through the controller, they have a USB dongle that plugs into the Xbox One and communicates as a wireless keyboard would. Since these chatpads are new to Xbox One, they aren't perfected yet like the 360 chatpad is. For example, the pictured chatpad doesn't have a mic plugin port, so you can't attach a mic to the controller AND use this chatpad. You can use Turtle beach wireless headphone/mics that have a module that plugs into the Xbox One and then use these chatpads.

All that said, won't make a difference because there is no text chat supported for console for the June release unless ZOS actual takes this poll into consideration and makes a move to give us something.

Edited by Uberkull on 28 April 2015 17:29
  • Mirra_Halfelven
    Mirra_Halfelven
    ✭✭✭

51rCqHzK64L._SY300_.jpg

On Xbox One, since Microsoft decided to use a different wireless protocol then 360, these chatpads don't send signals through the controller, they have a USB dongle that plugs into the Xbox One and communicates as a wireless keyboard would. Since these chatpads are new to Xbox One, they aren't perfected yet like the 360 chatpad is. For example, the pictured chatpad doesn't have a mic plugin port, so you can't attach a mic to the controller AND use this chatpad. You can use Turtle beach wireless headphone/mics that have a module that plugs into the Xbox One and then use these chatpads.

All that said, won't make a difference because there is no text chat supported for console for the June release unless ZOS actual takes this poll into consideration and makes a move to give us something.

Will the Xbox one support wireless usb keyboards? You know the kind that have a small usb transmiter you plug directly into the Xbox one console?

*EDIT* Just looked it up and answered my own question... yes both wired & wireless usb keyboards work on the Xbox one as long as they are plugged in before you turn on the console.

Edited by Mirra_Halfelven on 28 April 2015 17:39
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

51rCqHzK64L._SY300_.jpg

Will the Xbox one support wireless usb keyboards? You know the kind that have a small usb transmiter you plug directly into the Xbox one console?

*EDIT* Just looked it up and answered my own question... yes both wired & wireless usb keyboards work on the Xbox one as long as they are plugged in before you turn on the console.

Yes, that controller chat pad i added it just that, nothing more than a wireless keyboard...but it attaches to the xbox one controller. Here...
    61kB1HxNhOL._SL1000_.jpg
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

OR

On the PS4 for DCUO & FF14 I just hit enter on my bluetooth keyboard, cursor pops at the text message box, type out whatever message I need to make hit enter again, message sent. No game pause or window poping out ... basicly same as it would be on the PC.

This would behave the same way on Xbox One. It's up to the game developer to implement. The default keyboard functionality of the Xbox keyboard on screen is for OS functions like messaging, code entry, etc. In a game, its up to the game developer to interact with the API that accesses the plugged in USB keyboard.

• NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough

OR

Right...so I'm thinking...and maybe its just me that everyone assumes that how it would work on Xbox One.
    I don't play on PS4 so maybe you understand a lot better now why all my comments are ...no thanks its not better.

Maybe its cool for PS4 but Xbox One is a different beast experience....(throw stuff on the floor frustrating at times)
    Sadly..that's not a Xbox One experience
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on 28 April 2015 18:40
  • Mirra_Halfelven
    Mirra_Halfelven
    ✭✭✭

Right...so I'm thinking...and maybe its just me that everyone assumes that how it would work on Xbox One.
    I don't play on PS4 so maybe you understand a lot better now why all my comments are ...no thanks its not better.

Maybe its cool for PS4 but Xbox One is a different beast experience....(throw stuff on the floor frustrating at times)

Thing is the only game with text chat on Xbox One that I know of is Neverwinter & they did a horrid job at it. If I was stuck with that kind of text chat interface there is no way in hell I would use it either.

There is no reason it shouldn't work like the PC version when using a keyboard or smartglass.

I mean come on text chat has been used in games for decades it really isnt very hard to do it right.
    Edited by Mirra_Halfelven on 28 April 2015 18:48
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough

Thing is the only game with text chat on Xbox One that I know of is Neverwinter & they did a horrid job at it. If I was stuck with that kind of text chat interface there is no way in hell I would use it either.

Well that is the only game with the so to speak "text chat box" but I wouldn't blame Neverwinter because any and all text entries on the xbox one work like that. SmartGlass or not....the system was really designed with the Kinect in mind and not a lot else. I love Xbox but I'm not oblivious to the lack of care and understanding of the usage and capabilities that are overlooked during development.

And I really mean ALL text entries game and non game are like that. You remember when BETA hit and you saw a lot of posts about I cant enter my info to link my account.

Yeah...cause the keyboard doesn't work at all until the field is opened so a lot of people who haven't played games with text entries were like....what the what... I have to use my controller to activate the virtual keyboard to activate the keybaord plugged in.

EDIT: it was pointed out to me that if you power cycle the console while a USB keyboard is plugged in it should work but if unplugged and plugged back in without a power cycle some keys like ENTER, don't work
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on 28 April 2015 22:07
  • Mirra_Halfelven
    Mirra_Halfelven
    ✭✭✭

Well that is the only game with the so to speak "text chat box" but I wouldn't blame Neverwinter because any and all text entries on the xbox one work like that. SmartGlass or not....the system was really designed with the Kinect in mind and not a lot else. I love Xbox but I'm not oblivious to the lack of care and understanding of the usage and capabilities that are overlooked during development.

