Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Pictoral evidence of XP problem with 1.5

• spryler
    spryler
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, a guy said he played a bunch of time and xp seems to be working and you guys GRILL him. I'm going to take him at his word and not call him a liar. Then I'll go test it myself and decide for sure.

You don't want the game to be fixed, do you? You would rather the bugs remain so you can complain about it on the forums all day. Clearly you get more enjoyment out of that.
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spryler wrote: »
    Wow, a guy said he played a bunch of time and xp seems to be working and you guys GRILL him. I'm going to take him at his word and not call him a liar. Then I'll go test it myself and decide for sure.

You don't want the game to be fixed, do you? You would rather the bugs remain so you can complain about it on the forums all day. Clearly you get more enjoyment out of that.

His position would be more supported bringing actual evidence as the OP did. Anecdotal evidence shouldn't be taken at face value when compared to actual data, imo.

The problem is that the xp scale (easy vs very hard) would be great if the base experience gain was more than one to a couple thousand at a time, when we still need 1million.

Im not going to call the guy a liar either, I'm going to do my own testing, but I'm cautious that I'll still be VR 6 by the end of the fresh zone on my alt.

Edited by BBSooner on 14 November 2014 14:23
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭
    Robocles wrote: »
    ROFL! How many quests do you think there are per zone?
    I already said I just finished completing Stormhaven which has an achievement for completing 60 quests. There are actually several more in the zone. What game are you playing?

OH... so now you did all of Stormhaven tonight?

Edit: As I reread your post... you post that a majority of quests are "major", then that 30 of 65 are "major". You provide no information, no xp rewards for the cadwell lines or of the other minor lines that might qualify. You just say he's wrong based on your loose numbers. I'm open to a reasoned argument. Provide one.

Ok, I'm going to say this. If there are 60 quests, and it's split with 30 major and 30 minor quests, using the OP's numbers that he claims say he won't achieve a level in that zone:

30 Major quests = 480060 exp ~ roughly half
    30 Minor quests = 224550 exp ~ roughly 25%
    I'm sure there are PLENTY of mobs your going to kill during those quests, some bosses your going to fight during those quests, some chests, and some exploration exp... not to mention if you go into fighting in dolmens or dungeoning.

If the OP's add-on is spitting out proper numbers, and you do an entire zone, you will EASILY have enough content to level up... I don't see where you, @robocles think @hammer_fella is doing his math wrong. Trust me, I'm kind of good at math and this is elementary multiplication. If you can't figure out that this shows you ARE getting enough xp, then maybe you should go back to elementary and learn how to multiply numbers. This is my second instance with you where you are completely rude about someone's post acting as if he is unreliable. The "30 of 65 major" vs "majority are major" are two different things because he said when he did Stormhaven, most of the quests were major, but SUPPOSE... wait, did you miss that?? He said SUPPOSE, meaning let's think with a different angle here. SUPPOSE that 30 of 65 are major, there are more than enough quests in a zone to provide a multitude of different ranges of which quests you did that are major, and which ones are minor. Period.
  • Cazic
    Cazic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got 17% of VR4 in about 4 hours of casual playtime yesterday. That's totally fair and I wasn't even trying that hard. I know it's not necessarily about time spent, but if you just play the game and stop worrying so much about these little details, you'll find the rate of progression is perfectly fine.
    Edited by Cazic on 14 November 2014 15:51
  • hammer_fella
    hammer_fella
    ✭✭✭
    Whoever is on LOL patrol in this thread is sure doing an outstanding job.
    Aldmeri Dominion (NA)
    Ferawen - VR14 Bosmer Nightblade
    Quvalwe - VR2 Altmer Sorcerer
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Belwurz gro-Yungash - Lvl 35 Orc Dragonknight
    Ebonheart Pact
    Dutseiwitsei - Lvl 27 Argonian Templar
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ROFL! How many quests do you think there are per zone?
    I already said I just finished completing Stormhaven which has an achievement for completing 60 quests. There are actually several more in the zone. What game are you playing?

