Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Pictoral evidence of XP problem with 1.5

• LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Those quest XP totals listed above are staggeringly stupid. All of those quest XP amounts for VR zones should be tripled or quadrupled at a minimum.

Completing half the quests in the zone along with a reasonable number of mob kills and location discoveries along the way should be sufficient to increase one VR level. Everything else in the zone can be used for a second level or the player can come back after hitting VR10 and use that content as end game to help reach VR14.

I honestly do not know why ZOS has trouble understanding this concept.
    Edited by LonePirate on 18 November 2014 20:40
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This issue concerns the skill leveling in the new xp system.

You remember how when it was vet points, the vet points didn't really level up your skills much, but doing things that got xp, like exploring a new location or opening a chest would. In regular levels, xp leveled up everything, turning in quests leveled a lot of skills.

Why then, now that it's all xp are skills leveling slower it seems? I threw entropy on my bar the other day to level when we did the vet DC pledge, figuring turning in the pledge, killing bosses, etc. all earns xp, didn't move my bar much at all. Today I opened one chest and it went from half the bar to ready to morph. So I'm wondering if parts of the old vet system are still in place and that is why some are saying skills level slower.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Tierney369neb18_ESO
    The leveling still seems under par to me at the moment I Just finished Reapers March on Cadwell's Silver when I started the zone I was already about 5% into VR5 and managed to get to 26% through my level while it was still 1.5.4 and today I finished the whole area while under the new 1.5.5 patch where major quest XP was supposed to be fixed.

Well the most XP I have got from one quest was about 16000xp and this was on very few occasions and I was getting that before 1.5.5 dropped so I see no real change in the quest XP at all seems pretty much the same as it was and having completed all of Reaper march so that includes delves/dolmens/quests/exploration points the only things I have not done are world bosses and the public dungeon and yet I am still only 80% through the level so 200k short bear in mind I was already 5% into my level when I reached Reapers March.

This still seems woefully short of when it was the Veteran system I could clear this much of a VR zone in the old system and I would easily gain a veteran rank and even be a little into the next rank now I am short by a good 205k XP even after clearing pretty much all the area.

Considering we were told we were supposed to level faster after 1.5 as it is we actually still slower. Don't get me wrong by dropping the XP needer per rank to 1 Million they have got it closer to the old system but they are still short and they are even shorter of making it faster.

In my opinion you should only have to clear about 70% of a VR zone to get a VR level and I also believe it should take the same amount of time to lvl whatever your doing whether that be grinding/questing/pvping you should not be forced to play one way or the other and you certainly shouldn't be punished for it by getting less XP

Now I still like this game a lot and I will bear with it as ZoS tweak things but it seems to get sorted only a week at a time which is incredibly frustrating I just want to get to VR14 so I feel equal in PVP and be able to do trials and DSA etc but the time its taking to get there seems slightly unreasonable.

I know Champion System will be coming and veteran ranks won't exist so this will be completely redundant then but that may be some way off so why make it take so long to gain VR ranks in the first place since they are going to be abolished anyway surely it would make more sene to get us to level quicker so we can actually get doing the end game content.

What are everyone else's thoughts on levelling currently on 1.5.5 ?

• phreatophile
    phreatophile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, am I to understand that after all that back and forth and backpeddling over how messed up xp gain was at Vet rank, that these low values were what was intended all along? From the numbers I'm seeing here, the "capped at lvl50 xp" is still true.

I defended you guys.
    Why were we told it would be fixed if you didn't think it was broken?
  • Ohioastro
    Ohioastro
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's worth remembering that they *substantially* increased the experience per standard mob kill - something that the people tallying quest experience seem to omit completely. And this opens up another route that is extremely important. In the tests that I've run the standard mob kills are now the majority of my experience (while they were small before). This means that you can do well in experience - and, of course, much better in items and gold - by taking down mobs while you're going around doing your business. Single mobs take seconds to remove. Pairs of mobs take..well, maybe tens of seconds. Avoid triples+ unless you can handle them (they're slower anyhow) and you have *benefited.*

Make some very simple changes to what you're doing in the quest zones and it works. You don't need to spend significant extra time; you don't need to expose yourself to significant extra risk. If you see that lone roamer off to the side squash it; experience problem solved (if you want to solve it, as opposed to demanding that they change game systems.)

Edit: About 10 mobs per quest has a huge impact, and this isn't grinding at all in the traditional MMO sense. You don't have to go out of your way to do this.
    Edited by Ohioastro on 18 November 2014 21:35
  • NukeAllTheThings
    NukeAllTheThings
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What are everyone else's thoughts on levelling currently on 1.5.5 ?

My thought is, 2 of the things they said they fixed were not fixed
    "it's important to state that our decision to go with subscriptions is not a referendum on online game revenue models. F2P, B2P, etc. are valid, proven business models - but subscription is the one that fits ESO the best, given our commitment to freedom of gameplay, quality and long-term content delivery. Plus, players will appreciate not having to worry about being "monetized" in the middle of playing the game, which is definitely a problem that is cropping up more and more in online gaming these days." - Matt Firor
  • Tierney369neb18_ESO
    Ohioastro wrote: »
    It's worth remembering that they *substantially* increased the experience per standard mob kill - something that the people tallying quest experience seem to omit completely. And this opens up another route that is extremely important. In the tests that I've run the standard mob kills are now the majority of my experience (while they were small before). This means that you can do well in experience - and, of course, much better in items and gold - by taking down mobs while you're going around doing your business. Single mobs take seconds to remove. Pairs of mobs take..well, maybe tens of seconds. Avoid triples+ unless you can handle them (they're slower anyhow) and you have *benefited.*

Make some very simple changes to what you're doing in the quest zones and it works. You don't need to spend significant extra time; you don't need to expose yourself to significant extra risk. If you see that lone roamer off to the side squash it; experience problem solved (if you want to solve it, as opposed to demanding that they change game systems.)

