The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Console players - We want text typing chat?

• Mirra_Halfelven
    Mirra_Halfelven
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, there has to be text chat in a MMO
    uberkull wrote: »
    Neverwinter has text chat, but no one every really uses it that I have seen and I love it!

Agree completely. All i ever see on it is 'Dragon in 6 on 58'.

At least it's a option...
    They forgot the option to turn off the chat completely. That's my only complaint.

I'm fine with the option to turn off text chat , but at least give us the option to have it in the 1st place
    Edited by Mirra_Halfelven on 27 April 2015 22:21
    Mirra Halfelven, Templar Troublemaker
    Daggerfall Covenant - PS4 NA
    PSN: Scooby_609
  • Heromofo
    Heromofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for laughs

TO MY PC BROTHERS
    Join us on consoles you wont regret it

There will be few bugs because everyone is using the same hardware trust me alot easier for them.

It feels like we tested the game for consoles and this is there long plan comming lol jks but kinda

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Spamming]
    Edited by ZOS_BradL on 28 April 2015 01:53
  • Dragonchylde
    Dragonchylde
    Soul Shriven
    I'd like for there to be text chat, I actually stopped playing Destiny just because my wife complained about the chatter while she was trying to sleep (I play mostly at night). But, instead of belly aching about the lack of text in the console version, I'll just stay on PC. No big deal. If they add it then maybe I'll move. Not really an issue.
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    I'd like for there to be text chat, I actually stopped playing Destiny just because my wife complained about the chatter while she was trying to sleep (I play mostly at night). But, instead of belly aching about the lack of text in the console version, I'll just stay on PC. No big deal. If they add it then maybe I'll move. Not really an issue.

Asesome approach. Respect.
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just watched a Deltia's YouTube upload of a Dungeon run in console (PS4) and they had people standing right next to them at the start of the dungeon that they couldn't talk to. They tried to get them to join in the voice chat, but had no way of communicating. The one person had to spam them a message through PS4 messaging to try and get a response.

Even with group finder, the end result was they couldn't establish the group because Voice proximity wasn't used by all the members and they couldn't instruct them how to use it, or the other members just didn't want to.

This is the core problem with a lack of text chat. A great example.
    Video

This sums it up nicely, and it's just the tip of the iceberg. For the small % of people that don't like text chat, they can always simply turn it off. For the the vast majority of people expecting an MMO to have text chat, this is going to be a major inconvenience and a major turn off.

And this is what I just can't wrap my head around... why would anyone want such a fundamental feature removed from the game just because they don't like it when all they have to do is turn it off? Why would anyone WANT to push away so many paying customers? Don't people understand that this game needs money and other players to survive?

If you don't like it, turn it off.

Isn't this logical?

What am I missing here?

If this poll is even remotely accurate, then a whopping 74% of people WANT text chat. Is it really wise to support the removal of a feature that is obviously desired by so many potential customers?

Maybe this is the default ES crowd that is accustomed to buying a game and then being done with it. Maybe this crowd doesn't understand that this is an MMO that requires a MASSIVE amount of steady income in order to survive and supply customer support, content development, and maintenance.

I just don't get it.

Edited by Alphashado on 27 April 2015 23:02
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alphashado wrote:
    "V1-V14 is like walking from NY to California. By the time you get to the Grand Canyon, you couldn't care less how beautiful it is. You just want to get to California." -Alphashado

LoL. Nice signature...

I don't understand it either. Leaving text chat in allows for ONE of the familiar social aspects of MMOs that keeps people playing . It's not like ESO has the rep and proven track record of WoW that allows it to take chances. ESO needs all the customers it can get.
    Edited by Uberkull on 27 April 2015 23:51
    ▬ஜ Seeds of War, Piles of Skulls ஜ▬
    ▬▬▬ஜ twitch.tv/uberkull ஜ▬▬▬
  • Thesiren
    Thesiren
    ✭✭✭
    Can't Zenimax implement something similar to in FFXIV on PS4, where you can use the controller to type messages on a virtual keyboard? It would be better than nothing when trying to get a group together, ask a question or sell something!
  • Mirra_Halfelven
    Mirra_Halfelven
    ✭✭✭
    Thesiren wrote: »
    Can't Zenimax implement something similar to in FFXIV on PS4, where you can use the controller to type messages on a virtual keyboard? It would be better than nothing when trying to get a group together, ask a question or sell something!

