The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Oh ZoS - You have let us down!

• Victus
    Victus
    ✭✭✭
    Kilandros wrote: »
    Nerio wrote: »
    I don't recall any complaints when there were system messages posted about bot banning. Everything about that was the same, the words were just different.

Just like "thank you" and "#### you" are the same, right? They're both messages, the words were just different.

Because advertising is the same as saying _____ you?

No use in resorting to hyperbole to indicate you don't like it.
    Throm the First - Redguard Dragon Knight - Daggerfall Covenant
    Options
  • Nerio
    Nerio
    ✭✭✭
    I don't recall any complaints when there were system messages posted about bot banning. Everything about that was the same, the words were just different.

Just like "thank you" and "#### you" are the same, right? They're both messages, the words were just different.

Sure, but a lot of the complaints seem to be about the prominent yellow text and the interruption in game play. Just seems a little fickle.
    Options
  • Brasseurfb16_ESO
    Brasseurfb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am very sorry to inform you ZO$, it so happens that after my head got beaten so many times by your intrusive and amateuristic marketing team with a stick, I got brain damaged and I am now incapable to remember how to use my wallet...
    Options
  • Betahkiin
    Betahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭
    First complained about the subscription model until finally changed. Then they began to complain about Crown Store. Now complain of an advertisement promoting the average income to finance the game. It seems that what we seek to eliminate is no subscription, no shop, no pop ups but the game itself. They resent an occasional announcement that only seeks to promote source of income for a model that was requested by those who today are still complaining.

Stop messing the game and the forum with repeated and meaningless themes that clearly do not seek more than weaken the common opinion and hinder any attempt to finance this video game.

Rather than a post with alarmist titles and evidently intended to cause sensationalism make a positive contribution proving the alleged interest on the video game, otherwise reveal that only want is to harm the game and the community.
    Edited by Betahkiin on April 17, 2015 10:01PM
    Options
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Victus wrote: »

Looks more like a comment that context matters than a literal comparison that "bot removal status = thank you / advertising = ______ you".
    Options
  • Sylvyr
    Sylvyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One other factor/perspective in all this.

I expect cheesy stuff like this if I were to play a game like facebook mafia wars or farmville or what have you. Over the last few years tons of these catchy mainstream cheese games have popped up everywhere. Free to play! But you can get stronger allies for $4.99! And this concept, "microtransaction", has shown up in games that aren't cheesy, but big production titles like Diablo or the hordes that have gone this way.

Elder scrolls goes way back before all that crap. When the game was about being awesome. Sure it was about making money too, which naturally came from an awesome game. But not to the extent we are seeing in ESO:Farmville. It's big money. Video games used to be a niche thing, but now that it has grown so big and it's not just for nerds and geeks anymore it has the attention of big business, which is only in it for more money, more power.

Kind of like the internet. It used to be some little academic project, slowly grew, and after big business got into it, we got cookies that learn about us, we get "tailored" ads, we got email services that read our emails for marketing purposes, we get email spam every day, and on and on....

Just kinda sad TES is now in this boat.

I was reallllllly looking forward to Fallout Online. Fallout series was one of my all time favs. But if Zeni has anything to do with it, no way.

Badge: Wall-of-Text GRANDMASTER

PvP: Patch Vs. Player

ZoSence (n.):
    1) What is reasonable or comprehensive using ZoS logic. "That makes ZoSense"
    2) Making zero sense. "That makes ZoSense"
    Options
  • Kilandros
    Kilandros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Victus wrote: »

An analogy isn't hyperbole--even when you don't get the analogy.
    Invictus
    Kilandros - Dragonknight / Grand Overlord
    Deimos - Templar / Grand Warlord
    Sias - Sorcerer / Prefect
    Short answer is DKs likely won't be seeing a ton of changes before we go live; this class is still quite powerful (as it should be being a tank), even after some of the adjustments we've made to other classes and abilities.

DK IS NOT JUST A TANK CLASS. #PLAYTHEWAYYOUWANT
    Options
  • tengri
    tengri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can bring that flashy annoying yellow on-screen message back when you have actually something worth buying... as in new DLC. I am sure I do not want to miss that.
    But until then... I might have a few ideas where to stick it in the meantime...
    Options
  • Zathras
    Zathras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Garion wrote: »
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    Just to clarify - some of you are paid subscribers who are seeing these ads?

I have two subbed accounts, and was not online during either the "pet" or the "senche" ads.

I am a subscriber (although it is due to expire and I won't be renewing) and I saw it.