OH... so now you did all of Stormhaven tonight?

Edit: As I reread your post... you post that a majority of quests are "major", then that 30 of 65 are "major". You provide no information, no xp rewards for the cadwell lines or of the other minor lines that might qualify. You just say he's wrong based on your loose numbers. I'm open to a reasoned argument. Provide one.

Ok, I'm going to say this. If there are 60 quests, and it's split with 30 major and 30 minor quests

False.

As I clearly posted, major quests (those which are"Very Hard" according to ZoS and reward 225% EXP), are limited to 5 per VR zone. All other quests fall into the 10% XP, 75% XP, 100% XP and 150% XP catagories.

Please, again, STOP MAKING STUFF UP. Post real data, or just stop posting.
    Edited by onlinegamer1 on 14 November 2014 16:10
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dinked around last night and got 100k XP's without issue - completing no Silver or Gold quests...just the miscellaneous here & there and the mobs that come with them.

Silver and Gold, by themselves, were never going to net you a Vet level.

Silver and Gold, with the side quests, the exploration, and the mobs along the way would.

The Vet Group Dungeons were also an outstanding source of XP/VP, though better prior to the scaling and XP nerf.

As mentioned previously, S&G are the biggest quests - essentially Main-line essentials intended to move the story to the next zone. Each major city (usually 4-6 of them per zone) also tend to provide larger, more rewarding quest objectives.

Again, beyond the 40+ mini-quests, dungeons, public, world bosses, and group dungeons.

Now that XP's register correctly, there is still plenty to do per zone to get you at or close to 1 vet level per...moreso now that the requirement doesn't go up as your vet level goes up.

If you're really doing it all, shouldn't be an issue. If you're picking and choosing, and avoiding mobs instead of clearing them, of course you're gonna end up short.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • NukeAllTheThings
    NukeAllTheThings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted this in one of the other XP threads and thought it would add a little to this conversation.

Here are some cold hard numbers from my activities last night. I am in EP and I was in Alik'r Desert which is Vet 4. I quested and killed for a few hours and wrote down all the XP I was awarded for quests, a solo dungeon and a world boss.

There are 42 quests in Alik'r to get Adventurer Achievement

9765 - Thwarting the Aldmeri Dominion
    499 - The Oldest Orc
    12,260 - Amputating the Hand + Skill Point
    8517 - Temple Treasures
    4990 - Restoring the Ansei Ward
    3742 - Kingdom in Mourning
    4990 - Lady Laurent's Favor
    16,0002 - Trouble at The Rain Catchers
    7485 - The Nature of Fate
    9765 - Past in Ruins
    3742 - Satak Was the First Serpent
    3742 - A Winner for Onwyn
    7485 - Gone Missing
    9765 - Left at The Altar

2718 - Giant's Camp - World Boss
    3282 - Santaki Ruins - Solo Dungeon

I started out the night w/ 179,916 xp and I finished the night with 381,028 so I gained 201,112xp. 102,012 came from quests a WB and solo dungeon and the rest came from a few POI's, a handful of treasure chests and killing most mobs in and around the quests and travels.

I did another little test this morning and I farmed zombies at Tava's Blessing and the docks nearby. In 15 minutes I gained 63,700xp.

Take from this what you will, but these are the numbers I recorded to give you a real look at what is going on with xp.
    "it's important to state that our decision to go with subscriptions is not a referendum on online game revenue models. F2P, B2P, etc. are valid, proven business models - but subscription is the one that fits ESO the best, given our commitment to freedom of gameplay, quality and long-term content delivery. Plus, players will appreciate not having to worry about being "monetized" in the middle of playing the game, which is definitely a problem that is cropping up more and more in online gaming these days." - Matt Firor
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The math actually shows the opposite. It shows that fully completing 1 VR zone = 1 VR level. This is what the developers intended! Omg! The game works!!!!!!!
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    9765 - Thwarting the Aldmeri Dominion (150%)
    499 - The Oldest Orc (10%)
    12,260 - Amputating the Hand + Skill Point (225%)
    8517 - Temple Treasures (150%)
    4990 - Restoring the Ansei Ward (100%)
    3742 - Kingdom in Mourning (75%)
    4990 - Lady Laurent's Favor (100%)
    16,0002 - Trouble at The Rain Catchers (225%)
    7485 - The Nature of Fate (150%)
    9765 - Past in Ruins (150%)
    3742 - Satak Was the First Serpent (75%)
    3742 - A Winner for Onwyn (75%)
    7485 - Gone Missing (150%)
    9765 - Left at The Altar (150%)