Actualy that's built into the PS4 system itself so they wouldn't have to do anything there.

Edited by Mirra_Halfelven on 28 April 2015 00:39
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough

Actualy that's built into the PS4 system itself so they wouldn't have to do anything there.

The on-sreen keyboard is built into Xbox Ones interface, too. All they'd really need is to incorporate a way to 'dock' the chat box so that it's not on the screen at all times, but pops up and back off when you want it.

Sure, it'll have to be larger text for us players who sit more than two feet away from the TV, but you can still make it available.

The key to it being, 'On-Demand'. Off when you don't need it, on when you want it, but otherwise out of the way.

In this way zone chat may not be as important or as used as it is on PC, but it'll be available. This may mean that using it for trade, or looking for group, or anything else is less effective. But it'll be there as a good option for those players who want it.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Mirra_Halfelven
    Mirra_Halfelven
    ✭✭✭

The on-sreen keyboard is built into Xbox Ones interface, too. All they'd really need is to incorporate a way to 'dock' the chat box so that it's not on the screen at all times, but pops up and back off when you want it.

Sure, it'll have to be larger text for us players who sit more than two feet away from the TV, but you can still make it available.

The key to it being, 'On-Demand'. Off when you don't need it, on when you want it, but otherwise out of the way.

In this way zone chat may not be as important or as used as it is on PC, but it'll be available. This may mean that using it for trade, or looking for group, or anything else is less effective. But it'll be there as a good option for those players who want it.

Thank you for coming around & seeing the other side of things ....

Don't think anyone here was asking for text only chat, just the option to have it along with voice chat. I know I will be mainly using voice chat, but some things you just really need text chat for.

I hope if/when they add back text chat it is toggleable, & even when its on the text chat window will fade after like 15 -20 seconds or so of no new messages.

• Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    Sliding it to smartglass or onto a companion ap in my opinion is the smarter approach.

As well, adding in-character voiced 'phrases' you can have your character say using a radial menu similar to emotes (vocal emotes, we can call them), would help those who don't want to speak communicate in other ways.

Another option is to include more complexity in group leader tools and possibly even add battlefield commander tools to Cyrodiil, allowing select players to communicate by on-screen message to large collections of players, to help better direct groups, guilds and units.

It's not a matter of me 'coming around'. Just that I believe simply adding a text box to the current console is not a good solution.

XBOX NA

• Mirra_Halfelven
    Mirra_Halfelven
    ✭✭✭
    Sliding it to smartglass or onto a companion ap in my opinion is the smarter approach.

As well, adding in-character voiced 'phrases' you can have your character say using a radial menu similar to emotes (vocal emotes, we can call them), would help those who don't want to speak communicate in other ways.

Another option is to include more complexity in group leader tools and possibly even add battlefield commander tools to Cyrodiil, allowing select players to communicate by on-screen message to large collections of players, to help better direct groups, guilds and units.

It's not a matter of me 'coming around'. Just that I believe simply adding a text box to the current console is not a good solution.

I still dont understand the need to add more emotes & tools complicating things even more to replace simply typing out a text message ?

• Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why? It's the easiest one to implement because IT'S ALREADY THERE IN THE PC VERSION. This isn't a new game, it's a port of the PC version with new UI. All they had to do is leave the text chat they had in the PC game and a mapped button on the controller that allows the SmartGlass app to 'activate'. Like hitting 'Enter' on the PC.

It baffles me why we need to reinvent the wheel here. It all exists. You can turn it off, add tabs...one that's called STFU that you set the tab to filter out everything you don't want to see. It's all there.
    Edited by Uberkull on 28 April 2015 01:51
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough

Why? It's the easiest one to implement because IT'S ALREADY THERE IN THE PC VERSION. This isn't a new game, it's a port of the PC version with new UI. All they had to do is leave the text chat they had in the PC game and a mapped button on the controller that allows the SmartGlass app to 'activate'. Like hitting 'Enter' on the PC.

It baffles me why we need to reinvent the wheel here. It all exists. You can turn it off, add tabs...one that's called STFU that you set the tab to filter out everything you don't want to see. It's all there.