Yeah, I unsubbed and had my credit card info scrubbed from their database. I am going to be at least one person on their metric who puts their money where their mouth is when I say, "No." to this radical shift. I did not subscribe to be exposed to this crap. I am also dissatisfied with the general route I see the Cash Shop slipping into.

This consumer is going elsewhere.
    For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen. - Douglas Adams

It is a rare mind indeed that can render the hitherto non-existent blindingly obvious. The cry 'I could have thought of that' is a very popular and misleading one, for the fact is that they didn't, and a very significant and revealing fact it is too. - Douglas Adams
    Options
  • Kilandros
    Kilandros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Sure, but a lot of the complaints seem to be about the prominent yellow text and the interruption in game play. Just seems a little fickle.

I don't really think it's fickle. I think most would agree that important system announcements (e.g., the system is going down for a hot fix) sometimes need to be made prominent. But that doesn't mean ALL messages deserve the same treatment.
    Invictus
    Kilandros - Dragonknight / Grand Overlord
    Deimos - Templar / Grand Warlord
    Sias - Sorcerer / Prefect
    Short answer is DKs likely won't be seeing a ton of changes before we go live; this class is still quite powerful (as it should be being a tank), even after some of the adjustments we've made to other classes and abilities.

DK IS NOT JUST A TANK CLASS. #PLAYTHEWAYYOUWANT
    Options
  • Worstluck
    Worstluck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't read the whole thread sorry, but I just wanted to say messages like that should be reserved for important announcements regarding the game/server, like unplanned maintenance or the like. Personally I have not seen these messages, but I would be slightly annoyed if I did.

If you want to get the word out about a product or special, use the mail system. That way the user can delete the message or read it if they care to.
    Worstluck - Breton Nightblade "Some of us refused to bow. We knew the old ways would lead us back to having a kingdom of our own."
    ―Madanach
    Elfluck - Dunmer Dragonknight "When I will walk the earth again, the Faithful among you shall receive your reward: to be set above all other mortals forever. As for the rest: the weak shall be winnowed: the timid shall be cast down: the mighty shall tremble at my feet and pray for pardon."
    ―Mehrunes Dagon
    Deadluck -Imperial Templar "Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour"
    ―Uriel Septim

Daggerfall Covenant
    Options
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am not interested in any limited offers and I loathe pop-up ads. If you insist on advertising the senche to me in game as well as in the launcher, please send me a mail. Flashing yellow text all across the screen should be reserved for system messages. Thank you.
    Edited by Rosveen on April 17, 2015 10:28PM
    Options
  • Gandrhulf_Harbard
    Gandrhulf_Harbard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just have to ask:

What is it about these messages that makes people so angry? Why is it this particular form of messaging that you find so hard to ignore? Or are we really just looking for reasons to complain about a completely innocuous practice?

One of the big things for me with games like this is immersion.

I love being totally immersed in a well executed and brilliantly realised game-world; it was what kept me playing LotRO for so long.

Big yellow messages across the middle of my screen in three different languages break that immersion; especially when they are telling me something that a) I have already been told, at least twice and b) are trying to suck more money out of my wallet in a game I'm already paying a premium-rate subscription for.

I understand that ZoS need to make money, that is why I am happy to pay a sub for a game I could play for free.

All The Best
    Those memories come back to haunt me, they haunt me like a curse.
    Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse.
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worstluck wrote: »
    I haven't read the whole thread sorry, but I just wanted to say messages like that should be reserved for important announcements regarding the game/server, like unplanned maintenance or the like. Personally I have not seen these messages, but I would be slightly annoyed if I did.

If you want to get the word out about a product or special, use the mail system. That way the user can delete the message or read it if they care to.

I suggested email but this would be a good idea too.

It would work both ways: It's less invasive than a message splashed across the screen and those who really don't like it can delete it as soon as they know what it is. But it also gets it out to everyone, instead of just people who happen to be online at the time.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • Gandrhulf_Harbard
    Gandrhulf_Harbard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Whatever. The game is dope. It has kept me engrossed for over a year and I still want to play every day. Even with its problems and sure we need new content soon, it's still way better than all the other games.

I'm in broad agreement with this.

The difference for me is if the game company is going to treat me like free-loading nab then I'll be a free-loading nab, rather than paying my sub and getting the "Premium" experience - which for me includes no in-your-face, immersion-breaking ads.

All The Best
    Those memories come back to haunt me, they haunt me like a curse.
    Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse.
    Options
  • Genomic
    Genomic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Betahkiin wrote: »
    First complained about the subscription model until finally changed. Then they began to complain about Crown Store. Now complain of an advertisement promoting the average income to finance the game. It seems that what we seek to eliminate is no subscription, no shop, no pop ups but the game itself. They resent an occasional announcement that only seeks to promote source of income for a model that was requested by those who today are still complaining.