2718 - Giant's Camp - World Boss (n/a, distinct reward for world boss)
    3282 - Santaki Ruins - Solo Dungeon (75%)

Take from this what you will, but these are the numbers I recorded to give you a real look at what is going on with xp.

I added the XP reward percent per ZoS for each one.

Perfect evidence that the XP is too low. Thanks for posting.
  • hammer_fella
    hammer_fella
    ✭✭✭

[snip]

63,700xp in 15 mins of farming means you can rank up in 4 hours. How fast do you expect it to be?

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Rude Comments]
    Edited by ZOS_MichelleA on 14 November 2014 18:12
    Aldmeri Dominion (NA)
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Ebonheart Pact
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[snip]

63,700xp in 15 mins of farming means you can rank up in 4 hours. How fast do you expect it to be?

If you haven't been reading the thread, please refrain from replying.

I've been saying all along, that ZoS' changes require us to GRIND mobs to level.
    I then showed evidence that this is true.
    Your reply is "How is that bad?" which shows you are clueless as to the topic being discussed.

[Moderator Note: Edited quote to match moderated version]
    Edited by ZOS_MichelleA on 14 November 2014 18:13
  • Cazic
    Cazic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[snip]

Yeah.. it actually feels as fast as pre-1.5 or faster since the reduction to 1 million XP. It really doesn't need to be any faster.

Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on 14 November 2014 18:16
  • Cazic
    Cazic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[snip]

I've been saying all along, that ZoS' changes require us to GRIND mobs to level.
    Your reply is "How is that bad?" which shows you are clueless as to the topic being discussed.

You saying that the changes "require" us to grind mobs is a an unfair assumption. You will naturally kill a large number of mobs while questing, unless you intentionally avoid them.

Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on 14 November 2014 18:17
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cazic wrote: »

[snip]

You saying that the changes "require" us to grind mobs is a an unfair assumption. You will naturally kill a large number of mobs while questing, unless you intentionally avoid them.

False.

Again, I have proven factually that you cannot gain 1 VR level/VR zone by just doing the quests, dolmens, delves and world bosses and killing "whatever you would naturally kill in doing so."

In addition to all that, you MUST stand in one spot and grind mobs over and over to finish each VR level.

You can't just do quests, and a few dolmens.
    You can't just do some quests, dolmens, world bosses and delves.
    You can't just do the 5 Cadwell quests, dolmens, world bosses, delves and some grinding.

YOU HAVE NO OPTIONS ANYMORE.

YOU VILL DO EVERYTHING + GRINDING, UND YOU VILL LIKE IT.

That is what this thread is about.

Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on 14 November 2014 18:17
  • hammer_fella
    hammer_fella
    ✭✭✭

I didn't say you HAD to grind for four hours though. It just clearly illustrates how little is involved in ranking up. Your premise was that there wasn't enough content within a zone to rank up, which is obviously false. Naturally you will kill tons and tons of monsters whilst also accumulating all the quest XP @3rdwardhobocub18_ESO so kindly provided. It most certainly takes me more than 4 hours to complete a zone and a lot of that involves killing mobs. He just provided all that evidence everyone is screaming so loudly for and clearly defeated your argument, but you are evidently incapable of seeing it.
    Edited by hammer_fella on 14 November 2014 16:35
    Aldmeri Dominion (NA)
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Ebonheart Pact
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't say you HAD to grind for four hours though. It just clearly illustrates how little is involved in ranking up. Your premise was that there wasn't enough content within a zone to rank up, which is obviously false. Naturally you will kill tons and tons of monsters whilst also accumulating all the quest XP @3rdwardhobocub18_ESO so kindly provided. It most certainly takes me more than 4 hours to complete a zone and a lot of that involves killing mobs. He just provided all that evidence everyone is screaming so loudly for and clearly defeated your argument, but you are evidently incapable of seeing it.