Because my television screen does not need to have 7 inches by 5 inches of screen space dedicated to som idiot asking to join group. And while the concept of 'you can turn it off' is awfully nice, Neverwinter and Cryptic somehow forgot to include that crucial option of being able to turn it off, which is doing a fair job of ruining the experience for me.

Will ZOS remember that petty piece of information?

I think some posters, maybe yourself, are simply ignoring all the counter arguments. Screen size? Immersion? Pusing players into one form of communication thus increasing participation? Lack of moderation of chat channels? Spam? Gold sellers? Splitting the users between multiple focuses thus diminishing the usefullness.

I'm saying I don't mind chat, just take it off the screen and make it useles to spam with for most. I am also saying that I don't think it's necessary or even really that useful in today's gaming world, and thus I am looking forward to seeing MMO's finally address multiplayer communication on the same new technological grounds as so many other multiplayer games, because at their core, MMO's aren't nearly as unique as they once were.

But I've been playing MMO's for over two decades (realizing it was this long almost bothered me just now), and to me, they could use a little sprucing up. Which is why I am happy with the beta for consoles. ESO makes a great mix of old public dungeons and bosses, world events, anti-class mechanics, denial of the holy trinity, etc ... and new voice technologies mixed with console controls and an action interface not cluttered with 20 action bars.

Breath. Of. Fresh. Air.

Especially in a game style that has been stale for the last 12 years. Same mechanics. Same skill bars. Same communication. Nothing really new.
    Edited by Ser Lobo on 28 April 2015 02:08

XBOX NA

• Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough

I still dont understand the need to add more emotes & tools complicating things even more to replace simply typing out a text message ?

Because on console, it's possible that the majority of players won't even read your message. That's my prediction, anyhow, as a console player who's used to playing with other console players.

This may be different on Xbox versus PS, though.

XBOX NA

• krim
    krim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm only playing on console because theres no chat.... I like this one.
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because my television screen does not need to have 7 inches by 5 inches of screen space dedicated to som idiot asking to join group. And while the concept of 'you can turn it off' is awfully nice, Neverwinter and Cryptic somehow forgot to include that crucial option of being able to turn it off, which is doing a fair job of ruining the experience for me.

Do you know how to resize the PC chat box? Hope so...yes? Good. Start there. Now, click the little gear thing on the upper right corner of the chat box. Now select Add Tab and call it Quiet, STFU, ZipIt.....whatever you desire. Now select the tab and uncheck all the channels you don't want to see. Select them all, and you have no text at all. Now, by default...no text and the chat box fades and disappears.

There is your 7by5 real estate back. And that's how you turn off the chat box with one click(after the setup I described that takes 30 seconds).
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough

Do you know how to resize the PC chat box? Hope so...yes? Good. Start there. Now, click the little gear thing on the upper right corner of the chat box. Now select Add Tab and call it Quiet, STFU, ZipIt.....whatever you desire. Now select the tab and uncheck all the channels you don't want to see. Select them all, and you have no text at all. Now, by default...no text and the chat box fades and disappears.

There is your 7by5 real estate back. And that's how you turn off the chat box with one click(after the setup I described that takes 30 seconds).

Is it off the screen, or semi-transparent?

And we're assuming they add all those functions to the console side, for sure. That's a big assumption of ZOS if you ask me.

I think the docked idea, where it's only up at all if you choose to pull it up, and otherwise is completely off the screen the rest of the time, is the better idea.

XBOX NA

• Kalifas
    Kalifas
    ✭✭✭

I think some posters, maybe yourself, are simply ignoring all the counter arguments. Screen size? Immersion? Pusing players into one form of communication thus increasing participation? Lack of moderation of chat channels? Spam? Gold sellers? Splitting the users between multiple focuses thus diminishing the usefullness.

I'm saying I don't mind chat, just take it off the screen and make it useles to spam with for most. I am also saying that I don't think it's necessary or even really that useful in today's gaming world, and thus I am looking forward to seeing MMO's finally address multiplayer communication on the same new technological grounds as so many other multiplayer games, because at their core, MMO's aren't nearly as unique as they once were.

But I've been playing MMO's for over two decades (realizing it was this long almost bothered me just now), and to me, they could use a little sprucing up. Which is why I am happy with the beta for consoles. ESO makes a great mix of old public dungeons and bosses, world events, anti-class mechanics, denial of the holy trinity, etc ... and new voice technologies mixed with console controls and an action interface not cluttered with 20 action bars.