Stop messing the game and the forum with repeated and meaningless themes that clearly do not seek more than weaken the common opinion and hinder any attempt to finance this video game.

Rather than a post with alarmist titles and evidently intended to cause sensationalism make a positive contribution proving the alleged interest on the video game, otherwise reveal that only want is to harm the game and the community.

For Dog's sake man, people have different opinions. Some were opposed to the sub, some weren't. It's not a hive mind here, despite your odd comments about 'weakening the common opinion' which seem to indicate you wish it were.

I think in particular people who paid a sub and continue to do so even when they didn't have to have to are fairly justified in being upset about in-game advertising.
    Options
  • grimsfield
    grimsfield
    ✭✭✭
    Hey guys, thanks for your feedback. We want to make sure everyone is aware that the Senche-Leopard is available - and only for a short time - so nobody misses out on the opportunity. We only plan on messaging this once per day, and want to hit each language (EN, DE, and FR) as these are multilingual megaservers.

I really can't imagine a worse answer. Its like you've completely ignored everything everyone has been saying and just continued to state your advertisement. It's almost as bad as the initial response ZoS sends us when we submit a ticket.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on rude comments]
    Edited by ZOS_MichelleA on April 17, 2015 11:17PM
    Options
  • Arezius
    Arezius
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, I didnt realise people were this angry about adverts... So much for the multi-millions worth industry that nobody apparently wants.... And unlike tv were I have to sit through literally 15 minutes of the same adverts, often advertising the same channel and even the programme I was just watching, here its only a few seconds. Or you can even block it with an addon like I do with internet adverts. Heck you probably wasted more timing complaining about it and not being immersed than if you had just ignored it. By the way whoever was angry about utube adverts, get adblocker on chrome, I watch utube all night without any adverts. Advertising is just advertising, its sadly an accepted practise everyone has come to expect. I cant see this as being as intrusive as it could be... I've seen much much worse... And besides the main reason I'd imagine its happening is so no idiot can come and complain they didnt know about the deal and then cry about missing the leopard. Why you all have decided to 'punish' ESO by threatening to stop your subs is beyond me... it seems childish. Just because it flashed a message across your screen for a few minutes you want to give up the in game boost, the crowns, and access to upcoming DLC? Its throwing a tantrum and trying to force the parent to pay attention so that the brat gets its way, or like the old saying, cutting off your nose to spite the face. If you really want a say just calmly express your dislike maturely and move on. They do listen to their players, thats why you got the message in the first place, because they have to try and sell these things instead of living off a sub. Just do what I do with the insane amount of marketing I get exposed to and ignore it. It'll go away after this weekend anyway. I dont think its the start of Vegas style advertising... Thats just insanely paranoid. And thats coming from me.... Stop expecting the worse to happen, or you'll only see the bad and completely miss the good.

Coming from other MMOs, they start nicely and then it gets worse by the day if we don't say anything, that's why we talk as much now. We don't want this game to become like others.
    Look at Everquest, SWTOR, Rift, ... They all began nicely, and then look at what they've become today.
    We have to speak up now, before it's too late.

We can just wait and see what the game will become in one year. We'll see.
    Options
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    grimsfield wrote: »
    I really can't imagine a worse answer. Its like you've completely ignored everything everyone has been saying and just continued to state your advertisement. It's almost as bad as the initial response ZoS sends us when we submit a ticket.
    It's her job to defend this, what can she do?

[Moderator Note: Edited quote to match moderated version]
    Edited by ZOS_MichelleA on April 17, 2015 11:28PM
    Options
  • WhiskyBob
    WhiskyBob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zenimax please stop pretending and bring the huge glowing and sparkling item store icon. This is what you want your game to become anyway. A bloody contentless vanity fair money grab.

Just stop f* pretending!
    Options
  • Apothecy
    Apothecy
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly don't mind this, as long as they only do it while there is a limited time item in the crown store, stating that this item is only available for a limited time. Some people don't check the forums for info like this, or might keep the launcher open at all times (like me) which doesn't update the headlines. Once a day for 5 days (in this case), for roughly 30 seconds a day really isn't that bad.
    Main: Imperial -- Nightblade -- LVL 50
    Faction: Daggerfall Covenant
    Platform: PC
    Options
  • Valen_Byte
    Valen_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey guys, thanks for your feedback. We want to make sure everyone is aware that the Senche-Leopard is available - and only for a short time - so nobody misses out on the opportunity. We only plan on messaging this once per day, and want to hit each language (EN, DE, and FR) as these are multilingual megaservers.