Again, you are wrong. His data proved my point 100%. Grinding is REQUIRED NOW. Read the post above yours. Not gonna post it again.
  • Cazic
    Cazic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cazic wrote: »

[snip]

False.

Again, I have proven factually that you cannot gain 1 VR level/VR zone by just doing the quests, dolmens, delves and world bosses and killing "whatever you would naturally kill in doing so."

In addition to all that, you MUST stand in one spot and grind mobs over and over to finish each VR level.

You can't just do quests, and a few dolmens.
    You can't just do some quests, dolmens, world bosses and delves.
    You can't just do the 5 Cadwell quests, dolmens, world bosses, delves and some grinding.

YOU HAVE NO OPTIONS ANYMORE.

YOU VILL DO EVERYTHING + GRINDING, UND YOU VILL LIKE IT.

That is what this thread is about.

Yeah alright man.. Nothing personal, but I think you're far too hung up on the fine details here, and have forgotten that you can in fact still play the game and progress.

Not denying that there have been XP issues since 1.5.2, but 1.5.4 improved things a lot, and I'm sure the quest XP being fixed next patch will get things more closely in line.

I'm going to step out of this discussion because I'm not interested in doing math all day. Try not to drive yourself crazy.

Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on 14 November 2014 18:18
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The entire flaw in the OP, is the assumption that characters only receive experience from any one of the listed sources. You use a whole lot of OR's in your breakdown/claim.

You don't receive experience from quests OR monster kills OR quest boss kills OR chests OR exploration etc..

You actually receive experience from quests AND monster kills AND quest boss kills AND chests AND exploration etc..

The difference between the AND and the OR is a very significant factor that is being overlooked. When you complete a minor quest that awards 7.5k, killed 10 monsters along the way for 4.5k, 910 for the quest monster kill, that totals up to 12.9k for one minor quest. And that's if you didn't stumble across any chests, exploration, dolmens, delves, WB's, etc... along the way.

I have been casually playing my VR2 NB the last couple of days. I had just leveled to VR2 right before entering the VR2 zone. I'm already past the 50% mark of the 1mil needed, and I've still got more than half the zone left to complete.
    Edited by DenverRalphy on 14 November 2014 16:47
  • Garetth
    Garetth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I soloed a Dolmen as a V9 last night and received 5,523 total xp, that was from start to finish.

I get 974 xp from opening a treasure chest and 835 for killing a V9 troll. A group of three humanoids gives 1215 xp.

I guess I will just plan on opening 1027 treasure chests to level.

I also completed a quest that gives 600 gold as part of the reward which isn't one of Caldwell's main quests but likely the next best thing and received just over 5,200 xp.
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with @cazic and @hammer_fella because they're showing math and examples on how the experience is still leveling you up at proper speed if not faster...
  • murtrem_ESO
    murtrem_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a mathlete. I haven't checked how much xp what gives or how many of this I need to complete to get this % of my level. Instead, I decided to do the unthinkable and leave the forums to go level up a v2 alt. In every mmo including this one, I take the approach of killing everything in my path while I quest because why sneak past easy xp. I finished an entire zone, 100%, and then killed 3 mobs. Ding, v3. I didn't record it, I didn't keep track of every little thing. I just (gasp) left the damn forums and played the game. I'm happy with the rate of vet xp gained and I no longer care to read these whiny mathlete posts. Good day.
    They're called fingers but I've never seen em fing
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a mathlete. I haven't checked how much xp what gives or how many of this I need to complete to get this % of my level. Instead, I decided to do the unthinkable and leave the forums to go level up a v2 alt. In every mmo including this one, I take the approach of killing everything in my path while I quest because why sneak past easy xp. I finished an entire zone, 100%, and then killed 3 mobs. Ding, v3. I didn't record it, I didn't keep track of every little thing. I just (gasp) left the damn forums and played the game. I'm happy with the rate of vet xp gained and I no longer care to read these whiny mathlete posts. Good day.