Breath. Of. Fresh. Air.

Especially in a game style that has been stale for the last 12 years. Same mechanics. Same skill bars. Same communication. Nothing really new.
    Having audio stream lag free over an mmo with thousands of players is different from streaming audio over 100 man battlefield. I wonder if ESO could even pull off 1080p which they are not even sure off graphic wise at this moment.

Screen size? They can make the text box toggle off or get smaller.
    Immersion? This game is different and immersive enough, almost quite too much that it couldn't hold enough subscribers to stay P2P solely.
    Moderation of chat channels? Both text and audio has ugly talk and methods of moderation.
    Spam? Would voice chat have better blacklisting?
    Gold sellers? Not getting rid of them ever.

The irony of being a unique snowflake is that in the quest of that you find yourself alone or lonely because the rest of the world is too old school to come to that level.
    An Avid fan of Elder Scrolls Online. Check out my Concepts Repository!
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it off the screen, or semi-transparent?

And we're assuming they add all those functions to the console side, for sure. That's a big assumption of ZOS if you ask me.

I think the docked idea, where it's only up at all if you choose to pull it up, and otherwise is completely off the screen the rest of the time, is the better idea.

It's completely transparent, tabs and all. Try it.

And again, there isn't anything to add. It's all there, ZOS decided to pull it. The code is there.
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    Kalifas wrote: »

Breath. Of. Fresh. Air.

Having audio stream lag free over an mmo with thousands of players is different from streaming audio over 100 man battlefield. I wonder if ESO could even pull off 1080p which they are not even sure off graphic wise at this moment.

Immersion? This game is different and immersive enough, almost quite too much that it couldn't hold enough subscribers to stay P2P solely.
    Moderation of chat channels? Both text and audio has ugly talk and methods of moderation.

The irony of being a unique snowflake is that in the quest of that you find yourself alone or lonely because the rest of the world is too old school to come to that level.

I think I'll find plenty of players to play with on consoles, using voice chat and doing what we do on every other game on Xbox One. Keyboardless and text field less, too.

I'm loving the players complaining on Neverwinter (which is a rather direct port, I might add) about nobody using the text field. And they don't have a very good voice system, nowhere near as good as ESO's.

In all honestly, the experience may be very different on Xbox versus Playstation, too. On Xbox, mic's are common and if you don't have one or don't talk, you get excluded. No group for you in many cases. But that's because we've been using voice chat pretty regularly since last gen, and this gen it's just as prevalent and works better.

I doubt we'll lack much in the grouping and fun department, that's for sure.

XBOX NA

• Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Breath. Of. Fresh. Air.

I think I'll find plenty of players to play with on consoles, using voice chat and doing what we do on every other game on Xbox One. Keyboardless and text field less, too.

I'm loving the players complaining on Neverwinter (which is a rather direct port, I might add) about nobody using the text field. And they don't have a very good voice system, nowhere near as good as ESO's.

In all honestly, the experience may be very different on Xbox versus Playstation, too. On Xbox, mic's are common and if you don't have one or don't talk, you get excluded. No group for you in many cases. But that's because we've been using voice chat pretty regularly since last gen, and this gen it's just as prevalent and works better.

Then why continue to respond? Based on your signature, your social skills are limited to your immediate group of friends.

Learn how the current text chat works on PC and you'll see that it can completely out of site, out of mind. And it fits right into console without ever bothering you.

Edited by Uberkull on 28 April 2015 03:25
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough

Breath. Of. Fresh. Air.

Then why continue to respond? Based on your signature, your social skills are limited to your immediate group of friends.

Learn how the current text chat works on PC and you'll see that it can completely out of site, out of mind. And it fits right into console without ever bothering you.

I guess I continue to respond because I feel the true console user is not represented on this site. Reddit, sure. But here, not so much. Which is why there is a different tone.

I also feel that a very vocal minority who may not even have experienced the beta without text chat are pushing the hardest. It's more a matter of players holding strongly for what they are used to, ignoring the differences in platforms. Somebody needs to try to bring a solid counter argument to 'it's just the way its done'. I think multiplayer games in general on console for the last ten years have shown voice work as a primary form of communication just fine. It's the self-imposed identity of MMO diehards, a genre which is almost exclusively PC and thus keyboard/mouse based, that's having the hardest time incorporating new technologies and ideas.