@ZOS_GinaBruno You must have missed the Poll with nearly 80% of the people who said this was not acceptable to them. I will link it for you.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/164507/are-on-screen-advertisements-for-the-crown-store-acceptable/p1
    Edited by Valen_Byte on April 17, 2015 10:48PM
    ***Dixon Kay MagDK FORMER EMPEROR***Deca Dix MagDK FORMER EMPORER***Valonious MagPlar FORMER EMPEROR***
    GM of BYTE
    MAY YOUR DEATHS BE SWIFT, AND YOUR LOAD SCREENS LONG.
    And alien tears will fill for him, Pity’s long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't say I really like the giant notification on the screen.

There is a news section on the launcher, there is a news section on the website, there is Facebook and Twitter. We really don't need in game pop-ups saying as well.

Also doing this during a welcome back weekend isn't going to help convince some of the sceptical players back if they see as what others have said pushy cash grabbing announcements.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options
  • Jaxsun
    Jaxsun
    ✭✭✭✭

Olololololol, you posted an ad for the new cash shop item in the thread where people are complaining about you advertising the very same cash shop item. C'mon man! Have you no shame...
    Options
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno That really was a horrible response to something that is not well liked. I really feel badly that you have to defend yet another stupid action by your employer.

My sub is up the end of May. I am edging closer and closer to not renewing every time something idiotic like this happens. i have not made a final decision on this yet. I see that some have however. If you care at all about those who are gritting their teeth and subscribing, you'll stop doing stuff like this.
    Options
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do think the msg is a bit of a hassle, ive seen it 3 times (x3 in each lagnuage) today.

PC EU
    PvP only
    Options
  • Betahkiin
    Betahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Genomic wrote: »
    Betahkiin wrote: »

For Dog's sake man, people have different opinions. Some were opposed to the sub, some weren't. It's not a hive mind here, despite your odd comments about 'weakening the common opinion' which seem to indicate you wish it were.

I think in particular people who paid a sub and continue to do so even when they didn't have to have to are fairly justified in being upset about in-game advertising.

None of these comments contributes constructively, the titles are sensationalist and seek to create a dramatic impact on readers.

The complaints focus on destructive criticism, disrespect, baseless innuendo, speculation and desirability manipulation of a given situation.

From 2 to 3 open discussions on simultaneously in relation to the same claim is not an expression of a different opinion, is a means for a particular purpose which no doubt it is with negative intentions.

Most comments not only show great discomfort, also take advantage of the situation to speculate on the imminent failure of TESO and do stress upon this point even availing baseless speculation, ZOS no need apocalyptic scenes and drama to understand the desires of consumers.

Mock those who are in charge of making decisions in ZOS cataloging as inoperative is disrespectful. The community does not need a forum full of spilled bad intentions or disguised hatred.

When you care for something or someone and you see is going for a wrong way you do not attack, insult and beat.

In cases like these, and when one's intention is sincere and true, comes to providing solutions, demonstrate the non-compliance and join in the process trying to guide in a respectful manner.

I like the difference of opinion and that this is expressed in a respectful and constructive manner, what I do not like is the covert manipulation and sensationalist campaigns.
    Options
  • TD5160_ESO
    TD5160_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    P3ZZL3 wrote: »

Don't speak for everyone. I am not disappointed at all. Seriously, this fanbase has some the most entitled group of fans I have met. Not all, but definitely a lot.
    Edited by TD5160_ESO on April 17, 2015 11:57PM
    Options
  • melodeath
    melodeath
    ✭✭✭
    when i watch television, i do so to see a movie/news..when the commercials start i get a headache and turn off the tv.. because i dont like to be reminded that theres yet another overpriced piece of garbage on the market.

when i play video games, i play for fun.. not to have an advertisement about an overpriced piece of garbage beeing thrown at me covering half the screen..

i know that this kind of crap is now your income but whoever thinks this is a great idea for the ENTIRE playerbase is clearly wrong..

i saw it.. and immediatly pressed alt f4. so i'm pretty sure that way of advertising isnt really appealing..
    Options
  • Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TD5160_ESO wrote: »
    P3ZZL3 wrote: »

Don't speak for everyone. I am not disappointed at all. Seriously, this fanbase has some the most entitled group of fans I have met. Not all, but definitely a lot.

It's not That they're advertising it's Where they are advertising.

Location location location.

Everyone knows there's a noticeable difference between kids swimming around peeing in a public pool, and kids standing around peeing into a public pool.
    Options