Thanks for providing more evidence to support the issue.

ZoS, can we get a response if having to do every single thing + grind mobs is now the ONLY way to level in VR content? What happened to "play how you want"?
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭

ZoS, can we get a response if having to do every single thing + grind mobs is now the ONLY way to level in VR content? What happened to "play how you want"?

... I think you missed the point of his response... he was saying that the speed is fine and he didn't have to especially grind any harder than normal to level up?
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

... I think you missed the point of his response... he was saying that the speed is fine and he didn't have to especially grind any harder than normal to level up?

I am really getting sick of saying this. You are arguing against a point I am NOT making in this thread.

His post validates the problem, which is that players have NO OPTIONS on how to level up in VR content anymore. You MUST do 100% of every single thing on a map + grind mobs to level now. That's IT. There is NO other path.

His post PROVES that point.
  • Cazic
    Cazic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    -
    Edited by Cazic on 14 November 2014 17:50
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @onlinegamer1 I don't think you are being clear enough. Could you please tell us EXACTLY what your argument is?

/sarcasm
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am really getting sick of saying this. You are arguing against a point I am NOT making in this thread.

His post validates the problem, which is that players have NO OPTIONS on how to level up in VR content anymore. You MUST do 100% of every single thing on a map + grind mobs to level now. That's IT. There is NO other path.

You have a very skewed view of what Grinding Mobs actually means. Doing the quests, and killing monsters that cross your path along the way, is not the same thing as doing 100% of the content and grinding mobs.

Grinding insinuates you have to go out and kill every last monster you can possibly find, wait for them to respawn, kill them again, rinse, repeat.

Designing a zone to provide just the right amount experience by completing all the quests and objectives, engaging in combat along the way before entering the next zone, is pretty standard fare for all MMO's.

[edit]And yes, there are other pathes. You can PvP. You can do Dungeons. You can do the daily Pledges.
    Edited by DenverRalphy on 14 November 2014 17:43
  • hammer_fella
    hammer_fella
    ✭✭✭

Of course this isn't true, you can do any number of combinations of the things you mentioned (yes, some of which will include killing things GASP!) but there is no reason you couldn't rank up in a variety of ways. But please, clarify for us: what is the other path you keep talking about?

When has there ever been an other path and what was it? In what alternate universe were you ever able to gain a VR without doing the majority of the content in a zone and/or killing mobs? I am utterly confused at this point as to what you expect to see versus what is currently in operation.
    Aldmeri Dominion (NA)
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Ebonheart Pact
  • NukeAllTheThings
    NukeAllTheThings
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course this isn't true, you can do any number of combinations of the things you mentioned (yes, some of which will include killing things GASP!) but there is no reason you couldn't rank up in a variety of ways. But please, clarify for us: what is the other path you keep talking about?

When has there ever been an other path and what was it? In what alternate universe were you ever able to gain a VR without doing the majority of the content in a zone and/or killing mobs? I am utterly confused at this point as to what you expect to see versus what is currently in operation.

Not speaking for him, but I skipped Cadwell's gold completely on an alt and grinded bosses in Craglorn from V5 to 11
    "it's important to state that our decision to go with subscriptions is not a referendum on online game revenue models. F2P, B2P, etc. are valid, proven business models - but subscription is the one that fits ESO the best, given our commitment to freedom of gameplay, quality and long-term content delivery. Plus, players will appreciate not having to worry about being "monetized" in the middle of playing the game, which is definitely a problem that is cropping up more and more in online gaming these days." - Matt Firor