But you may be making quite a few assumptions about me in your dislike of my counter argument. I'd recommend not doing so, as my comment against Pick-Up Groups is only one small facet of my interest in gaming.

For example, did you know that I'm a fairly diehard roleplayer? You have a very hard time being a roleplayer solo, that's for sure.

XBOX NA

• Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Breath. Of. Fresh. Air.

I guess I continue to respond because I feel the true console user is not represented on this site. Reddit, sure. But here, not so much. Which is why there is a different tone.

I also feel that a very vocal minority who may not even have experienced the beta without text chat are pushing the hardest. It's more a matter of players holding strongly for what they are used to, ignoring the differences in platforms. Somebody needs to try to bring a solid counter argument to 'it's just the way its done'. I think multiplayer games in general on console for the last ten years have shown voice work as a primary form of communication just fine. It's the self-imposed identity of MMO diehards, a genre which is almost exclusively PC and thus keyboard/mouse based, that's having the hardest time incorporating new technologies and ideas.

But you may be making quite a few assumptions about me in your dislike of my counter argument. I'd recommend not doing so, as my comment against Pick-Up Groups is only one small facet of my interest in gaming.

For example, did you know that I'm a fairly diehard roleplayer? You have a very hard time being a roleplayer solo, that's for sure.

You act like there have been a abundance of MMOs on console. To this point there have been a total of four true MMOs, and one is exclusive to PS4. The other multiplayer games you refer to on console do not fall into a 'Massive Multiplayer' category, do not hold open worlds, and have a cap of players in instanced slices of invisible wall, follow the rails gameplay.

You also ignored my facts on the offerings that the ESO PC chat box has currently that can simply be carried over to the console. It's unfortunate that you were no aware the ability to turn off the chat box existed, albeit you have to be a little inventive to achieve it.

To each his own, but continuing to argue a point that isn't supported by the majority according to the poll is rather pointless. If you can turn the chat box off, why bother fighting it?
  • Naivefanboi
    Naivefanboi
    ✭✭✭✭
    StaticWax wrote: »
    You forgot:

• I'm only playing console because there is no text chat. ✔

Then honestly you shouldn't be playing a MMO. Grab Dragon Age Inquistion. MMOs are highly social, with the good and the bad (spam), but text is necessary.

:D I was wondering who the official MMO authority around here was. Thanks for gracing us with your presence.

But... Text is not necessary. Get with a top guild in any mmo. Guess which form of comms they use 95% of the time. You have very little idea what you're babbling about. Do yourself a solid & cease this sad disply of ignorance.

lol thats ironic considering the tops guilds in my factions campaign often use all the tools available too them.
    they are in voice comms with a 3rd party app, since voice chat apparently wasnt a priority for pc. and they directing pugs in zone chat,
    pugs even help with call outs for defense.
    no one is claiming guilds dont use voice comms, were saying they use both form of communication....also players bashing is against code of conduct.

Yes, and players will continue using the tools available to them. Thankfully in game text chat will not be one of them.

Adapt or move on.

Also, no bash, just facts.

fact, comment was moderated. see the difference?
    and according to 2 tickets from support staff, there is no "official statment" so id refrain from speaking for zos unless you have some information the support staff doesnt?
    just quiting solves nothing. if anything just gives less of a reason for your side to be considered, kind no point if everyone left already cause they didnt get their way? so why fix it?
    ive been waiting a year to play on console i think ill stick around tho thanks.intrested to see how this plays out. judging from the community should be intresting.
  • Levarius
    Levarius
    ✭✭
    It's extremely odd to leave out text chat. I guess their target market is the Destiny/GTA/CoD/etc crowd. I don't really consider ESO that kind of game, though. It has a ton of oldschoolish RPG/MMORPG features that kind of beg for text chat. What happens to roleplaying? How will trade guilds function? How will multiple PvP groups coordinate? Voice chat is great for small-scale PvP (akin to an FPS match) and dungeons, but that's a very small portion of ESO.
    Edited by Levarius on 28 April 2015 09:57
  • Heromofo
    Heromofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alphashado wrote: »
    Just watched a Deltia's YouTube upload of a Dungeon run in console (PS4) and they had people standing right next to them at the start of the dungeon that they couldn't talk to. They tried to get them to join in the voice chat, but had no way of communicating. The one person had to spam them a message through PS4 messaging to try and get a response.