And I really mean ALL text entries game and non game are like that. You remember when BETA hit and you saw a lot of posts about I cant enter my info to link my account.

Yeah...cause the keyboard doesn't work at all until the field is opened so a lot of people who haven't played games with text entries were like....what the what... I have to use my controller to activate the virtual keyboard to activate the keybaord plugged in.

I still think this could be fixed either in game or with ZOS working with MS to push a patch to add this ability ... I mean come on, ESO is going to be Xbox One's flagship MMORPG.
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry Smurf, this is completely false. Xbox One can support any keyboard input within a game just like PS4. The onscreen keyboard for Xbox One is just there for the OS needs like messaging and code entries.

It's up to the game developer to access the USB api and interact with the wireless keyboard you have plugged into the Xbox One. There is no limitation on the Xbox One.

NeverWinter is a decent port at best on Xbox One. They threw together a UI that requires redicolous combo buttons, that can't be remapped, and just decided to take the shortcut and use the Xbox OS onscreen keyboard as the text entry.

You have to remember that Neverwinter Is a Chinese based MMO ported to the U.S. by Cryptic. It's another one of the hundreds of pay to win Chinese MMOs out there that want to reach the maximum amount of players, so the ports are often hurried and sub-standard.

ZOS could implement keyboard support easily, I'm just hesitant to continue to comment on my thoughts on why they didn't. I think I might hit a nerve.
    Edited by Uberkull on 28 April 2015 19:48
  • Mirra_Halfelven
    Mirra_Halfelven
    ✭✭✭
    @uberkull if you have a Xbox One could you post a quick video of you typing in text with a usb keyboard on Neverwinter so we can setting this debate & clear things up please?
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @uberkull if you have a Xbox One could you post a quick video of you typing in text with a usb keyboard on Neverwinter so we can setting this debate & clear things up please?

I played NW in beta and didn't continue to release. I'm reporting my experience from beta.

However, here is a Q&A to Microsoft about NW, it's actually very relevant to this thread....funny how the response mentions 'A major aspect of the MMO gameplay experience is communication.'...really...hmmm ;)

Xbox Wire: Can you elaborate on what the core gameplay experience is like? What sorts of things will players be doing?

Scott Shicoff: Neverwinter uses an action-based combat system, which made it a natural fit for console. While traveling around the Sword Coast, players will need to be careful as they can’t just press an “attack” button and tune out; enemy attacks should be avoided whenever possible, and players will need to find the right positions and timing to be as effective as possible.

Beyond questing and fighting, players will also be able acquire companions that they can build up and battle alongside. There are queued PvP and player-versus-environment activities, as well as a crafting system called Professions. Players will also find special gear that can be improved through a refinement process.

A major aspect of the MMO gameplay experience is communication. To that end, players will of course be able to chat through the Xbox Party system, but they'll also be able to use an in-game group chat if they desire. Text chat has also been included, with shortcuts for whispers, item linking, replies, and emotes. And if you have a keyboard attached to your Xbox One, or access to SmartGlass, you can use that to type in text chat.

Full Article

Also, here is a Reddit discussion about players that have used a keyboard with NW. Again, because of how NW implemented the keyboard support, it's clunky.

Edit:Haha...I see NewBoackSmurf went ahead and made a video...Again, this is Cryptics implementation of keyboard support, rushed and clunky.
    Link
    Edited by Uberkull on 28 April 2015 22:05
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit.
    Edited by Uberkull on 28 April 2015 22:04
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough

I'm sorry Smurf, this is completely false. Xbox One can support any keyboard input within a game just like PS4. The onscreen keyboard for Xbox One is just there for the OS needs like messaging and code entries.

It's up to the game developer to access the USB api and interact with the wireless keyboard you have plugged into the Xbox One. There is no limitation on the Xbox One.

NeverWinter is a decent port at best on Xbox One. They threw together a UI that requires redicolous combo buttons, that can't be remapped, and just decided to take the shortcut and use the Xbox OS onscreen keyboard as the text entry.

You have to remember that Neverwinter Is a Chinese based MMO ported to the U.S. by Cryptic. It's another one of the hundreds of pay to win Chinese MMOs out there that want to reach the maximum amount of players, so the ports are often hurried and sub-standard.

ZOS could implement keyboard support easily, I'm just hesitant to continue to comment on my thoughts on why they didn't. I think I might hit a nerve.

It's actually true with the exception of turning off the console, plunging in a USB keyboard and then turning it back on. That's the only way it will work. Odd but true as it was pointed out to me in another thread from reddit

With the wireless one, it stops functioning when the controller turns off so then it requires a power cycle again. It's functional but not ideal for a plug n play experience.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on 28 April 2015 22:17
  • Dionysusjones
    Dionysusjones
    ✭✭✭
    Lack of chat concerns me a bit.... there are honestly just times i do not feel like chatting over voice. Sometimes i just like to put on the headset and jam some tunes while still getting stuff done. Im absolutly baffled as to how guilds will work on console with no type chat.

I would think that implementing guilds solely based off of voice chat would be a more daunting feat then implementing text chat... but im not a game dev. Will be interesting.
This discussion has been closed.