Edit: About 10 mobs per quest has a huge impact, and this isn't grinding at all in the traditional MMO sense. You don't have to go out of your way to do this.

Your assuming that I have not grinded mobs inbetween which infact I have I have killed every mob I have come across I've even got all skyshards and lorebooks and killed every mob in between them yet I am still 200k short so your theory is invalid although I did fail to mention I had done that in my post so it was my own fault that I allowed you to make a false presumption I guess.
  • Garetth
    Garetth
    ✭✭✭✭

^ This is 100% inaccurate and wrong.
    Edited by Garetth on 18 November 2014 21:42
  • NukeAllTheThings
    NukeAllTheThings
    ✭✭✭✭✭

None of this offests the massive reduction in XP that the quests give and it certainly does not fit their supposed intent to reduce the time it takes to gain a Veteran rank......
    November 5
    Hi everyone, we'd like to address the concerns with the change we recently made to experience points and gaining Veteran Levels. Update 5 introduced a new system where all Veteran Points were converted to use XP instead, as part of our phased rollout of the Champion System. The plan was for this to reduce the amount of time it would take to gain a Veteran Rank. However, we discovered an issue where you are not currently gaining as much XP as we intended. Fixing this issue is one of our top priorities. We are currently aiming to have this fixed in our next incremental patch, which will allow you to progress though Veteran Ranks at a faster rate than what you’re currently seeing in-game. Thank you for your patience and understanding!
    "it's important to state that our decision to go with subscriptions is not a referendum on online game revenue models. F2P, B2P, etc. are valid, proven business models - but subscription is the one that fits ESO the best, given our commitment to freedom of gameplay, quality and long-term content delivery. Plus, players will appreciate not having to worry about being "monetized" in the middle of playing the game, which is definitely a problem that is cropping up more and more in online gaming these days." - Matt Firor
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    liar-liar.jpg
    Edited by khele23eb17_ESO on 18 November 2014 23:18
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    liar-liar.jpg

Nice! :D
  • Hazadus76
    Hazadus76
    ✭✭✭
    When the mod suggested that we "change the way we play", I would have appreciated some specific advice in strategy modification. Not specifics to the point of telling us what skills to use, but just overall approach. PLEASE?
  • Lunerdog
    Lunerdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather not have my progress tracked for the future system and be able to level to cap faster than what we have now. I want to play the game I'm paying for now, not invest in a game that's months away.

I am not playing the game anymore because of the slow leveling speed. Questing is boring. Grinding tens of thousands of world mobs is so much more incredibly boring than grinding hundreds of Craglorn bosses. In Craglorn you were part of a mindless blob and could zone out. Soloing/duoing isn't really the same, you need to pay more attention and it's really taxing.

It's honestly to the point where I'm not even sure I'll return for the champion system itself if these are the kinds of moves Zenimax will pull.

1. Say leveling will be quicker
    2. Actually make leveling 2 - 3 times slower
    3. Say this is due to bugs and that a fix is coming
    4. Fix does nothing
    5. Tell players it's their fault and they need to change how they play

On top of all that, a lot of these issues are because of Zenimax's insistance of increasing the level cap, which is another decision that many people felt was a poor decision as well.

How many second chances should a disgruntled consumer give them?

... you're complaining about leveling slowly whenever you don't want to do the quests that they intend to level you because you have to actually pay attention and can't zone out... that is honestly the laziest thing I've EVER heard someone complain about in my life.
    I have many characters. I have done all of the quests before many times. They are boring now. So yes, I do want to just zone out while I level now.

I can see why you don't want to do the quests, that makes sense. But you are playing a game, game designers don't want you to zone out, the entire reason they make a game is so that it pulls you in and makes you want to play more
    But I want to play the game. I want to play the dungeons and the trials and the PvP. But I want to be competitive, which means reaching the max level first.

Which makes sense, but to be competitive you have to do what the devs want you to do, unfortunately that's how every game works

Unfortunately this is not the case.

Logged in last night for the first time in over a week, did a couple of zone main quests and checked the incoming xp and thought "meh" and promptly logged out and went and played something else.

Myself and plenty of others have done the quests time and time again, To the point that I'm able to spiel off the quest dialogue before the characters speak it.

IT ALL GETS REALLY REALLY OLD VERY QUICKLY.

Forcing people to do it over and over and over for little or no reward does not encourage them to play more.

It makes them not want to play at all :(
  • NukeAllTheThings
    NukeAllTheThings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hazadus76 wrote: »
    When the mod suggested that we "change the way we play", I would have appreciated some specific advice in strategy modification. Not specifics to the point of telling us what skills to use, but just overall approach. PLEASE?

Based on my experience the only strategy is 100% completion of everything in the zone plus kill every monster/enemy in the entire zone
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they won't simply "fix" XP for VR levels/Champion progresion, then they should at least give an XP bonus to people who have done the content before.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/140561/suggestion-bonus-xp-fast-leveling-options