Even with group finder, the end result was they couldn't establish the group because Voice proximity wasn't used by all the members and they couldn't instruct them how to use it, or the other members just didn't want to.

This is the core problem with a lack of text chat. A great example.
    Video

This sums it up nicely, and it's just the tip of the iceberg. For the small % of people that don't like text chat, they can always simply turn it off. For the the vast majority of people expecting an MMO to have text chat, this is going to be a major inconvenience and a major turn off.

And this is what I just can't wrap my head around... why would anyone want such a fundamental feature removed from the game just because they don't like it when all they have to do is turn it off? Why would anyone WANT to push away so many paying customers? Don't people understand that this game needs money and other players to survive?

If you don't like it, turn it off.

Isn't this logical?

What am I missing here?

If this poll is even remotely accurate, then a whopping 74% of people WANT text chat. Is it really wise to support the removal of a feature that is obviously desired by so many potential customers?

Maybe this is the default ES crowd that is accustomed to buying a game and then being done with it. Maybe this crowd doesn't understand that this is an MMO that requires a MASSIVE amount of steady income in order to survive and supply customer support, content development, and maintenance.

I just don't get it.

Agree i dont care if they do it or not as i will find a way around it as usual. But it is odd wht if i am playing at midnight as i am a night shift worker. Should i *** off everyone in the house because i have to talk over txting. Plus using a controller i can type almost as fast as a keyboard. Plus even if i could not there are these great keyboard attachments to the controllers that work like a phones keyboard just brillant.

Ps they seem to love going against logic with eso
    Edited by Heromofo on 28 April 2015 08:46
  • Mirra_Halfelven
    Mirra_Halfelven
    ✭✭✭
    I dont get it either

Ever time a valid point for text chat is brought up the "x-bro's" come up with non-sense agruements as to why they don't any text chat at all.

Seems like all they want is a single player game with lobbies for dungeons, raids, & PvP :/

That isn't a MMO at all ....
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    I dont get it either

Ever time a valid point for text chat is brought up the "x-bro's" come up with non-sense agruements as to why they don't any text chat at all.

Seems like all they want is a single player game with lobbies for dungeons, raids, & PvP :/

[snip] [snip]

I don't really believe that, but blatant obfuscation of valid points on both sides is what it is. I'm sure there are console players who do not see why text is necessary, because they play every day all day without it. And I'm sure there are PC players who do not understand how you can play without a keyboard in front of you.

But there are actual, valid points, brought up in this post and many others, that show why it would be good and why it would be bad. In the end, all we as the playerbase are doing is expressing different arguments and hoping that ZOS sees them and sides with our own personal opinions.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Rude and Insulting comments]
    Edited by ZOS_ArtG on 28 April 2015 16:58

XBOX NA

• Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont get it either

[snip] [snip]

I don't really believe that, but blatant obfuscation of valid points on both sides is what it is. I'm sure there are console players who do not see why text is necessary, because they play every day all day without it. And I'm sure there are PC players who do not understand how you can play without a keyboard in front of you.

But there are actual, valid points, brought up in this post and many others, that show why it would be good and why it would be bad. In the end, all we as the playerbase are doing is expressing different arguments and hoping that ZOS sees them and sides with our own personal opinions.

For console, you still are comparing apples to oranges. Over the decades of playing console games, as you put it, you haven't had games that had 1000's of players in a single server potentially playing at the same time, in the same area. With these 'Mega Servers' that's a real possibility. So console players have no idea what's coming.

And the thing is, the common console player will discard the game after a month since they will feel that it's just another Destiny because the game 'feels' so solo. Finish the solo quest chain and I'm done. Craft a set over and over, good enough. Some might not even know about Guild traders and how to SELL their items, so they'll sell to NPCs and pile up gold for nothing. This is mainly because there is no text chat constantly giving life and education to the environment, a life that comes with the good and the bad that plagues text chat. But the nice thing is, I can turn it off if I get tired of it as I explained in earlier posts.

[Moderator Note: Edited moderated quote]
    Edited by ZOS_ArtG on 28 April 2015 17:00
This discussion has been closed.